25 Years ago - Tue 14 Mar 1989 Bayern Munich 2 Hearts 0

Hearts Heritage

Maroon Sailor

That Hearts team never had much luck mid to late 80's.

So near yet again. Really should've knocked Bayern out. They were there for the taking.

Guest GhostHunter

If JC had scored that goal - we'd have gone through.

I still wake up in a cold sweat thinking about that...

It would've been Napoli ( I think in the next round) and one Maradona (IIRC) who would've graced the hallowed turf ...

Fort Vallance

Colquhoun missed a chance that he would normally bury.

I asked him about that in the team hotel that night and he swears blind the keeper got a touch and saved it ! Great trip just the same.

It was just a wee hop down the road for me at that time. I remember seeing Gerd M?ller interviewed on TV after the game; he was of the opinion that Bayern had been given a very uncomfortable evening indeed.

Adi Dassler

Aumann

Augenthaler

Wohlfarf

Winklehofer

Eder

Can still see them in that beautiful Commodore strip. The lights shining on the stairway in the middle of the Shed. The state of the pitch. Massive crowd. Bedlam when Ferguson scored.

If I could go back to one night in our history it would be that one.

It left such a mark on me as a young laddie.

sure there are some good pics on the london hearts website fro mthat trip with the old school fishermans hats wht hte hearts badge on them - love it.

Glamorgan Jambo

Was living in Brussels at the time and watched the match on German telly. 2 things stood out

1. As soon as Augenthaler's shot left his boot the German commentator came out with a very understated but certain 'Ja' before the ball hit the net

2. When JC missed his sitter I threw my hands in my face and broke my specs

We were very unlucky that night

Watching that you realise what a really good side we were at that time, just so inconsistent when it really mattered

Looking at Kenny Black you can't believe that he was a target for boo boys, he would be a Scottish internationalist if he played today

If JC had scored that goal - we'd have gone through.

I still wake up in a cold sweat thinking about that...

It would've been Napoli ( I think in the next round) and one Maradona (IIRC) who would've graced the hallowed turf ...

Indeed on both counts.

A tenner was steep at the time for the Bayern game but if we'd got through the bold Mercer could have charged ?20 and it would have been rammed to see wee Diago.

Colquhoun missed a chance that he would normally bury.

Didn't it come at the end of a brilliant piece of play including a 50 yard run through the middle?

Indeed on both counts.

A tenner was steep at the time for the Bayern game but if we'd got through the bold Mercer could have charged ?20 and it would have been rammed to see wee Diago.

I remember reading that Mercer was ripping off the fans charging ?10

What would you pay now to see the Jambos play the mighty Bayern in the quarters of a Euro tourney

We might be down at the moment , but for the last 30 years it's been a feckin fantastic journey being a Jambo

As a Jambo living down south it's probably lost on most Jambos up there what this game in Munich did for the profile of the club. For the younger generation , Hearts were the last British club in Europe at that point in time - due to the post Heysel ban on English clubs. The game was shown on TV down here and everyone who watched football saw Hearts as we were the only show in town from a British perspective . Every one I knew who was into football was very impressed by Hearts performance- and the support , which was magnificent. As ever.

What would you pay now to see the Jambos play the mighty Bayern in the quarters of a Euro tourney

We might be down at the moment , but for the last 30 years it's been a feckin fantastic journey being a Jambo

It was ?40 for Liverpool so probably a lot more if we got to the latter stages of a tourney like that.

A distant dream at the minute.....!

Mercer did get it tight from some quarters but there was no way I was missing that game...?10 or not!

Edited by Boab

As a Jambo living down south it's probably lost on most Jambos up there what this game in Munich did for the profile of the club. For the younger generation , Hearts were the last British club in Europe at that point in time - due to the post Heysel ban on English clubs. The game was shown on TV down here and everyone who watched football saw Hearts as we were the only show in town from a British perspective . Every one I knew who was into football was very impressed by Hearts performance- and the support , which was magnificent. As ever.

I vaguely remember that it was shown on telly down south. Also, in between the two legs, "Who are the last British team left in Europe?" was asked on Question of Sport, and John Jeffrey was the only one who knew the answer. That seemed like a big deal to a 12-year-old. Funny the stuff that sticks in your mind.

Was at my mums last week and had a look at my ticket stub for the Bayern match at Tynie. It cost ?7 for the shed. Amazing the increase in price of football since then

jimmy the jambo

Thanks for the memories chaps,my first foreign away trip with the JT as a youthful 17 year old,thankfully it wasn't a one off & I've been to an away game every time season we've been lucky enough to qualify since.

The reality is we have been fortunate to follow hearts during these times & no one can deny us the good old nights under the floodlights at Tynecastle & piss ups abroad.

It might be a wee while before we get back on track again & it wont go unrecognised & taken for granted when we do qualify again.

First European away trip for me that , great times and still think we should have sneaked through. Big slim header second half ( I think) hit the post and I knew our luck had run out on our European adventure.

• 1 year later...

We were robbed that night.

Dare I say it but we "Hibsed it" a wee bit that night. It's an affliction that can spread to other sources without warning other than its host , but is still most commonly found in Edinburgh's East End to this day....

