25 Years ago - Tue 14 Mar 1989 Bayern Munich 2 Hearts 0

Hearts Heritage

Can anyone recall if we missed clear chances in the 1st leg?  My recollection is that we didn't but I wasn't there and could be wrong.

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Caught this clip from a Napoli page on Twitter. What could have been... 

Napoli❤️
maradona❤️

jambos are go!
42 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Can anyone recall if we missed clear chances in the 1st leg?  My recollection is that we didn't but I wasn't there and could be wrong.

Vague recollection that big Dave Macpherson had a good chance to make it two.

Guest ToqueJambo

I can't think of a more agonising near thing in a big game than JC's shot. Maybe Neil Berry hitting the bar in the 86 cup final but even then that game was probably gone.

Still think JC's shot is going in ever time I watch it. To think we were potentially that close to a European semi final against Diego Maradona, Careca and co. With Kenny Black and Neil Berry in midfield, and Jimmy Sandison as our main reserve defender. Just shows how a team can become much more than the sum of its parts.

Other notable facts about that UEFA Cup. Dynamo Dresden had a striker called Minge.

Edited by ToqueJambo

maroonsgotop
4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

brilliant. what a player

Samuel Camazzola
7 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

brilliant. what a player

I reckon he'd have been chasing JC to swap shirts when he caught sight of him play. 

maroonsgotop
15 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I reckon he'd have been chasing JC to swap shirts when he caught sight of him play. 

😄 not sure he would have caught him though 😄

6 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I can't think of a more agonising near thing in a big game than JC's shot. Maybe Neil Berry hitting the bar in the 86 cup final but even then that game was probably gone.

Still think JC's shot is going in ever time I watch it. To think we were potentially that close to a European semi final against Diego Maradona, Careca and co. With Kenny Black and Neil Berry in midfield, and Jimmy Sandison as our main reserve defender. Just shows how a team can become much more than the sum of its parts.

Other notable facts about that UEFA Cup. Dynamo Dresden had a striker called Minge.

Weird how things come back to you . Few seasons ago I went to Chemnitz for a game v dynamo dresden.met up with a Chemnitz fan who got me a ticket and whilst being shown the sights (very few apart from the world's biggest statue of Karl Marx!)Ralf minge walked past.east German international back in the day apparently.

The Goalscoring Knee
13 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Not long after the goal Dave McPherson strode through the middle, (think) played a one-two but had hit shot saved. IIRC, you can see him saying 'Should've put my foot through it' on Back From The Brink, as I think he tried to place it.

We'd booked up for the return trip before the first leg. Folk were saying we were daft as we would be gubbed making the 2nd leg pointless and a waste of time. 6 of us drove to Hull and took the ferry to Rotterdam. I can remember, as we drove off the ferry, Radio 1 played a request for all the Hearts fans going to the game and ended it by saying 'There's only one team in Europe'. Great trip,shame about the result.

Schevchenko

I still blame Archie McPherson, when JC went through he shouted 'its a goooooooooaaaaa just past the post'  clearly giving the shot the kiss of death, a bit like when I bet on literally anything!!

On 19/04/2020 at 21:18, maroonsgotop said:

brilliant. what a player

The whole Bayern v Napoli game is on YouTube somewhere. Watched it a while ago and it was basically the maradona show.

On 14/03/2014 at 20:37, Don Draper said:

I vaguely remember that it was shown on telly down south. Also, in between the two legs, "Who are the last British team left in Europe?" was asked on Question of Sport, and John Jeffrey was the only one who knew the answer. That seemed like a big deal to a 12-year-old. Funny the stuff that sticks in your mind.

Certainly not shown in Scotland

Watched a recent film with Maradonna of his whole time at Napoli.. drug fuelled, he was owned by the mafia etc.. shame but a great player 

maroonsgotop
8 hours ago, westbow said:

The whole Bayern v Napoli game is on YouTube somewhere. Watched it a while ago and it was basically the maradona show.

cheers. I'll have a look at that

31 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Who was it?

C.R.A.M.CHARLTON was how he wrote his name . Always wondered if his 4 th name was peter if he would have wrote his name the same way . 

John Findlay
35 minutes ago, chefjambo said:

C.R.A.M.CHARLTON was how he wrote his name . Always wondered if his 4 th name was peter if he would have wrote his name the same way . 

Yup, I've got you.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Yup, I've got you.

You worked with him or just come across the idiot ??😂😂what branch were you?

John Findlay
3 minutes ago, chefjambo said:

You worked with him or just come across the idiot ??😂😂what branch were you?

No never worked with him. I was a RO mate, may have given and taking a signal from him.

On 15/03/2014 at 07:47, Guest GhostHunter said:

26mins in...

:sob:

Every time I watch it - how bloody close it is to going in - but also, JC gets faster every viewing :)

To this day I'm off my seat watching that, willing the wee man to score. Sadly it was a great save. 😢

just caught up with this thread . great memories of the trip to Munich and singing The Hearts Song to the tune of "the lonely goatherd" from Sound of Music( complete with yodelling :clyay: in the Main Plaza?? of Munich , with guys i had never met before ......also "Hearts fans here, Hearts fans there, Hearts fans every ****inwhere" "one team in Europe theres only one team in Europe " and after the game "Shite left in Europe theres only shite left in Europe "

TorinoJambo
On 19 April 2020 at 17:03, Samuel Camazzola said:

There has never been anybody better than the wee Argentino. In my humble opinion. I mind the 2006 pre season game at Preston. We stayed the night. I wore a "Diego Armando" t shirt, in Argentina light blue, up the town. Expected grief from the locals, but nobody batted an eyelid.

• 3 months later...
On 19/04/2020 at 17:03, Samuel Camazzola said:

Imagine that had been at Tynecastle , he would have been on the same turf as JC :scenes: . On topic , Munich was brilliant trip does anyone have any photos ?

millerjames398
5 hours ago, cookieboy said:

Imagine that had been at Tynecastle , he would have been on the same turf as JC :scenes: . On topic , Munich was brilliant trip does anyone have any photos ?

JC wouldn't have let himself down, even in that company👍🏼🇱🇻

Remember being in a bierkeller around lunchtime with other members of Glasgow branch. Locals weren't too happy when someone started sing the Hearts song. Only about 20 of us in there at the time. A couple of hours later and it was jumping, couldn't move for Jambos and it was a big place. Manager was all smiles when we left for the game. Must have made a fortune.

colinmaroon
On 20/04/2020 at 10:12, inspector said:

We'd booked up for the return trip before the first leg. Folk were saying we were daft as we would be gubbed making the 2nd leg pointless and a waste of time. 6 of us drove to Hull and took the ferry to Rotterdam. I can remember, as we drove off the ferry, Radio 1 played a request for all the Hearts fans going to the game and ended it by saying 'There's only one team in Europe'. Great trip,shame about the result.

Bleedin' woodwork!

Raold Jensen in 65 and John that night.

Weakened Offender
On 14/03/2014 at 16:58, jbee647 said:

Watching that you realise what a really good side we were at that time, just so inconsistent when it really mattered

Looking at Kenny Black you can't believe that he was a target for boo boys, he would be a Scottish internationalist if he played today

Kenny was one of my favourite players. Hard wee guy who always gave 100%. I had the pleasure of chatting to him years afterwards and telling him that. Great guy.