Jonestown

S.N.T.H.

Just watched a documentary on Jonestown, and the Peoples' Temple for the first time in a while. Never ceases to amaze me just how many folk Jim Jones brainwashed into first of all believing, and secondly moving to Guyana.

Such a tragic waste of life and a lesson learned. His bizarre beliefs included believing that everyone was Homosexual in some way!? Bampot.

SNTH, I saw it recently, never really knew anything about it, but was interested in the 'cult' type of mind-set - I find it unbeleiveable that people can give up thier own free will just because some guy or "being" says so - it was pretty shocking - "10 minutes to Kool-Aid", then they give the spiked stuff to the kids first - now, that is depressing.

SNTH, I saw it recently, never really knew anything about it, but was interested in the 'cult' type of mind-set - I find it unbeleiveable that people can give up thier own free will just because some guy or "being" says so - it was pretty shocking - "10 minutes to Kool-Aid", then they give the spiked stuff to the kids first - now, that is depressing.

Yeah, it was really sickening to watch.

When Congressmen Leo Ryan visited on behalf of the US Gov't, Jones' people all seemed too scared to tell the truth, they all lied for him saying they were loving it. Apart from a few, who he then said could leave, before shooting them as they boarded the aeroplane. Absolute coward of a man, and a truly sickening individual who should be held up there with Amin, Pot and Adolf Hitler as one of the most sickening Megalomaniacs the world has ever seen.

How he could kill in such mass, only spearing his sons, is truly vile.

Rattie, they are also a vindictive, scary bunch - still having a problem trying to understand the mind-set of these types.

Heavens Gate is another documentary I saw recently.

It does seem that human beings are our own worst enemy.

Would you say it was a cult? It doesn't appear that Jones mislead any of the members of Jonestown. Imprisoned, yes but I don't know if this would be classed as a cult. I'd describe it more as a group of radical, disilusioned communists.

Ron Burgundy
Would you say it was a cult? It doesn't appear that Jones mislead any of the members of Jonestown. Imprisoned, yes but I don't know if this would be classed as a cult. I'd describe it more as a group of radical, disilusioned communists.

Do you need to be imprisoned before you can be described as in a cult?

Do you need to be imprisoned before you can be described as in a cult?

I think you misunderstood my post.

Although i see what you're saying Toggie, i feel that the fact it's been engineered through the use of religion, or Christianity, makes it a Cult. That's what i understood a cult to be, a group of radical believers.

Cheers for the PM, by the way!

Although i see what you're saying Toggie, i feel that the fact it's been engineered through the use of religion, or Christianity, makes it a Cult. That's what i understood a cult to be, a group of radical believers.

Cheers for the PM, by the way!

Was it through Christianity? I thought it Jones convinced them to become Atheist, Communists?

My understanding of a cult, was a group that knowingly misleads followers.

Was it through Christianity? I thought it Jones convinced them to become Atheist, Communists?

My understanding of a cult, was a group that knowingly misleads followers.

Yeah, you're right enough. However, he seemed to target devout Christian communities more than anything

Yeah, you're right enough. However, he seemed to target devout Christian communities more than anything

FWIW, all cults are wrapped up in some warped quasi-religeous mumbo-jumbo: "I think what God meant to say..." kind of masked thinking to give it that air of respectability.

Now, Heavens Gate - they were just complete nutters.

Archived