MCurry's response on the SFA website

Footballfirst

Wouldn't get too het up about legal arguments. "Consulting the lawyers" is PR talk...

If he has not got any legal arguments he is all talk and no trousers and will lose a fair bit of money in fines soon.

Maybe not Aberdeen for Rangers games though eh ;)

They should be first choice when Rangers play us. Just to keep things interesting.

Thats the key discrepancy here IMO.

McCurry says his view was obstructed and he was unsure, so he was unable to give anything. For the sake of argument, I'll accept that at face value.

Then Brines says his view was obstructed and he was unsure at Parkhead, so surely he too was unable to give anything? Of course not - he gave Celtic a free kick just in case.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/whistleblower.cfm?newsid=3894

You can't have it both ways refs. Well, you can, but it makes you look incredibly stupid.

Just back from weegieville and cant be ersed reading over this thread but I see the above post as the whole reason Scottish Football is fecked.

Well said JR... would love to see the SFA explian it.

How is correct and the other not is impossible. I can understand having your view obstructed thus meaning you dont see anything but for it to alter a decision on, did you see it or not is impossible, surely?!?!?!

It proves that decisions go the old firm way when there is doubt.

I'm getting tired of this - I didn't see it/I couldn't keep up with play/I was poorly positioned routine everytime the OF get a decision because the ref has bottled it.

In Davisgate , the ref had a clear view but allowed himself to be overruled by a linesman.

At Parkhead when we were denied a stonewaller , when the ref 'couldn't keep up with play ' , where was the linesman that night ?

At Hunbrox , We then have a yet another scenario where the ref was 'poorly positioned'. So where was the linesmans flag ?

For the second pitiful failure on McCurry's part : he had a clear view but allowed himself to be overruled by the linesman.

At the Murderwell game at Fir Park when we were denied a stonewall penalty, where was the linesman then ?

Anyone see a pattern here ?

What are the statistics of refs continuing to trot out 'I was poorly positioned'.

It's cmpletely unacceptable and I really hope DUFC don't give up on this.

Unless they produce some evidence, they should be absolutely hammered.

Coco

I do agree to an extent that unless you have evidence you don't have a case.

But I think even you know deep down there were reasons McCurry didn't give these critical decisions. We are not talking one here, but 3 decisions that we all know if this was the other way round, Rangers would have been given a penalty, a goal and a Dundee Utd sending off. I don't necessarily believe McCurry is hopeless, or even an out and out cheat - but Dundee Utd were cheated by the officials. Circumstanial yes, but a down right fact.

All clubs* have to stick together on this and move for change. I'm not sure of all the irules of the SPL voting structure - (it used to a 1 old firm veto halted a motion, although now an 8/4 carries, but only in certain circumstances) but the remaining clubs have to press for the SPL to press the SFA for change

- Support of clubs must be advised by referees.

- Referees report's must be lodged within 1 hour of the end of a game.

- Referees shall be demoted immediately when unexcusable decisions are made

- An independent panel should be set up to review decisions. No member should have any affiliation Scottish clubs / Scotland. (I'm just waiting for someone to compare the disallowed Aberdeen goal at the weekend as a similar simple mistake, with any of McCurry's 3, or Brines at Parkhead*, or Brines giving Rangers/Burke* a penalty against Partick Thistle, or Conroy being unable to differentiate betweena Motherwell player and Balde*.

At this moment in time the chances of the Old Firm being allowed to move England, or a European league or whatever are as distant as they have ever been. It is time to call their bluff again similar to when everyone resigned.

And finally, if clubs were really being serious to sort out what someone I believe called on here as 'institutional favouritism' - Gordon Smith must be forced to resign in disgrace - NOW.

* Small flaw in my arguement - While Calderwood and McGhee (don't think McCall even made any) made initial rumblings surrounding decisions against their teams, they were happy to accept feeble attempts at excuses/apologies. Even to the detriment of their employers. I wonder why?

