What can Scotland learn from World Cup 2014

Jamboy81

Get in about the Germans......let them play and they will destroy you.....flood the midfield and they shecht their knickers

Overwhelming doom and gloom and negativity. Cringey reading. There are massive improvements/ changes in line with European methodsm been made around Scottish youth football in recent years, will just take some time for the product to come through.

Dallas Green

More coaches and better coaches.

We can produce good players but their heads seemed to get turned from an early age onto other things.

It still irritates me that Wales have had two absolutely class players in recent years, and Scotland have had none.

James McCarthy will become one of the best midfielders on the planet by his peak - he is Scotland's world class player of his generation. Unfortunately we missed out on him but I think instances like that have triggered the player database that ensures, no one is overlooked.

RustyRightPeg

James McCarthy will become one of the best midfielders on the planet by his peak - he is Scotland's world class player of his generation. Unfortunately we missed out on him but I think instances like that have triggered the player database that ensures, no one is overlooked.

Maybe not the planet, Britain maybe. Can't see him being up there with the likes of Gotze, Kroos, Isco etc.

Hagar the Horrible

Overwhelming doom and gloom and negativity. Cringey reading. There are massive improvements/ changes in line with European methodsm been made around Scottish youth football in recent years, will just take some time for the product to come through.

Ban on Nando's ban on alcohol, train twice as long and twice as hard, and if you hear anybody in our game in our country saying this is the way we have always done it, sack them on the spot.

Seymour M Hersh

Perhaps but the basic technique of our players is still a long way behind many countries.

The other countries have better looking burds...........

doctor jambo

We need to copy Wales for the front players

So far they have produced in my adult life Hartson, Bellamy, Giggs, Bale. Lennon, and may others who would stroll whistling into our team

We are crap from midfield forwards and have been for a very long time

We need to copy Wales for the front players

So far they have produced in my adult life Hartson, Bellamy, Giggs, Bale. Lennon, and may others who would stroll whistling into our team

We are crap from midfield forwards and have been for a very long time

Lennon?

Or not have a dinosaur in Archie Knox picking our U21 squad and ignoring young players because they are attached to non SPL teams?

As an aside, did anyone listen to Craig Brown on Sportsound the weekend before last. Knox was running with the team against Belgium as Brown had been sent to the stand. Going into injury time, with Scotland 2.1 up andWilmots having been sent off. Brown gestures to Knox to make a substitution to disrupt the flow of the game. Knox responds with the 'smoking a cigar' gesture. Boom. 2.2 and any real chance of Scotland qualifying down the swanny.

PS - i'm fully aware of Knox's assistant manager achievements with Ferguson and Smith.

Our results and performances at various youth levels are improving year on year. Billy Stark's disastrous helming of the under 21s the obvious exception.

The days when we were guaranteed to be in the mix in every campaign probably won't return but there's plenty reason to think we will qualify for things in the years to come

Our results and performances at various youth levels are improving year on year. Billy Stark's disastrous helming of the under 21s the obvious exception.

The days when we were guaranteed to be in the mix in every campaign probably won't return but there's plenty reason to think we will qualify for things in the years to come

I have to admit I have lost all faith in Starks ability to run the under 21's.

ArcticJambo

see, I hate the term "old school coaches". There will always be good and bad throughout the decades and some of the best were "old school".

The problem with this country is too many of the wrong ones are in the majority just now.

I'm not saying im the best judge but I played under what I regard a very good coach 20 odd years ago at under 18s. He'd actually been at Rangers but came back to Edinburgh to coach.

It was all about (coaching)touch, awareness, passing, speed of thought and he also pressed home personal discipline as a person and how we live away from the training field and matchday.

Now, 20 odd years on the guy is in his early 50s doing nothing , not through choice, but he became disillusioned with the set up in the country. My point is , too many of these guys are being lost to our game for some reason?

I played under many coaches afterwards and to this day I still regard him as head and shoulders above those others. He had the proper vision and methods young players need and apart from his technical coaching he was big on life habits and how you conducted yourself.

I don't disagree with you, and when I used the term 'old time coaches' I was specifically referring to a group that continues to use tried and tested methods, and indeed winning methods for our region but it does not transfer to playing against teams from outwith that are using more traditional but definitely fundamental approaches like pass and move within a possession game. Some are still decent coaches but they don't seem willing to see the bigger picture.

I'm not quite at the age of your coach but I see parallels in a way ... I too have become somewhat jaded by the whole set-up but I still bash on with our system, year after year because the kids keep asking me to. My situation is comparatively simple by comparison I suspect however.

colinmaroon

What "will" Scotland learn from WC 2014?

Sweet Frances Adams!

We're needing an extinction event for the dinosaurs running our game before we will be free to "learn" and "adopt" anything at national level.

Archived