Frail fights backs against critics of his time as Hearts boss

Sherlock

Stephen Frail has mounted an impassioned defence of his Hearts tenure in the wake of criticism from supporters, rejecting out of hand suggestions that he had lost respect within the dressing-room.

Stephen Frail has mounted an impassioned defence of his Hearts tenure in the wake of criticism from supporters, rejecting out of hand suggestions that he had lost respect within the dressing-room.

Unsure of Vladimir Romanov's plans for him this summer, Frail spoke to the Evening News stressing his desire to remain at Tynecastle in some capacity. His contract expires in a matter of weeks and Romanov has yet to announce details of the club's management structure for next season.

The former full-back will continue as interim manager until told otherwise, a role he insists has not damaged his credibility. Hearts finished their bottom-six fixtures with defeat to Gretna on Tuesday night but Frail maintains that results between January and the SPL split prove he had the squad's respect.

In a candid interview, he explained his willingness to co-operate with foreign players who were allowed to return home before the season had ended. Frail said he did everything in his power to help the team despite being personally chastised by a section of the support.

"I had to try and manage the situation as best I can. I tried to get results," he stated. "The discipline is always a problem. People say the players didn't respect me, I know they did because I got results. Whether or not that keeps me in a job, I don't know. I do know that, whatever happens, I can hold my head up high. I can assure all the Hearts fans that I worked my backside off 24-7 to try and make a success of it.

"Of course I want to stay, I'm not sure how many other people want that now when I listen to the fans. But I know what job I've done with the group of players we had. We went from second bottom to within touching distance of the top six, losing our top goalscorer (Andrius Velicka) in that period. I've said often that our results between January and the split would have had us in third."

Frail adhered to the personal wishes of certain players by letting them begin their summer break earlier than others. He dismissed the notion that his decisions had fostered any ill-feeling amongst those who stayed.

"Of the foreign lads, I've come and gone with all of them. They've all had an extra day here or there depending on circumstances so there shouldn't be any resentment. I tried to manage each case differently and one or two went home early. Fernando Screpis played on Tuesday night and left on Wednesday morning, because he has a long flight to Argentina.

"Christos Karipidis also went early and Miko's wife was due their baby so that's why he went back to Lithuania last week. The rest of the guys who were fit were all training on Wednesday and then were given their fitness programmes for the summer before saying goodbye to one another."

Neil McCann and Ibrahim Tall have left Tynecastle for the final time. McCann has joined Falkirk on a two-year contract while Tall is now back in France seeking a new club after his contract expired.

Speaking about his move, McCann said: "The organisation and ethic of what John (Hughes, manager), Brian (Rice, assistant) and George (Craig, managing director) are trying to do to take Falkirk places is exactly why I took the step to be here."

Guest GhostHunter

"...a section of the support" !! :eek:

What, like 98% of us ?

Maybe it's time he just shut his fecking gob.

Dr. Bapswent

Some people who take out their frustartions on Frail really need to take alook at themselves.

Small minded, ungrateful children the lot of them.

bighalders

Frail did work his socks off he couldn't have done anymore he gave all he had, which is why HE MUST GO, cos if his best resulted in 8th place and only two wins in the bottom six and the players not trying for him then Willie Ormond got better respect at Tynie than Frail, so sorry but he needs to go

Gigolo-Aunt
Some people who take out their frustartions on Frail really need to take alook at themselves.

Small minded, ungrateful children the lot of them.

So Frail is not allowed to be given critisism?

"People say the players didn't respect me, I know they did because I got results."

Yes, fabulous results such as Falkirk 2-1 Hearts, Hearts 0-2 Kilmarnock, Gretna 1 - 0 Hearts, Hearts 0 - 4 Rangers. Great stuff.

Dr. Bapswent
So Frail is not allowed to be given critisism?

There is a bit of difference between cirtiscism and telling someone to *** off.

Unsure of Vladimir Romanov's plans for him this summer, Frail spoke to the Evening News stressing his desire to remain at Tynecastle in some capacity. His contract expires in a matter of weeks and Romanov has yet to announce details of the club's management structure for next season.

The former full-back will continue as interim manager until told otherwise, a role he insists has not damaged his credibility. Hearts finished their bottom-six fixtures with defeat to Gretna on Tuesday night but Frail maintains that results between January and the SPL split prove he had the squad's respect.

Whether you like SF or not that is a scandalous way to be treated.

