Kevin Kyle (merged threads)

arfurdaley

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything - this story makes me love the big guy even more. Doing what needs to done without complaining, taking a job that most other footballers would turn their noses at and grafting away to provide for his family. Folk like Derek Riordan could do with taking note of this kinda thing.

?400 a week I believe they get paid.

Could well be, I don't know if Sodexho would provide the offshore rate up here although I would be surprised if he wasn't getting that.

It actually makes me a bit sad to think that a cult hero of mine is washing my dirty kegs.

Strange piece. Kev talks as if it is unwanted attention, but I am betting the Record did not get those quotes or photos undercover. He has always played the media well and is farily friendly with a number of journos. Fair play to him for earning a crust, but this strikes me as an orchestrated piece to get him a gig coaching or somewhere back in the game...

How on earth it made a front page of a national paper is beyond me though. God help us if there's a Yes vote if this is the level of Scottish "news" and debate!

Really? What has the yes vote got to do with this article? Of course you're right though the standard of British print press is so much higher.

So a paper has headlines of an ex-football player who must have earned in excess of ?1m over a 15 or so year period has gambled it all away is a rag for trying to show people the pitfalls of this addiction, some people have not got a clue.

I like him even more now... a grafter, will do what he has to put food on the table... Well done Kev!

Do the offshore training and join Seve and we're on our way to a North Sea Oil Hearts fitba team (dunno where they'd play though, and may cost a fortune in lost balls!)

So a paper has headlines of an ex-football player who must have earned in excess of ?1m over a 15 or so year period has gambled it all away is a rag for trying to show people the pitfalls of this addiction, some people have not got a clue.

I'm sure that was their intention

I'm sure that was their intention

If not was it then, can't be the usual guff about having a go at Hearts?

Really? What has the yes vote got to do with this article? Of course you're right though the standard of British print press is so much higher.

I'd be more concerned that he thinks that photos that were clearly taken surreptitiously and an 'interview' that can only be described as polite but terse should think that KK in some way orchestrated this for the couple of hundred quid you would expect the record to give someone in this position.

You're right, some people don't have a clue. This is clearly part of the record's larger campaign to educate people about the pitfalls of gambling and can sit alongside their other examples of this where they....well, they.....ummm...oh, wait they didnt.

You're right, some people don't have a clue. This is clearly part of the record's larger campaign to educate people about the pitfalls of gambling and can sit alongside their other examples of this where they....well, they.....ummm...oh, wait they didnt.

If it helps show how not to do it and saves some from the addiction of gambling then whats the problem, FFS even when the press try and do something to help the JKB Taliban pant wetter's go into defcon 4.

If it helps show how not to do it and saves some from the addiction of gambling then whats the problem, FFS even when the press try and do something to help the JKB Taliban pant wetter's go into defcon 4.

The problem is that's not their intent and you said it was. That thing you said? Not true.

But your other point is very good. All of the daily record readers who are earning 15k a week aged 18 will take something away from this. KK has done, and probably continues to do, lots of work to help people not get to the point he did. If the record gave two shits about helping people with a gambling addiction they'd have asked him for an interview and he'd have said yes, as he has done many times in the past. As it is they snuck some pictures of him at work and got two lines and turned him into a pitiable loser.

The press are not trying to do something to help anyone, other than themselves. And you throwing around contradictory and meaningless buzzphrases like pant wetter taliban don't help either.

Good for him. Not scared of a bit of hard graft to pay the bills. Sad he had a gambling problem but good to see he's not got a dose of the "poor me" and doing what he can to earn a crust.

Great work ethic and seems to be a deeply nice bloke.

Good luck to him

The problem is that's not their intent and you said it was. That thing you said? Not true.

But your other point is very good. All of the daily record readers who are earning 15k a week aged 18 will take something away from this. KK has done, and probably continues to do, lots of work to help people not get to the point he did. If the record gave two shits about helping people with a gambling addiction they'd have asked him for an interview and he'd have said yes, as he has done many times in the past. As it is they snuck some pictures of him at work and got two lines and turned him into a pitiable loser.

The press are not trying to do something to help anyone, other than themselves. And you throwing around contradictory and meaningless buzzphrases like pant wetter taliban don't help either.

Pretty poor even by your standards, if it can stop an every day bloke think twice about gambling his wages away by seeing what it can do to a pro footballer who has earned more in one year than they might in 20 years then I'm all for it, that's the way I read it "footballer earning tousands having to work hard to keep food on the table after gambling addiction" good on him all the same he even admits it himself that he was doing the rounds trying to warn young footballers of gambling, this also may help your ordinary person but as I say it's the usual JKB Taliban putting a "they all hate us" spin on it.

Private Womble

Pretty poor even by your standards, if it can stop an every day bloke think twice about gambling his wages away by seeing what it can do to a pro footballer who has earned more in one year than they might in 20 years then I'm all for it, that's the way I read it "footballer earning tousands having to work hard to keep food on the table after gambling addiction" good on him all the same he even admits it himself that he was doing the rounds trying to warn young footballers of gambling, this also may help your ordinary person but as I say it's the usual JKB Taliban putting a "they all hate us" spin on it.

Not one single poster said anything about the media hating us, it was more the "non news" angle. Have a :facepalm:

I'd say this is poor even by your standard, but we all know your standard.

Not one single poster said anything about the media hating us, it was more the "non news" angle. Have a :facepalm:

Yup. :facepalm: indeed.

