Squad Overhaul

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Frail-believes-Hearts-need-to.4072834.jp

HEARTS must revamp their first-team squad this summer in order to restore the club to a challenging position within the SPL, according to interim manager Stephen Frail.

Majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov has stressed a willingness to develop youthful academy products in the near future. However, Frail stressed that recruiting experienced campaigners is essential to augment the burgeoning youngsters at Riccarton. ADVERTISEMENT

The interim manager labelled Saturday's 2-0 home defeat by Kilmarnock as "apathetic" and, following last Monday's loss at Falkirk, hopes the Tynecastle hierarchy will permit some serious surgery to the side over the close season.

Although particularly short on strikers at present, Frail conceded that all areas of the side require improvement.

"I think there's an overhaul of the whole squad needed," he said. "That doesn't mean bringing in bundles of players because we've done that before. Those who do come in must enhance the young lads we have because it's difficult out there for the kids.

"I thought young Jason Thomson acquitted himself quite well on Saturday. Gary Glen was a doubt on the morning of the game and, after 55 minutes, the physio wanted me to take him off. He was cramping up because he has a real problem with his calf, but I had to leave him on to try and get something from the match.

"We need players who can come in and help these lads develop. I think we need to freshen up in pretty much most areas. Hopefully we'll be allowed to do that."

Frail is encouraged by the squad's reaction since he assumed the role of caretaker manager on January 1 this year. "The on-field discipline has improved a lot since then," he continued. "I've got a reaction from them and that's all I wanted.

"From January until the split we were sitting third in terms of form. I'd like to think that's down to something I've done but it's also because of what the players done.

"We're disappointed to lose the last two games because we wanted to win them, but there was an apathy about Saturday's performance. Now we have to get a victory over Gretna tomorrow night."

Meanwhile, Romanov sent a tribute to Robbie Neilson yesterday as the defender enjoyed a memorable testimonial match between the current Hearts team and a select side from the club's 1998 and 2006 Scottish Cup- winning sides.

Romanov said: "Few modern players give the loyalty and commitment to their club that you have with Heart of Midlothian. You have captained Hearts, won a Scottish Cup winner's medal, played for Scotland at international level, scored a UEFA Cup game winning goal."

The Evening News can reveal that Julien Brellier did not appear in Neilson's game because he missed his flight to Edinburgh from Switzerland.

Gary Glen was a doubt on the morning of the game and, after 55 minutes, the physio wanted me to take him off. He was cramping up because he has a real problem with his calf, but I had to leave him on to try and get something from the match.

Well you're an idiot then.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

A squad overhaul with Frail the first one out the door.

Like the sound of that.

Gerd Muller

A decent manager will bring the best out of alot of the players.

However, the players I feel we should sell/release/bin are the following:

Goncalves

Stewart

Makela

McCann

Ivaskevicius

Ksanavicius

Basso

Beslija

Copil

Elliot

A squad containing Banks, Neilson, Berra, Karipidis, Driver, Kingston, Ruben, Jonnson, Chesney, Miko, Nade (fit), Pinilla (fit) and 4 or 5 quality players coming in will romp 3rd with no issues.

No 'overhauling' should be done before an experienced manager (as per the January statement) has been appointed. The incompetents currently overseeing things do not have the ability to make the important decisions.

Guest JamboRobbo
No 'overhauling' should be done before an experienced manager (as per the January statement) has been appointed. The incompetents currently overseeing things do not have the ability to make the important decisions.

Indeed. I've a feeling Vlad sees it differently.

No manager till he's finished his overhaul.

rudi must stay

money talks. If we do bring in these great new players though they will soon become bored and disillusioned with how the club is run

The beauty of the scenario when Burley came in was that we had around 9 first teamers left from the previous cost cutting regime

Unless players can be moved on I doubt new will be added.

I think we will be able to properly revamp the team in around 2 years.

I think the current squad will largely be retained - although off loading attempted - and supplemented by youth much in the same way as this season until there is budgetary room for additions

I do think this bunch would actually perform much better under a stronger manager but there you go. Not going to happen

The beauty of the scenario when Burley came in was that we had around 9 first teamers left from the previous cost cutting regime

Unless players can be moved on I doubt new will be added.

