Hello Jambos

The_Bhoy_Kristov

The_Bhoy_Kristov

Hello Heart of Midlothian FC fans ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, i just wanted to contact you to say i have signed up for your forum because i am trying to possibly organise a charity event which would be a mini football tournament to raise money for a Tommy Burns charity fund which the messageboard i represent called CelticMinded.com is in the process of organising a series of events for.

I proposed the idea that because Tommy Burns was well respected within the Scottish football community that we could possibly have a tournament where people from a number of the independent soccer forums across Scotland could participate in to raise money for a cancer charity and in memory of Tommy Burns.

I have signed up to your messageboard today to ask for opinions and thoughts on how we can maybe go about organising the event if you guys are willing to help out, its ok if you aren't interested but basically the long and short of this e-mail is that i would like to think that a genuine loss to Scottish football like this transcends football rivalries and unites us all as fans of Scottish football.

So please run it by your forum members and see what their thoughts and opinions are.

Thanks for your time

Kris Rennie(a Celtic fan)

Toxteth O'Grady
Hello Heart of Midlothian FC fans ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, i just wanted to contact you to say i have signed up for your forum because i am trying to possibly organise a charity event which would be a mini football tournament to raise money for a Tommy Burns charity fund which the messageboard i represent called is in the process of organising a series of events for.

I proposed the idea that because Tommy Burns was well respected within the Scottish football community that we could possibly have a tournament where people from a number of the independent soccer forums across Scotland could participate in to raise money for a cancer charity and in memory of Tommy Burns.

I have signed up to your messageboard today to ask for opinions and thoughts on how we can maybe go about organising the event if you guys are willing to help out, its ok if you aren't interested but basically the long and short of this e-mail is that i would like to think that a genuine loss to Scottish football like this transcends football rivalries and unites us all as fans of Scottish football.

So please run it by your forum members and see what their thoughts and opinions are.

Thanks for your time

Kris Rennie(a Celtic fan)

Kris, I've nothing against raising money for a cancer charity in fact I have planned to do something later this year, as a result of a family death.

I've got nothing against Tommy Burns but I'll be honest and say that I don't hold any affection for him either, he has never meant anything to me, I don't want that to sound harsh or suggest I don't like him or anything like that, he just hasn't ever been anyone I have had affection for, I'm a Hearts supporter.

However I couldn't imagine myself ever giving money to anything called CelticMinded.com

Good luck

Nucky Thompson
Kris, I've nothing against raising money for a cancer charity in fact I have planned to do something later this year, as a result of a family death.

I've got nothing against Tommy Burns but I'll be honest and say that I don't hold any affection for him either, he has never meant anything to me, I don't want that to sound harsh or suggest I don't like him or anything like that, he just hasn't ever been anyone I have had affection for, I'm a Hearts supporter.

However I couldn't imagine myself ever giving money to anything called CelticMinded.com

Good luck

I was trying to think of something to post, but that was top notch mate:)

BobbyJenkins

I dont think the 1st 2 responses to the OP are appropriate or necessary. Agree to get involved or ignore it IMO.

Of course ive responded to this...Im not up for it but good luck with your efforts.

Pete Seeger
I dont think the 1st 2 responses to the OP are appropriate or necessary. Agree to get involved or ignore it IMO.

Of course ive responded to this...Im not up for it but good luck with your efforts.

I think the first posts were very well put. I'm very sad to hear of Tommy's death and cancer is a horrific thing for anyone to deal with. But there are plenty way's to raise money for charity. I wish them all the best in raising money for cancer charitees but I'm afraid I'll give it a miss. Like I said, Good luck with raising money Kris

Anything that raises money for cancer charities can only be applauded, but I'm not convinced that a tournament like this is the best way to go about it. Still, good luck with it.

Charlie-Brown

I don't want this to sound sick or inappropriate but does anybody remember the tv advert when some old geezer shouted into a bucket or a watering-can (or something like that) and shouted "Tommy Burns? where are you?" .... bizarre! what was that advertising?

The_Bhoy_Kristov

Its no problem fellas, i appreciate your honesty.

