MCurry's response on the SFA website

Footballfirst

His eyesight isn't very good obviously as he did not see Bazza's basketball skills in the Semi Final

:mad:

John Findlay
http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news.cfm?newsid=3948

His view was partially obstructed

I went with the Assistant Ref

.... And Gordon Smith backs him up to the hilt

Considering the SFA have helped him word his statement on the site. Gordon Smith backing him up comes as no surprise whatsoever.

John

Give him some credit .....................he positioned himself excellently so as to have an unhindered view of Nacho's 2nd goal :P

Footballfirst

It will continue to happen as before.

Steve Bennet also "bottled" sending off Scholes at yesterday's Man Ure game. Both McCurry and Bennet were frightened to to make decisions that might upset the big guns.

M. McCurry.. "I was in the wrong position,view was obstructed,so made the decision in favour of Rangers"

I.Brines.. (disallowed Aberdeen "goal"). "I was in the wrong position,view was obstructed,so I made the decision in favour of Celtic"

Yes..it all balances out in the end,as they say.

david mcgee

Its not my fault, its my two assistants!

What sort of excuse is that?

The referee should be big enough to make the big decisions for himself.

The SFA seem to be saying, none of our referees are bent leave them alone, but as for the linesmen well you decide?

SFA CEO Gordon Smith was today spotted leaving a Glasgow B&Q store armed with a tin of Dulux Pearl Fantastico. Mr Smith would only comment that he had some urgent DIY to attend to.

However, this reporter can also testify that Mr Smith has been seen in a local magicians emporium and left with a purchase of smoke and mirrors.

Guest JamboRobbo
M. McCurry.. "I was in the wrong position,view was obstructed,so made the decision in favour of Rangers"

I.Brines.. (disallowed Aberdeen "goal"). "I was in the wrong position,view was obstructed,so I made the decision in favour of Celtic"

Yes..it all balances out in the end,as they say.

Thats the key discrepancy here IMO.

McCurry says his view was obstructed and he was unsure, so he was unable to give anything. For the sake of argument, I'll accept that at face value.

Then Brines says his view was obstructed and he was unsure at Parkhead, so surely he too was unable to give anything? Of course not - he gave Celtic a free kick just in case.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/whistleblower.cfm?newsid=3894

You can't have it both ways refs. Well, you can, but it makes you look incredibly stupid.

Give him some credit .....................he positioned himself excellently so as to have an unhindered view of Nacho's 2nd goal :P

And was on hand to clap him on the back in celebration.

Nice to see him hanging his assistant out to dry while protecting his own back eh?

JamboGraham

There are 866 words in this "explanation" and shamefully, even after admitting in their own words that two mistakes were made not once does the word "sorry" appear in the statement.

The very least Dundee United deserve is an apology from the referee.

There are 866 words in this "explanation" and shamefully, even after admitting in their own words that two mistakes were made not once does the word "sorry" appear in the statement.

The very least Dundee United deserve is an apology from the referee.

To apologise means admitting that he was wrong, he clearly wasn't as it was just bad luck / split second decision making / blah blah blah that caused the problem, nowt to be sorry about, he's a quality ref.

Meh.

Guest Dipped Flake

To be fair to McCurry on the tv you can see that his view for the penalty was blocked. The linesman had a perfect view though and should have flagged for a penalty.

On the 'goal' McCurry had a perfect view to see that it hit Weir, the linesman had a terrible view as he was side-on and had no way of telling who it hit with any degree of certainty. So you have the referee certain it hit Weir and he had the best view, so of course he goes with the linesman?????

Like Levein said on Saturday, he bottled everything, taking the easy way out both times. And how he didn't send COusing off for his head butt I have no idea; no on second thoughts I know exactly why.:mad:

So lets accept this was a mistake - just one of those unsighted things - if the SFA is concerned about this, and there are often repeated excuses based upon refs being partially unsighted, and these affect the outcomes of matches, presumably the SFA will look to bring in either

1. additional linesmen / referees to ensure that somebody somewhere officiating games has a clear line of sight at each part of the game, or

2. video technology will be brought in

Why on earth would a sporting organisation which accepts that mistakes which influence the course of a game not look at ensuring everything is done to ensure these mistakes do not happen?