I think we will be able to properly revamp the team in around 2 years.

I think the current squad will largely be retained - although off loading attempted - and supplemented by youth much in the same way as this season until there is budgetary room for additions

I do think this bunch would actually perform much better under a stronger manager but there you go. Not going to happen

The problem is as we have seen with Makela and Beslija, previously Pospisil and in due course the likes of Elliot and Mole they are on monies they simply won't get elsewhere so offloading them is going to prove nigh on impossible without paying them off.

I believe there are players whose careers have completely stalled under the regime of the last two years (Wallace, Goncalves and Cesnauskis being prime examples) and I agree under an experienced manager and with the correct combination of discipline but also helping them enjoy their jobs again we might have several players who contribute far more than they been.

super_vlad

i'm getting seriously worried now that we will not get a manager !

I've still not renewed because i want to wait and see what happenes but its becoming a joke ! We were told the same spin last season and we ended up with frail and the other clown ! if it happenes again then i've had it !

The problem is as we have seen with Makela and Beslija, previously Pospisil and in due course the likes of Elliot and Mole they are on monies they simply won't get elsewhere so offloading them is going to prove nigh on impossible without paying them off.

Of course, the majority of players are being paid more than their value to the team. This causes difficulty in moving them on

I do find it strange that Romanov doesnt appear to see that the best way to maximise the value of a player is to ensure that he is coached and managed to the best level by an experienced manager.

The team doesnt need to be successful - just managed to the best of its capabilities.

It is a strange one

i'm getting seriously worried now that we will not get a manager !

!

The best thing to do is to stop worrying about it I reckon

que sera sera

boabyarsebiscuit

We should only be doing any "overhauling" when the new manager has been appointed.

I do find it strange that Romanov doesnt appear to see that the best way to maximise the value of a player is to ensure that he is coached and managed to the best level by an experienced manager.

It is a strange one

It just doesn't add up at all. Why would you self harm in this way ?

If I could ask him one question just now it would be :

Vlad, how can you justify the way you are running the football side of the club given we have taken just 24pts out of a possible 57 against the other five bottom six sides given our wage bill is more than those five teams put together ??

Well you're an idiot then.

That jumped out at me to Cig.

Astounding.

Risking a young players fitness to try and win a meaningless bottom 6 fixture.

Frail, you're a tw@t.

Clerry Jambo

I believe there are players whose careers have completely stalled under the regime of the last two years (Wallace, Goncalves and Cesnauskis being prime examples) and I agree under an experienced manager and with the correct combination of discipline but also helping them enjoy their jobs again we might have several players who contribute far more than they been.

I totally agree and especially with Wallace. My god he looks to be getting slower, albeit he has bulked up, but the lad is playing well short of his potential and I suppose that can be said of others.

rudi must stay
I totally agree and especially with Wallace. My god he looks to be getting slower, albeit he has bulked up, but the lad is playing well short of his potential and I suppose that can be said of others.

i don't, Wallace hasn't got any better in three years imo. Not even under Burley, hate to be harsh cos he's a young player but this is probably his own fault

i don't, Wallace hasn't got any better in three years imo. Not even under Burley, hate to be harsh cos he's a young player but this is probably his own fault

I think the point we are making is that he hasn't improved but there have been mitigating circumstances. Unlike Elliot who has had chance after chance Wallace has been messed about big time and never given a run in the team in one position. He clearly isn't the sharpest tool in the box so with the lack of any proper coaching, man management etc he looks like he has lost his way big time.

rudi must stay
I think the point we are making is that he hasn't improved but there have been mitigating circumstances. Unlike Elliot who has had chance after chance Wallace has been messed about big time and never given a run in the team in one position. He clearly isn't the sharpest tool in the box so with the lack of any proper coaching, man management etc he looks like he has lost his way big time.

i don't think any of these have contributed. I just think Wallace can't be assed, that would explain why he hasn't hada good performance in 3 years

i don't think any of these have contributed. I just think Wallace can't be assed, that would explain why he hasn't hada good performance in 3 years

Aye of course, it's not Romanov's fault we haven't had a manager since October 05.

