Will anyone actually watch an SPL game next season?

i8hibsh

Guest oldcastlerock2012

I never watch non-hearts spl games even when we were in the league. It's the empty stands so you can hear the players shouting to each other in most games I can't stand. Makes it all feel very amateurish.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From countries reaching at least the 1/4 finals there were 37 EPL players by my count, with 6 in the Final. Not too bad considering!

Ozil, Mertesacker, Podolski, Schurrle, Joel Campbell, Vlaar, Van Persie, Krul, Worm, De Guzman, Hazard, Courtois*, Lukaku, Mirallas, Fellaini, Januzaj, Chadli, Dembele, Vertonghen, Paulinho, Luiz**, Oscar, Ramires, Willian, Fernadinho, Sahko, Evra**, Lloris, Debauchy, Sissoko, Remy, Koscielny, Giroud, Schneiderlin, Aguerro, Zabaleta, Demichelis!

*will be next season and owned by Chelsea

** know they are moving away from the EPL for next season

I've highlighted the ones who played well in the WC.

Franco Fascione

Absolutely no reason to watch the Premiership next season. Another Celtic borefest.

The Championship is where it's at.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Am I right in saying that BBC ALBA have exclusive rights to the championship? if so they must be rubbing their hands.

Nope - our first two games are on Sky. BT will also be showing our games, as well as Alba.

EDIT: Also, I will watch any Scottish game whenever I can, I think we've got a responsibility to support our game, plus Scottish teams are the only ones I care about.

Seriously doubt I'll watch any, if on in pub before games possibly. Aberdeen Dundee Utd capable of having good games but I have no interest in them.

Clerry Jambo

Nope. I will keep an eye on the table for potential playoff opponents though.

Snap

I was simply replying to your point about very few EPL players participating in the later stages, which was wrong.

In addition to those you highlighted - Joel Campbell (especially in the Group games) and Demichelis both had very good World Cups, and not sure Krul playing 30 seconds of extra time and a penalty shootout would constitute a good world cup!

Will keep tabs on the scores just out of interest, but won't go out of my way to do so.

The Championship is clearly going to be the season to watch for competitiveness, but wherever Hearts are, that's my concern!

But the answer to the OP's question is, No.

Must admit to like watching EPL games on the box.SPL and Champions league I have no real interest, unless City are playing.The final of the champions league on a Saturday is a good move though.

If we get another high stakes final day shoot out like Hibs vs Killie and the hosts allow it to be shown then I'm watching it.

My interest will decline a little but I still follow scottish football through all the divisions so I'll still watch some.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

The Scottish Premiership really isn't that bad a standard for the size of our country and the amount of money that goes into it. The crowds are impressive compared to almost any nation our size as well.

Maybe if people shook off the usual Scottish mentality of disparaging and pouring cold water over everything and just took an interest they'd realise this.

As I'm studying in Dundee I will probably head to the Dundee Derby but will I watch any games on tv?

Not a chance, if the JT's aren't involved.

rossthejambo

Rubbish.

jamtartan74

Aye al watch some games tend to just watch whatever game is on whatever league if it's Scottish English foreign whatever but of course it's the championship in Scotland that will be the most watched league in our country goes without saying really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gashauskis9

No and I reckon I speak for a lot of neutrals too. Championship is where it's all happening in 14/15.

The Scottish Premiership really isn't that bad a standard for the size of our country and the amount of money that goes into it. The crowds are impressive compared to almost any nation our size as well.

Maybe if people shook off the usual Scottish mentality of disparaging and pouring cold water over everything and just took an interest they'd realise this.

A country full of Doncaster's.

Haven't watched a non Hearts game in years. Not going to start now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PsychocAndy

A country full of Doncaster's.

Are they not a high media club now because that fella bought them?

If there is a game on and I have nothing else to do, then I'll watch it. I like watching Scots making their way in the game. It can give me hope for my holiday in France 2016, if we qualify.

Prince Buaben

Are they not a high media club now because that fella bought them?

Yeah they are going in one direction..

JamboRossi79

So let me get this right, we complain about the amount of money that the TV companies pay us and then turn round and say we are not watching it anyway. Can't have it both ways I am afraid.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Nope, unless Aberdeen and the Arabs are playing each other or Celtic.

Interesting that BBC are showing the Celtic game tonight, but aren't showing the Aberdeen or the Motherwell game on Thursday. Says it all about Scottish football that no-one gives a shit about clubs out with the old firm.

Fozzyonthefence

Don't think I watched any SPL games on tv not involving Hearts last season, can't see this season being any different

skinnybob72

Cannae wait to tune in to a Partick vs St Johnstone or Killie vs Ross Co game with a crowd of 2000. I'm almost moist at the prospect.

So let me get this right, we complain about the amount of money that the TV companies pay us and then turn round and say we are not watching it anyway. Can't have it both ways I am afraid.

that's a very fair point

I'll give it about the same attention as I do to any other league without Heart of Midlothian.

I'll make the odd exception if there is an unfancied team making a title challenge; like Newcastle in 96 and Atletico last season. Can't see that happening in our top flight though. :lol:

I barely watched a non Hearts game last season it'll probably be the same this season.

I'll maybe catch the occasional EPL game in the pub, if it was a non-OF Scottish game on, I might watch.

Yeah, this.

