Graduate Jobs

christhejambo

christhejambo

Will be graduating in July with an MA in French with Economics from Aberdeen, and am looking at various graduate jobs/schemes at the moment. Anyone been through any such schemes or know of anywhere that is recruiting just now?

Would like something that gives me the chance to work abroad eventually, but even if its in the UK in the short term that would be great- having a miserable time trawling through the web filling out a ton of forms, mostly for positions that aren't exactly setting the heather alight, so any help would be appreciated!

Yeah I have been looking for jobs too. I do not recommend a certain car rental company, I got through to final interview but no one called to arrange a date for it, was a good thing I had already decided I would not take it.

they pretty much expect about 55 hours a week from you but with no overtime.

christhejambo
Get the stars ready, MacDonalds is calling:welcome:

Very drole. Is that a personal recommendation then?

chester copperpot

The company I work for offers a cracking Graduate Package, whereby you do 2 years secondments, and they guarantee you a managers post at the end of it with a starting salary of 28K.

Its pretty tough, as I applied for it several years ago, made it to the last 12, and they took on 2 of the initial 2700 applicants they had going for it. I would also have had to work in London for 18 months of the 2 years, so be prepared to work (Dahn Sarf as DDLN put it) for the really big bucks.

The company I work for offers a cracking Graduate Package, whereby you do 2 years secondments, and they guarantee you a managers post at the end of it with a starting salary of 28K.

Its pretty tough, as I applied for it several years ago, made it to the last 12, and they took on 2 of the initial 2700 applicants they had going for it. I would also have had to work in London for 18 months of the 2 years, so be prepared to work (Dahn Sarf as DDLN put it) for the really big bucks.

Well done getting so far Chester, but...

275736S.jpg

lyonjambo how did the presentation go?

Hey, It went pretty well thanks, I got a lot of positive feedback. The company secretary phoned me yesterday and I didn't get the job as they decided to go with someone with experience in company secretarial work, he did say I did tremendously well which was nice. I am bit annoyed because how am I supposed to get experience ;)? However, not too bothered because got lots of other things coming up.

chester copperpot
Well done getting so far Chester, but...

275736S.jpg

Pretty much how it went, though there was a panel of 3 giving it to me tight when it came to the verbal feedback session ;)

Stuart Lyon

lyonjambo Quite right to take the positives from the situation and make sure you use the feedback when applying for other jobs. It is annoying when people say they are looking for some experience in candidates. How the hell are they supposed to get experience if they won't give people a chance?

Anyway good luck with the other irons in the fire.

jamboinglasgow
lyonjambo Quite right to take the positives from the situation and make sure you use the feedback when applying for other jobs. It is annoying when people say they are looking for some experience in candidates. How the hell are they supposed to get experience if they won't give people a chance?

Anyway good luck with the other irons in the fire.

thats what puzzles me as well, they are just shooting themselves in the foot as there will be a situation where there are no experenced people.

Really depends what you're wanting to do (presuming you'll be getting a 2:1 at a minimum.

Your degree is broad enough to qualify you for the vast majority... what do you fancy? And are you prepared to move down sarf?

http://www.top100graduateemployers.com/top100.html

Good suggestion to look through that list. If you are looking to move abroad you wouldn't go far wrong working for a professional services firm such as PwC, KPMG etc. They take on loads of graduates and although the work isn't exactly glamorous all the time the opportunities are always there for secondments abroad.

Hope this helps :)

Services companies are they way to go if you want to travel.

I work for BT Global Services (IT division). Decent wages and 6 month assignments so you can feck off when you see another post you'd like. The first year has just passed so I'm off the graduate scheme and a "proper" employee. Pretty sweet and they like folk that want to move about. Theres jobs in Asia/Pacific region that I have applied for so fingers crossed....

Very drole. Is that a personal recommendation then?

Aye, I've heard their graduate programme is very highly regarded.

Archived