Clerry Jambo

Spot on!

rudi must stay
Aye, it's not Romanov's fault we haven't had a manager since October 05.

it's up to Wallace to progress. Look at guys like Jonsson, he's got himself into the Iceland team at 18 years old the set up hasn't stopped him

it's up to Wallace to progress. Look at guys like Jonsson, he's got himself into the Iceland team at 18 years old the set up hasn't stopped him

Jonsson has been played regularly partly becasue we sold/binned 3/4 of a very successful midfield unit (Hartley, Brellier and Skacel) and because he has not been up against someone Romanov is actively trying to sell (Goncalves). Jonsson, in my opinion has stood still in terms of progression in recent months as well and will most certainly not fulfill his potential should the current setup at Hearts be continued with over a further period of time.

rudi must stay
Jonsson has been played regularly partly becasue we sold/binned 3/4 of a very successful midfield unit (Hartley, Brellier and Skacel) and because he has not been up against someone Romanov is actively trying to sell (Goncalves). Jonsson, in my opinion has stood still in terms of progression in recent months as well and will most certainly not fulfill his potential should the current setup at Hearts be continued with over a further period of time.

would have agree a few months ago. He's stepped up his performance though since Frail came in imo

Clerry Jambo

...........getting boring but agree again Magic:rolleyes:

...........getting boring but agree again Magic:rolleyes:

It's really quite simple though isn't it. Despite the dreadful season we have had we have several players who are underachieving massively and some who have forgotten what it is to be part of a well organised, motivated, positive setup with desire, passion and team spirit.

Only when a management team are put in charge with autonomy over running the 1st team sqaud as they see fit will we start to see some of our players come out of their current decline. Of course there are some who are / where never good enough and others whose time is up but again it should be up to the new man (and his team) to weed them out and replace them in the squad.

Clerry Jambo
It's really quite simple though isn't it. Despite the dreadful season we have had we have several players who are underachieving massively and some who have forgotten what it is to be part of a well organised, motivated, positive setup with desire, passion and team spirit.

Only when a management team are put in charge with autonomy over running the 1st team sqaud as they see fit will we start to see some of our players come out of their current decline. Of course there are some who are / where never good enough and others whose time is up but again it should be up to the new man (and his team) to weed them out and replace them in the squad.

Again spot on and obviously far too sensible for Vlad and his puppets:mad:

There are decent players at Tynie who would defo improve with a Manager and settled coaching staff - but "settled" and "Hearts" being used in the same sentence appear a long way off.

rudi must stay

young players should always be motivated. Looked how well Glen since he's come into the team, this is because he wants to play. Apart from Wallace i've got no problems with the youngsters. If a good new manager comes in it will be the more experienced players who will be affected imo

young players should always be motivated. Looked how well Glen since he's come into the team, this is because he wants to play. Apart from Wallace i've got no problems with the youngsters. If a good new manager comes in it will be the more experienced players who will be affected imo

What so you are happy with the contributions of Elliot and Mole ??

Any new manager of any worth will effect every player at the club as he will bring the best out of them regardless of age both on the training pitch and more importantly in competitive matches.

Young players need taught the game, they need to be given a kick up the backside but also sometimes an arm round the shoulder. They need to know that there is a an expectation level and that ill discipline will not be tolerated. The young players at Hearts just now know full well they can get away with anything.

what happened to his quote a few months back saying we DIDN'T need to overhaul the squad and that the current team are good enough to challenge the OF .... He's nae idea. I am losing more and more faith in Frail every time he opens his gob!!

vlad on the tyne

good point but Jonnson needs time. Kneejerk reactions after 20+ plus games is harsh on the kid.

bilston angel
We should only be doing any "overhauling" when the new manager has been appointed.

Totally agree, and its getting close to nitty gritty time because if there's not an appointment soon then the meddling will begin with the squad i.e. players in and out with Vlad calling the shots.

This excludes any incoming manager from an input, just sit back and watch developments, if nothing happens soon then we must draw the ultimate conclusion that wer'e not getting an autonomous new manager as promised.

However he just about has time for my ST renewal if he acts promptly and shows he is serious, otherwise as I say its the mixture as before, not good enough for a club of this standing.

George Foulkes advocates another chance for Vlad, I say no, we have went long past the point of granting him that privilege, unless he acts swiftly its too late for me.