If Frail mentions once again that "we were 3rd in the league in terms of form since Christmas" once more, I think I'll slit my wrists.

I have news for you Frail. The season lasts from August to May.

Under Frail

We got knocked out of the Scottish Cup after being 2-0 up at home.

We got humped 4-1 from Dundee Utd.

We got humped 4-0 off Rangers at home.

We failed to beat Falkirk.

We failed to beat Kilmarnock.

We lost to Gretna.

If he considers this good enough, he is more mad than Vlad.

Add that to the fact that he still thinks Mole and Elliot are footballers, and continued to play Glen while injured, it says it all.

:mad:

Gigolo-Aunt

You never mentioned that.

:)

You have also described how the vast majority of threads on Kickback end up these days.

;)

Gigolo-Aunt

Whether you like SF or not that is a scandalous way to be treated.

I agree 100%.

Dr. Bapswent
You never mentioned that.

:)

You have also described how the vast majority of threads on Kickback end up these days.

;)

**** off!! ;)

bigbryanthejambo

Frail....your words mean nothing. You may have lifted us up from 2nd bottom when you gained "full control" of team affairs but if you felt even a fraction of the embarassment and hurt that we, the supporters feel after this god awful season....you wouldn't have the brass neck to try and defend your coaching style and the foreign legions of talentless drivel that constitutes our first team.

FRAIL FRAIL GTF!

Dr. Bapswent
Frail....your words mean nothing. You may have lifted us up from 2nd bottom when you gained "full control" of team affairs but if you felt even a fraction of the embarassment and hurt that we, the supporters feel after this god awful season....you wouldn't have the brass neck to try and defend your coaching style and the foreign legions of talentless drivel that constitutes our first team.

FRAIL FRAIL GTF!

Are you suggesting the fans are more effected and taking this worse than Frail?

What a cracking example of my point above.

bighalders

FRAIL FRAIL GTF!

Frail did an awful job but the GTF stuff is harsh, there is only one man who has totally and utterly destroyed our club and that is Vlad, our worst league position in 27 years and our worst financial position in 124 years, Vlad deserves all the abuse we can muster!

bigbryanthejambo
Are you suggesting the fans are more effected and taking this worse than Frail?

What a cracking example of my point above.

We can still see the strings on Frail, and his comments mean sweet FA. Vlad's hands arent firmly up our backside, working us like a puppet. Frail GTF!

This really isn't about Shaggy at all. He did his best and it wasn't good enough.

Instead of baying for his blood perhaps we could use our extraordinary powers for good ? Maybe we should be asking Vlad to appoint a manager ? :dribble:

just a thought . . .

Dr. Bapswent
We can still see the strings on Frail, and his comments mean sweet FA. Vlad's hands arent firmly up our backside, working us like a puppet. Frail GTF!

Is it standard practice to speak before thinking?

I mean, seriously, if you even follow yuor argument, why are you having a go at Frail.

You should be ignoring him and shouting at Vlad.

Either way, its not really Frails fault the situation he and the team are in.

zicoinexile

Wonder what our position will be when next season when we have 38 "must win" games to consider?

If SF is still around in his current role, I fear the worst.

:(

hearts_crazy

FRAIL FRAIL GTF!

The ones who can truly be described as 'talentless' aren't foreigners. The foriegners are the ones who don't give a toss about Hearts as long as they keep receiving their wages and don't try a leg. Either way none of the ones that fit into these brackets should be within a mile of our first team. That is why Frail must go.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I mean, seriously, if you even follow yuor argument, why are you having a go at Frail.

Do you think we should stick with Frail as the manager?

Drew Busby !
This really isn't about Shaggy at all. He did his best and it wasn't good enough.

Instead of baying for his blood perhaps we could use our extraordinary powers for good ? Maybe we should be asking Vlad to appoint a manager ? :dribble:

just a thought . . .

Theres every chance that Romanov won't appoint a manger for as long as he can use Frail as the whipping boy. Since Romanov won't sack him, then our only hope is for Frail to show some self-respect and resign, thereby confronting Vlad with the management dilemma for next season. But since Frail has no self-respect that doesn't seem to be on the cards.

****ing absurd situation ... a mediocre coach who can't be sacked and won't resign.

itsnomarooned

The bottom line is does Frail have the necessary skills and competancies to do the job? While I think we can all appreciate the trying circumstances he may be under - for me the answer to the question is ....... No he doesn't! Therefore he needs to be replaced.