Coco

I do agree to an extent that unless you have evidence you don't have a case.

But I think even you know deep down there were reasons McCurry didn't give these critical decisions. We are not talking one here, but 3 decisions that we all know if this was the other way round, Rangers would have been given a penalty, a goal and a Dundee Utd sending off. I don't necessarily believe McCurry is hopeless, or even an out and out cheat - but Dundee Utd were cheated by the officials. Circumstanial yes, but a down right fact.

All clubs* have to stick together on this and move for change. I'm not sure of all the irules of the SPL voting structure - (it used to a 1 old firm veto halted a motion, although now an 8/4 carries, but only in certain circumstances) but the remaining clubs have to press for the SPL to press the SFA for change

- Support of clubs must be advised by referees.

- Referees report's must be lodged within 1 hour of the end of a game.

- Referees shall be demoted immediately when unexcusable decisions are made

- An independent panel consisting should be set up to review decisions. No member should have any affiliation Scottish clubs / Scotland. (I'm just waiting for someone to compare the disallowed Aberdeen goal at the weekend as a similar simple mistake, with any of McCurry's 3, or Brines at Parkhead*, or Brines giving Rangers/Burke* a penalty against Partick Thistle, or Conroy being unable to differentiate betweena Motherwell player and Balde*.

At this moment in time the chances of the Old Firm being allowed to move England, or a European league or whatever are as distant as they have ever been. It is time to call their bluff again similar to when everyone resigned.

And finally, if clubs were really being serious to sort out what someone I believe called on here as 'institutional favouritism' - Gordon Smith must be forced to resign in disgrace - NOW.

* Small flaw in my arguement - While Calderwood and McGhee (don't think McCall even made any) made initial rumblings surrounding decisions against their teams, they were happy to accept feeble attempts at excuses/apologies. Even to the detriment of their employers. I wonder why?

I agree that there is a lot of sense in what you say - particularly on changing things through the right channels.

Not sure if this link will come out right :P but lets give it a go

the audio went missing somehow too I'm afraid :sad:

th_new01.jpg

Anyway, its a clip from the 1-1 match at Darkheid under Burley. The LM, just like Saturdays, is vigilant and diligent as ever and actually has to leap out the way to avoid Balde who's still 'in transit' having simply launched himself at Sammy Camazola. Archie guffaws on the commentary "I think that's going to be a free kick".............

Nah, I think it was actually given as a throw in, but the highlights moved on swiftly. That was surely worth a chat / maybe yellow/ perhaps Red on another day..........yet the LM saw **** all untoward and said absolutely diddly squat to the Ref :evilno:

Anyway, moving on before my blood boils on that one. The GFA would argue about honest mistakes and Refs just doing their job ?

Ok then Gogs.............point out, if you will, 2 instances since nineteen canteen where Rangers OR Celtic have actually conceded a Penalty, where the decision was later found to be incorrect. Going by your assessment of the situation that must surely happen at least once or twice a year ?

I'll not hold my breath :cool:

Hasn't it been said before that McVicar's employment policy is to ensure as many west coast based refs as possible are signed up, shunning other parts of Scotland? That would allow for the 90% total to be hit quite nicely.

You've hit the nail on the head - just look at how many Grade 1 Officials are from the Lanarkshire Referees Association - their allocation far and away dominates the Grade 1 Lists. This is why Gordon Smith can come away with the 90% being Old Firm supporters - the SFA ensure that this is the case by their selection procedures. If you know anyone who officiates in at grade 2 or 3 Level ask them - they'll tell you privately that this is the case.

Smoked-Glass

if we got tv replays what excuses could they use?

" Someone was obstructing my view of the tv" :P

Did Cousin get booked?

If not, then the precedent is there for the SFA to take action a la Hartley!!!

Cousin did get booked so no further action can be taken against him.

Neither the SFA nor McCurry explained why he was only booked.