Strange piece. Kev talks as if it is unwanted attention, but I am betting the Record did not get those quotes or photos undercover. He has always played the media well and is farily friendly with a number of journos. Fair play to him for earning a crust, but this strikes me as an orchestrated piece to get him a gig coaching or somewhere back in the game...

How on earth it made a front page of a national paper is beyond me though. God help us if there's a Yes vote if this is the level of Scottish "news" and debate!

Jamboscanbevicius - this has nothing to do with the Yes vote and everything to do with the Daily Record.

The Yes vote is for something trying to be better and not what you fear (petty irrelevant parochial tittle tattle). What you fear is happening now. And that's not because of a Yes vote.

It is the Daily Record that decides to choose a parochial level of story to report and funnily they want you to vote No.

If you want this 'high' level of news reporting to continue and debate I suggest you vote No. If you don't I suggest you look at the alternative.

Anyway - back on topic. Fair play to KK for doing what he needs without the fuss. He was a great player for us. The Crachen!

Meh. Found it quite interesting to read about and otherwise would not have known about it so for me it's a worthy story. I think i'll hold off wetting my pants about it.

Always liked Big Kev when he played for us and he always gave 100% for the jersey. Hope he can find his way bqck into football if that is what he wants.

Weird points from you. Nobody has said anything about Hearts in this thread just about Kevin Kyle and the daily ranger doing a hatchet job on the guy. Your attempt to portray this as the DR campaigning on the hazards of gambling are, quite frankly, hilarious.

Came across as more of a 'point and laugh' job rather than a 'look what can happen if you gamble' piece. No real insight into how gambling becomes a problem, how it effects the individual, their careers or their families. No information on the support that is available if you are in this predicament. All We get is 'he earned sh*t loads at one point, jizzed it up the wall, has done some stuff to help others, but look at him now....cleaning toilets and washing other people's clothes. hardly looks set up to show the pitfalls of gambling to me!

If that's what you want to take out of it, fine, good on you. That's not how it comes across, because of the way the article is cobbled together, to most though.

Don't know why I'm replying to you anyway but here goes

Utter ******* bullshit

It's not about him gambling it all away, he stopped gambling when he was at Coventry, since then he has probably earned a decent wedge albeit not enough to retire on so he takes a job to keep bringing some money in with the hope to get some progression to better money

To try and wrap it up as something else just makes an utter ***** of you, if it was to show the pitfalls of gambling then as any article of its type should do it would conclude with assorted contact details for gamblers anonymous and such like - this article does not

Also, before you roll out your pant wetter pish most people are questioning how this merits column inches, let along a front page story, not that this is an anti-Hearts story

Don't know why I'm replying to you anyway but here goes

Utter ******* bullshit

It's not about him gambling it all away, he stopped gambling when he was at Coventry, since then he has probably earned a decent wedge albeit not enough to retire on so he takes a job to keep bringing some money in with the hope to get some progression to better money

To try and wrap it up as something else just makes an utter ***** of you, if it was to show the pitfalls of gambling then as any article of its type should do it would conclude with assorted contact details for gamblers anonymous and such like - this article does not

Also, before you roll out your pant wetter pish most people are questioning how this merits column inches, let along a front page story, not that this is an anti-Hearts story

:bravo:

If anything - this story makes me love the big guy even more. Doing what needs to done without complaining, taking a job that most other footballers would turn their noses at and grafting away to provide for his family. Folk like Derek Riordan could do with taking note of this kinda thing.

Exactly. He always struck me as a really decent guy and his leadership of youngsters on the pitch was impressive - on his debut, I could hear him shouting encouragement from the other end if the pitch! Clearly had a gambling problem, had a terrible time with injuries but is getting on with it and doing what he needs to provide for his family. I've got lots of respect for the guy.

Tommy Wiseau

Every day is a crusade to stand up for the gutter press and the SFA for Rudi :lol:

This is a poor story. People trying to make a living for their families after their sporting career ends is not something to turn into a grotesque show. Fair play to the guy. It's a shame he's got so little left to show from his career, because he was a decent player in his day.

colinmaroon

In what shape or form, is that worthy of column inches in any newspaper ?

What a disgraceful piece of journalism skubala.

Absolute gem on Radio Scotland sport on the radio on the way home in the car!

Such a shock I nearly left the road!

It was the only football piece and obviously absolutely crucial with massive impact on Scottish Football.

Quote:

John Collins, "We would rather play St Pats rather than Legia Warsaw, because they're wee-er and nearer!"

Hold onto your seat!

Just seen this on the net.

"Guy who sold the story has been sacked "

"Ex workmate of mine posted on FB 2weeks ago saying he was working on the boat & then posted other day that

the rat who took pics etc has been sacked."

Just seen this on the net.

"Guy who sold the story has been sacked "

"Ex workmate of mine posted on FB 2weeks ago saying he was working on the boat & then posted other day that

the rat who took pics etc has been sacked."

:yas:

Seems the appropriate response.

I seen big kk walking about lerwick last night. Like always when I see a hearts or ex hearts player I wanted to go speak to him. But I didn't want to bother him.

I seen big kk walking about lerwick last night. Like always when I see a hearts or ex hearts player I wanted to go speak to him. But I didn't want to bother him.

if I saw Robbie Sloan I think the urge to speak to him would be minimal.

if I saw Robbie Sloan I think the urge to speak to him would be minimal.

But the urge would be there

Archived