******** Tram

All Gone Wrong

All Gone Wrong

Pure class when it broke down today,at the traffic lights at the bottom of the Mound heading west,yes the bit of the road that narrows down to one lane.Fecking 2 hours of chaos followed,brilliant,i'm so proud of this monster.Lesley Hinds nowhere to be seen,yes bring out the clowns,Lol

The Real Maroonblood

Pure class when it broke down today,at the traffic lights at the bottom of the Mound heading west,yes the bit of the road that narrows down to one lane.Fecking 2 hours of chaos followed,brilliant,i'm so proud of this monster.Lesley Hinds nowhere to be seen,yes bring out the clowns,Lol

Luvvly jubbly.

skinnybob72

That's what happens when you leave a project to be managed by a bunch of total arseholes. I'm pretty sure that one of the reasons trams were originally done away with was because when one broke down the rest of them following behind have nowhere to go.

Doctor FinnBarr

Edinburgh has trams? Hadn't heard.

Oh aye, cheap transport that the local council and Scottish government got up and running in less than 3 years.

jamboinglasgow

Why would the head of the council be involved in a tram breaking down? Of I get it, because they have caused delays, I mean only our council could have a transport system where one of the vehicles brake down....am I doing this right.

Stoddyhmfc

That's what happens when you leave a project to be managed by a bunch of total arseholes. I'm pretty sure that one of the reasons trams were originally done away with was because when one broke down the rest of them following behind have nowhere to go.

Kickback running the trams now? saying that we would probably do a better job of it!

Oh aye, cheap transport that the local council and Scottish government got up and running in less than 3 years.

and on budget ;)

peter_hmfc

How fast do they go by the way? Whenever I've seen one (in Princess Street) they go about 2mph. I'd be as well walking, could probably stop for a haircut and 3 course dinner and would still get there before the tram.

How fast do they go by the way? Whenever I've seen one (in Princess Street) they go about 2mph. I'd be as well walking, could probably stop for a haircut and 3 course dinner and would still get there before the tram.

I'm sure I read that the bus to the airport is quicker and cheaper than taking the tram.

William H. Bonney

I'm sure I read that the bus to the airport is quicker and cheaper than taking the tram.

35 minutes to the airport I believe. Also, what's the story with red lights. Every tram I see goes right through them.

sick.of.romanov

35 minutes to the airport I believe. Also, what's the story with red lights. Every tram I see goes right through them.

According to the een tonight it will take 42 minutes from York pl to the airport

jamboinglasgow

there is a separate signal for the trams, it is a white line that lights up which tells them whether to go or not, usually next to the green light.

William H. Bonney

there is a separate signal for the trams, it is a white line that lights up which tells them whether to go or not, usually next to the green light.

And here's me thinking they were all breaking the law.

Lavrentiy Beria

I feckin hate the Trams !! i've resorted to giving the drivers the finger , eases my blood pressure .

Toxteth O'Grady

Jenny Dawes is to blame more than Hines.

Trams were ditched in the 1950s because they were a more inflexible and inferior mode of transport to cars and buses. They still are

davemclaren

Trams were ditched in the 1950s because they were a more inflexible and inferior mode of transport to cars and buses. They still are

Not in most major cities in Europe they're not.

The Gasman

These are not trams, it is a light rail system, which is one of the (many) reasons it was so expensive.

The Real Maroonblood

Correct.

davemclaren

These are not trams, it is a light rail system, which is one of the (many) reasons it was so expensive.

The only real diffeernce is you can couple carraiges together and they mainly run on dedicated routes. Seems a bit pedantic as the term light rail and trams are pretty interchangeable.

Funny how they are being reintroduced all over the world and people in other cities are petitioning to have new lines in their neighbourhoods.

If they abolished the trams in 1956 because congestion with cars and buses. What makes some folk think they are a good idea in 2014 ?

It's a bit tinky though. You arrive at an airport and you expect a train at least. A tram is kind of endearing. Worth a billion or two IMO.

jamboinglasgow

It's a bit tinky though. You arrive at an airport and you expect a train at least. A tram is kind of endearing. Worth a billion or two IMO.

And there would have been a train station at the airport which linked you with all directions in Scotland, but the government decided they didn't want it, scraped it, and is building a station two miles from the station that only links to the line north and requires the trams to get from the station to the airport. But in the meantime pushing ahead for the most expensive bridge in the world with the view that the other bridge was on borrowed time for the current level of traffic, only to discover actually the work they have done on it has extended its lifespan by much longer.