And Zinedine Broadfoot also punched Hunt in the lead up to the goal. That is more like the Hartley situation - missed by the ref but caught on camera. Any guesses as to whether he will cited by the SFA.

hoof.hearted

The Huns moan that the jungle Jims get all the referee decisions.......

The jungle Jims moan that the Huns get all the referee decisions.......

Are they too stupid to realise that they're both right.:evilno:

If they insist on having old firm supporting referee's then the Rangers supporters should only take charge of Celtic matches & vice verca. If they are honest it should not be a problem........ ah but the instatutionally bias press would rip them up & all their windows would be tanned in by knuckle scraping weedgie neds, hence back to square one.:sad:

You've hit the nail on the head - just look at how many Grade 1 Officials are from the Lanarkshire Referees Association - their allocation far and away dominates the Grade 1 Lists. This is why Gordon Smith can come away with the 90% being Old Firm supporters - the SFA ensure that this is the case by their selection procedures. If you know anyone who officiates in at grade 2 or 3 Level ask them - they'll tell you privately that this is the case.

Given that most of the time Rangers and Celtic would win most of the trophies anyway given their greater resources - as they do in practice - what is the point in this devilish plot of inbuilt bias?

Could you further refine your theory to a devilish plot to favour Rangers over Celtic or vice versa by their selection of referees from certain villages in Lanarkshire? Or is the bias only the Old Firm versus the rest?

Charlie-Brown
Given that most of the time Rangers and Celtic would win most of the trophies anyway given their greater resources - as they do in practice - what is the point in this devilish plot of inbuilt bias?

Could you further refine your theory to a devilish plot to favour Rangers over Celtic or vice versa by their selection of referees from certain villages in Lanarkshire? Or is the bias only the Old Firm versus the rest?

Coco - the only times in recent years that Rangers have had a sniff of the title ie 2004-05 & this year we have seen extremely controversial decisions that involved Rangers and were given for their benefit - Davis-gate & now McCurry / Linesman - both times Non-Old Firm clubs Hearts & Dundee Utd have felt so strongly as to question the integrity of referee-ing yet you see no problem? These were honest mistakes and the match officials simply got it wrong?

Coco - the only times in recent years that Rangers have had a sniff of the title ie 2004-05 & this year we have seen extremely controversial decisions that involved Rangers and were given for their benefit - Davis-gate & now McCurry / Linesman - both times Non-Old Firm clubs Hearts & Dundee Utd have felt so strongly as to question the integrity of referee-ing yet you see no problem? These were honest mistakes and the match officials simply got it wrong?

It is not up to me - or the referees themselves to prove that they are honest mistakes - it is up to those making allegations that they are not honest mistakes.

In the latest one, McCurry has admitted to the mistakes. So again I say unless there is any evidence that they were not honest mistakes then Levein should apologise and be fined/banned.

Charlie-Brown
It is not up to me - or the referees themselves to prove that they are honest mistakes - it is up to those making allegations that they are not honest mistakes.

In the latest one, McCurry has admitted to the mistakes. So again I say unless there is any evidence that they were not honest mistakes then Levein should apologise and be fined/banned.

Ever considered a job with the SFA ? :)

gorgie rd eh11

Pretty strange that these honest mistakes always favour rantic don't you think. Levein should be congratulated for saying what everybody knows, and any fine should and probably will be paid for by his club. Every other diddy club should encourage their coaching staff to point out the different ways they are treated by referees and their assistants, and pay their fines if necessary. It's been brushed under the carpet by the obedient sfa, and a**e kissing media for to long.

Any news on when lawell and bain will be appearing before the spl to explain their integrity comments.

Pretty strange that these honest mistakes always favour rantic don't you think. Levein should be congratulated for saying what everybody knows, and any fine should and probably will be paid for by his club. Every other diddy club should encourage their coaching staff to point out the different ways they are treated by referees and their assistants, and pay their fines if necessary. It's been brushed under the carpet by the obedient sfa, and a**e kissing media for to long.

Any news on when lawell and bain will be appearing before the spl to explain their integrity comments.

