Swell Maps - trip to marineville

wibble

Jam yer fandango new bands right up it. The Maps had it all. No-one will better the Maps.

Go Maps!

Jamie_the_Jambo

Jowe Head, Epic Soundtracks. What Joy !!!

Actually Jowe is a friend of mine.

Jamie

Jowe Head, Epic Soundtracks. What Joy !!!

Actually Jowe is a friend of mine.

Jamie

Was gutted to hear about Nikki Sudden dying.

I had the album blasting this morning and it occurred to me that regardless of what musical phase I am into that this album just stands out. The right amount of rock n roll, some brilliant experimentation and enough chaotic fun to give you the feeling that much of it was created in the there and then rather than being rehearsed and written note by note.

The influence the band had on the mid-80's indie scene was undeniable. I remember every interview with The Pastels, Shop Assistants, Talulah Gosh etc. mention The Maps as the number 1 influence. The only band of that era who did something nearly as unique was probably Bogshed, they were superb.

One of the best albums ever made. Punk/pop gold.

Fact. End of.

Had forgotten about them, not heard that album for years - in my quieter moments (ok, after a few Appletinis) I love to sing "Midget Submarines" to myself!

Jamie_the_Jambo

Lets not forget The Television Personalities.

True Legends. Also featuring Jowe Head.

Jamie

Fact. End of.

Have only ever heard 'Read About Seymour' which is fantastic, and didn't know much about them (except Epic Soundtracks was in them). So on this recommendation I'm gonna hunt this album down.

Cheers MJ

Guest Tynie Bubbles

Fact. End of.

100% CAST IRON FACT ;)

Nelly Terraces
100% CAST IRON FACT ;)

I concur with Bubbles. Low Fi gold were the Maps.

Whilst on the subject, picked up a vinyl copy of the Mo-Dettes one and only lp, 'The Story So Far' on ebay the other week. ****g genius. Had a tape of it all those years ago. Loved that band. Like a slightly more poppy Slits. 'Dark Park Creeping', 'Kray Twins' 'White Mice etc. Superb. Proper girl power.

Cheers MJ. Get in touch soon, the Lama got married the other week, can send you some top photies of a superb drunken night:wacko:!

Archived