I'm sure he will be shaking in his boots at my threat of non renewal

good point but Jonnson needs time. Kneejerk reactions after 20+ plus games is harsh on the kid.

Oh, don't get me wrong I think he could be excellent with better leaders and the correct midfield balance around him. We badly need a Cameron or a Hartley to do the things he and Palazeulos can't do.

Charlie-Brown

Jonsson has progressed quite a lot physically in recent months - I noticed on saturday he was now one of our tallest & strongest looking players especially compared to the skinny laddie he was at the start of the season - his form is inconsistent (even within games) but that's not unexpected at his age or stage of development - however Jonsson, Stewart & Palazeulos are all very similar players and playing all 3 together is a very flat not very attacking midfield, maybe suitable for a defensive game at Parkhead or Ibrox but not against the rest of the SPL home or away.

Gary Glen's best position is attacking midfield playing behind a main stiker - okay you couldn't expect him to play a 38 game SPL season but he could develop in this position but the key factor is we need a central striker who can a) hold the ball & play in other people B) who can score goals - maybe Pinilla 'could' do that but we need someone else as well. However Gary Glen is too good a footballer just to be a poaching striker and I'd see him being best suited to a Hartley / Cameron type role.

Jonsson has progressed quite a lot physically in recent months - I noticed on saturday he was now one of our tallest & strongest looking players especially compared to the skinny laddie he was at the start of the season - his form is inconsistent (even within games) but that's not unexpected at his age or stage of development - however Jonsson, Stewart & Palazeulos are all very similar players and playing all 3 together is a very flat not very attacking midfield, maybe suitable for a defensive game at Parkhead or Ibrox but not against the rest of the SPL home or away.

Gary Glen's best position is attacking midfield playing behind a main stiker - okay you couldn't expect him to play a 38 game SPL season but he could develop in this position but the key factor is we need a central striker who can a) hold the ball & play in other people B) who can score goals - maybe Pinilla 'could' do that but we need someone else as well. However Gary Glen is too good a footballer just to be a poaching striker and I'd see him being best suited to a Hartley / Cameron type role.

With an emphasis on more youth coming into the team, how important do you consider the role of a "leader" on the pitch?

A Pressley type of player

We desperately need a squad overhaul. Release or move on any of the exotic players we can. Bring in some tried and tested SPL players, the best youngsters we can afford from other clubs etc.

Build the squad around Banks, Neilson, Wallace, Berra, Jonsson, Driver, Miko and Glen - and coach them properly. Wouldn't be too bothered if all of the other players were released.

Charlie-Brown
With an emphasis on more youth coming into the team, how do you consider the role of a "leader" on the pitch?

A Pressley type of player

To be honest J_T there aren't really a whole lot of leader type players in the SPL outwith the Old Firm - Severin at Aberdeen & Wilkie at Dundee Utd & Craigan at Motherwell but I can't really think of too many more - other teams do have some solid pro's though like Grant Murray & Jim Hamilton for example who are quite experienced & can help the younger players in their teams.

GK

Banks

McDonald

RB

Neilson

Thomson

CD

Berra

Karipidis

McGowan

Rapnik

Zaliukas

LB

Wallace

RM

Mikoliunas

CM

Kingston

Palazuelos

Jonsson

Screpis

Aguiar

Ivaskevicius

LM

Driver

McCann

ST

Nade

Glen

Mole

Pinilla

A 23 man squad to do us until January, the new manager can transfer whoever he likes after that. (Obviously I/we have no say in what happens, this is just what I'd like to see.)

Ray Winstone

Frail should get some sort of prize for stating the bloody obvious!

Squad overhaul starting with Frail marking the begining of it!

Totally agree, and its getting close to nitty gritty time because if there's not an appointment soon then the meddling will begin with the squad i.e. players in and out with Vlad calling the shots.

This excludes any incoming manager from an input, just sit back and watch developments, if nothing happens soon then we must draw the ultimate conclusion that wer'e not getting an autonomous new manager as promised.

However he just about has time for my ST renewal if he acts promptly and shows he is serious, otherwise as I say its the mixture as before, not good enough for a club of this standing.

