Hampden

Guest gorgie kev

Guest gorgie kev

After seeing Wembley Stadium on the TV,and several visits to our National Stadium.Hampden is an embarrassment as a National stadium.

I find getting to Hampden the worst part, queues, parking, where they put the buses etc. Always dread the journey there.

ToadKiller Dog

I was down at wembley last saturday for the fleet v torquay game ,wembley is on another planet ,it was only half full but a better atmosphere ,i was in the top tier but had a better view that the main stand seat i had at hampden for the cup final.

Its a proper built national stadium with hotels on its door step and plenty of access space for fans direct from the train stations.

Rawrrrrrrr

Hampdens that bad it regularly gets top european events and gigs!!!

The fact is they spent hundreds of millions on wembley and its only just opened, of course its going to be better

Tbh I dont mind hampden at all and think some people just like a moan at the SFA

Many countrys would be estatic to boast the stadiums our country do, especially smaller similar sized ones

The Old Tolbooth

Hampdens a toilet, you don't even get a decent view from anywhere in that barn, and the actual toilets are disgusting!

England gets millions upon millions of pounds to build a national stadium, Scotland get a few coppers worth of help to regenerate an old existing toilet into a newer shiner toilet, but at the end of the day, it's still a toilet!

Guest gorgie kev

The fact is they spent hundreds of millions on wembley and its only just opened, of course its going to be better

Tbh I dont mind hampden at all and think some people just like a moan at the SFA

Many countrys would be estatic to boast the stadiums our country do, especially smaller similar sized ones

3/4 of Hampden is just seats stuck on terracing.Call it a cheap patch up job.

jambojim52
Our National Stadium should be in Edinburgh!

No, it should be in Stirling or Perth. Certainly in a more central location.Why fans of every other club, have the misfortune to have to travel to hamdump is a disgrace to the game.

jambojim52

The seating is a disgrace. 10 rows back and still only level with the crossbar.That is diabolical .

Romanov Stole My Pension
I find getting to Hampden the worst part, queues, parking, where they put the buses etc. Always dread the journey there.

I was down at Wembley for Grimsby v MK Dons (Grimsby end) and it took an eternity to get out of Wembley. Atleast a couple of hours before we were moving properly

ToadKiller Dog

But the main function of the two stadiums is as a sports stadium not for music gigs which there is the wembley area.

Wembley will get a major euro final ,it will host olympic events it will likely at some point hold a world cup final.

Hampden is a sub standard stadium as a spectator ,its approaches and access to the stadium are sub standard ,Hampden was refurbished about the same time as cardiff arms park was rebuilt ,cardiffs millennium stadium is a class above hampden.

Ray Winstone

Murrayfield Stadium is far more impressive than Hampden and the atmosphere when full is amazing.

Hampden is far too shallow meaning you get an extremely poor view in many places.

Goose Baxter

Did i not hear that the bt stand just cost a little bit less than the millenium stadium in Cardiff to build?

Sure i heard it some place but i could be talking kak

Dirk Diggler
Murrayfield Stadium is far more impressive than Hampden and the atmosphere when full is amazing.

Hampden is far too shallow meaning you get an extremely poor view in many places.

I disagree about the atmosphere at Murrayfield.

It's pretty rank imo.

In fact, 17000 at Tynecastle creates more noise than 68000 at Murrayfield.

Ray Winstone

It's pretty rank imo.

What competitive matches have you been to see at Murrayfield when it has been full? (not just football)

I can assure you that when FULL (which it has never been for a competitive match for Hearts) it is great.

Of course to sample it in that manner you have to watch the rugger - however I imagine with the Tartan Army packed in there for the World cup qualifiers the atmosphere would be electric.

Gigolo-Aunt

It's pretty rank imo.

Agreed.

Hampden may not be state of the art, but I dont mind it as a stadium. A lot of memories of Hampden, some good and some bad - but I would prefer going through there for cup games rather than using one of the Old Firms.

Dirk Diggler
What competitive matches have you been to see at Murrayfield when it has been full? (not just football)

I can assure you that when FULL (which it has never been for a competitive match for Hearts) it is great.

Of course to sample it in that manner you have to watch the rugger - however I imagine with the Tartan Army packed in there for the World cup qualifiers the atmosphere would be electric.

Seen around 8 Scotland Rugby Internationals.

I can assure you the atmosphere isn't amazing or electric.

Ray Winstone
Seen around 8 Scotland Rugby Internationals.