ArcticJambo

Nope. When I'm not watching Hearts I'll be tuning into the other European league games; mostly English and Spanish, cherry picking games from Serie A and the Bundesliga.

I enjoyed SPL games back in the day but frankly, from what I've seen, I've not been missing much lately. sad.

Performance

Hardly watched any of the other games not involving Hearts last year in the SPFL. Can't say I'll be rushing to watch any this season either.

Will only watch MOTD. Full live games, whether Scottish or English, are usually dull. Not interested in Sportscene if the JTs are not involved.

Yes. Because I'm Scottish and I like football.

And I don't want the world's game becoming just that. I don't want franchise football, because that's where we are heading.

Scottish guys supporting only English teams. It's not uncommon and it's only getting worse.

Support the game in this country and, ken what, it might actually get better.

Do The Dance

Can't think of much else worse than watching all of Celtic's fixtures. Well, maybe all of Rangers' fixtures.

Jambo 4 Ever

Will probably keep an eye on how Craig Gordon gets on with Celtic, and hope that Hartley keeps Dundee up.

And would be good if someone else can challenge celtic too

jamboinglasgow

And I don't want the world's game becoming just that. I don't want franchise football, because that's where we are heading.

Scottish guys supporting only English teams. It's not uncommon and it's only getting worse.

Its mad, this thread shows the problem with Scottish football. We like to knock our own game and drag it through the mud and then we are amazed that we dont get more interest or money from sponsors and tv revenue. I will watch SPFL Premiership games next seasons, because they can be good fun. Yes they are not the greatest skill on show but they can be exciting. TV football have made us believe that a good game must have the biggest teams, but it ignores how two teams really competiting with each other can be exciting and make a great spectacle. Last season was probably one of the best seasons in Scottish top flight football in years, yes Celtic ran away with it but teams were giving each other games, we had exciting games, and even some talent and skillful football (Dundee United on form were a great spectacle, Motherwell could great fantastic games.)

It drives me mad when I hear English pundits/journalists (some who like to see them as hipster football fans so will follow leagues around the world) treat Scottish football as if it is something they have just trod in. Its so insulting to the Scotland and while it is shocking that always Rangers and Celtic win the league, there is so much more to the league than that. I want Scottish football be treated with some respect and dignity, we need to start that from within.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The problem with the thread in general is that there is too much football on TV, full stop. It is no surprise, therefore, that people will pick and choose what games to watch. I stopped watching Champions League a couple of years ago and watched very few English games outwith Man Utd as well as almost no Scottish games outside of Hearts. Just let me know the scores from the rest.

Watch an SPL match ????????????.................... I wouldn't have watched Scottish league football in any capacity if Hearts had folded.

Jambo_Jarman

Is anyone who's just gone 'nah' actually going to respond to some of the counter points made?

Do you know what annoys me? People pretending that Scottish football was SO much better back in the day. Bollocks. It's had two periods in over 100 years where teams challenged the Old Firm for the title on a regular basis, and both those occasions lasted for around 15 years.

The difference, as has been pointed out, is that there is now much more choice for football viewing. That's fair enough, but don't shit on our product just because it doesn't stand up to Spain, Italy or England? How could it? We're a nation of five million people. We're supposedly a proud nation but I don't see much example of that when it comes to our football, despite the fact that we have the largest percentage of the population attending football matches of any country in Europe.

Phil D. Corners

This.

Bridge of Djoum

From countries reaching at least the 1/4 finals there were 37 EPL players by my count, with 6 in the Final. Not too bad considering!

Ozil, Mertesacker, Podolski, Schurrle, Joel Campbell, Vlaar, Van Persie, Krul, Worm, De Guzman, Hazard, Courtois*, Lukaku, Mirallas, Fellaini, Januzaj, Chadli, Dembele, Vertonghen, Paulinho, Luiz**, Oscar, Ramires, Willian, Fernadinho, Sahko, Evra**, Lloris, Debauchy, Sissoko, Remy, Koscielny, Giroud, Schneiderlin, Aguerro, Zabaleta, Demichelis!

*will be next season and owned by Chelsea

** know they are moving away from the EPL for next season

Oi Statto!!!

Good work though.

Jambo, Goodbye

Is anyone who's just gone 'nah' actually going to respond to some of the counter points made?

Do you know what annoys me? People pretending that Scottish football was SO much better back in the day. Bollocks. It's had two periods in over 100 years where teams challenged the Old Firm for the title on a regular basis, and both those occasions lasted for around 15 years.

The difference, as has been pointed out, is that there is now much more choice for football viewing. That's fair enough, but don't shit on our product just because it doesn't stand up to Spain, Italy or England? How could it? We're a nation of five million people. We're supposedly a proud nation but I don't see much example of that when it comes to our football, despite the fact that we have the largest percentage of the population attending football matches of any country in Europe.

Scottish football is dreadful, I make no comparisons in making that point.

And 5 million is more than enough!

Nope, unless Aberdeen and the Arabs are playing each other or Celtic.

Interesting that BBC are showing the Celtic game tonight, but aren't showing the Aberdeen or the Motherwell game on Thursday. Says it all about Scottish football that no-one gives a shit about clubs out with the old firm.

TV companies only care about the Old Firm because they have the largest percentage of the population attending football matches of any country in Europe.

Archived