Dr. Bapswent

No, i dont think he is qualified.

I think he could help out a decent manager though.

Yes people are allowed to criticise Frail

But these people are being played by Vlad like a fiddle

I stated a the time that the main objective of Frail's appointment in January would to become the scapegoat in the eyes of a large number of fans.

Takes the heat off Vlad

If people are told he is in full control people will believe that and the obviously predictable poor form results and style of football will be blamed on Frail, not Vlad

I dont want to be divisive, but why do so many people fall for it so easily?

pupstersajambo

The lack of patience and understanding by certain sections of the 'support' have been nothing short of scandalous. I sympathise with Frail over the position he has found himself in, and had the last three games of the season gone differently I wonder how many of the self appointed footballing experts would have been clammering for his dismissal then?

Like many, I don't believe he is ready at this moment in time to take full control, at least not without some experience there beside him taking the pressure off. He has had to do the full team as well as reservces since January which appears to be taking it's toll at the moment.

How he was expected to motivate players to their maximum in the last three games which were, I'm sure we all agree, meaningless is quetsionable. He can do everything right on the practice ground and in the changing rooms, but as soon as the players are out there, it's up to each and every one to motivate not only themself but those around them, lead by example.

He's not just alluded to this fact in interview but been directly quoted.

He knows what's wrong with the club, and what needs to change and regardless of who comes in and takes the reins, without the required changes taking effect nothing will alter.

So, before jumping on the bandwagon and shouting at Frail to GTF, which appears very easy to do, stop for a minute, think about what the real problems are and consider who is to blame and more importantly who can resolve the issues.

bigbryanthejambo

No...ur right Baps Out..... it isn't Frails fault at ALL. Let's sink to our knees in adulation of a solid manager with tactical awareness and the ability to spot a good Gay night club dancer and make him a prolific striker.

If you can honestly, hand on heart say that he's done a good job then sit back and listen to his excuses upon excuses for the poorest season in years.

We'll sit back and look at the foties u know so much about whilst waiting on a proper manager to arrive! :)

itsnomarooned

I stated a the time that the main objective of Frail's appointment in January would to become the scapegoat in the eyes of a large number of fans.

Takes the heat off Vlad

If people are told he is in full control people will believe that and the obviously predictable poor form results and style of football will be blamed on Frail, not Vlad

I dont want to be divisive, but why do so many people fall for it so easily?

I don't think that Frail is good enough for the top job - not just at Hearts but anywhere. This isn't to say he couldn't learn from an ecperienced man and become a top manager at some point in the future. He's not there yet - actually falls way short in my opinion.

However, I don't quite understand how that's me somehow being played like a fiddle ??!!

It doesn't make any difference who the "manager" is as Vlad and his cronies aren't going to stop interfering. So that leaves you with few options.

A - A manager with backbone who'll get sacked within months.

B - A manager from within the pyramid who will do entirely as he's told to do (Malofeev, Valdas)

C- someone like Frail who will try to influence from within whilst taking dogs abuse from blinkered supporters.

Only a complete change of mindset by Vlad will give us any other options.

Colonel Kurtz
Theres every chance that Romanov won't appoint a manger for as long as he can use Frail as the whipping boy. Since Romanov won't sack him, then our only hope is for Frail to show some self-respect and resign, thereby confronting Vlad with the management dilemma for next season. But since Frail has no self-respect that doesn't seem to be on the cards.

****ing absurd situation ... a mediocre coach who can't be sacked and won't resign.

Our only hope is that very low st renewals will force their hand .

cue the usual suspects,and consider their agenda?

Perhaps their messiah has been invited over to Lithuania

rudi must stay

Takes the heat off Vlad

I dont want to be divisive,but why do so many people fall for it so easily?

cos he's the manager ofcourse he's going to be judged on results

Right OK, maybe I am out of order telling him to **** off. Just dont think he is doing himself any favours by continuing at the club, he should have stood up to Romanov, the guy must have morals and a certain amount of respect for himself. He is a good coach, he would get a good job elsewhere at a club where coaches are allowed to do their jobs. He is not a manager and that is what we need. Maybe that is where my frustration lies not with Frail himself - I do agree he is a victim in all of this.

Dr. Bapswent
No...ur right Baps Out..... it isn't Frails fault at ALL. Let's sink to our knees in adulation of a solid manager with tactical awareness and the ability to spot a good Gay night club dancer and make him a prolific striker.

