Choose one act, any era, and see them live

Rab

Who would you pick?

Specifically live. So this is not a "who's the best group ever" thread.

From my generation, at some point or another I saw most of the big electronic acts, and The Prodigy stand out like a sore thumb. Awesome performance.

But looking back, there must have been some amazing bands live before my time.

If I had to pick one, I think it's The Who.

Not necessarily my favourite band ever, although I am am a fan, but any concert footage I've seen looks amazing. Has there ever been a better frontman than Roger Daltry? Despite a shocking do, he just looks the man when he's performing.

japanjambo
May get pelters but Queen at their peak would have been sensational.

I'm with you Bruno! Rock on Freddie!!:mj_zivili:

Lynn:ninja:

Stuart Lyon

Ian Dury and the Blockheads - saw them at the Playhouse, Edinburgh early eighties and they were so good! 3000 people singing the chorus to ********ing Ada added to the already brilliant atmosphere.

Lynn - its Friday can we expect your usual Busby thread later-on?

I would love to have seen a Guns 'N' Roses gig at any point during their career, the videos always look good. Same goes for Pantera.

Im with the OP, i'd love to have seen The Who during the 70s.

I just missed going to U2 at Hampden a few years ago with my folks - they say it was awesome!!

Jamie_the_Jambo

For me it has to be The Clash. Simply one feck of an amazing band live.

RIP Joe Strummer.

Jamie

gorgiegirl

Tough call... was thinking of The Who myself, or Stone Roses at Spike Island....

Can I cheat and see The Band doing The Last Waltz?

* may change my mind later

Would have to be the Zeppelin at pretty much any time during the seventies!

Stuart Lyon

Gorgiegirl The Last Waltz is one of my favourite music DVDs - you obviously have great taste.

For some reason I thought this meant comedy act. I was about to say Billy Connolly in the late 80's :laugh:

Obviously would have loved to have seen Beatles, Clash, Sex Pistols and all that. I think it's a bit obvious to say that though and having never been in touch with the cuture at the time (not alive at the time) I'm not sure I could put it into any relevant context to me.

Missed out on seeing The Libertines live when they were still together so I'd probably say that as they were, from those I know who did see them, phenonmenal live.

To be fair, I've now seen The Cribs three times and they are certainly one of the best live bands on the planet right now. The last gig at the barrowlands was simply awesome. Johnny Marr coming out and them playing 'Panic' and then The Cribs' 'Im a Realist' was just 7 minutes of something so brilliant it cannot be described in mere words.

There's loads I'd love to have seen at certain times. As mentioned The Beatles at the Cavern Club, The Who with Moon playing, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, Queen at MK Bowl or Wembley Stadium, or The Ramones at CBGB's.

hmfc_liam06
Tough call... was thinking of The Who myself, or Stone Roses at Spike Island....

Can I cheat and see The Band doing The Last Waltz?

* may change my mind later

Possibly their worst gig!!

Its a battle between The Beatles at the Cav or The Beatles at the Shea Stadium (1st time)!!

Good shouts so far for the Who and, of course, The Last Waltz.

I'd love to have seen Little Feat before Lowell pegged it.

flecktimus

Free early 70s.

My big broth seen them 3 times and said they where fantastic.

Best band he has ever seen live.

Im with the OP, i'd love to have seen The Who during the 70s.

I just missed going to U2 at Hampden a few years ago with my folks - they say it was awesome!![/QUOTE]

I was there. It was.

Third time i'd seen them after Earls Court and Murrayfield and i'd still choose them over any other band. Live they are peerless.

Bon Jovi are also brilliant live. Going to see them again this summer. :)

Billy the Jambo

Mine would have to be Pink Floyd before they all fell out with each other.

japanjambo
Ian Dury and the Blockheads - saw them at the Playhouse, Edinburgh early eighties and they were so good! 3000 people singing the chorus to ********ing Ada added to the already brilliant atmosphere.

Lynn - its Friday can we expect your usual Busby thread later-on?

LOL! I'm so predictable! :ninja:

blondejamtart

Sex Pistols - one of the few punk bands I never got to see live in their heyday - or if not them, then Guns n Roses or Green Day

Good shouts so far for the Who and, of course, The Last Waltz.

I'd love to have seen Little Feat before Lowell pegged it.

You're going to hate this, but I saw The Feat with Lowell, supporting The Who with Keith at darkheid in '76. SAHB were also on and I would have loved to have been at the SAHB Apollo shows at Xmas '75.

The Sex Pistols gig in Texas when Sid V shouted 'all cowboys are ******s'.

Cue scenes reminiscent of a Rangers away game.

The Beatles at the Cav

Never knew they played in Tollcross lol

either The Jam or Oasis after Morning Glory (saw them two years ago but there was a few pish songs thrown in)

In saying that The Stone Roses as well

Commander Harris

they've both been mentioned already but Queen or Nirvana would do nicely.

Queen at a massive venue - say Wembley and Nirvana at a smallish venue, say something like the Barrowlands.

Stuart Lyon

Lynn not predictable more a creature of habit like the rest of us. Its almost 5pm here and I'll be heading out soon to start the weekend. Have a good one!

davemclaren
You're going to hate this, but I saw The Feat with Lowell, supporting The Who with Keith at darkheid in '76. SAHB were also on and I would have loved to have been at the SAHB Apollo shows at Xmas '75.

So did I - can't remember you being there. :wacko:

Mine would have to be Pink Floyd before they all fell out with each other.

Yep, Pink Floyd during the Dark Side of the Moon tour.

Or Talking Heads on the Stop Making Sense tour.

davemclaren

Probably the Beatles but on top of Abbey Road studios as you might be able to hear them there.

Free are a great shout as well though. I've seen Bad Company but would liked to have heard Koss, on one of his more lucid days. :cool:

I remember reading about that concert. Wasn't there some nutcase wandering around with a sword?

Would love to have seen SAHB too - missed a chance to see them at the Usher Hall in 1973.

And McLaren - you're just making this up now.

Pete Seeger

I'd have loved to have seen The Jam or the Stone Roses live. Just have to make do with tribute bands. Would love to see the Kinks as well.

Pink Floyd at the UFO Club in 1966 would have been good or

The Police at Hatfield polytechnic in '79 was a classic:):)

davemclaren
I remember reading about that concert. Wasn't there some nutcase wandering around with a sword?

Would love to have seen SAHB too - missed a chance to see them at the Usher Hall in 1973.

And McLaren - you're just making this up now.

Did I mention that I also want to see Queen as a support act to Moot the Hoople at the Caley? Blew Mott off the stage. :)

Archived