The aim was to get a number of messageboards who represent the fanbase of SPL teams playing against each other in some football matches for a bit of fun and for a good cause, just an idea for a good day out for everybody really.

But hey, its cool, i don't begrudge anyone at JambosKickback for not wanting to get involved.

All i can say is thanks for giving me a forum for which to at least put the proposal down at least:)

The_Bhoy_Kristov - I appreciate your polite and courteous response.

I'd guess that the vast majority of kickback members have been touched by the scurge that is cancer, its a terrible terrible thing.

That said I do agree with Ooh aah Pinilla; nothing at all against Tommy Burns, who at 51 (I think) was taken so cruely and far far too soon, but if I were to support a cancer charity (and I do) I'm afraid it wouldn't be one generated as a result of the death of a celtic legend.

Regards

J

BobbyJenkins

Surely the ultimate aim is to raise money for a cancer charity that benefits all those affected by this terrible disease, irrespective of the reason behind it.

Fair dues to peoples' reasons for supporting or not. I just feel the end result is more important or worthy than what at the end of the day, IMO only of course, are footballing reasons not to get involved.

Not even sure that makes sense...no more wine for me...

Anyhoo, again, good luck.

Maybe a better approach would be to identify a player of every club involved that has died of cancer and make the tribute to each and every one of those players.

Each team would be player in honour of their chosen player and in respect of all the others.

Good luck with the fund raiser Kris - at least you've pulled your finger out.

davemclaren
Maybe a better approach would be to identify a player of every club involved that has died of cancer and make the tribute to each and every one of those players.

Each team would be player in honour of their chosen player and in respect of all the others.

Good luck with the fund raiser Kris - at least you've pulled your finger out.

That's an excellent idea imo. Makes it less partisan.

All due respects to Tommy. I believe he has a reputation as a great guy.

However I don't weep crocodile tears,

My abiding memory of Tommy is of Robbo hooking him.

Although I wish you all the best.

Surely the ultimate aim is to raise money for a cancer charity that benefits all those affected by this terrible disease, irrespective of the reason behind it.

Fair dues to peoples' reasons for supporting or not. I just feel the end result is more important or worthy than what at the end of the day, IMO only of course, are footballing reasons not to get involved.

Not even sure that makes sense...no more wine for me...

Anyhoo, again, good luck.

Totally agree with first part of your post. Personally i'm Too old to play and too busy to help organise but would have thought that if there is the will and the bodies able to organise a charidee match wi our city rivals then we could perhaps take part in something like this. Posters that state they would not give to a charity just because it has Tommy Burns' name on it need to have a word with themselves. Wonder if it had been a Davie Cooper event if certain posters would have felt the same way. Just a thought..as an aside Don't have any truck with media -driven grief fests that some appear to relish these days but initiatives such as this can only benefit those in need.Good luck with your efforts

Totally agree with first part of your post. Personally i'm Too old to play and too busy to help organise but would have thought that if there is the will and the bodies able to organise a charidee match wi our city rivals then we could perhaps take part in something like this. Posters that state they would not give to a charity just because it has Tommy Burns' name on it need to have a word with themselves. Wonder if it had been a Davie Cooper event if certain posters would have felt the same way. Just a thought..as an aside Don't have any truck with media -driven grief fests that some appear to relish these days but initiatives such as this can only benefit those in need.Good luck with your efforts

Very true. Some things make football pale into insignificance. This is one of them.

Although i wouldnt play in any event i would quite gladly contribute to any charity raising funds in aid of cancer research,something i am sure everyone on jkb would do,or infact something that most of us already do.

Kris,

Can I suggest that you may get a better response from supporters of other clubs and that the money raised would be better used if you raised the money for a charity such as Maggie's. I'm sure that a football competition such as the "Tommy Burn's Tournament in aid of Maggie's Cancer Care" would work.

Posters that state they would not give to a charity just because it has Tommy Burns' name on it need to have a word with themselves.

Why?