Who are the referees favouring or showing bias to when they make mistakes in games between non-OF sides?

So incompetence is an honest mistake in your book?

Even if you see it as job well done by McCurry, albeit it a shoddy job, he made some shocking errors of judgement and in a profession that requires good decisions made on the fly he has shown he cannot hack it.

Make a mistake like that in any other job and the boss with rip you, make it here (to the benefit of Rangers) and you are backed to the hilt, if not commended.

If you can't see a bias you must watch a different league to the rest of us. Call it what you want but that many mistakes favouring a single team at such a crucial point in the campaign is nothing less than cheating. Whether a signed statement can be produced, a gunman on the grassy knoll or similar is another thing, but to see it any other way is just naivety on your part.

So incompetence is an honest mistake in your book?

Even if you see it as job well done by McCurry, albeit it a shoddy job, he made some shocking errors of judgement and in a profession that requires good decisions made on the fly he has shown he cannot hack it.

Make a mistake like that in any other job and the boss with rip you, make it here (to the benefit of Rangers) and you are backed to the hilt, if not commended.

If you can't see a bias you must watch a different league to the rest of us.

You have to prove bias or chicanery. Saying that you see a bias is not the same.

In addition, making refereeing decisions is not objective of course. It is a subjective judgment in every case. As I said, where referees make mistakes in games not involving the OF - are they biased or cheating or incompetent?

Chad Sexington
You have to prove bias or chicanery. Saying that you see a bias is not the same.

In addition, making refereeing decisions is not objective of course. It is a subjective judgment in every case. As I said, where referees make mistakes in games not involving the OF - are they biased or cheating or incompetent?

Hat's off to you Coco for sticking to your guns under severe bombardment. ;)

under_fire.jpg

Hence my edit. For other games, could be all 3 or one. An 'error' costing Hearts 3pts when we are pushing for top spot towards the end of the season, giving Rangers / Celtic the title......"oops" says the Whistleblowers page......but what is it? No proof does not always mean no crime, habeas corpus just means "show me the body" and in this case we can see it plain as day on the match footage.

Even taking out the OF from the equation, too many mistakes, errors, whatever, showing that refs need professionalised, sacked, retrained, similar and a video ref introduced. If the SFA don't deal with the situation then they are only condoning it and as the ONLY teams in Scotland that benefit are the OF then it's plain to see the bias goes all the way to the top.

Hat's off to you Coco for sticking to your guns under severe bombardment. ;)

under_fire.jpg

I am not really sure why I have got involved in this argument:)

The end game is going to be clear. McCurry admits mistake, Levein gets severely punished for what look likely to be statements made with no evidence.

Hence my edit. For other games, could be all 3 or one. An 'error' costing Hearts 3pts when we are pushing for top spot towards the end of the season, giving Rangers / Celtic the title......"oops" says the Whistleblowers page......but what is it? No proof does not always mean no crime, habeas corpus just means "show me the body" and in this case we can see it plain as day on the match footage.

Even taking out the OF from the equation, too many mistakes, errors, whatever, showing that refs need professionalised, sacked, retrained, similar and a video ref introduced. If the SFA don't deal with the situation then they are only condoning it and as the ONLY teams in Scotland that benefit are the OF then it's plain to see the bias goes all the way to the top.

You will always get disagreements on refereeing decisions. The referee is the arbiter (for the most part) of decisions on the field of play.

For the legal cases (where Levein will likely be blown out of the water and if McCurry raises a case he will likely win a lot of money from Levein) proof is required.

Geoff Kilpatrick

In my opinion, it comes down to the decision making.

When things happen like Davisgate or the events at Ibronx on Saturday, the decisions are so blindingly wrong that incompetence, in my view, cannot begin to describe them, despite the mealy mouthed excuses put out by the SFA.

Agree that it is tough to necessarily separate biased and cheating though because one is a milder version of the other.

