Whisky

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Aye bash on then making fine, aged whisky produced by experts, for years, taste like sugar.

Cheap shite like Scottish Leader, bash on with flavours.

But a proper single malt? Off yer rocker.

I'd agree with you, personally speaking, but if someone wants to then that's their shout. And that's all I was getting at.

I'm quite enjoying Monkey shoulder just now...anyone else tried it ?

Yes, had it a while back and enjoyed it.

Every single whisky expert I've met (more than one or two as well) have said drink your whisky with what you like. You want it with coke, cool. You want it neat, cool. Bit of ice? Fire away.

Legitimately never met an actual expert (rather than the self proclaimed ones) that has been snobbish about that thing.

Creepy Lurker

My understanding is that at most points in its history at which it's been most popular, whisky's been mainly drunk mixed. The whole 'only have single malt, never dilute and never mix' is mainly a late twentieth-century thing and has played a large part in giving whisky a stuffy, 'it's for old men' reputation. Like any spirit, how best to enjoy it is subjective. Having said that, I can't understand why anyone would buy a decent quality single malt and have it with any more than a little water. Mixing should, imo, mainly be kept to blends, and different blends work with different mixers.

And sadly, the Highland Park's gone right downhill recently.

How d'you mean?

Stuff that was produced 12 years ago? Has there been a management change? Different casks for the maturation? Genuinely interested as I'd've thought the one thing they'd strive for is consistency.

King Of The Cat Cafe

Don't often drink them, but I like the smoothness of Black Bush. For a hot toddy, Powers hits the mark. Great for a summer cold, or that is my excuse.

Yes, I know they have Es......

How d'you mean?

Stuff that was produced 12 years ago? Has there been a management change? Different casks for the maturation? Genuinely interested as I'd've thought the one thing they'd strive for is consistency.

Probably as a result of ther cask policy. You're always at the mercy of whoever supplies your casks and often you have to take whatever's available, so if your casks aren't removing immaturity (sulphurs, metallic notes etc) then your whisky will ultimately suffer. Get the impression Edrington have been struggling with stock for a while as well, hence why they've been going over the top with non-age statement releases of late.

According to their tour guide (if I remember correctly) HP do their own casks from forests they own in Spain and US. We had a sniff of one of each and there was a distinct difference...I just assumed they'd mix together so much of each to get that consistently similar product.

I am most certainly not a whisky connoisseur so I wouldn't even recognise if there was a wee difference in what I'm drinking.

It's something I have wanted to give a go at lately. Got a 18yo glenfiddich that I got 11years ago for my 18th. Do you think it's best to open that for a drink or try a few first and get the taste so I can enjoy it properly (if that makes sense).

Just back from a holiday in Brittany, having a meal at village inn near our gite when barman appears at the next table with a full bottle of whisky (William Lawson's must be export only) and a litr bottle of coke. The three young French guys at the table were half way through the bottle by the time I finished my meal. Generally whisky seems popular in France with all ages.

Just back from a holiday in Brittany, having a meal at village inn near our gite when barman appears at the next table with a full bottle of whisky (William Lawson's must be export only) and a litr bottle of coke. The three young French guys at the table were half way through the bottle by the time I finished my meal. Generally whisky seems popular in France with all ages.

I think the youth on the continent really dig whisky.

I remember being in Oddbins once and tested a Glen Keith (I think). The chap in the shop said that this distiller produced a 5yr old for export to Italy as it was all the rave as an aperitif - almost clear in colour due to its young age.

It's something I have wanted to give a go at lately. Got a 18yo glenfiddich that I got 11years ago for my 18th. Do you think it's best to open that for a drink or try a few first and get the taste so I can enjoy it properly (if that makes sense).

An 18 year-old Glenfiddich will be very nice, so why wait? Pour a generous amount, at least 50 ml, into a crystal whisky tumbler, and add no more than half a teaspoonful of water. I'm old fashioned enough to believe that malt whisky should always be served in crystal.

Sip it slowly; make that one drink last an hour. Don't swallow too fast. Let the whisky flow over your taste buds. mmmmmmh!

Got a bottle of Whyte & Mackay Limited Edition Millenium,never been opened.

Carl Fredrickson

I think the youth on the continent really dig whisky.

I remember being in Oddbins once and tested a Glen Keith (I think). The chap in the shop said that this distiller produced a 5yr old for export to Italy as it was all the rave as an aperitif - almost clear in colour due to its young age.

I was told at a whisky tasting night that all whisky is naturally clear and that the colours are added in. This was a guy who worked for Springbank so I had/have no reason to doubt him.

I was told at a whisky tasting night that all whisky is naturally clear and that the colours are added in. This was a guy who worked for Springbank so I had/have no reason to doubt him.

There you go. Learn a new thing every day!

I assumed it was due to ageing in whichever barrel that gave it the distinct colouring.

There you go. Learn a new thing every day!

