Trams

Serge

Trams will carry their first passengers from 5a.m. Saturday 31st May

Official announcement later this morning.

Guest GhostHunter

If I was looking to get a tram from the airport into the centre of town - how long would it take ?

If I was looking to get a tram from the airport into the centre of town - how long would it take ?

?7.50 return. Don't know if you can get a single.

I'm going to the airport today, would have took the tram.

If you didn't need the return or if there was a few of you, you'd be cheaper getting a taxi.

GlasgoJambo

Time is money.

Guest GhostHunter

35 minutes from the airport to york place.

Perfect - heading to Hanover St, so that's ideal.

Thanks

My Left Nut

I don't understand why you can't validate your Ridacard on the tram. I can just see it now, get to the tram stop when the tram is sitting there, go to validate my Ridacard, the tram pulls away leaving me pissed off!!

Fxxx the SPFL

Th etrams were due to start running in May no coincidence that their start date is now 31st May obviously has been more hitches/snags. Having said that i will use them for my work at Saughton house.

The Real Maroonblood

You can also use your free bus pass.

Guest GhostHunter

You can also use your free bus pass.

Cheers.

Wait a Minute.

:diddums:

Mind and get a ticket before you get on, otherwise it's a tenner fine!

Chester™

Mind and get a ticket before you get on, otherwise it's a tenner fine!

Standard across much of Europe.

Yet totally different to the mode of transport it is replacing! Many folk will assume that it is the same as a bus and that you can pay as you get on!

hughesie27

Yet totally different to the mode of transport it is replacing! Many folk will assume that it is the same as a bus and that you can pay as you get on!

I am sure they will have a transition period.

Tourist will be used to paying before hand and the locals will get used to it in now time.

Adam Murray

35 minutes from the airport to york place.

Pretty sure 35 minutes is the time it has been taking on these trial runs, a little bit longer when picking up passengers

The Real Maroonblood

35 minutes :rofl:

How long did the bus take?

Probably about 25 minutes.

Think it takes 25 minutes for the airport bus which actually stops right outside the airport

The Real Maroonblood

Driver training is still ongoing on the line, with each driver being tasked with practising towing a tram through the city centre in the event of a breakdown.

I can just picture the driver with a large rope towing the tram along Princes Street.

All Gone Wrong

Tram,what a load of ******* ****,**** **** ****** *****,it might grow on me!!! lol

Ron Swanson

Driver training is still ongoing on the line, with each driver being tasked with practising towing a tram through the city centre in the event of a breakdown.

I can just picture the driver with a large rope towing the tram along Princes Street.

Strongman-1.jpg

THE SCENES!!

tartofmidlothian

I'm going to the airport today, would have took the tram.

I wonder if they'll keep running the airport bus, or is it a private operator that does that?

Nothing would be more sure to drive punters into the trams than making them the only public route to the airport.

Pretty sure 35 minutes is the time it has been taking on these trial runs, a little bit longer when picking up passengers

Wonder if TIE or whatever it's call has 'weighted' the trams for these trial runs to see how they will perform/stress test the track for when they are full of people?

scott_jambo

Trams will start in May they said. So they announce the last day in May. Wideos.

3fingersreid

I wonder if they'll keep running the airport bus, or is it a private operator that does that?

Nothing would be more sure to drive punters into the trams than making them the only public route to the airport.

Airport buses to go and a reduced service on the 22 route can't have competition

Trams will start in May they said. So they announce the last day in May. Wideos.

It's the "a little under 3.5 million" in the Rangers bank account all over again.

Is the airport bus service even overly popular? I can't think of anything i'd want to do less than board public transport after a flight. It's not as if a taxi to the city centre would be cripplingly expensive (what ?20 max?)

Chester™

Is the airport bus service even overly popular? I can't think of anything i'd want to do less than board public transport after a flight. It's not as if a taxi to the city centre would be cripplingly expensive (what ?20 max?)

I always use the Airport Bus to and from. Its always busy when I've been on it, even at Stupid O'Clock. Popular with locals and tourists. In terms of price, ?3.50 (single) for the bus or ?20 for a taxi. I think most would choose the former.

nearly 7 years

My Left Nut

I get the Airport bus from Maybury to Haymarket and it is usually always rammed.

The quickest way out of Edinburgh Park is to use the Airlink Service unless you get the train. Hopefully the tram will get me into town just as quick but I doubt it. Then again I only have to walk over to The Gyle for the tram so there is some hope.

Do The Dance

The 35 bus also goes to the airport. Just takes a bit longer..

Living where I do, the trams will be handy for me. The 22 bus was also handy, mind you, but I'll definitely use the trams regularly.

Most places in Europe allow you Toncalidate the ticket on the bus or tram. Maybe this can e introduced in the future.

They do fine dodgers too, as you say, and rightly so, though I have never been asked to produce my ticket. I think they operate a lot on trust.

Are the 35 and Airlink 100 still going to be running? **** paying ?7.50 when you could get to and from the Airport on a 35 for ?3 for the sake of an extra 15 minutes or so :lol:

Airlink bus: 25 mins airport to city centre. ?3.50 single

Tram: 35mins airport to city centre. ?4.50 single

:cornette:

Ridacards will work on the trams but there is an additional ?1.50 surcharge if you go further out than the Gyle.

King Of The Cat Cafe

I am going to miss the airport bus. Always sit on the top deck so I can look into people's windows as we go past.

Still, Murrayfield is a shorter walk after home games at Tynecastle.

Craigieboy

I'm looking forward to practically never using them.

How long roughly will it take to make back the cost of getting them up and running?

Mikey1874

Airport buses to go and a reduced service on the 22 route can't have competition

heard the 22 swapping with 25 ie changing numbers. think doing this to mess the Hitler spoof video "?750 million for the 22 bus route"

a few bus timetables will change - costing me money losing the x12 to Ratho which is being stopped

still they seem to think it will be a success

Creepy Lurker

I've been stuck at the airport since 2002 or so. Wanted to get to York place but there was literally no way of doing so. Can't wait for these to come into operation.

I'm looking forward to practically never using them.

How long roughly will it take to make back the cost of getting them up and running?

Well the council admit they'll be running at an operating loss for roughly the first 15 years.......add the losses to the ?1.2billion it cost to build the thing......so it'll take roughly 17,000 years to turn an overall profit.

CavySlaveJambo

if I am right in thinking that it is only Edinburgh concession cards that are the only ones allowed on the trams?

The People's Chimp

The bus is great. Super cheap and totally efficient. 24 hour service as well. Or at least it was.

Guest GhostHunter

Airlink bus: 25 mins airport to city centre. ?3.50 single

Tram: 35mins airport to city centre. ?4.50 single

:cornette:

Yikes.

Archived