McCurry has had a lot of Rangers games this season. A lot of important ones too. His last season as a ref I think

If Carsberg did thank you presents...

Geoff Kilpatrick

In true Private Eye pithy style; "So that's all right then!"

Expect Dundee United to be hammered now for even daring to upset the applecart.

The Old Tolbooth

Rev - I think I've over done it this time Gordhun, how do I get out of this one?

Gordhun - You numpty, when I told you to give our dearly beloved a boost before the uefa cup final, I didn't mean you to make it so obvious!

Rev - I panicked, it looked like those nasty Tangerines were going to get something out of the game as our heroes tired, what do I do now?

Gordhun - Don't worry, I'll contact the Daily Ranger and tell them what to print, all you need to do is back it up with a statement on the Rangers, erm I mean SFA website and it should do the trick.

Rev - What do I say though? I'm used to you writing my reports for me in the past and don't know what to do, mind you the ?100k should come in handy to buy a few things in my retirement.

Gordhun - Shhhhh, you cant mention the bung you idiot!!!! What if those nasty fellas at FIFA get hold of this, we'll never get away with what we have for 133 years, it could all end in tears and my boss David Murray would be most upset!

Rev - Thank the lord I'm retiring, I don't need this stress, I didn't even support Rangers as a boy, but the money talked! So, are you gonna wipe my ass for me for one last time before I retire then oh lord and master?

Gordhun - I suppose I'll have to won't I! Thank god the next bunch of recruits have more savvy than you, that will teach me for looking for recruits from the Church of England in future, I thought you were a good proddie too!

Rev - Look on the bright side sir, at least I'll get a free lodge membership for the rest of my life now, as long as you can send another brother in to ref the remaining fixtures as I think my covers blown.

Gordhun - I've already got Charlie Richmond singled out for standby, and don't worry about any court case action as Mr Findlay is standing by to represent you free of charge and there's a celebration bash at the Red Hand Club in Wishaw afterwards for when the case gets quashed.

Rev - Cool, see you there, GSTQ.

John Findlay
Rev - I think I've over done it this time Gordhun, how do I get out of this one?

Gordhun - You numpty, when I told you to give our dearly beloved a boost before the uefa cup final, I didn't mean you to make it so obvious!

Rev - I panicked, it looked like those nasty Tangerines were going to get something out of the game as our heroes tired, what do I do now?

Gordhun - Don't worry, I'll contact the Daily Ranger and tell them what to print, all you need to do is back it up with a statement on the Rangers, erm I mean SFA website and it should do the trick.

Rev - What do I say though? I'm used to you writing my reports for me in the past and don't know what to do, mind you the ?100k should come in handy to buy a few things in my retirement.

Gordhun - Shhhhh, you cant mention the bung you idiot!!!! What if those nasty fellas at FIFA get hold of this, we'll never get away with what we have for 133 years, it could all end in tears and my boss David Murray would be most upset!

Rev - Thank the lord I'm retiring, I don't need this stress, I didn't even support Rangers as a boy, but the money talked! So, are you gonna wipe my ass for me for one last time before I retire then oh lord and master?

Gordhun - I suppose I'll have to won't I! Thank god the next bunch of recruits have more savvy than you, that will teach me for looking for recruits from the Church of England in future, I thought you were a good proddie too!

Rev - Look on the bright side sir, at least I'll get a free lodge membership for the rest of my life now, as long as you can send another brother in to ref the remaining fixtures as I think my covers blown.

Gordhun - I've already got Charlie Richmond singled out for standby, and don't worry about any court case action as Mr Findlay is standing by to represent you free of charge and there's a celebration bash at the Red Hand Club in Wishaw afterwards for when the case gets quashed.

Rev - Cool, see you there, GSTQ.

Probably more accurate than any of us think.

John

JamboGraham

What makes this so frustrating is that this outcome for Saturday was predicted on this very board and, I am sure, on other sites and conversations by many interested in Scottish football. Devries 4 posted the following last Wednesday.