You will always get disagreements on refereeing decisions. The referee is the arbiter (for the most part) of decisions on the field of play.

For the legal cases (where Levein will likely be blown out of the water and if McCurry raises a case he will likely win a lot of money from Levein) proof is required.

You seem to have a great bitterness for Levein, why is that?

You ask for evidence and assume there is none, you expect zero to be found and I assume your timelines are short. Who's to say what slant the lawyers will come at, none of us are legal experts and McCurry has already confirmed his incompetence, could be he's provided what they need to make their case on the basis that his mistakes cost them UEFA and ?125k.

No need for cheating accusations, McCurry has to pay simply because his incompetence cost D.Utd dearly, and it's time to cover that.

ToadKiller Dog

There is enough evidence of poor decision making toward the old firm in big games to merit a fair and open all encompassing investigation into the standards of referees, training recruiting and management within the SFA ,Something needs to be done to clear the air and that in my opinion the only way to do so,but i guess the SFA would run a mile as would the Refs organisation.

You seem to have a great bitterness for Levein, why is that?

You ask for evidence and assume there is none, you expect zero to be found and I assume your timelines are short. Who's to say what slant the lawyers will come at, none of us are legal experts and McCurry has already confirmed his incompetence, could be he's provided what they need to make their case on the basis that his mistakes cost them UEFA and ?125k.

No need for cheating accusations, McCurry has to pay simply because his incompetence cost D.Utd dearly, and it's time to cover that.

I see. Were there any other games this year where refereeing incompetence gave Dundee United any points which under your view would be said to be unwarranted? Perhaps we could get Vladimir or Rodney to make up the real league table.

McCurry has not confirmed incompetence in my view. He confirmed mistakes. Given the subjectivity of refereeing decisions mistakes are not the same as incompetence.

Geoff Kilpatrick
I see. Were there any other games this year where refereeing incompetence gave Dundee United any points which under your view would be said to be unwarranted? Perhaps we could get Vladimir or Rodney to make up the real league table.

McCurry has not confirmed incompetence in my view. He confirmed mistakes. Given the subjectivity of refereeing decisions mistakes are not the same as incompetence.

So what is?

If I make mistakes at work, I'm accountable for them and it can affect my reward. Why is it different for refs? Why are we meant to write off decisions like this as simply being "mistakes"?

There is no accountability and until there is then the suspicion of bias or worse will continue to exist.

And, FWIW, I still think the acts mentioned were acts of cheating.

So what is?

If I make mistakes at work, I'm accountable for them and it can affect my reward. Why is it different for refs? Why are we meant to write off decisions like this as simply being "mistakes"?

There is no accountability and until there is then the suspicion of bias or worse will continue to exist.

And, FWIW, I still think the acts mentioned were acts of cheating.

If you conflate mistakes and incompetence you have an impossible standard to judge referees by - to expect perfection in a subjective situation. No referee in the world has ever met that standard.

As I have said if there is proof of cheating then it is a different matter.

Geoff Kilpatrick
If you conflate mistakes and incompetence you have an impossible standard to judge referees by - to expect perfection in a subjective situation. No referee in the world has ever met that standard.

As I have said if there is proof of cheating then it is a different matter.

I don't think anyone is expecting perfection. However, if we allow referees to be unaccountable for their decision making then we might as well allow a punter from the stands to referee the game. The refs have to climb a ladder and, presumably, reach a standard that means we should have certain expectations of their performance. When mistakes occur that are so far beyond any reasonable expectation of that performance then we have every right to question them and their veracity.

I don't think anyone is expecting perfection. However, if we allow referees to be unaccountable for their decision making then we might as well allow a punter from the stands to referee the game. The refs have to climb a ladder and, presumably, reach a standard that means we should have certain expectations of their performance. When mistakes occur that are so far beyond any reasonable expectation of that performance then we have every right to question them and their veracity.

How many mistakes before you get to the threshold? 3 a game? 5 a game? Does the throw-in given the wrong way before a free kick is given count as a significant enough mistake? Are the only ones which count the ones which get blown up out of all proportion in the press?

