Bands you saw before they were famous

Seymour M Hersh

Seymour M Hersh

Following on from the thread about Nirvana who has been to see a band nobody had heard of who then went of to fame and fortune.

When living in North Carolina in the early 80's I used to go to a club in Blowing Rock at the weekends. Most of the acts did cover versions (always remember a band called Sidewinder who did led Zep covers. The singer sound more Like Robert Plant than RP did!) but I did see a band from Atlanta who it turned out were REM. Can't actually remember if they were any good on the night or not.

Student mate of mine dragged me along to see blur at the QMU in front of a couple of hundred before they went huge although to be fair smelly students and indie kids knew of them :)

Hugh Phamism

Roadied for Simple Minds at Grangemouth Town Hall in 1979 just around the time that Life in a Day was released. I was helping to roadie for the support band called 'The Heat' who later renamed as the Cocteau Twins.

Arctic Monkeys at a packed out club/bar on Grove Street just before their first single came out. It was a great night out.

Saw Bon Iver supporting Iron and Wine with about 50 people there before the re-release of For Emma, Forever Ago and global stardom / Kanye features.

skinnybob72

Saw Blur at the Venue when they were promoting their first single.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Frightened Rabbit in early 2008.

They were supporting at the Academy and had all their gear shunted into a wee corner of the stage. First time I'd heard them but could tell they had it.

Vampire Weekend, I think they were supporting a guy from work's band. Either that or his band were supporting them. Cab Vol I think it was.

sick.of.romanov

I picked up kings of Leon from the corn exchange a took them to dragonfly in the grassmarket, didn't have a clue who they were must have been about 5 or 6 years ago,

Craig Gordons Gloves

I saw a band called Glass Onion at the Glasgow Art School way back when i was a student in the weeg (not an art student) - they were pretty good and went on to become Travis.

The White Cockade

Bay City Rollers at Gracemount Youth Club Disco

INXS were brilliant at the Playhouse before they were a big name

Enter Shikari in 2004. They were better then.

Funny I was going to say the same. They played Edinburgh regularly back early 2000s I saw them loads.

You Me At Six crashed at my pad. Wasn't a fan but just helping out. To be fair they were all sound as.

Saw Biffy Clyro early 2000s as well. Dunno exact year but I'm a long term fan.

Frank Turner shared a few drinks with me at a free show. Long before his Olympic opening ceremony gig et al

PsychocAndy

Saw The Exploited at Graigmuir Primary School gym hall. That was with Terry Buchan not Wattie. Also was the bouncer at the YMCA for an early Wattie version of The Exploited. I would have been 14/15 at the time.

Hope Wattie is feeling better. I read he was getting a triple heart bypass done.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Templeton Peck

Went to see Kula Shaker at The Venue before they had released anything. They were also supported by The Supernaturals. They were a good wee band

Erm.... Rick Astley in Century2000

:sob:

Remember thinking he had a good voice. Was selling signed 45s of "Never Going To Give You Up" for 50p. Didn't buy one.

A workmate promoted a gig by the Lost Prophets at Calton Studio before they were big, they crashed on his floor and he used to brag about it all the time.

I'd imagine he's a bit quiet about it now.

Knew about Arctic monkeys before they dropped 'i bet that you look good on the dancefloor' and had tickets for their nme tour before everyone caught wind of them and sold it out

Still got that cd as well

PsychocAndy
Erm.... Rick Astley in Century2000

:sob:

Remember thinking he had a good voice. Was selling signed 45s of "Never Going To Give You Up" for 50p. Didn't buy one.

I thought he had a great voice but shite material.

There I said it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Saw The Police in 1981 in Gateshead, also on the bill were The Beat, The Gang of Four and some Irish band I'd never heard of called U2.

grumpyjambo

Bay City Rollers at Blackhall Youth Club

Elton John at The Empire - the theatre was only half full.

Oasis probably the most notable. (Saw them in Dundee. @ Lucifer's mill ... Amongst others....sultans of Ping were pretty good)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw the black eyed peas and muse at the venue early 2000s. Sat in on Snow Patrol recording their first ep when they were Polar Bear. Iron and Wine at Cab vol.

Notbrainwashed

Saw the white stripes at the liquid room when they were just starting to make waves in the press. Top gig. Jack White also stuck around for the indie club afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davemclaren

Bay city rollers at bonnyrigg ex servicemans club. Queen as support act for mott the hoople at the caley cinema. Fish came to watch my band play before he was famous, not sure that one counts though.

Saw The Cure at an Edinburgh Uni lecture theatre in 1979 just before A Forest came out.

Saw Joy Division supporting the Buzzcocks around the same time.

Samuel Camazzola

I picked up kings of Leon from the corn exchange a took them to dragonfly in the grassmarket, didn't have a clue who they were must have been about 5 or 6 years ago,

Must have been pre 2000 as they were pretty big just after that.

I saw Arctic Monkeys in the Attic down at the Cowgate around 2006. Ticket was only about ?6.

Knew about Arctic monkeys before they dropped 'i bet that you look good on the dancefloor' and had tickets for their nme tour before everyone caught wind of them and sold it out

Still got that cd as well

Was at that gig as well. Same day as the Rix demolition derby i'm sure.

Support band for Buba and the Shop Assistants were a 60s styled garage band called Primal Scream. Winkle pickers, frilly shirts and Beatles haircuts all round. About 1985.

The People's Chimp

Arctic Monkeys at a packed out club/bar on Grove Street just before their first single came out. It was a great night out.

Saw them when all of their stuff was floating about the net unreleased. Great night.

tartofmidlothian

I was there, it was indeed.

tartofmidlothian

Must have been pre 2000 as they were pretty big just after that.

I saw Arctic Monkeys in the Attic down at the Cowgate around 2006. Ticket was only about ?6.

The Attic hasn't existed in more than a decade.

Walter Kidd

Saw Stone Roses at the Venue just before their first album came out. Blinding.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Nine Inch Nails opening for Gun 'n Roses at Wembley in 1991, their first tour and not well known at all at the time.

Mumford and Sons at the Queens Hall, I know, I know, but they're actually pretty good live.

He Who Cannot Be Named

There is a band from Edinburgh called the Murderburgers who will be pretty big soon.

netherleejambo

Saw Cherry Vanilla with her backing band of Sting, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland in Clouds Disco (above the Apollo) in 1977- don't think they were called the Police then. Seem to remember Hearts got relegated the next day!

Not me, but family myth has it that my Uncle Sid, who served in the Royal Navy during WWII, was on shore leave in New York after crossing the Atlantic as part of a convoy.

He went to some bar/club and none other than Frank Sinatra was singing.

Apparently Sid was a bit "meh" about the whole thing.

the general

Marcos?

the general

Saw The Cure at an Edinburgh Uni lecture theatre in 1979 just before A Forest came out.

Saw Joy Division supporting the Buzzcocks around the same time.

hard to put a handle on the 'famous' part

went to Tiffanys.the Nite Klub and the Hooch every week so caught loads of bands on the way up the ladder but most already had a buzz about them

Frankie goes to Hollywood at the hooch,Police supporting UB40 at Tiffs,REM at Bite Klub.New Order at Valentinos

the general

Goldfrapp and Ash

Goldfrapp at Liquid Rooms?

I was backstage 'helping' my mate do Alisons hair that night

Saw UB40 supporting The Pretenders - on the very night The Pretenders went to No1 with Brass in Pocket. I remember thinking UB40 were the better band , by far.

Archived