Gorgie connoisseurs

inspector

Whilst perusing the Kickback site in general, I like to quaff the odd bottle of wine. At the moment I am knocking back a bottle of OGIO PRIMITIVO ( An Italian beverage) which seems to hit the spot. My question to you all is , which other reasonably priced wines would you recommend whilst chatting to fellow jams on KB? - FORTIFIED WINES ARE NOT REAL WINES

Whilst perusing the Kickback site in general, I like to quaff the odd bottle of wine. At the moment I am knocking back a bottle of OGIO PRIMITIVO ( An Italian beverage) which seems to hit the spot. My question to you all is , which other reasonably priced wines would you recommend whilst chatting to fellow jams on KB? - FORTIFIED WINES ARE NOT REAL WINES

One of my regular wines is De Bortoli Petit Verdot.

One of my regular wines is De Bortoli Petit Verdot.

Which is available from ?

Which is available from ?

My local Oddbins at Craiglockhart.

Unsure where else but I assume other Oddbins etc?

P.S - Where do you get your OGIO PRIMITIVO from?

I've just taken delivery of a case of El Bombero Carinera from Laithwaites. And a very nice drop it is as well. Though rather worryingly a Barollo like 15% ABV.

I've just taken delivery of a case of El Bombero Carinera from Laithwaites. And a very nice drop it is as well. Though rather worryingly a Barollo like 15% ABV.

I have tried Laithwaites before and find their wine very young and not very good.

However that may well be just me. That said I do think I know my wine.

;)

P.S - I am sure Laithwaites were trying to sell what you have ordered Tazio to me on special offer last year ..........

P.P.S - I have tried Laithwaites and Virgin wines before and neither come in comparison my local Oddbins, but that may well be just my local?

I have tried Laithwaites before and find their wine very young and not very good.

However that may well be just me. That said I do think I know my wine.

;)

What you look for really, I have had some good and some bad from them before. Had a lovely crate of Argentinian red form them a while back, sadly can't remember what it was. I bought the Bombero as it was a good cheap deal and came highly recommended by the Times.

For a ?60 crate it is not too bad. I like heavy reds and it seems pretty good so far. I'm a bit bored of the New World reds that whilst good are a little bit unchallenging and veer more towards fruit juice with each passing year for some vineyards.

What you look for really, I have had some good and some bad from them before. Had a lovely crate of Argentinian red form them a while back, sadly can't remember what it was. I bought the Bombero as it was a good cheap deal and came highly recommended by the Times.

For a ?60 crate it is not too bad. I like heavy reds and it seems pretty good so far. I'm a bit bored of the New World reds that whilst good are a little bit unchallenging and veer more towards fruit juice with each passing year for some vineyards.

For a heavy red try a Durif! ..... preferabley not from Laithwaites.

For a heavy red try a Durif! ..... preferabley not from Laithwaites.

Not tried that, where does it come from (area, not shop!)

What is your opinion of Chateau Musar?

My local Oddbins at Craiglockhart.

Unsure where else but I assume other Oddbins etc?

P.S - Where do you get your OGIO PRIMITIVO from?

Tesco online. I got it as half-price offer. I think it is priced at ?7.99 but I managed to get it at ?3.99 online. Mind you it was free delivery and clubcard points too. Tesco still do a lot of reasonable wines which still hit the spot ie more than 13%.

Not tried that, where does it come from (area, not shop!)

What is your opinion of Chateau Musar?

Unsure however when I have had it was (originated) in France and in Oz. Mainly when I get it here was imported from Oz.

I have not had Chateau Musar so I cannot comment, however if you can point me in the direction where to get it here I will give it a try and report back.

Unsure however when I have had it was (originated) in France and in Oz. Mainly when I get it here was imported from Oz.

I have not had Chateau Musar so I cannot comment, however if you can point me in the direction where to get it here I will give it a try and report back.

A bit of googling and it seems it is also called Petit Sirah, which I have had in California, very nice.

You can get a good selection of Chateau Musar in Villeneuve Wines on Broughton Street. Some people think it is quite old fashioned tasting but a good vintage can be stunning, needs properly breathed though if it over a few years old. I have an '86 waiting for a special occasion.

A bit of googling and it seems it is also called Petit Sirah, which I have had in California, very nice.

You can get a good selection of Chateau Musar in Villeneuve Wines on Broughton Street. Some people think it is quite old fashioned tasting but a good vintage can be stunning, needs properly breathed though if it over a few years old. I have an '86 waiting for a special occasion.

Nice I will definitely check it out. In California did you go to Napa Valley?

I had a nice Pinot Noir in The Atrium this evening. Unsure on any exacts etc but it was nice.

Nice I will definitely check it out.

I had a nice Pinot Noir in The Atrium this evening. Unsure on any exacts etc but it was nice.

Andrew doesn't mess around with his wine lists. Few decent restaurants do.

In California did you go to Napa Valley?

No, had it in LA. In San Francisco in a month so may investigate a bit more. It would be rude not to:rolleyes:

Andrew doesn't mess around with his wine lists. Few decent restaurants do.

That said Andrew lets himself down a little with Blue.

That said Andrew lets himself down a little with Blue.

It turns a profit and attracts a crowd who like to spend without thinking.

