What does it matter that we're in the Championship?

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

I mean in terms of profile of the club and attracting players. Money, pure and simple, right?

IMO we'll be in one of the most competitive leagues in Europe playing alongside internationally recognised opponents and our own derby enemies. Add that to a better than usual chance of winning something and hopefully a high standard of coaching. Players would be mugs to choose most SPL clubs over us.

I would normally say that if they are only coming for the money, then I am not interested, but given we won't be paying much, then I think that is less likely.

Wow, i've stepped onto Follow Follow.

It matters. Let's not kid ourselves on at that. We would've (and have) rightfully accused players of lacking ambition for signing for Rangers and dropping down levels in the past. Don't see why we are any different. It will be difficult to get players in.

We have no chance of competing for Europe via league entry and a lot less prize / TV money available to us as well. Players with ambition will want to play in the top leagues. We have lost our higher earners at the club too (some of whom we are happy to keep and others we are diappointed to see go). Dundee Utd are trying to poach our captain because we are now down a division.

That said, i'm happy with the level of player we are being linked with. Signing them is another matter.

Dr. Bapswent

I mean in terms of profile of the club and attracting players. Money, pure and simple, right?

IMO we'll be in one of the most competitive leagues in Europe playing alongside internationally recognised opponents and our own derby enemies. Add that to a better than usual chance of winning something and hopefully a high standard of coaching. Players would be mugs to choose most SPL clubs over us.

Do you really believe that or are you tryin to convince yourself of that?

Have you also factored in the security of playing for a club that almost disappeared, do you think that makes us a 'safe bet'?

And do you think that we are flush to splash cash now that we have survived? how much money do you think we actually have?

It appears the whole admin thing hasnt seemed to have removed the Maroon tinted glasses from many fans.... which is a shame as I was hopeful the whole saga might install some realism,

tartofmidlothian

Any player with ambition will recognise we're a step back to potentially take two forward, plus they'll arguably be more in the shop window than most teams in the Premiership would put them. Or Rangers over the last two seasons.

Dr. Bapswent

Any player with ambition will recognise we're a step back to potentially take two forward, plus they'll arguably be more in the shop window than most teams in the Premiership would put them. Or Rangers over the last two seasons.

Good point, as we all know footballers think that hard about things.

There will be 8 big games out of 36. That's it. We will be playing dross like Alloa and Cowdenbeath the rest of the time. That's not a shop window.

Jambof3tornado

It's not a competitive league in that only 2 teams can win it but given that 4/10 have a chance of promotion it makes it interesting indeed.

There will be 8 big games out of 36. That's it. We will be playing dross like Alloa and Cowdenbeath the rest of the time. That's not a shop window.

It is however a bit of a shop front

Ffs, how do you think Hearts got their profile in the first place? Being a top level side.

It's clubs like Hearts who give Scottish football it's historical reputation and status.

Being in the top league brings other benefits but I think many Hearts fans are still too much on a crest of a wave because we came out of admin.

If we languish in the lower division support will eventually dwindle and everything with it.

Rocco_Jambo

One of the most competitive leagues in Europe???

Sorry but where do people get this nonsense from? The league has got an odds on favourite with half the teams priced at over 100/1. It doesn't even look as competitive as the 2nd and 3rd divisions in Scotland or last years 1st division.

oh ah grantona

I stopped reading at most competitive league in Europe what a load of utter tosh

tartofmidlothian

Some cynics on here, like.

We're officially not down on merit. The next season doesn't need to be about anything but optimism. If we don't go up then I'll start pantwetting, personally.

gorgie_rebel

Its not a good thing that we are playing in the Championship next season and no amount of dressing it up can change that.

However we are in a league that unusually has 3 of the top teams in the country in it

There will still be a lot of media interest in the league for that very reason and with sevcos tv deal, money available for the club.

Its not ideal but a whole lot better than it could have been.

The key is to come back up at the first time of asking I think

Ffs it is an embarrassment to the club to be in the second tier irrespective of the circumstances of getting there, just like it is for Rangers and Hibs.

Let's just hope it is only for one season.

Tasavallan

What's in a name. They called it SFL Division 1 and now it's the SPFL Championship but in reality it is just the 2nd Tier of Scottish football.. It's an embarrassment that Hearts have to play, at least, a season their.

Regardless, I am quite looking forward to the new season once the management team gets its act together.

queensferryjambo

On a prestige point of view it is terrible.

For the standard of games and the teams we will be playing it is horrendous.

Lets not kid ourself either there will be weeks were we will get beaten and humiliated in that league.

I am looking forward to it and looking forward to Hearts going forward in the Budge era - but am not kidding myself on that it is going to be great.

colinmaroon

It's an embarassment that we were relegated because we were in administration - i.e. administration is the embarrasment.

I'm not even slightly emabarrassed that we're playing in the "Championship" next year.

I will be if we don't come up!

Only the five

Dont think wel find it hard to attract players being the club we are , the fans we are also . A competitve league that if we get off to a flyer will become all the more enjoyable . A cautious approach to how we attract the players abd getting the right ones. On a side note hopefuly whoever comes in recognises the passion and playing for a badge which i think we have become accustomed to this season . Long as players "get what were about" if u will, theyl be fine

Franco Fascione

It doesn't to me. We're alive and kicking. Better than liquidation. No?

Pants Shaton

Wouldn't surprise me if the business plan is to stay there - it's going to be such a great laugh and that.

I don't think being in the Championship will necessarily put off the type of player we'll be looking for. They will recognise they are signing for a big club, and its not like the Rangers situation where SPL players were prepared to drop 3 leagues to sign for them. CL has a clear and exciting vision for the club and that could convince players to want to be part of it. Unless it all goes pear shaped next season, we should have the 3rd highest attendances in Scotland, with no debt to service. OK, TV revenues and league payments will be down, but we have ?500k parachute payment to partly compensate. Overall, I'm pretty optimistic about next season.

See where you're coming from. As a one-off season it'll definitely be more interesting than others on account of the competition and increased chances of winning. In the top division there is zero chance therefore of course it's more interesting. For those who say we'll be playing against dross every other week - half the time it'll be at a packed Tynie - and what's so great about playing St Mirren and St Johnstone anyway? I've said it before we've come from a crap league with no chance of winning to a crap league with a chance of winning.

Chaka Demus & pliers

Falkirk are internationally recognised?

Guest oldcastlerock2012

St johnston, dundee, thistle, hamilton, caley, county and st mirren are really not that much more attractive games than the 7 non hibs or rangers Championship teams we'll be playing. Add the excitement of challenging at the top of a league and I predict next season will easily beat a mid table top league season for enjoyment.

Buffalo Bill

I'm glad we've survived and I'm looking forward to next season but don't kid yourself. We want to be back in the top league.

:what:

:rofl:

All roads lead to Gorgie

Let's be honest the top league here is hardly recognised outside Scotland never mind the league below that. We may get players too old for the top league and young players from lower down the game wanting to join but players at the height of their careers will want to stay in the premiership. We are a massif club but at the moment we are where we are. Players will be rushing to join us when we get back up and that I hope will come about sooner rather than later.

Wishful thinking, we're in the second tier of Scottish football no matter how you butter it up.

Archived