I can assure you the atmosphere isn't amazing or electric.

Obviously not picked the right ones then.

I go to a more than that every year and can assure you that if the fans are in the mood then the atmosphere is fantastic - ever been there at a Callcuta cup victory? Amazing.

Its the same with Tynecastle - when the team are playing - atmosphere amazing.

When the team are rank - atmosphere rank.

You can also get 10,000+ extra fans into Murrayfield, for the bigger occasions.

Better stadium than Hampden in all aspects IMHO.

Ibrahim Tall

Hampden was still a toilet it when it first re-opened.

Wales, a country about half our size, spent a similar about of money and got a far bigger and far more impressive stadium than that dump.

ToadKiller Dog
Oh and a Robbie Williams gig.

:peepwall:

I would imagine that murrayfield had better positions than hampden for getting a clear shot at robbie williams ;)

arfurdaley
Hampdens a toilet, you don't even get a decent view from anywhere in that barn, and the actual toilets are disgusting!

England gets millions upon millions of pounds to build a national stadium, Scotland get a few coppers worth of help to regenerate an old existing toilet into a newer shiner toilet, but at the end of the day, it's still a toilet!

Good post.

Possibly the most important factor when designing a football stadium.

Remember being behind the goals for the semi v Celtic when Chesney scored and I couldn't see what was happening up the other end.

coppercrutch
But the main function of the two stadiums is as a sports stadium not for music gigs which there is the wembley area.

Wembley will get a major euro final ,it will host olympic events it will likely at some point hold a world cup final.

Hampden is a sub standard stadium as a spectator ,its approaches and access to the stadium are sub standard ,Hampden was refurbished about the same time as cardiff arms park was rebuilt ,cardiffs millennium stadium is a class above hampden.

And it cost less.

And it has a roof.

And it has cracking views from every seat.

And it sells beer.

Chester™

the bit in bold I agree with. I hate Hampden and I truly think thats its a complete waste of cash and an embarrassment as a national stadium if you compare it to others about.

The bit in italic I will take issue with though. I assume that the point of that is saying that Hampden wont host such occasions? It has already hosted both major European finals and within five years of each other. There wont be an Olympics in Scotland (well I highly doubt it) but it will be hosting events for the Commonwealth Games in 2014 and I cant see Scotland having a World Cup either can you?

I would certainly like to know how much Hampden cost, during two renovations, compared to what was spent on The MS :wacko:

Forget comparisons with Wembley, since that is THE national stadium and the budget would have been open ended. I doubt the Welsh RU could afford that much so what amount of assistance did they get ?

ToadKiller Dog
the bit in bold I agree with. I hate Hampden and I truly think thats its a complete waste of cash and an embarrassment as a national stadium if you compare it to others about.

The bit in italic I will take issue with though. I assume that the point of that is saying that Hampden wont host such occasions? It has already hosted both major European finals and within five years of each other. There wont be an Olympics in Scotland (well I highly doubt it) but it will be hosting events for the Commonwealth Games in 2014 and I cant see Scotland having a World Cup either can you?

I agree was more getting at the dancing reindeer's point that hampden aint to bad because it hosts gigs like rod stewart.

Chester™
I would certainly like to know how much Hampden cost, during two renovations, compared to what was spent on The MS :wacko:

Forget comparisons with Wembley, since that is THE national stadium and the budget would have been open ended. I doubt the Welsh RU could afford that much so what amount of assistance did they get ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Stadium#Construction

That gives details on that. Cant find much on Hampden but im sure its out there.

bigbadbill

What about Parkhead? The last time I was there the atmosphere was incredible! Ten years ago this weekend it was. May 16th 1998....

I'm no fan of Hampden bt at least it looks like Hampden.

When i was watching the FA Cup final this afternoon I kept thinking about previous finals...Alan Sunderland last minute winner, Trevor Brooking's header, Ian Rush knocking over the camera in the corner of the net as he scores for Liverpool amongst others. Wembley isn't Wembley anymore. It just seems another identikit big stadium.

Where's Archibald Leitch when you need him?

I quite like hampden. I agree that its not the greatest for spectators and access isn't ideal, but I see no problem with it being in Glasgow. The facilities are v.good and it still holds th noise of scotland fans well.

Celtic park is (annoyingly) one of the best large stadiums for fans. Tynecastle obviously is great too, our stadium positively rocks when we are in full flow. Murrayfield is a cracking ground too. I don't think we do too badly for stadiums in scotland.