If you can honestly, hand on heart say that he's done a good job then sit back and listen to his excuses upon excuses for the poorest season in years.

We'll sit back and look at the foties u know so much about whilst waiting on a proper manager to arrive! :)

At what point did i say I thought he was a good manager?

I have never said that, all I said was I cant see how you can blame him when its clearly vlads fault, not Frails.

Frodo Jambo

Let's face it, this season has been truely woeful. It was beyond saving at the point at which Frail was appointed caretaker manager. It might even be beneficial in the long run that he didn't manage to scrap his way into the top 6; there was a real danger of cracks being papered over. Frail, despite whatever assurances over selection, training, etc were given, was little more than an 'old broom'. What is needed is undoubtedly a new broom, someone the players don't have the same, um, 'affection' for. Fingers are crossed in hope of a meaningful annoucement from Stalag Hearts.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
It doesn't make any difference who the "manager" is as Vlad and his cronies aren't going to stop interfering. So that leaves you with few options.

A - A manager with backbone who'll get sacked within months.

B - A manager from within the pyramid who will do entirely as he's told to do (Malofeev, Valdas)

C- someone like Frail who will try to influence from within whilst taking dogs abuse from blinkered supporters.

Only a complete change of mindset by Vlad will give us any other options.

Why did St Frail come out and say numerous times that this was HIS team and there was NO interference. :rolleyes:

He wasn't lying to the blinkered supporters surely?

St Steve wouldn't do that.

I dont doubt he worked his arse off 24-7, but I jut dont think he is ready for this yet.

Interesting to note he talks in the past tense.

Guest GhostHunter

bbthej - I've sorted your sig out - it were doing ma chebs in

bigbryanthejambo
At what point did i say I thought he was a good manager?

I have never said that, all I said was I cant see how you can blame him when its clearly vlads fault, not Frails.

Ultimatley there is truth in what you say Dr B.....it's just the vicious and self important way you go about raising questions with anyone else opinions that cause people to shout- "Baps Out" or "foties" !!

Vlad is to blame in the whole picture yes. For bringing Ivaskevicious and the like to Tynie, selling Skacel, Gordon, the Riccarton 3 fiasco and sacking Burley.

But if Frail is to be believed then he has had "full control" since January and has continued to play Elliot in a negative formation. He must be held accountable. Mistakes, bad substitutions and what must be described as NO control over the players (Kingston, Stewart etc) has given us this deflated, pitiful end to the season. The Falkirk game, the Killie game, and Gretna game cement that in my mind.

bigbryanthejambo
bbthej - I've sorted your sig out - it were doing ma chebs in

Cheers chief. Was doing my proverbial chebs in anaw!! :)

Frail may have worked hard but he is not good enough - and I do not believe his results have been good, that is a problem for me, as he seems to think they have been. With regards to the players, you can debate how good they are, but they should be able to do better regardless of this fact.

It is also frusrating to here him come out with the same lines, such as.

'It is a must win game'

'Results under me would have been god enough to be chalenging for third place' - not true, I believe.

'Callum Eliot will come good'

Dr. Bapswent
Ultimatley there is truth in what you say Dr B.....it's just the vicious and self important way you go about raising questions with anyone else opinions that cause people to shout- "Baps Out" or "foties" !!

Vlad is to blame in the whole picture yes. For bringing Ivaskevicious and the like to Tynie, selling Skacel, Gordon, the Riccarton 3 fiasco and sacking Burley.

But if Frail is to be believed then he has had "full control" since January and has continued to play Elliot in a negative formation. He must be held accountable. Mistakes, bad substitutions and what must be described as NO control over the players (Kingston, Stewart etc) has given us this deflated, pitiful end to the season. The Falkirk game, the Killie game, and Gretna game cement that in my mind.

foties?

Think maybe there are 2 sides to this argument.

1. Should SF GTF as they say

2. Should he stay but not in a management capacity

Personally, I have some sympathy with him as he's in a psoition not of his own making.

However, he clearly showed with results/tactics/formation against falkirk and Killie - pre split when it did matter - that he isn't up to the job of manager. Not a criticism, simply a fact.

I would happily keep him on the coaching staff but a manager is what's required and unless that is resolved, I can't see anything changing.

bigbryanthejambo
You still lost me.

If only we had lost you bapswent.

Ask yer Mrs.

Archived