I'm sure that near enough everyone on Kickback has, at some stage, lost someone to some form of cancer. If I was going to do something for a cancer charity - and I actually plan to at some stage, was planning on running for charity before breaking my leg, now that's been set back a bit - it'd be in their memory, rather than the memory of an individual who I didn't know.

Obviously, anything which raises money for charity can only be applauded, but I feel quite uncomfortable with the sudden onset of faux grief that seems to surround the death of any well known figure in Scottish / British society. Cancer takes people all the time, it doesn't suddenly become an issue when someone famous dies of it.

Gillsland jack

Hi Kris,

Thanks for coming on and at least asking for support, the majority on this forum [modedit] would be open to such an invitation, my memory of Tommy Burns was watching him around 1980 when we were crap running the midfield for Celtic in a 5-1 victory at Tynecastle.

I was only sixteen at the time but he really caught my eye and years later I remember wandering why he only got something like 25 Scotland caps, I will remember Tommy Burns as somebody who never allowed himself to be dragged in to the sectarian nonsense that so obviously surrounded him on a daily basis at his place of work, he was a man of faith and that has to be respected but he never shoved it in anybodys face he did what he did privately.

Scotland has lost a real diamond of a man and because most Hearts supporters are Gentlemen the majority of posters on here will agree with me.

Robbo27_22

My abiding memory of TB wil be him running 40 odd yards to cross himself in front of the shed.

Both my gran's died of cancer so i'll always give to cancer charities such as macmillan or marie curie.

I'd have to pass on a TB charity tho.

Yes, probably everybody in Scotland has a family member who has had some form of cancer. This is the reason that so many of us get involved in all the fund raising events that are organised each year for all the various charities/organisations that are out there? While it doesn't suddenly 'become an issue' when someone famous dies of it, any way in which such a death can be turned into a positive thing - by raising public awareness, raising funds to help fight the disease or even if it just helps people to come to terms with their own loss/illness - should, IMO, be applauded.

Grief is a very subjective thing, and to accuse anyone of 'faux grief' is quite harsh. There may be a huge public and media reaction when someone famous passes but this is because, again, it reminds people of those they have lost themselves and, when it is someone famous who passes, it reminds us that cancer does indeed touch us all at some stage in our lives - nobody is immune to its effects (or if there is anyone out there who's family has not been affected in any way, I would suggest contacting Macmillan Cancer Research and offering yourself for genetic testing!!)

Yes, probably everybody in Scotland has a family member who has had some form of cancer. This is the reason that so many of us get involved in all the fund raising events that are organised each year for all the various charities/organisations that are out there? While it doesn't suddenly 'become an issue' when someone famous dies of it, any way in which such a death can be turned into a positive thing - by raising public awareness, raising funds to help fight the disease or even if it just helps people to come to terms with their own loss/illness - should, IMO, be applauded.

Grief is a very subjective thing, and to accuse anyone of 'faux grief' is quite harsh. There may be a huge public and media reaction when someone famous passes but this is because, again, it reminds people of those they have lost themselves and, when it is someone famous who passes, it reminds us that cancer does indeed touch us all at some stage in our lives - nobody is immune to its effects (or if there is anyone out there who's family has not been affected in any way, I would suggest contacting Macmillan Cancer Research and offering yourself for genetic testing!!)

I'm just uncomfortable with all this being done in the name of one man who died of cancer, when so many do every year. Once again, everything which raises money for cancer funds can only be applauded, but there are many ways to raise money and this isn't the one that I'd pick.

As for "faux grief", I'm not necessarily suggesting that people don't really care and are pretending to, but the tabloid media in particular all seem to try and out-grieve each other following the death of any public figure.

Kris,

Can I suggest that you may get a better response from supporters of other clubs and that the money raised would be better used if you raised the money for a charity such as Maggie's. I'm sure that a football competition such as the "Tommy Burn's Tournament in aid of Maggie's Cancer Care" would work.

I think this is the best suggestion I've seen in response to the OP.

Thanks to Kris for bringing the idea to the attention of JKB members. If an idea along the lines suggested by Rabgee gets off the ground, maybe that would be the best time to publicise it on various football forums.

That's a good place to close the discussion for now, I think.

Archived