Surprised it wasn't opened exactly 10 years ago, assuming you had it then.

It turns a profit and attracts a crowd who like to spend without thinking.

That may well be the case as the quality of food between The Atrium and Blue is hugely significant.

Despite the price difference Blue is still not worth the money whereas The Atrium is well worth it.

Surprised it wasn't opened exactly 10 years ago, assuming you had then.

It was a gift about 5 years ago. If I had opened it 2 years ago I wouldn't be alive to be typing this.

It was a gift about 5 years ago. If I had opened it 2 years ago I wouldn't be alive to be typing this.

Always loved a wine with a bit of history. Yours might just have that by the glass-ful

davemclaren

Lovely stuff. I've ordered the odd case before from my wine club. :)

Lovely stuff. I've ordered the odd case before from my wine club. :)

Another sucker hence why Tony Laithwaite is rich on selling average young wines.

You will probably be better buying young average wines from the supermarket. ;)

rossi_1983

Had a good Trentham Shiraz for only 5.99 a bottle

The best place I know for wine is Great Grog, between Scottish Widows and St Leaonard's Police Station. The folk in there really know their stuff

Tonight I was drinking Zonte's footstep, which is a good, strong red with a bit of a kick

davemclaren
Another sucker hence why Tony Laithwaite is rich on selling average young wines.

You will probably be better buying young average wines from the supermarket. ;)

Quite possibly, but I wouldn't know what to buy anyway so I'd be suckered there as well. We can't all be as expert as yourself. :)

Spot on I bought 3 bottles from a place in Newcastle on Wednesday & have tanned 2 of them already, it`s as you say "A NICE DROP".:thumb:

No, had it in LA. In San Francisco in a month so may investigate a bit more. It would be rude not to:rolleyes:

I popped along to Napa Valley when in San Fran, has a cracking time (in both places), loads of tours to choose from Taz.

Can't remember where I all went to, I'll post if I remember them - it was safe to say I had a good few snifters and bought a good few bottles too!

I won the quiz of guess the type of wine - oh yeash, the educated palate wins every time! ;)

Quite possibly, but I wouldn't know what to buy anyway so I'd be suckered there as well. We can't all be as expert as yourself. :)

Do a bit of research prior to buying and don't be scared to try different ones, wine should be enjoyed and not drunk for the sake of it!

davemclaren
Do a bit of research prior to buying and don't be scared to try different ones, wine should be enjoyed and not drunk for the sake of it!

I'm not scared but it is easier to pick ones that look like they might be interesting from a catalogue that comes once a month.

Perhaps we need a recommendations thread to run on here and we could then get the benefit of the trained palates in Craiglockhart or other top areas of Edinburgh? :cool_shades:

100% agree!

I'm not scared but it is easier to pick ones that look like they might be interesting from a catalogue that comes once a month.

Perhaps we need a recommendations thread to run on here and we could then get the benefit of the trained palates in Craiglockhart or other top areas of Edinburgh? :cool_shades:

What does 'look like they might be interesting' mean? Nice label? Shape of bottle?

Not a bad idea re a recommendations thread though as I'm always interested in trying out new wines esp if they have come from a recommendation.

You seem to have a bit of an inferiority complex with neobis and his wine knowledge. He has added some interesting info re wines which you seem reluctant to take on board, I know I will be looking into the ones he has suggested.

davemclaren
What does 'look like they might be interesting' mean? Nice label? Shape of bottle?

Not a bad idea re a recommendations thread though as I'm always interested in trying out new wines esp if they have come from a recommendation.

You seem to have a bit of an inferiority complex with neobis and his wine knowledge. He has added some interesting info re wines which you seem reluctant to take on board, I know I will be looking into the ones he has suggested.

Ye, I'm happy to admit that interesting labels or bottles can influence me. :)

I was trying to be a wee bit humorous re Neobis but will indeed try out some of his suggestions. Of course, I may have to travel as they could be hard to source in Bonnyrigg. :P

Ye, I'm happy to admit that interesting labels or bottles can influence me. :)

I was trying to be a wee bit humorous re Neobis but will indeed try out some of his suggestions. Of course, I may have to travel as they could be hard to source in Bonnyrigg. :P

Fair enough Dave, I missed the humour!

P.S. Some people are influenced by the label and bottle shape!

P.S. Some people are influenced by the label and bottle shape!

Yep, it's called marketing, and the New World wine companies are very good at it. Though conversely you see people buying wines because they have an old fashioned looking label.

Yep, it's called marketing, and the New World wine companies are very good at it. Though conversely you see people buying wines because they have an old fashioned looking label.

Correct!

Marketing and stupid people = Marketeers dream!

davemclaren
Correct!

Marketing and stupid people = Marketeers dream!

And you are not influenced at all by marketing? ;)

And you are not influenced at all by marketing? ;)

nope, being a cynic keeps my head clear when making purchases - that along with research.

You sound like a marketeers dream tho Dave! ;)

While I was on holiday in Sardinia a couple of weeks ago I found a really nice red - La Gioiosa Cabernet Sauvignon, still trying to sourse some over here tho! Tesco have the La Gioiosa Prosecco and a Rose but no sign of the Cabernet Sauvignon! Anyone any ideas of where I could get some??

Archived