To clarify my point - as I'm getting bored myself so I assume lots of others are:dribble:

1) Referees make mistakes in all games as decision making is not objective

2) Mistakes should not be conflated with general incompetence (if referees are incompetent then they should not be refereeing the games)

3) If referees are cheats and crucially if evidence can be produced that they are cheats then they are fair game for being hounded and attacked

4) It is important that our game is fair, and if it is not then improvements should go through the right channels to make sure that it is fair

5) For impugning McCurry, unless Levein has evidence to back up his claims, he should have the book thrown at him and McCurry will likely have the right to take a lot of money from Levein

I am going to try not to post on this subject again, as said I am sure it is boring people.:)

Geoff Kilpatrick
How many mistakes before you get to the threshold? 3 a game? 5 a game? Does the throw-in given the wrong way before a free kick is given count as a significant enough mistake? Are the only ones which count the ones which get blown up out of all proportion in the press?

To clarify my point - as I'm getting bored myself so I assume lots of others are:dribble:

1) Referees make mistakes in all games as decision making is not objective

2) Mistakes should not be conflated with general incompetence (if referees are incompetent then they should not be refereeing the games)

3) If referees are cheats and crucially if evidence can be produced that they are cheats then they are fair game for being hounded and attacked

4) It is important that our game is fair, and if it is not then improvements should go through the right channels to make sure that it is fair

5) For impugning McCurry, unless Levein has evidence to back up his claims, he should have the book thrown at him and McCurry will likely have the right to take a lot of money from Levein

I am going to try not to post on this subject again, as said I am sure it is boring people.:)

Fair dos. I haven't thought through what a threshold should be as quite frankly it isn't my job to do so, but I would guess that the International Board lays down minimum guidelines for refereeing competence. I also accept that there is difficulty to the fact that decisions are subjective BUT when decisions that made are so "left field" that the only defence of them is the weak "I don't believe referees are biased", I think there is too much of a protest.

We end up with situations where idiots like McVicar, who definitely isn't qualified for his role, acting like Comical Ali and defending the indefensible.

And I would love to see Levein vs McCurry in court as a test case. No one thought Bosman would win either.

Mistakes go both way. His don't. Mistakes cost teams points, points lost cost money, money has to be covered and a referee is not exempt from shouldering responsibility.

You say 'innocent mistake', I say corruption. Sure I can't provide you evidence, I'm not Columbo, hopefully an investigation will reveal but if there is none I'd still stand by my opinion that the Scottish game is full of cheating bassas and that they all side with Glasgow.

Refs in England are held accountable for mistakes, fined or demoted, is Scotland that backward that they cannot do similar here?

I am not really sure why I have got involved in this argument:)

The end game is going to be clear. McCurry admits mistake, Levein gets severely punished for what look likely to be statements made with no evidence.

Yup, that is the way it will go and I think that Levein knows that and is willing to take the hit. However he's hoping that this gets the issue right out there and that the fact that we're all debating it might lead to some change. So far, that strategy has worked but it will take a lot more before concrete action, of whatever form, is effected. The good thing is that Levein is now a man with a mission and has the support of his board. About time too.

gorgie rd eh11
Who are the referees favouring or showing bias to when they make mistakes in games between non-OF sides?

If a pattern where one or another team continually gains an advantage (or disadvantage) from these mistakes, then they are not mistakes. The next time rangers or celtic have three such obvious mistakes go against them in such an important game will be the first.

An astonishing claim and outrageous if true. No way are 90% of the Scottish population a fan of the Old Firm. So, for the S.F.A. to have that ammount would mean some extremely biased employment. Which is not a surprise in the slightest.

problem is if we get the refs to divulge their teams... how many huns and tims?? probably none - they'll all pretend to be Clyde or Morton fans etc etc... just like our favourite celtic fan Chick Young... who supports St Midden apparently.

Archived