Arthur is new world champ

Carl Weathers

the voice from above
As expected, Guzman moved up.

He was never coming to Edinburgh IMO.

http://www.frankwarren.tv/drill/News/Articles/2008/05/15/text-arthur-crowned-king.html

there was something pretty predictable about this decision.

imo he would've knocked AAs head off but c'est la vie, AA has fought hard to get where he is so congrats to him.

out of interest, who's the WBO's new #1 contender?

Shows how silly Boxing can be when you can be crowned world champ over night without a fight.

Well done to AA all the same.

Narrative Arc

someone on here mentioned that Craig McEwan from Clovenstone was fighing at the weekend. anyone know how he got on?

Carl Weathers

out of interest, who's the WBO's new #1 contender?

Juan Manuel M?rquez. Pretty sure he'll have bigger fish to fry and will move up to lightweight (if he hasn't already)..

I hope for him his first defence isn't against Pacquiao, Marquez, Valero, Soto or Barrios then.

Arthur is good but lacking defensively.

I'm more interested in finding out if we're getting a third fight between Marquez and the Pac-man, or is he moving up to 135 pounds too?

Carl Weathers
I hope for him his first defence isn't against Pacquiao, Marquez, Valero, Soto or Barrios then.

Arthur is good but lacking defensively.

I'm more interested in finding out if we're getting a third fight between Marquez and the Pac-man, or is he moving up to 135 pounds too?

Pac man is moving up, so I'd expect the rest of the them to follow inc. Barrera and Marquez.

Current Super featherweight top ten (from Boxing news)

1. Pacquiao

2. Marquez

3. Guzman

4. Soto

5. Barrios

6. Valero

7. Baloyi

8. Arthur

9. Fana

10. Nanthachai

The top 3 are moving up which I'm not sure benefits Arthur. On one hand he moves up the top ten but on the other he is missing out on potential big pay days.

Pac man is moving up, so I'd expect the rest of the them to follow inc. Barrera and Marquez.

1. Pacquiao

2. Marquez

3. Guzman

4. Soto

5. Barrios

6. Valero

7. Baloyi

8. Arthur

9. Fana

10. Nanthachai

The top 3 are moving up which I'm not sure benefits Arthur. On one hand he moves up the top ten but on the other he is missing out on potential big pay days.

Thanks for that.

Some real quality in that division.

Carl Weathers

Kevin Mitchell is someone who would fancy his chances against Arthur.

I'm just happy we've got a new World Champion!

Chester™

Im glad we have a World Champ again! But I concur that defensively he isnt the greatest but that is slightly countered by having bigger punching power than most at that level. I dont see him staying at the weight for much longer either. He struggled with the weight for Stevie Foster Jr and his hand speed suffered as a result. Alex will have to step soon to get those pay days and to see if he can really cut it with the big boys.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

1. Pacquiao

2. Marquez

3. Guzman

4. Soto

5. Barrios

6. Valero

7. Baloyi

8. Arthur

9. Fana

10. Nanthachai

The Ring magazine Top 10 is more accurate and more highely regarded by boxers. Not much difference though.

C C 152 MANNY PACQUIAO 46-3-2 (35)

1 1 61 JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ 48-4-1 (35)

2 2 87 JOAN GUZMAN 28-0 (17)

3 3 93 EDWIN VALERO 23-0 (23)

4 4 64 HUMBERTO SOTO 43-6-2 (27)

5 5 320 JORGE BARRIOS 47-3-1 (34)

6 6 54 ALEX ARTHUR 26-1 (19)

7 7 41 YODSANAN NANTHACHAI 51-3-1 (40)

8 8 32 CASSIUS BALOYI 35-3-1 (18)

9 9 34 MZONKE FANA 27-4 (10)

10 10 9 ROCKY JUAREZ 27-4 (19)

the voice from above

I'd rate AAs chances as follows

The Ring magazine Top 10 is more accurate and more highely regarded by boxers. Not much difference though.

C C 152 MANNY PACQUIAO 46-3-2 (35) No Hope in Hell

1 1 61 JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ 48-4-1 (35) No Hope in Hell

2 2 87 JOAN GUZMAN 28-0 (17) No Hope in Hell

3 3 93 EDWIN VALERO 23-0 (23) No Hope in Hell

4 4 64 HUMBERTO SOTO 43-6-2 (27) Heavy underdog

5 5 320 JORGE BARRIOS 47-3-1 (34) He'd be an underdog but I think this is a good match for him

6 6 54 ALEX ARTHUR 26-1 (19) Draw

7 7 41 YODSANAN NANTHACHAI 51-3-1 (40) (? no knowledge of him)

8 8 32 CASSIUS BALOYI 35-3-1 (18) Favourite, I don't rate south africans lots of padding on their records

9 9 34 MZONKE FANA 27-4 (10) Favourite, I don't rate south africans lots of padding on their records and Barrera anihilated him

10 10 9 ROCKY JUAREZ 27-4 (19)Tough tough fight.

the voice from above

Also the man to watch out for at super feather is Youriorkis Gamboa, Cuban defector and offensive machine. You can catch his skills on UTube.

