Kuala Lumpur

Carl Weathers

Carl Weathers

Has anyone been? Any tips?

Hoping to go for a month later in the summer. Flights are looking expensive - ?850 is the best I've seen.

Does anyone know good sites for long haul flightS?

drewbusbomb

It's hot, humid and sweaty .......cheaper in Bangkok.......more classy in Singapore :) The choice is yours.

Carl Weathers
It's hot, humid and sweaty .......cheaper in Bangkok.......more classy in Singapore :) The choice is yours.

My mate is from there and I'm staying with his dad...

Is it a nice place? Decent things to do?

I heard it was pretty cheap for food and booze.

Carl Weathers
I had a wee look on this site for you and it was quoting ?560 for flights in August.

http://www.airline-network.co.uk/

Thanks for doing that!

I just tried and it's coming back at over a grand from Edinburgh -

Dunno what I'm doing wrong.

Been there before for a couple of days on the way to Australia.

Basically the humidity will kill you. We wanted to walk to the KL tower 5 mins away from our hotel and took a couple of steps out the door and turned straight back.

Best advice is get taxis everywhere as they are dirt cheap.

As we were only there a couple of days we only really went to two places.. the Petronas tower (twin towers) and the KL tower. The KL tower was very good and is a good place to start, gives you info on places to go (from what I remember) and the history of Malaysia.

The twin towers was mainly a shopping centre but had tons of good places to eat, I'd recommend visiting here as well but definitely your first stop should be the KL tower.

Forgot to add, the food is very very cheap. First night we arrived we were absolutely shattered and there was a huge storm outside so we just ordered room service in our hotel which turned out to be cheaper than a meal in the average restaurant here would cost.

coppercrutch

KL is ok but after a few days head out. Go to Taman Negara natinal park. You get a boat down the river. Great place. Loads of wildlife you can even spot a tiger if you are lucky...

Best place I went in Malaysia are the pehrentian islands. Amazing place. Muslim islands but they are pretty open about booze and all that. Stunning beaches. Some of the best snorkeling/scuba diving in the World. You can get a wee lovely hut for feck all. Great food and drinks too.

Pehrentain you will love them You must go !!

PS. Not sure about the time of year for weather etc... Give it a google and find out.

Have fun. :)

Carl Weathers
KL is ok but after a few days head out. Go to Taman Negara natinal park. You get a boat down the river. Great place. Loads of wildlife you can even spot a tiger if you are lucky...

Best place I went in Malaysia are the pehrentian islands. Amazing place. Muslim islands but they are pretty open about booze and all that. Stunning beaches. Some of the best snorkeling/scuba diving in the World. You can get a wee lovely hut for feck all. Great food and drinks too.

Pehrentain you will love them You must go !!

PS. Not sure about the time of year for weather etc... Give it a google and find out.

Have fun. :)

Thanks, we will be checking out islands. I'm desperate to see sharks!

It will help having a mate who speaks the language and I'm sure he'll fill me in on everything I need to know.

Apparently when you go out clubbing you just buy a big bottle of bevy and pour your own! I guess I'm curious about the food, night life and prices of beer etc.

I also hope it isn't the rainy season in August.

coppercrutch
Thanks, we will be checking out islands. I'm desperate to see sharks!

It will help having a mate who speaks the language and I'm sure he'll fill me in on everything I need to know.

Apparently when you go out clubbing you just buy a big bottle of bevy and pour your own! I guess I'm curious about the food, night life and prices of beer etc.

I also hope it isn't the rainy season in August.

My pal went out snorkling just off the beach. He saw a turtle and 2 sharks within 5 minutes. I think he got lucky but gives you an idea of what you can expect. Not sure about the bevvy I just stuck to beer !! They also have a huge Man Utd shop/bar in the centre of KL. Worth a visit if you are a football fan !!

coppercrutch

Fogot to say you should also visit teh batu caves just outside KL. Amazinf place full of cheeky wee monkeys stealing all your food !! They can be vicious though so beware. Do what the locals do, stand up to the wee *******s and they soon get the hint. Start running away from them and the smart wee gets take the ****. Confidence is key !!

The caves are the place where once a year they have a mental festival where everyone sticks massive spikes and spears through your body. You will have seen it on tv. If it is in August you should go and have a look.

Anyway I suppose your buddy can tell you all this himself !!

Carl Weathers

Much appreciated - I'll show my mates this thread.

What's the nightlife like?

I'm just having a look at Lonely Planet which is also a decent site.

Started off my honeymoon there. June and July are probably the best time to go if you want to avoid heavy rain - and when I say heavy, I mean heavy.

:eek:

coppercrutch
Much appreciated - I'll show my mates this thread.

What's the nightlife like?

I'm just having a look at Lonely Planet which is also a decent site.

Cant remember to be honest !!!

And yes LP is a cracking site. Have you found their thorn tree chat bit ?

So a good search and you can find pretty much most of what you are asking. Some of the people on that are a little 'travelly' for my liking but full of good info !!

Mind it is mostly a muslim country(IIRC ?) so have a think re. bevvy and all that. They are pretty open though as far as I remember so you should have no problems.

Legend Claws

I am spending 4 days there on my way back from Australia in August, should be good.

Chad Sexington

Had a couple of nights there on the way to Oz a couple of years back.

It's a brilliant, vibrant city but humid as hell and very polluted.

I loved it.

Archived