Some info I found,

The next phase was the rebuilding of the South Stand and the redevelopment of the West Stand. This was completed in May 1999 at a cost of ?59 million. The original budget of ?51 million was exceeded by ?8 million (15.7%).

The Millennium Commission provided funding of ?24.2 million, which was very much appreciated although less than many other national projects received.

from http://www.hampdenpark.co.uk/about_hampden/history_page1.htm

And it cost less.

And it has a roof.

And it has cracking views from every seat.

And it sells beer.

Millennium stadium ?126M

Hamdump ?58m

Chester™
Millennium stadium ?126M

Hamdump ?58m

The figure for Hampden above was only for two stands was it not? If we say it cost the same for the other two (although I think the BT stand would have cost more and by all accounts we are paying back), it takes it to around ?10m less for a stadium that is nowhere near as good as what the Welsh paid for theirs.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Been on a tour of the Millenium Stadium and it is absolutely brilliant. Probably the best stadium I've been to.

Hampden is alright but it really is nowhere near as good as our rival countries national stadiums.

The figure for Hampden above was only for two stands was it not? If we say it cost the same for the other two (although I think the BT stand would have cost more and by all accounts we are paying back), it takes it to around ?10m less for a stadium that is nowhere near as good as what the Welsh paid for theirs.

The National Stadium Committee set about its task. It drew together ?12 million of funding to upgrade the North and East Stands, carry out external landscaping, improve car parking provision and provide hospitality lounges. These elements of work were completed in February 1994 and the Stadium hosted a full international match, Scotland v The Netherlands. Thereafter, the challenge was to complete the outstanding areas.

The next phase was the rebuilding of the South Stand and the redevelopment of the West Stand. This was completed in May 1999 at a cost of ?59 million. The original budget of ?51 million was exceeded by ?8 million (15.7%).

The Millennium Commission provided funding of ?24.2 million, which was very

much appreciated although less than many other national projects received.

Total ?71m for a 5 hit hole!

The BT stand at Hampden is excellent, sat pretty low down for the UEFA Cup final and still had an excellent view.

However, no matter where you sit behind the goals your view is awful.

Wiki article puts the cost ( slightly over budget ) at ?70m for Hampdump.

There is no mention of the cost of the 'phase' 1 .........where they concreted the old terracing and put seats in ( maybe thats been airbrushed out of the history books as it was clearly wasted money. I think that the GFA may at one point have actually contemplated using Ibrox / Parkhead for Scotland matches but things got a bit 'frosty' as I recall and that was then a no-no ?

Still think it's daft as it cant house either of the OFs home support, and they after all is what the game is all about :rolleyes:

The BT stand at Hampden is excellent, sat pretty low down for the UEFA Cup final and still had an excellent view.

Correct, the far away goalmouth action was like watching a flee circus.........mind you, we were playing the Mhanks that day ;)

Dr Ian Malcolm

The only times I've had a good view at Hampden have been when sat in the BT Upper - once years ago for a qualifier against Iceland (Lee Wilkie scored ffs) and at the semi (very last section of the upper tier, on the corner of where it morphs in to the west stand). Anywhere else is hopeless. For a supposed 5* stadium (or is it 4?) to have one stand where you have decent sight lines is terrible.

I don't really see the need for Hampden tbh. I'm all for tradition but there's already two far superior stadiums in the same city, another not much more than an hour away. Ibrox (which I think is a cracking ground, Celtic Park seems to get all the plaudits but it seems mpre cramped and bitty in design compared to Ibrox) and CP are more than adeqaute for semi finals/finals. The crowds that Scotland draw for friendlies doesn't justify stageing them at Hampden and could easily be hosted around the country.

They should have re-done the whole place or not at all.

Don't think I'd agree with that, mon ami.

I was just about slap bang in the middle of the Saltire (on the seating arrangement) at the Hearts end for the Scotland-Ukraine game and saw, pretty clearly, 3 of the 4 goals.

Can't actually remember if I was seated or standing at the time, thiugh.

christhejambo

Not a big fan of the place admittedly, but it holds some great memories of fantasitc games and results. The atmosphere beating the french, dutch, and drawing with the germans were excellent. Haven't personally been to wembley or millenium stadium yet, but considering the atmosphere at the last few england home games, im happy enough with hampden for the time being. Access is a total mare though. I'd like to see us keep progressing on the park, selling out home games, actually qualifying for a tournament, and consolidating our fifa ranking before splashing out on a fancy new venue just because other nations have.