I still cant get my head around the scrapping of EARL. You link up the country by rail, build it underneath the airport so it allows future expansion of Edinburgh airport and create the airport into a major transport hub, but its like the new government at the time looked at price and thought thats too expensive short term, and only when it mentioned they should at least do something they went for a half measure that reduces its effectiveness.

Suppose you don't want to be the government in charge of people plummeting into the Firth of Forth. Best just build a new one. Agree that a rail link would have been better, but no point crying over spilt milk.

jamboinglasgow

Suppose you don't want to be the government in charge of people plummeting into the Firth of Forth. Best just build a new one. Agree that a rail link would have been better, but no point crying over spilt milk.

Of course, though I just think how quickly one was written off and the other was pushed through no matter what showed a real fault with transport policy.

davemclaren

Of course, though I just think how quickly one was written off and the other was pushed through no matter what showed a real fault with transport policy.

The trams were local government driven

Were the trams a government project? They might well have been for all I know.

jamboinglasgow

The trams were local government driven

With this one I am talking about EARL rather than the Trams. EARL was a government project

davemclaren

With this one I am talking about EARL rather than the Trams. EARL was a government project

Agreed. I think EARL made more sense than GARL but it was very expensive.

jamboinglasgow

GARL I can understand because as you say it was a very expensive rail route for something which only linked the airport to Central station, Not to the whole country like EARL would have and had the ability to make Edinburgh airport a major air hub in Scotland.

Didn't realise they were up and running. Sounds to me they are as much as a white elephant as Bath's Spa project.

The Internet

:pleasing:

Hope they break down so much that the whole ******* thing is put out of its misery. Biggest shambles I've ever heard of.

The Real Maroonblood

Funny how they are being reintroduced all over the world and people in other cities are petitioning to have new lines in their neighbourhoods.

Do have a list of these cities or are you just making it up to justify this waste of money?

PsychocAndy

GARL I can understand because as you say it was a very expensive rail route for something which only linked the airport to Central station, Not to the whole country like EARL would have and had the ability to make Edinburgh airport a major air hub in Scotland.

Are the 2 posters above just shouting four letter groups at each other or do they mean something?

Gregory House M.D.

See if they were nice retro efforts like San Francisco people would be a bit more pleased with them. They're a ******* eyesore though. It looks like a bullet train being dragged at 10mph around the capital. Atrocious.

Hannibal Lecter

Are the 2 posters above just shouting four letter groups at each other or do they mean something?

Edinburgh Airport Rail Link & Glasgow Airport Rail Link

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk

Won't be for long.

TheMaganator

Won't be for long.

But the airport bus leaves every 8 mins 24 hrs a day, does it not?

Jambothump

First one leaves at 4AM last one at Midnight from Waverley bridge

Chester™

First one leaves at 4AM last one at Midnight from Waverley bridge

From June 1st its going 24/7 and during the day increasing how many journeys there are.

I wouldn't have a clue.

Edinburgh Airport Rail Link and Glasgow Airport Rail Link. They would have connected the airports to the mainline rail network. On paper Edinburgh made more sense - it would have diverted the Glasgow/Stirling and Fife/Perth/Aberdeen mainlines through (and under) the airport improving access to much of the country. There were difficulties though concerning the tunnel and some said it would be politically unacceptible because of the effect it could have had on Glasgow Airport.

The link to Glasgow wasn't as convenient as it would just join the Paisley (Gilmour Street) line into Glasgow Central meaning passengers would have to transfer to Glasgow Queen Street for onward travel to most of Scotland. If Crossrail was built though through trains from around the country could use GARL.

Chester™

There were difficulties though concerning the tunnel and many said it would be politically unacceptible because of the effect it could have had on Glasgow Airport.

FTFY.

Thats really the main reason EARL didnt take off.

Do have a list of these cities or are you just making it up to justify this waste of money?

The Irish example springs to mind - where Luas in Dublin has proved so popular there are plans to extend to Bray and set up trams in Cork, Limerick and Galway.

Tommy Wiseau

The Irish example springs to mind - where Luas in Dublin has proved so popular there are plans to extend to Bray and set up trams in Cork, Limerick and Galway.

Tell us more about all these petitions. Would also like to hear more about which cities have tram "networks" where there is one third of a line and **** all else.

Archived