McGhee in "Come & get me" call

Rick Grimes

I watched his interview after the game today and from what he was saying i dont think he'll be at Hearts next season.

and the first reply suggested re-reading the article. something he & you should do.

That's exactly my point. The OP was based on a typo (I think) and all that follows is a bit of a non-story.

Rick Grimes
That's exactly my point. The OP was based on a typo (I think) and all that follows is a bit of a non-story.

no, what follows the typo are some thinly concealed attempts by McGhee to get the interest of a bigger club and/or more financial backing from 'Well.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Seems to me like hes saying to Well if they want to keep him from going somewhere else they'll need to up his wages. Not necessarily Hearts, but he's obviously aware of interest from somewhere and realises he's in a pretty negotiating position when it comes to what he can get - Motherwell can't expect to keep him on the wage he's currently after a) giving them their best season in over a decade and B) he's wanted elsewhere. His stock is high just now (possibly the highest its been) so he can demand a far improved salary. He'll look after number one, which he's entitled to do.

Only a Game
Seems to me like hes saying to Well if they want to keep him from going somewhere else they'll need to up his wages. Not necessarily Hearts, but he's obviously aware of interest from somewhere and realises he's in a pretty negotiating position when it comes to what he can get - Motherwell can't expect to keep him on the wage he's currently after a) giving them their best season in over a decade and B) he's wanted elsewhere. His stock is high just now (possibly the highest its been) so he can demand a far improved salary. He'll look after number one, which he's entitled to do.

Motherwell are not about to break the bank, having almost gone under just a couple of years ago, for the sake of one or two ties in the early rounds of the UEFA cup. Thats as far as they will get and apart from a cup win, third place in the league is as high as they will ever go.

At the very least we have the ambition and the means to go a bit further than that.

Lochend Brazil
Motherwell are not about to break the bank, having almost gone under just a couple of years ago, for the sake of one or two ties in the early rounds of the UEFA cup. Thats as far as they will get and apart from a cup win, third place in the league is as high as they will ever go.

At the very least we have the ambition and the means to go a bit further than that.

An unemployable manager before he come to the steel men. He had failed every where he went prior to there. So if he is on on say 500 quid a week the fat Tam Cowen gang at least afford double that now.:P

Only a Game
An unemployable manager before he come to the steel men. He had failed every where he went prior to there. So if he is on on say 500 quid a week the fat Tam Cowen gang at least afford double that now.:P

Whilst not a resounding sucess and not having managed at the very highest level, I dont think you can say he was a failure, not totally. (for example, he started off what Reading have achieved now) He was struggling for a job because he had made hasty decisions when leaving clubs, which is a bit of a worry in itself I suppose.

Word has it, if you believe word, that he's on ?75k a year at Motherwell. We ought to be able to multiply that by 4 at least, and he does seem to chase the money.

Lochend Brazil
Whilst not a resounding sucess and not having managed at the very highest level, I dont think you can say he was a failure, not totally. (for example, he started off what Reading have achieved now) He was struggling for a job because he had made hasty decisions when leaving clubs, which is a bit of a worry in itself I suppose.

Word has it, if you believe word, that he's on ?75k a year at Motherwell. We ought to be able to multiply that by 4 at least, and he does seem to chase the money.

Are you sniffing glue he was at Reading over ten years ago. He is a failure end of. He left clubs prior to being emptied, if not did he contribute to Leicester current demise.

Only a Game
Are you sniffing glue he was at Reading over ten years ago. He is a failure end of. He left clubs prior to being emptied, if not did he contribute to Leicester current demise.

I'm not sniffing anything apart from your bull****. Ok more recently he got Brighton into the Championship and kept them there for a season. Was that a failure ?

Charlie-Brown

Shaun.Lawson previously posted a good analysis & summary of McGhee's management career in england....maybe someone can find / re-post it? :)

Only a Game
Shaun.Lawson previously posted a good analysis & summary of McGhee's management career in england....maybe someone can find / re-post it? :)

Ive look at it in detail myself NMH. Not a massive success. Left a couple of clubs in the lurch. Not a failure though by any means. And when you take into account the fact that he's just got a nothing club with a very average playing squad into Europe in the league we play in, I'd say he's almost at the top end of we could hope to attract.

Lochend Brazil
I'm not sniffing anything apart from your bull****. Ok more recently he got Brighton into the Championship and kept them there for a season. Was that a failure ?

By a ball hair. He got nailed a year later and you forgot to mention he nearly bankrupted Wolves. Nobody wanted him apart from an irish garage that played part time football and the steelmen.

Hope you baught you new ticket based on him being our saviour. Mine was baught for the love of my club.

Brighton, the foxes and Wolves (in what order) ho ho.

Charlie-Brown
Ive look at it in detail myself NMH. Not a massive success. Left a couple of clubs in the lurch. Not a failure though by any means. And when you take into account the fact that he's just got a nothing club with a very average playing squad into Europe in the league we play in, I'd say he's almost at the top end of we could hope to attract.

Motherwell went from 10th to 3rd in one season without any appreciable rise in player budget or massive amount of signings.............however you look at it that suggest excellent management this season at least.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

I personally think that far too much has been speculated in many different places for there not to be some shred of truth in it. Its even doing the rounds amongst Motherwell fans according to Tam Cowan in the Record today. But i believe us wanting McGhee and McGhee wanting to come to us is 2 very different things.

As far as the media is conserned, I know someone who works for a TV station within thier sports department. Now they dont know whether McGhee is coming or not but they did say that the newspaper people are all aware of whats being said and many claim to have the full story. So its not a story invented amonst us on Kickback

With regards to McGhee's record in England, as patchy as it may be, it shows how far we have fallen that most fans are willing to disregard that as long as we have someone in charge with some kind of record in running a team day in day out. I personally would take the guy in a heartbeat but the same could be said for any half succesful manager right now

Dr Ian Malcolm

Thats what I was getting at - if he'd seen himself at Motherwell in the medium term at least you'd expect him to be telling other clubs its up to them to tept him away rather than challenging Motherwell to keep him. I would say Hearts are an attractive enough proposition financially and in terms of potential for Mcghee, its just that the pros are offset by the major con of having a mentalist running the show.

I think theres a good chance he'll be somewhere other than Motherwell next season, whether its here, who knows.

Archived