Trams

Serge

The Real Maroonblood

The trams will offer a more reliable timetable than a bus.

Considering the bus is about every 10 minutes it's hardly relevant.

Considering the bus is about every 10 minutes it's hardly relevant.

If you're stuck in a traffic jam in Corstorphine it might be.

Form my point of view the tram to the airport is just not appealing. I'd have to get our suitcases and cabin bags 1/2 mile along the road to get a bus into Princes St then onto a tram out to the airport with a cost of about ?12 and about 11/2 hours of time. Compare that to ?20 door to door and 15 minutes in a taxi.

Maroon Sailor

Can't see me using the trams - no good to man nor beast as far as I'm concerned.

The Real Maroonblood

If you're stuck in a traffic jam in Corstorphine it might be.

In my experience it isn't that bad.

Anyway I always give my self ample time if I'm catching a flight.

My Left Nut

In my experience it isn't that bad.

Anyway I always give my self ample time if I'm catching a flight.

The Airlink bus usually flies through Corstorphine. Usually only gets held up at the lights and sometimes when some idiots decides they can't driver properly.

I usually get on it at just after 17:30 and I am at Shandwick Place for just after 17:45. This time of year you can't get a seat on it and sometimes can't get on it. Hopefully the trams won't be that rammed!

frankblack

The trams are no use whatsoever to me or anyone in North Edinburgh. Flew to London a couple of weeks ago, and walked to get the Airport bus at Corstorphine.

It makes sense to keep the Airport buses running because the Trams won't cover the route with major hotels such as the Marriot and Holiday Inn. Especially if the buses are quicker!

Caught on a bus in corstorphine? Bus lane froms the gyle all the way town.

You might get slowed down a tiny bit but not much.

Adam Murray

I feel sorry for the poor punters/family's going on holiday with a flight to catch, sitting on the tram in York Place or first stop in Princes Street being told there has been an accident at the West End/anywhere on the tram route, nowhere for the tram to go, bus can be diverted, grab your luggage please, all aboard the diverted 100 airport bus!

I've been stuck at the airport since 2002 or so. Wanted to get to York place but there was literally no way of doing so. Can't wait for these to come into operation.

12 years stuck at an airport? You must be bored as hell.

I feel sorry for the poor punters/family's going on holiday with a flight to catch, sitting on the tram in York Place or first stop in Princes Street being told there has been an accident at the West End/anywhere on the tram route, nowhere for the tram to go, bus can be diverted, grab your luggage please, all aboard the diverted 100 airport bus!

I doubt families going on their annual summer holiday will use it. You're paying several grand for the holiday anyway, most will get a cab. Business travel ? Taxi's on expenses or on contract. This is primarily for weekend/short break visitors to Edinburgh.

That said, I want the network to expenad to several lines crossing in the city. Get people moving about. And even the most cynical would have to admit they're a rather sleek piece of design.

davemclaren

Yeah, people all over Europe prefer buses to trams due to that.

davemclaren

There's a film in there somewhere...

What is the time scale for expansion then? And what areas are likely to be serviced next?

frankblack

I've been stuck at the airport since 2002 or so. Wanted to get to York place but there was literally no way of doing so. Can't wait for these to come into operation.

free-hidden-object-games12.jpg

Maroon Sailor

The trams are no use whatsoever to me or anyone in North Edinburgh.

They are no use to the majority of people who live in the City full stop.

Adam Murray

Yeah, people all over Europe prefer buses to trams due to that.

People all over Europe have trams that can deviate from their original route.

People all over Europe have trams that can deviate from their original route.

I'm not being obtuse here but - do they? They could go on a different line maybe, but that would rarely be in the same direction as the original. Aren't most tram systems 'hub and spoke'?

Creepy Lurker

Getting pretty sick of eating at Wetherspoon's to be honest. Wish there was a bus route or something. Hope the wife hasn't left me.

Getting pretty sick of eating at Wetherspoon's to be honest. Wish there was a bus route or something. Hope the wife hasn't left me.

Aye. There was a bus route, but since trams are much more popular than busses and people are much more likely to leave their cars for a tram than a bus, the trams won.

If the Scottish Government had a pair there'd be a train station at the airport too, with trains to most places to Scotland and beyond. Unfortunately they had no ambition (or were scared of a Glasgow backlash?)

Mikey1874

The trams will offer a more reliable timetable than a bus.

till one is blocked or breaks down on the line

davemclaren

I'm not being obtuse here but - do they? They could go on a different line maybe, but that would rarely be in the same direction as the original. Aren't most tram systems 'hub and spoke'?

Indeed.

Hungry hippo

Can't see me using the trams - no good to man nor beast as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not worried if John Leslie will use them or not.

3fingersreid

till one is blocked or breaks down on the line

I'd be a bit pissed off if I was on a tram heading for a meeting or job interview only to be told at murrayfield that we've got to stop and go back to shandwick place to tow another tram unless they can also be pushed from behind ?

I can't wait until the day that a tram breaks down over the gyle crossing during rush hour.

davemclaren

I can't wait until the day that a tram breaks down over the gyle crossing during rush hour.

On would imagine the next tram could push it over the crossing. Anyway it's half a mile from the depot so shouldn't be short on support.

I fully understand the cost overruns and the fact it's a somewhat limited network but trams aren't seen as a big problem in terms of stopping the world in the major cities of Europe, or even places like Manchester.

On would imagine the next tram could push it over the crossing. Anyway it's half a mile from the depot so shouldn't be short on support.

I fully understand the cost overruns and the fact it's a somewhat limited network but trams aren't seen as a big problem in terms of stopping the world in the major cities of Europe, or even places like Manchester.

Most other places have more than one line, so you can get a different tram, or possibly go via a diversion.

plastic_bas

Most other places have more than one line, so you can get a different tram, or possibly go via a diversion.

I've noticed one part of the line where the tracks cross over each other at Shandwick place. It looks like it's designed as a passing place should a tram break down in the area e.g. an eastbound tram can switch to the westbound line for a spell. I'm guessing/hoping there are a couple more of these along the way

davemclaren

Not really. Tram lines tend to be quite seperate. Look at manchester for instance.

So let's not bother with a tram because occasionally they break down?

As has been said - most tram systems are 'hub and spoke'. There are other lines but they go in different directions. If there was a diversion available by the time it was set-up and cleared the broken-down tram would have been moved anyway.

Archived