Osman Sow on trial (merged threads)

Never Let Them Forget

TyphoonJambo

That's a team well capable of getting us straight back up and, if we continue in the style we have started, we will do it playing attractive football, dare I say... ALA Hubz!!!!

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gregory House M.D.

There is no way Holt should be left out of the team. He's probably our most talented youngster

Does that really matter? Fielding the best team possible is what matters. If Holt proves he's better than Buaben or El Hassnaoui I'm sure he'll be in the team.

Also, Holt is not our most talented player. This myth is pretty weird actually. For one, Callum Paterson has consistently done more than him for 2 years now and is 2 years younger than him. Nicholson also looks like he could do better. Walker and Holt have a lot to prove.

I'm not complaining and understand the importance of getting out this league. Last season was tough but I enjoyed identifying with the young players who had come through the setup. They have to be good enough though and we did need to add experience with the likes of Gomis. Just hope some of the other signings don't halt the progress of guys like Billy King who had a good end to the season but likely won't get near the first team now? Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still cannot see the point.

I paired off the new boys with those who had left (and I omitted Stevenson) so the young lads will get no more, or no less, of a chance than previously.

We released Hamill and Tapping from MF and now (maybe) have Gomis and Buaben.

We let McGowan go and now have Ozturk while one could say El Hassnaoui has replaced McCallum. On that basis we only have one extra which is countered by the fact that we lost 2 keepers and have only signed one up to now.

Stevo gone as well covers that extra man

We should not be playing anymore than 3 youth players in any game.

sorry, but that's rubbish

sorry, but that's rubbish

It is good for us if we want to win games, it is good for the youths if they want to learn.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Why is El Hassanaoui an automatic starter for some despite never having played? It's up to him to prove he's better than Holt at the moment.

Gregory House M.D.

Why is El Hassanaoui an automatic starter for some despite never having played? It's up to him to prove he's better than Holt at the moment.

He's in there because 4231 suits our players IMO and Holt isn't a goalscoring attacking midfielder.

Play a 433 and Holt is in the team.

Jason Dufner

I agree he needs to prove himself but not that he's better than Holt. Holt was disappointing playing the number 10 role (where I'm assuming El Hassanaoui will play) and only started playing well when he was in centre midfield. He is competing with Gomis and Bauben for a start in my opinion.

I agree he needs to prove himself but not that he's better than Holt. Holt was disappointing playing the number 10 role (where I'm assuming El Hassanaoui will play) and only started playing well when he was in centre midfield. He is competing with Gomis and Bauben for a start in my opinion.

I agree, his good performances towards the end of the season was when he was playing deeper

Gregory House M.D.

My thinking as stated above your post.

Holt would be in my team every time if we play this:

Alexander

Paterson ?zt?rk Wilson McHattie

Buaben Gomis Holt

Walker/King Sow Nicholson

All the squabling about whats our best team is absolute bollocks. Our best team will change on an almost weekly basis with players falling foul to injuries, suspensions and loss of form. Therefore whats happening just now is a group of around 18-20 established players along with another 5 or so very young boys like Beith, Oliver and McGhee will be used throughout the season.

THE SQUAD will ultimately end up being our best TEAM

Our new players have been brought in to improve the squad because our manager thinks they are better than the players we have got so they will start.

All the squabling about whats our best team is absolute bollocks. Our best team will change on an almost weekly basis with players falling foul to injuries, suspensions and loss of form. Therefore whats happening just now is a group of around 18-20 established players along with another 5 or so very young boys like Beith, Oliver and McGhee will be used throughout the season.

THE SQUAD will ultimately end up being our best TEAM

Our new players have been brought in to improve the squad because our manager thinks they are better than the players we have got so they will start.

Not neccessary. They could be brought in to add to the squad and not shoemarked into the first team straight away.

Gregory House M.D.

Not neccessary. They could be brought in to add to the squad and not shoemarked into the first team straight away.

You don't bring players in to strengthen a squad as small and inexperienced as ours was. The players signed were signed to start. No ifs nor buts about it. If we find better players than them they'll also be squad players but they aren't brought in to be that. We simply can't afford that type of signing.

You don't bring players in to strengthen a squad as small and inexperienced as ours was. The players signed were signed to start. No ifs nor buts about it. If we find better players than them they'll also be squad players but they aren't brought in to be that. We simply can't afford that type of signing.