John Findlay

I was aboard HMS Andromeda out in the Persian Gulf on a patrol. I had to listen on the BBC World Service. The commentator was the late great Rob Jones and my chest swelled by about 6 inches everytime he made reference to Hearts as Britain's last remaining representatives in Europe. A week later I received the video from my dad and although we got beat I still wore the video out through watching. Bayern were Jammy that night.

Jesus, seeing the number 27 strikes as being a long time ago, feel old seeing that...just a wee bairn for the first leg and goes down as one helluva memory as a Jnr Jambo back in the day....

Watched that 2nd leg game over and over and over on back from the brink just wishing that one of JC's efforts hit the back of the net....!

FenderJaguar7

1989031401%20Bayern%20Munich%200-2%20A.j

I find it strange how the Germans play the bagpipes.........."Johannis blow your pipe harder, ja."

Edited by FenderJaguar7

scott herbertson

we went to bayern versus the team second in the league (?Stuggart/ werder bremen - cannae mind) the saturday before. Augenthaler had about three 40 yard efforts, mile sover the bar. When he got the ball against us, I knew what was coming....

The beir kellars were amazing.

English clubs banned from Europe so some of the Combat 18 Chelsea guys decided to join us - a bad move on their part....

Edited by scott herbertson

Doctor FinnBarr

we went to bayern versus the team second in the league (?Stuggart/ werder bremen - cannae mind) the saturday before. Augenthaler had about three 40 yard efforts, mile sover the bar. When he got the ball against us, I knew what was coming....

The beir kellars were amazing.

English clubs banned from Europe so some of the Combat 18 Chelsea guys decided to join us - a bad move on their part....

Oddly enough Scott it was Luton fans that took a serious kicking outside the Lowenbrau. Think the Chelsea fans thing was just a rumour 

Aumann

Augenthaler

Wohlfarf

Winklehofer

Eder

Can still see them in that beautiful Commodore strip. The lights shining on the stairway in the middle of the Shed. The state of the pitch. Massive crowd. Bedlam when Ferguson scored.

If I could go back to one night in our history it would be that one.

It left such a mark on me as a young laddie.

Was so drunk that night.

Went to Munich two weeks later and same story.

Fantastic trip.

Colquhoun should have finished that tie.

SpikeDudley

Dare I say it but we "Hibsed it" a wee bit that night. It's an affliction that can spread to other sources without warning other than its host , but is still most commonly found in Edinburgh's East End to this day....

I can live with Hibsing it against Bayern! Ross County on the other hand... :gok:

• 4 years later...

Still irks me to this day that we didn't put Bayern out. 

I genuinely felt after the 0-0 at home to Austria Vienna that we'd get the all important away goal which would be enough to get us through and we did. After the first leg at Tynecastle v. Bayern I felt exactly the same. 

...and, feck me, we really should have. 

On 14/03/2016 at 17:58, John Findlay said:

I was aboard HMS Andromeda out in the Persian Gulf on a patrol. I had to listen on the BBC World Service. The commentator was the late great Rob Jones and my chest swelled by about 6 inches everytime he made reference to Hearts as Britain's last remaining representatives in Europe. A week later I received the video from my dad and although we got beat I still wore the video out through watching. Bayern were Jammy that night.

I was also out the gulf at this time on HMS Liverpool . We were along side in Mombasa and I asked for leave to fly to Munich for the game . The supply officer thought I was mental and turned down my request for leave 😂😂

Long trip by bus, really should have reached the semi final

After an incident in the morning after the match where a few presents were 'obtained' there were 5 fewer going back than went out

I do remember getting a beer at the stadium not realising it was low or non alcoholic simply thinking this is how clubs should treat their fans !!!

Great memories but pretty sure that league campaign was awful,not sure how we raised it for some of these Euro games but we did and it was an amazing journey 👍- could easily have been Maradona and Napoli in the semi at Tynecastle as thats who Munich played next if we'd just taken one of those chances in Germany 

Edited by rory78

maroondevo52

I remember driving through the Meadows at Tollcross, noticed the Bayern team bus and there they were training in the Meadows.

6 minutes ago, maroondevo52 said:

I remember driving through the Meadows at Tollcross, noticed the Bayern team bus and there they were training in the Meadows.

Remember seeing the bus outside the ground it was surreal at the time as had never seen a team bus decaled out with all the team livery plastered on it ,the driver drove over like their drivers do now while they fly to make the experience as normal as possible on the trip to the stadium 

TyphoonJambo

I was in Germany and got stiffed to go into the middle of nowhere to recover a Harrier. German base was a conscript or training camp so no bars and no one allowed of base after 7. Balls to that, me and 2 English mates climbed the fence, hiked a couple of miles to a country pub. Full of Bayern fans. They were brilliant with us. Climbing back in over the fence got messy, attack dogs and guns were involved. 

Well in the brown stuff in the morning 😁😁

John Findlay
1 hour ago, chefjambo said:

I was also out the gulf at this time on HMS Liverpool . We were along side in Mombasa and I asked for leave to fly to Munich for the game . The supply officer thought I was mental and turned down my request for leave 😂😂

No sense of perspective, SO's🤣🤣