If we can see it...and predicted (correctly) that this was going to happen then why is it allowed to happen? Rodney was foolish at the AGM. However, the basic theory was correct.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Devries4

SFA offer hope to Rangers plight (NHC well sort of)

With the SPL refusing to help Rangers postpone their game with Dundee Utd on Saturday, the SFA have taken the following decision....

Walter is "obviously delighted".

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news.cfm?newsid=3931

And how he didn't send COusing off for his head butt I have no idea; no on second thoughts I know exactly why.:mad:

if this happened next season would he get done for it under the plans to use video technology to stop cheats etc... ?

"I chose to congratulate Mr Novo on his splendid 2nd goal with the words "Nice Goal Nacho". I thought this was the best course of action as my initial thoughts were to tear round behind the Copland Road goal waving my shirt round my head shouting "Get in there ya bassa!!" but realised that, had I done this, I would've had to yellow card myself for leaving the field of play and removing my outer garments. This would mean I would be on a yellow for the remainder of the game and my team needed me."

?Given this significant doubt in my mind it would have been improper for me to simply conclude that an infringement had occurred on the opposite side of the field of play from me. On this basis, I had no option but to allow play to continue amidst the appeal for a penalty kick.

So same incident, teams the other way round, what's the likelihood of Rangers getting a penalty and Wilkie being sent off? Hmm.

Why did the linesman not give the penalty ? Was the sun in his eyes or was he to busy flirting with the Rangers subs ?

sandyseymour
Its not my fault, its my two assistants!

What sort of excuse is that?

The referee should be big enough to make the big decisions for himself.

The SFA seem to be saying, none of our referees are bent leave them alone, but as for the linesmen well you decide?

We Scots may give the benefit of the doubt that our Refs/linesmen are not corrupt, only incompetent bottle merchants when it comes to making decisions that may adversely affect the OF. However, given recent events, it's no wonder that foreigners (e.g. Vlad and others) believe that our game is corrupt to the core. Why should they give us the benefit of the doubt that we Scots are honest Jocks?? when they see events such as those on Saturday occuring regularly throughout the season. :evilno:

alwaysthereinspirit

That should be in a book of fairy stories. What an absolute disgrace that this drivel is posted on a professional associations football site.

He assumed pretty quickly that Rankgers would clear the ball from defence so headed upfield. How come he couldn't assume that Hunt was tripped by Weir.

Funny how the refs whistleblower pages are hardly ever updated and then twice in two weeks as the political cover up goes into overdrive. Unbelievable.

We Scots may give the benefit of the doubt that our Refs/linesmen are not corrupt, only incompetent bottle merchants when it comes to making decisions that may adversely affect the OF. However, given recent events, it's no wonder that foreigners (e.g. Vlad and others) believe that our game is corrupt to the core. Why should they give us the benefit of the doubt that we Scots are honest Jocks?? when they see events such as those on Saturday occuring regularly throughout the season. :evilno:

That's always the fall back though, 'they ain't corrupt they just bottle it'. But time and time again the decision is handed to the OF cos the ref bottled it. Sorry but that's corruption, may not be brown envelopes and trips to the Bahamas but it's just the same end result is it not? And their payment is that the team they support wins, which is all any football supporter wants.

WeeToonJambo

What a load of bilgewater. The SFA must think we're all idiots if they expect us to believe that pile of twaddle (sorry, Kevin). They have been caught out and are now squirming. This one is right up there with Wendy Alexander's, "I was only kidding about wanting a referendum". I just hope this whole thing doesn't end up being forgotten about. These people need to be brought to account.

In true Private Eye pithy style; "So that's all right then!"

Expect Dundee United to be hammered now for even daring to upset the applecart.

Unless they produce some evidence, they should be absolutely hammered.

alwaysthereinspirit

Did you think Hearts and Miko should have been absolutely hammered after we had even less evidence to work with?

not sure that the law suit need necessarily be a case of alleging cheating, it may be a claim of gross negligence or incompetence contributing to a result that cost Dundee United financially. If this were the case some of the statements made by the referee himself would be credible evidence in the suit. The TV evidence would speak for itself.