I don't agree. To challange for a league you need a squad capable of doing so with various different options like the likes of Sow. None of us have any idea how good the new guy is and id be surprised if Neilson had seen him play before signing him and it's him that's calling the shots regarding team selection so he will make that judgement on how he peforms in comparison to the rest of the squad but right now the player looks to have been singed on recommendation of big MDV and we will have to wait and see how it works out.

rudi must stay

I think all the players we have signed are automatic starters, they have experience and can help our younger players through a game. Where that leaves Holt i'm not sure, I can see him leaving

The_razors_edge

I think all the players we have signed are automatic starters, they have experience and can help our younger players through a game. Where that leaves Holt i'm not sure, I can see him leaving

Maybe he'll just have to knuckle down, work harder at his game and prove to the management he should be an automatic pick

rudi must stay

Maybe he'll just have to knuckle down, work harder at his game and prove to the management he should be an automatic pick

Our best youngster IMO. I can't think of anything he needs to do to improve his game. But if he's happy to be a sub, then that's great news for you. Neilson is possibly too canny a tactician not to have a place for him in the starting 11 though

portobellojambo1

I disagree with that, I think what we are building is a squad, with competition for places and those who are performing best will be selected. I do think most of that competition will come in midfield and up front, and it can only be good for the youngsters to have that sort of competition.

I can't think of anything he needs to do to improve his game.

Oh come on, if he shares that attitude he won't get anywhere

Marooned In Oz

He's in there because 4231 suits our players IMO and Holt isn't a goalscoring attacking midfielder.

Play a 433 and Holt is in the team.

eh...

2008?2013 De Graafschap 85 (19) 2013?2014 Sparta Rotterdam 23 (3)

(With a lot of those being played as a striker....)

20% Score ratio

VS

011? Heart of Midlothian 47 (5) 2011?2012 ? Raith Rovers (loan) 5 (1

11% goal scoring ratio.

Really not a massive difference to be perfectly honest. In fact, Holt's goal scoring ratio was better than El Hassanoui's last season, so it pretty much blows your theory out of the water.

With better coaching than last year I think we will see Holt really come into his own here. Let's remember our young lads without the point penalty would have finished 9th on merit. That's a pretty fine achievement considering a lot of them were played out of position for the majority of the season.

rudi must stay

Oh come on, if he shares that attitude he won't get anywhere

Having seen him interviewed, he seems like a quiet, hard working person. So I doubt he has that attitude, thats why I defended him there. He certainly isnt a big shot as the other poster said

The_razors_edge

Having seen him interviewed, he seems like a quiet, hard working person. So I doubt he has that attitude, thats why I defended him there. He certainly isnt a big shot as the other poster said

Sorry you'll have to talk me through where I said holt was a 'big shot'. Fwiw I like holt but IMHO he is not a certain starter and I certainly don't think he's anywhere close to being the finished article AT THE MOMENT.

rudi must stay

Sorry you'll have to talk me through where I said holt was a 'big shot'. Fwiw I like holt but IMHO he is not a certain starter and I certainly don't think he's anywhere close to being the finished article AT THE MOMENT.

I think he's doing exactly what you said, 'knuckling down', Neilson has his favourites. You can see that in his pre season teams, every manager does and there's nothing wrong with that. He's a quality player already, technically and tactically hes brilliant. Perhaps Neilson is planning for things without him, Nottingham Forest where after him, so teams are well aware of him

eh...

2008?2013 De Graafschap 85 (19) 2013?2014 Sparta Rotterdam 23 (3)

(With a lot of those being played as a striker....)

20% Score ratio

VS

011? Heart of Midlothian 47 (5) 2011?2012 ? Raith Rovers (loan) 5 (1

11% goal scoring ratio.

Really not a massive difference to be perfectly honest. In fact, Holt's goal scoring ratio was better than El Hassanoui's last season, so it pretty much blows your theory out of the water.

With better coaching than last year I think we will see Holt really come into his own here. Let's remember our young lads without the point penalty would have finished 9th on merit. That's a pretty fine achievement considering a lot of them were played out of position for the majority of the season.

I thought we would have finished 11th on merit?

el-Hassanoui is going to be the scapegoat this year, imo.

"Waste of money, never fit. Disgrace we signed this loser instead of Rudi."

Something like that?

What makes you say that? The expectation on him to produce already based on very little?

Marooned In Oz

I thought we would have finished 11th on merit?

I'm talking shite! Equal tenth on merit and 2 points off 7th. :)

Snake Plissken

"Waste of money, never fit. Disgrace we signed this loser instead of Rudi."

Something like that?

I fear that'll be posted, verbatim, after a frustrating draw away from home at some point next season.

Marooned In Oz

Really hope he's a success! I just think we should give our own who have shown they have great talent a run in the team first. New signings should prove their worth in the team before they are automatically shoehorned in.

scott_jambo

What makes you say that? The expectation on him to produce already based on very little?

His face fits. So to speak.

Generally and literally.

There are double standards.

Youths can make mistakes but the foreign Hearts players have to be better or they are holding the youths back. Their mistakes are remembered but the youths easily forgiven.

rudi must stay

Generally and literally.

I think its way too soon for mystical predictions, we have very fair home fans too..

Rudolf's Mate

El-Hassanoui plays instead of Holt then I have full faith in the manager that he's in for a reason. If he doesn't cut it then I'm equally sure he'll be benched for someone else.