I assumed it was due to ageing in whichever barrel that gave it the distinct colouring.

I was at Ardbeg distillery on a tour and yes (IIRC) the colour comes from the clear whisky being in the barrel.

I also tasted some of the pre-distilled barley liquid, after the yeast has been added. About 7%, tasted like a warm, smoky ale. Not as bad as it sounds!

Never cared for Jura or Macallan too much though, far too sulphury and heavy for my palate. And sadly, the Highland Park's gone right downhill recently.

Funny I'd thought the same about HP but without your expert knowledge - I must have a cultured palate! I like Macallan but agree on Jura. Had a few nips and thought it was good but got a bottle and actually think it's pretty bland.

Currently got a nip left of a wonderful Mortlach 21, have a Glenfiddich 18 which is a whisky I really like - have a 12 I won in a raffle which I don't - an Oban, a Dalmore 15, an HP 12 and a surprisingly good Balblair. Also love Balvenie, which I need to stock up on, as well as Springbank

Carl Fredrickson

Re the colouring - I had always though it came from the barells too but the guy said some folk say that to add to the "romance" of the drink.

Age of the whisky isnt a big thing either. We tasted a blend as the first one and we were all excited about the 5th or 6th one which was a 50 year old single malt,

The excitement wasnt worth it as the blend was far superior. It taught me not to be a malt snob. There are good and bad blends and good and bad malts.

Forgot to mention Dalwhinnie.

That's a nice drop, imo.

I've got a cask condition whisky from the Edinburgh Whisky Association (?) I've left it at my Dad's but it's strong. Drunk neat, you don't swallow it as it simply evaporates on your tongue!

There is no such thing as a bad whisky, just some are better than others. (there is an exception to every rule).

I like Dalwhinnie too, I like most speysides. Johnnie Walker double black is really nice, The Macallan in every form I have ever tasted is .... nectar in the extreme.

And as for those who put anything in your whisky......... just enjoy it, there are no rules, even with coke it's better than anything else, challenge the whisky snobs.

And WhsikEy is not whisky, it's foreign.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Enjoying an Isle of Jura tonight and would just like to reiterate what I said earlier it is one of the best. :2thumbsup:

Jack Daniels is the only whiskEy for this gadgey.

PMSL.....try a whisky..... it's your duty.

Booked the Glenkinchie distillery tour and tasting on the back of this thread. :lol:

Better be good!

I work at the whisky society but the queen at venue rather than the Leith one that the other guy mentioned (same company). Anyway I'm one of their ambassadors doing the tastings and that for almost 3 years so can probably answer most questions or give a decent educated guess.

Re: water. If you think about the atoms that make up the Whisky. They are sitting in quite a stable situation or in balance if you like. This is true with cask strength whisky or one that has been watered down by the distillery before bottling (as they will have kept the whisky in a vat for a number of months to allow the flavours to marry together) therefore if your adding roomtemp water (or water the same temp at the whisky) then it upsets that balance, the atoms will move around more (have more energy) and the drink as a whole will actually heat up slightly and that just brings out more flavours and more aromas. However adding cold water or ice does the opposite, it will cool the atoms down and therefore close the flavours down.

I'd say 8 or 9 Times out of ten it improves the flavours of the whisky. However not always and equally everyone's palate is different so may improve for some people with certain whiskies while for other they prefer it neat. However as I always say, if your trying the whisky for the first time then I'd try it both with and without as it does dramatically change the flavour.

Similarly a lot of tasters who write reviews will warm the glass of whisky in their hands as again this will make the atoms more energetic so release more flavour.

Re: highland et al. Standard bottlings 'not as good' or different. Yes distilleries want to make their releases and batches of a certain release eg. HP 12yo the same. However as mentioned factors change. Maybe cask supplier, maybe even as simple as the masterblender has changed. There recipe is no doubt the same (80% first fill ex sherry cask 20 % 2nd fill I think it is) but the finally tweaking may now be someone different.

Also whisky has boomed in the last 20years. Much more than most Whisky companies predicted. Therefore there is a short of aged casks to meet demand.

A 12yo just means the youngest cask in that 'blend ' or mix of casks. So a hp 12yo could well include older casks they kept back for future use to fill the gap from a lack of 12yo casks. Which may mean the taste isn't quite the same... Although shouldn't be too different.

This is also why a lot of distilleries are now releasing non age statement whiskies. Like talisker storm. It allows them to use Whisky as young as 3yo in their mix.. Even if it does average 12yo overall --- they'd still have to put 3yo on the bottle if they put an age.

Technically. If Johnny walker blue put an age on their bottle it would probably be about 6 or 7yo. Even tho it probably averages in the 30s

• 9 months later...

Old Pulteney 12 year old is nice - goes down smooth before a warm finish.

I love the Ben Nevis 10 year old
The Japanese N I K K A Yoichi 10 year old is superb.

The best I've had is probably the Glenglassaugh 30 year old - really fruity & brilliant.

Archived