In one report I read McCurry says something to the effect he watched the play progress, and he anticipated the Rangers defender clearing the ball so he made for the centre of the field, as a result his view of the ensuing play was obstructed. For an experienced referee to be anticipating and not watching so he can make an important decision, is to a degree a self admission of a serious error, I am sure a competent lawyer could make this into incomoetence or negligence.

maltese jambo

he was not in a position to give the penalty since his view was obstructed...yet he perfectly described the whole incident as well as being able to tell that there was another defender beyond Weir.....

he must have been laughing his head off while he wrote this

It was McCurry's last game at Ibrox as a referee. There was never any doubt Rangers would win the game.

If Italy, Germany, Portugal and countless many other leagues have been corrupt, there is no doubt our league can be too.

I don't see why we don't follow the English F.A. - you tell every one who you support and your not allowed to officiate on their games or games that would influence your decisions. Simple.

gorgie rd eh11

What do you want? A written confession. The big decisions in the big games always go the way of rantic, and there is plenty video evidence of that. I'm not sure united will be hammered, probably swept under the carpet as quickly as possible by the sfa and media lackeys.

colinmaroon
http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news.cfm?newsid=3948

His view was partially obstructed

I went with the Assistant Ref

.... And Gordon Smith backs him up to the hilt

Just it wasn't a Lithuanian ref!

That excuse for a CE would have been starting a crusade to have all Lith refs banned for ever!!!

colinmaroon
if this happened next season would he get done for it under the plans to use video technology to stop cheats etc... ?

Did Cousin get booked?

If not, then the precedent is there for the SFA to take action a la Hartley!!!

Thats the key discrepancy here IMO.

McCurry says his view was obstructed and he was unsure, so he was unable to give anything. For the sake of argument, I'll accept that at face value.

Then Brines says his view was obstructed and he was unsure at Parkhead, so surely he too was unable to give anything? Of course not - he gave Celtic a free kick just in case.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/whistleblower.cfm?newsid=3894

You can't have it both ways refs. Well, you can, but it makes you look incredibly stupid.

Spot on! And this is Levein's main point, whenever there is a contentious decision it tends to go the way of the Old Firm.

For the first incident, maybe McCurry's view was blocked but is this not why we have assistants? Surely he had a better view of the incident and should be aware that he maybe has to make a decision if the referee is "caught out of position". There are no comments about why the assistant failed to see this obvious penalty.

For the second decision McCurry wasn't out of position but the assistant then felt he had a better view of the incident.

Not only do the refs want it both ways but so do the assistants!

I don't see why we don't follow the English F.A. - you tell every one who you support and your not allowed to officiate on their games or games that would influence your decisions. Simple.

There'd be no-one left to referee any games involving the ugly sisters!!

There'd be no-one left to referee any games involving the ugly sisters!!

Dougie McDonald can have them all. If the Old Firm fans got a hold of him afterwards, the world would be a better place.

I know he's a "Man of the Cloth"...Don't know what religion, they're all the same to me, BUT, He a Ferkin disgrace, He cheated, Took the bung, The S*** will hit the Fan if the Huns don't win the League...Lex Gold is going to make SURE it happens and Referees will get a nice Summer Bonus to make SURE it happens!! :mad:

The Old Tolbooth
It was McCurry's last game at Ibrox as a referee. There was never any doubt Rangers would win the game.

If Italy, Germany, Portugal and countless many other leagues have been corrupt, there is no doubt our league can be too.

This was put forward to Gordhun Smith on a radio phone in last year iirc, he rubbished the idea citing that Scotland is too small a country to implement this idea in, saying that we would have no refs at all if we didn't let the ones who grew up supporting the old firm, ref games involving them.

He stated that 90% of Scottish refs grew up supporting one half of the old firm and for this reason this idea could never be used here.

