U20s today

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

The U20s are away to Aberdeen today with the game being played at Peterhead's Balmoor stadium.

Team:

Hamilton,

Smith, Wilson, Gordon, Ford,

Scott, Holt, Beith

Buchanan, Oliver, King

Subs: Sneddon, Simpson, Daniel, Craigie

They haven't exactly got off to the best of starts, as they are two goals down after seven minutes with Jones and McManus the scorers.

This one could get ugly.

Twitter updates from Aberdeen @ https://twitter.com/AberdeenFC

The U20s also have a second game this week, at home to Dunfermline on Friday at Netwtongrange with a 7pm k.o.

Jambof3tornado

As long as holt, oliver and king get through the game, plus anyone else likely to play in the big wee team on friday.

Footballfirst

As long as holt, oliver and king get through the game, plus anyone else likely to play in the big wee team on friday.

The United game is a week on Friday (21st)

The U20s are away to Aberdeen today with the game being played at Peterhead's Balmoor stadium.

Team:

Hamilton,

Smith, Wilson, Gordon, Ford,

Scott, Holt, Beith

Buchanan, Oliver, King

Subs: Sneddon, Simpson, Daniel, Craigie

They haven't exactly got off to the best of starts, as they are two goals down after seven minutes with Jones and McManus the scorers.

This one could get ugly.

Twitter updates from Aberdeen @ https://twitter.com/AberdeenFC

The U20s also have a second game this week, at home to Dunfermline on Friday at Netwtongrange with a 7pm k.o.

I was very impressed with Aberdeen in the last game at newtongrange when they won 5-0.

Jambof3tornado

The United game is a week on Friday (21st)

which of course I knew! Just testing!

As I retreat shamefully!

I'm not looking into the results from the u20 squad too much this season, decent development for some, a struggle for others all streaming from the current situation around the whole club which is having positive and negative outcomes for different players and different levels. Most other clubs have an advantage over us at u20 level at present with squad strength and quality as the league table shows.

Personally I agree with lots of people in the Scottish game favouring a return to reserve league football for a whole host of development reasons even if it means taking a slight financial hit initially as developing and selling players should be the way forward for every Scottish club at present.

Failing that move, loaning players out to the lower leagues is also an option we should look to explore more as well as increasing the size of our scouting network to find the best young talent throughout central Scotland and beyond. Obviously the current difficulties our club is in at present are restricting these activates for now.

Charlie-Brown

I don't know why people have this mistaken belief that somehow better or increased scouting would lead to an increase in the number of talented prospects brought to the club and eventually the first team. Hearts will know or have seen almost every kid that plays youth football in the Lothians and Eastern Central Scotland that is playing at any serious level, it's wrong to think that there is as somehow players we are missing or not seeing.

The problem is it is almost impossible to predict at any age group precisely which players will make it and succeed right through to first team level, especially when there are just so many factors that can halt every youth players progress at any step of the way, throw in a massive dollop of luck / random events and you get an eventual failure rate of approx 98%.

Predictions in the face of such long odds are almost futile. I am sure the scouts and coaches try their very best at each age group to assess the best candidates and pick their winners but even then the failure rate is still monstrous.

Clubs should actually develop a lot more kids not less, instead of trying to identify and signing the best ten or twenty in any age group they should increase the options and run several teams at every age group, that way there is an increased chance of harnessing the best talents that emerge plus combat the luck / bad luck that can promote or hamper all young players progress.

Cast the net wider.

Archived