C C 152 MANNY PACQUIAO 46-3-2 (35) - No Chance

1 1 61 JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ 48-4-1 (35) - 70-30 against, but winnable

2 2 87 JOAN GUZMAN 28-0 (17) 60-40 against, but Guzman has not carried power up to SF

3 3 93 EDWIN VALERO 23-0 (23) Never happen here or US as Valero has a dodgy medical record

4 4 64 HUMBERTO SOTO 43-6-2 (27) Not a good fight for AA

5 5 320 JORGE BARRIOS 47-3-1 (34) Big name, and beatable

6 6 54 ALEX ARTHUR 26-1 (19)

7 7 41 YODSANAN NANTHACHAI 51-3-1 (40) Don't know

8 8 32 CASSIUS BALOYI 35-3-1 (18) Arthur win

9 9 34 MZONKE FANA 27-4 (10) Arthur win

10 10 9 ROCKY JUAREZ 27-4 (19) Tough fight, but winnable

Thats how I see the top 10. Barring The Pacman, everyone else Arthur could probably hold his own against, but some would be exceptionally tough. I really hope he is put in with Marquez or Barrios as they would be huge fights.

Unfortunately, Frank Warren pretty much owns the WBO, so will twist it to suit himself. I can't help but think Warren has been setting Arthur up as a major scalp for Kevin Mitchell, so I fully expect that to be his first defence. Unfortunately (secretly) for Warren, Arthur would KO Mitchell, which I don't think he wants to see happen.

Mitchell is talented, but my god if you think Arthur has a poor defence, wait til you look at Mitchell. Johannesson had him in all sorts of bother but didn't have the power to end it. Arthur is a couple of leagues higher than Johannesson, and would get Mitchell out of there in the middle rounds, if not earlier...World Class body shots and a giant of a SF.

Yet Arthur looked pretty poor in his last bout, and badly weight drained. I'm thinking it is now too much like hard work to make the SF limit when he's now just naturally bigger than that class. I'd expect (if he can) a couple of defences, then all going well stepping up and taking on Amir Khan at Lightweight.

Once again, tough fight, but Arthur certainly has the tools to beat Khan. I've never seen someones glass jaw so blatently protected like Khans has been. Limond gave him nightmares for a couple of rounds, and Limond was nothing more than a featherfisted SF...who Arthur dominated then KO'd in their meeting.

Phew :wacko:

the voice from above
Thats how I see the top 10. Barring The Pacman, everyone else Arthur could probably hold his own against, but some would be exceptionally tough. I really hope he is put in with Marquez or Barrios as they would be huge fights.

Unfortunately, Frank Warren pretty much owns the WBO, so will twist it to suit himself. I can't help but think Warren has been setting Arthur up as a major scalp for Kevin Mitchell, so I fully expect that to be his first defence. Unfortunately (secretly) for Warren, Arthur would KO Mitchell, which I don't think he wants to see happen.

Mitchell is talented, but my god if you think Arthur has a poor defence, wait til you look at Mitchell. Johannesson had him in all sorts of bother but didn't have the power to end it. Arthur is a couple of leagues higher than Johannesson, and would get Mitchell out of there in the middle rounds, if not earlier...World Class body shots and a giant of a SF.

Yet Arthur looked pretty poor in his last bout, and badly weight drained. I'm thinking it is now too much like hard work to make the SF limit when he's now just naturally bigger than that class. I'd expect (if he can) a couple of defences, then all going well stepping up and taking on Amir Khan at Lightweight.

Once again, tough fight, but Arthur certainly has the tools to beat Khan. I've never seen someones glass jaw so blatently protected like Khans has been. Limond gave him nightmares for a couple of rounds, and Limond was nothing more than a featherfisted SF...who Arthur dominated then KO'd in their meeting.

Phew :wacko:

You give him a better chance against Guzman and Marquez than me. Personally I think Marquez is the best SF in the world (if they fought a third time he'd beat pac man) and I think Guzman has way way too much skill for AA.

As for Valero, he's recently got medical clearance in Texas which I fully expect to work as his doorway to the states and better competition. He would destroy AA but I agree it is a fight that will more than likely never happen...

You give him a better chance against Guzman and Marquez than me. Personally I think Marquez is the best SF in the world (if they fought a third time he'd beat pac man) and I think Guzman has way way too much skill for AA.

As for Valero, he's recently got medical clearance in Texas which I fully expect to work as his doorway to the states and better competition. He would destroy AA but I agree it is a fight that will more than likely never happen...

Guzman is a superb boxer...but I people are losing sight of the fact he done the majority of his good work at lower weight divisions. His wins at SF have been less impressive. He doesn't have drastic KO power at this weight, and his stamina is poor (always has been). Balances out due to his exceptional speed and all round good skills. I don't think it is a certainty he'd have beaten Arthur. Strong favourite yes, but I think he was beatable.

Marquez is fantastic, and I do think he'd beat Arthur, but not a certainty. He's been in a lot of wars now...things are catching up on him a bit. On a perfect day (I mean really perfect) I think the size of Arthur and total tactical discipline could beat Marquez. Still...massively unlikely, but would be a hell of fight just to have made from Arthurs point of view.

Didn't realise that Valero had got clearence in Texas. From the bits i've seen of him, he is a hell of a fighter. But he'll never get sanctioned on these shores, and I doubt Nevada or New York will ever follow the lead of Texas and sanction him. Makes it nigh on impossible for the fight to happen, as if it were to happen in the US, i'd expect it to only ever be on the undercard of a Vegas or New York card.

Archived