Sepp's Bladder

Our best youngster IMO. I can't think of anything he needs to do to improve his game. But if he's happy to be a sub, then that's great news for you. Neilson is possibly too canny a tactician not to have a place for him in the starting 11 though

Even messi and ronaldo have aspects they could improve! Holt could improve every single aspect of his game. crazy comment.

Right, cool your jets folks. Bunter puts an XI up and folk lose their mess! :laugh:

We have no guarantees on how the first choice team will play next season, however we can guess a few...

Alexander will be our first choice goalkeeper.

Paterson, Ozturk, Wilson, McHattie will be our back line.

Gomis will anchor midfield.

Nicholson will play.

That leaves four places up for grabs. I'd bet that Walker, King, Smith ALL have a chance to start against Rangers on the wing. Robinson, Holt and likely Buaben will vie for midfield. Although, didn't Robinson accumulate a suspension from last season? Up front El-Hassnaoui, Carrick, Keatings, Oliver and maybe Sow all have a chance.

Having said all of that, don't be surprised if Neilson goes for three at the back as it's de rigueur.

Ken what? I'll wager ROBBIE hasn't decided yet. Not sure how we can pick a team just now.

rudi must stay

Even messi and ronaldo have aspects they could improve! Holt could improve every single aspect of his game. crazy comment.

You play to your strengths, thats what the great players do. But I think he has an excellent all round game

Hungry hippo

Right, cool your jets folks. Bunter puts an XI up and folk lose their mess! :laugh:

We have no guarantees on how the first choice team will play next season, however we can guess a few...

Alexander will be our first choice goalkeeper.

Paterson, Ozturk, Wilson, McHattie will be our back line.

Gomis will anchor midfield.

Nicholson will play.

That leaves four places up for grabs. I'd bet that Walker, King, Smith ALL have a chance to start against Rangers on the wing. Robinson, Holt and likely Buaben will vie for midfield. Although, didn't Robinson accumulate a suspension from last season? Up front El-Hassnaoui, Carrick, Keatings, Oliver and maybe Sow all have a chance.

Having said all of that, don't be surprised if Neilson goes for three at the back as it's de rigueur.

Ken what? I'll wager ROBBIE hasn't decided yet. Not sure how we can pick a team just now.

Walker is suspended in addition to Robinson for the Rangers game.

Snake Plissken

I think it's great that no-one really knows what our best eleven is right now.

The defence picks itself but apart from Gomis, I really don't know who'd be considered a certain pick in midfield or up front right now.

I think it's great that no-one really knows what our best eleven is right now.

The defence picks itself but apart from Gomis, I really don't know who'd be considered a certain pick in midfield or up front right now.

Being an unknown quantity is very often a huge boost. Promoted teams regularly start the season well - this is due to a number of factors, not least the confidence from being promoted and the fact they've yet to have a patch where the only pick up a couple of points from half a dozen games. But also important is the fact that they've not been adequately scouted and opposition teams havent sussed them out completely. Everyone in the premier knows how motherwell play, but hamilton will be a different prospect. Even we had a good start last season and it was in part due to this.

merseyjambo

Gotta laugh at Hubs

Sow is either

1) not good enough for Una so not good enough for them

Or

2) doesn't play Una's type of football. He's a big target man and not for playing it on the deck to.

Hate to say that 2 games against Vale of Leithen and Berwick don't tell you what type of manager he's gonna be. Most blues are glad to be rid of him because he's more Moyes than Martinez and doesn't fit in at Goodison any more

Can't wait for his lets not lose, industrial type of football the Green Brazil are going to get this season

Marooned In Oz

Bunter is totally clueless anyway. Kept insisting Tapping was our strongest midfielder with absoutely 0 evidence to back this up (can't think of one occasion in which the guy had a decent game) and plays down the talents of Jason Holt. :2thumbsup:

You couldn't make it up.

Gregory House M.D.

Generally and literally.

:facepalm:

Gregory House M.D.

Bunter is totally clueless anyway. Kept insisting Tapping was our strongest midfielder with absoutely 0 evidence to back this up (can't think of one occasion in which the guy had a decent game) and plays down the talents of Jason Holt. :2thumbsup:

You couldn't make it up.

1. Never said he was our strongest midfielder.

2. Said he was the best of the three whenever I saw them play together at u20's and Full team. Because he was. Broke into the team with 3 MotM performances and a MotM performance for Scotland u21's inbetween, played generally well then our clueless management dropped him and he never regained confidence.

3. Not "playing down the talents of Jason Holt". Saying he has lots to prove. His only consistently good spell in Hearts' first team was the end of last season. Not his fault as he was played in a position he can't play and I always said he can't play beforehand.

Unlike some on here when it come's to Jason Holt I'm willing to give my actual opinion rather than big him up to be the next Barry Ferguson and all sorts based on a few flashes.

He's 21 and had a couple of months consistency at the top level. He still has it all to prove, like it or not.

Saying nothing about his talent. It's whether he can actually apply it.

Archived