JKB Player of the Year 2007/08

portobellojambo1

portobellojambo1

Well, that is the season over, and all the votes counted up (the total number of votes cast over the 44 games was 6,924) and it produced the following result.

POTY as voted by JKB members - Ruben Palazuelos.

We were originally keeping results on the basis of awarding 5 points for finishing 1st in a poll, 3 for finishing 2nd and 1 for finishing 3rd (with the points being split accordingly if there were ties in certain positions) but someone asked if they could see results based purely on those winning the polls.

So here they are -

Basis 1 (overall points)

Ruben Palazuelos

Eggert Jonsson

Andrew Driver

Michael Stewart

Saulius Mikoliunas

Laryea Kingston

Ibrahim Tall

Steve Banks

Christian Nade

Christophe Berra

Andrius Velicka

Robbie Neilson

Deividas Cesnauskis

Christos Karipidis

Gary Glen

Audrius Ksanavicius

Lee Wallace

Calum Elliot

Anthony Basso

Fernando Screpis

Ryan McGowan

Marius Zaliukas

Jose Goncalves

Eduardas Kurskis

Kestutis Ivaskevicius

Jamie Mole

Basis 2 (individual matches finishing top)

Ruben Palazuelos

Andrew Driver

Eggert Jonsson

Saulius Mikoliunas

Michael Stewart

Steve Banks

Ibrahim Tall

Christian Nade

Andrius Velicka

Christophe Berra

Laryea Kingston

Audrius Ksanavicius

Deividas Cesnauskis

Calum Elliot

Lee Wallace

Gary Glen

Anthony Basso

Fernando Screpis

Ryan McGowan

As some may be aware from previous polls an award will be presented to the winner on behalf of the membership of JKB, we were originally hoping to tie this in with some sort of function, but having spoken to HMFC and the administrators of JKB, we couldn't get a date which suited both sides. Amendments will be made next season to ensure the final result is based on games up to a certain date, enabling us to have more scope to prepare things within a better timescale next time round.

However I have been in constant contact with HMFC direct and the presentation will be made up at Riccarton shortly before the start of the new season, with JKB taking along a photographer, so everything can be brought back to the website on this occasion.

Thank you for participating, and remember, I just collate all the information, it is the body of members who do the voting. In truth what the results do show is we did not have a single player who shone throughout the season, players played well in little bursts in some instances.

Pete Seeger

How the hell can Audrey have scored any points! I take it his one game was the 4-2 Rangers game? Anyway well done on running the poty again this year.

Ruben Palazuelos player of the year - oh deary me - he can't shoot, can't pass, can't tackle, gets caught in possession in stupid areas - wouldn't even have got in the squad in Burley's team

Nice work PJ1 :)

Makes interesting reading at the bottom end of the table too...Goncalves has played around 30 games for us this season and must have had a consistently horrific rating right the way through to get that place on the table.

I'm a bit surprised that Karipidis ended up that far down...and perhaps Lee Wallace too....and I don't think Ibby deserves to be a few places above Berra...but the stats don't lie I suppose.

Shows what a waste of time the poll is.

Although the points may look a bit skewed considering...

Every one of the first second and third for each game was pretty accurate, and how folk felt immediately after the game.

PJ1 - good efort

davemclaren

Thanks or your efforts Iain. Not an easy season to identify who deserves the award tbh.

portobellojambo1
Thanks or your efforts Iain. Not an easy season to identify who deserves the award tbh.

Agree dave, and fully understand those that might say nobody deserves it.

The danger there is if we had delayed it for a year and, God forbid, next year turned out to be as bad as this, and so on. When do you eventually start making the award, who determines what is a good season.

Commander Harris

thanks for all your work pbj - much appreciated.

Commander Harris
I can't believe someone actually voted for Kurskis! :laugh:

I think he won on the day when he had his truly shocking game - ironic voting won the day.

That's just from memory, I couldn't say for sure.

I can't believe someone actually voted for Kurskis! :laugh:

I voted for Kurskis in one game if I remember right. I think it was the one he played after the horror show sending off? Can't remember who it was but he was way better than the rest of our rank team in that game.

As for Palazuelos, fair play to those who voted for him. I wouldn't have him close. Ineffective player.

Guest Dipped Flake
I voted for Kurskis in one game if I remember right. I think it was the one he played after the horror show sending off? Can't remember who it was but he was way better than the rest of our rank team in that game.

As for Palazuelos, fair play to those who voted for him. I wouldn't have him close. Ineffective player.

I voted for Kurskis once too in the same game as yourself. Just thought that he deserved it for being able to even catch a ball after being crucified (rightly so) in the previous game. Quite happy with Ruben as POTY...

portobellojambo1

Kurskis picked up his points in the games versus Rangers and ICT Coco, I suspect a lot of the votes were cast for him (I was going to say in sympathy but it isn't really the right term) for reasons other than performance related.

Guest GhostHunter

I say, scrap player of the year award, and award the prize to the Grounds Staff at Tynie for keeping the pitch playable all year.

After all, the only decent thing about last season, was watching the grass grow.

:D

Well done Iain,

Unfortunately, the results are a little askew as one of the players mums votes her boy every week he plays!

ClevelandDriver_600x600.jpg

;)

John Findlay

I personally believe the correct result was achieved and the winner deserves it.

John

Got to give you some respect PJ1 for sticking with the poty thing as some weeks you must have been embaressed to ask the question.

The only thing I can take from the results is that Ruben and Eggart are at the top simply because they were the most consistant over the season.

• 3 months later...
Got to give you some respect PJ1 for sticking with the poty thing as some weeks you must have been embaressed to ask the question.

The only thing I can take from the results is that Ruben and Eggart are at the top simply because they were the most consistant over the season.

Exactly.

Anyway,the presentation to Ruben took place at Riccarton lunchtime yesterday. Ruben was genuinely thrilled to receive this award, his girlfriend even turned up to see the presentation, and we will post some photos of the event over the weekend ( once the official photographer completes her work ).

CornhillHearts

Somes the knowledge of K***back on footballers perfectly, the fact he is not playing this season under Csaba can be overlooked-what a result fantastic.

loveofthegame
Somes the knowledge of K***back on footballers perfectly, the fact he is not playing this season under Csaba can be overlooked-what a result fantastic.

The fact he is not playing this season influences him getting LAST season's POTY award?!

FWIW i've never rated Ruben that highly, but if you attended last seasons games you'll know that there wasn't exactly a lot of players competing for the award... He was probably as worthy as anyone else.

Exactly.

Anyway,the presentation to Ruben took place at Riccarton lunchtime yesterday. Ruben was genuinely thrilled to receive this award, his girlfriend even turned up to see the presentation, and we will post some photos of the event over the weekend ( once the official photographer completes her work ).

I was present at this.

I can echo Dave's comments, Ruben was genuinely pleased and grateful. He was perfectly happy to pose for pictures with us (I would suggest that it was only because my svelte body made him look good!) and came across as a genuinely nice guy.

As a little aside, Ruben and his girlfriend were there and three or four players walked past us, they all spoke to Rubens girlfriend and all seem to be friendly off the pitch. Hearts being Hearts, this has not always appeared the case and it was pleasing to see a little camaradarie (sp?) between team mates.

I would like to thank the guys that asked me along, Jambo Jim, Ruben and his girlfriend.

One detraction, he was wearing green trainers.:mad::boak:

Archived