Dr Ian Malcolm
Not a big fan of the place admittedly, but it holds some great memories of fantasitc games and results. The atmosphere beating the french, dutch, and drawing with the germans were excellent. Haven't personally been to wembley or millenium stadium yet, but considering the atmosphere at the last few england home games, im happy enough with hampden for the time being. Access is a total mare though. I'd like to see us keep progressing on the park, selling out home games, actually qualifying for a tournament, and consolidating our fifa ranking before splashing out on a fancy new venue just because other nations have.

Wales have been murder for years, haven't qualified for a major tournament for 50 years yet their stadium is one of the world's best. I don't think how good we are is all that relevant - we generally sell out the big games easily, if anything Hampden is too small.

I agree that there's excellent memories, but on the whole Hampden isn't really geared towards generating a good atmosphere - its extremely open and miles away from the pitch, so I think the fans do well to generate the atmosphere they do. Just think how much better it could though. A bit of common sense, long term planning and ambition from the SFA is whats required. Unforutantely, you could never accuse the SFA of possessing any.

christhejambo
Wales have been murder for years, haven't qualified for a major tournament for 50 years yet their stadium is one of the world's best. I don't think how good we are is all that relevant - we generally sell out the big games easily, if anything Hampden is too small.

I agree that there's excellent memories, but on the whole Hampden isn't really geared towards generating a good atmosphere - its extremely open and miles away from the pitch, so I think the fans do well to generate the atmosphere they do. Just think how much better it could though. A bit of common sense, long term planning and ambition from the SFA is whats required. Unforutantely, you could never accuse the SFA of possessing any.

The Millenium Stadium is a more of a national stadium than Hampden, in the sense that it is used for rugby and well as football(if not more than football!). The fact that we have a top class venue in Murrayfield for rugby has eliminated the need for an all singing all dancing multi-event venue like they have in Wales. Building the stadium in the first place put the WRU in crippling debt to the tune of about ?150m, so i cant see the SFA being too keen to make similar strides to improve what is already a 5* venue in Uefa terms-unfortunately.

Rudolf's Mate

It's not that I don't like Hampden...... It's more of a case that the Welsh built the Millenium Stadium and if they can build something like that they surely we could have come up with a better end result than Hampden!

If anyone has already said this then sorry .

Very simple idea and very cost effective.

We need a world class stadium for our national football team .

Hamdump is mince so we only have 3 stadium that you could call world class. Ipox' Celtic park and Murrayfield .

Ipox and Celtic park are being used nearly every second week . Plus we don't want our national team playing out of a stadium thats not ours .

So why not sell hamdump and with the money buy Murrayfield .

The SRU are penniless and have been talking about selling Murrayfield and building a smaller venue .

Should be able to get it at a great price .

A world class stadium for sweeties.

We could even rent the stadium back to the SRU and make money.

The only people i think who will be against this are rugby haters and weegies.

winston churchill

it all boils down to the weegie mafia.

they wanted a neutral ground for the old firm,and because of politics and jealousy,they turned a blind eye to the best stadium in the country which also happens to be in the capital.

the easy answer was, just tart up hampden.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Our National Stadium should be in Edinburgh!

I don't think we actually need a national stadium at all! Play Scotland games at different SPL grounds depending on opposition/importance (eg Scotland v Italy at Ibrox, Parkhead, Scotland v Denmark at Tynie, Easter Rd, Rugby Park).

Chester™
Building the stadium in the first place put the WRU in crippling debt to the tune of about ?150m, so i cant see the SFA being too keen to make similar strides to improve what is already a 5* venue in Uefa terms-unfortunately.

It must have been one huge interest rate then. The stadium only cost ?126m with around 1/3 coming from a lottery grant. Lets not forget anything into double figure debt is crippling for rugby union (and dare I say as football union too).

I agree with taking games around the country. Many other countries do it such as Italy and Spain so I dont see why we cant do it here. Its not particularly fair on those not from the central belt having to travel to the Weeg for games against San Marino and the like.

Gigolo-Aunt
I don't think we actually need a national stadium at all! Play Scotland games at different SPL grounds depending on opposition/importance (eg Scotland v Italy at Ibrox, Parkhead, Scotland v Denmark at Tynie, Easter Rd, Rugby Park).

What happens for OF Cup finals?

Archived