What he was actually saying was, don't be so silly caller, we wouldn't have the bigot brothers winning everything by the length of Princess Street if the refs were not allowed to be in charge of their dearly beloveds! It would be much closer in the league and we can't possibly have the impudence of a club like Hearts robbing the great Glasgow Rangers of a place in the CL again, I will NOT take that chance!

This was put forward to Gordhun Smith on a radio phone in last year iirc, he rubbished the idea citing that Scotland is too small a country to implement this idea in, saying that we would have no refs at all if we didn't let the ones who grew up supporting the old firm, ref games involving them.

He stated that 90% of Scottish refs grew up supporting one half of the old firm and for this reason this idea could never be used here.

What he was actually saying was, don't be so silly caller, we wouldn't have the bigot brothers winning everything by the length of Princess Street if the refs were not allowed to be in charge of their dearly beloveds! It would be much closer in the league and we can't possibly have the impudence of a club like Hearts robbing the great Glasgow Rangers of a place in the CL again, I will NOT take that chance!

An astonishing claim and outrageous if true. No way are 90% of the Scottish population a fan of the Old Firm. So, for the S.F.A. to have that ammount would mean some extremely biased employment. Which is not a surprise in the slightest.

Footballfirst

So 90% of the refs are predisposed to favour the OF in any 50/50 40/60 20/80 or as in the case of Staurday's game 0/100 decisions.

An astonishing claim and outrageous if true. No way are 90% of the Scottish population a fan of the Old Firm. So, for the S.F.A. to have that ammount would mean some extremely biased employment. Which is not a surprise in the slightest.

Hasn't it been said before that McVicar's employment policy is to ensure as many west coast based refs as possible are signed up, shunning other parts of Scotland? That would allow for the 90% total to be hit quite nicely.

Hasn't it been said before that McVicar's employment policy is to ensure as many west coast based refs as possible are signed up, shunning other parts of Scotland? That would allow for the 90% total to be hit quite nicely.

Which is quite frankly, a joke.

All you'd need is a rota of 8 referee's to do games involving the Old Firm. One from Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Inverness and so on. Easily done.

Spellczech
What makes this so frustrating is that this outcome for Saturday was predicted on this very board and, I am sure, on other sites and conversations by many interested in Scottish football. Devries 4 posted the following last Wednesday.

If we can see it...and predicted (correctly) that this was going to happen then why is it allowed to happen? Rodney was foolish at the AGM. However, the basic theory was correct.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Devries4

SFA offer hope to Rangers plight (NHC well sort of)

With the SPL refusing to help Rangers postpone their game with Dundee Utd on Saturday, the SFA have taken the following decision....

Walter is "obviously delighted".

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news.cfm?newsid=3931

That was the post I immediately thought of after I heard about this incident...

not sure that the law suit need necessarily be a case of alleging cheating, it may be a claim of gross negligence or incompetence contributing to a result that cost Dundee United financially. If this were the case some of the statements made by the referee himself would be credible evidence in the suit. The TV evidence would speak for itself.

In one report I read McCurry says something to the effect he watched the play progress, and he anticipated the Rangers defender clearing the ball so he made for the centre of the field, as a result his view of the ensuing play was obstructed. For an experienced referee to be anticipating and not watching so he can make an important decision, is to a degree a self admission of a serious error, I am sure a competent lawyer could make this into incomoetence or negligence.

It might be an interesting test case.

I am not a lawyer, but again I would doubt that a couple of decisions which are the sort of normal decisions which are made hundreds of times in a game going wrong could count as incompetence or negligence.

In any case that is not what Levein has been inferring.

Which is quite frankly, a joke.

All you'd need is a rota of 8 referee's to do games involving the Old Firm. One from Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Inverness and so on. Easily done.

Maybe not Aberdeen for Rangers games though eh ;)

Spellczech
It might be an interesting test case.

I am not a lawyer, but again I would doubt that a couple of decisions which are the sort of normal decisions which are made hundreds of times in a game going wrong could count as incompetence or negligence.

In any case that is not what Levein has been inferring.

Wouldn't get too het up about legal arguments. "Consulting the lawyers" is PR talk...

Archived