George Foulkes advocates another chance for Vlad, I say no, we have went long past the point of granting him that privilege, unless he acts swiftly its too late for me.

I'm sure he will be shaking in his boots at my threat of non renewal

We don't need a new manager to identify 10-15 players on our books who are sub standard. Indeed if an incoming manager was given a say it might halt progress - he would probably be reluctant to release anyone he had not seen. And IIRC Burley had no say in who was being released when he came in: it had already been done.

GK

Banks

McDonald

RB

Neilson

Thomson

CD

Berra

Karipidis

McGowan

Rapnik

Zaliukas

LB

Wallace

RM

Mikoliunas

CM

Kingston

Palazuelos

Jonsson

Screpis

Aguiar

Ivaskevicius

LM

Driver

McCann

ST

Nade

Glen

Mole

Pinilla

A 23 man squad to do us until January, the new manager can transfer whoever he likes after that. (Obviously I/we have no say in what happens, this is just what I'd like to see.)

Would release the players in bold. Better value available elsewhere.

Although I'd get the replacements in first, I wouldn't want us scrambling in the last day of the window trying to sign 10+ players, it would result in offering unneccesary high value contracts to the player. Or it would mean we had 12 players in our first team, it would be difficult to bring the youth players in as well because they have to play their fixtures.

I'd say you were right about Nade and Karipidis, although I like them both I'd accept if both were to move on.

Thomson, Zaliukas and Ivaskevicius won't be on too high a contracts, they are good backup and would hope they'd stay for at least another season.

Kingston, Palazuelos, McCann and Pinilla are supposedly on high contracts, they are all good players, I'd say Pinilla is the least likely to contribute but possibly will recieve the higher transfer fee, Kingston is the only one that may come close.

Screpis and Aguiar haven't been involved much, I'd like to see them play for a few months before I make a judjement on them (like I actually have a say on their future's:confused:)

bilston angel
We don't need a new manager to identify 10-15 players on our books who are sub standard. Indeed if an incoming manager was given a say it might halt progress - he would probably be reluctant to release anyone he had not seen. And IIRC Burley had no say in who was being released when he came in: it had already been done.

So you're quite happy to let these clown's make the decisions, I know there are obvious players that need moved on, but in all probability he'll not move all of them for reasons only he knows. Also just look on this thread there are many and varied opinions, plenty team managers here.

Please get a professional to do the job!

So you're quite happy to let these clown's make the decisions, I know there are obvious players that need moved on, but in all probability he'll not move all of them for reasons only he knows. Also just look on this thread there are many and varied opinions, plenty team managers here.

Please get a professional to do the job!

I didn't say I was happy or unhappy. I didn't say they were clowns or were not clowns. I merely said that if someone else came in they might need time to assess the worth of certain players and that might delay the clear out.

For goodness sake get a grip and don't be so ridiculous. BTW Frail gets paid therefore he is a professional. If you mean Romanov would be making the decisions, that would not be unusual for an owner to have the final say. I know if I owned a company I would decide (ultimately) who stayed and who left.

bilston angel
I didn't say I was happy or unhappy. I didn't say they were clowns or were not clowns. I merely said that if someone else came in they might need time to assess the worth of certain players and that might delay the clear out.

For goodness sake get a grip and don't be so ridiculous. BTW Frail gets paid therefore he is a professional. If you mean Romanov would be making the decisions, that would not be unusual for an owner to have the final say. I know if I owned a company I would decide (ultimately) who stayed and who left.

For want of a better word we should appointed someone who knows football, also I know he has to be consulted in any transfers he holds the purse strings after all, but what he should not be doing as he has done in the past is control the players squads, not if he is serious about a new manager.

After all his attempts at running this football club have been woeful to say the least.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I'd agree with most of that although I would try and keep Terry as a coach and get rid of Neilson.

l hate the 3 wee scroats like but can you imagine what we would be like with the Rangers management team!

They give everything you say in your post and look at them! A proper football team! lf we had those 3 (or similar) l don't actually think we'd need to buy/sell that many players at all, imo we'd see vast, miracle like improvements!

Spellczech

Jeeeesssuuusss...! only Neilson and Banks are over 24 from the ones you?d leave! and half of them aren?t 20 yet!

Archived