Working in retail on xmas eve

iantjambo

Worst thing IMO is hearing the same 10 Xmas songs over and over again :vrface: .

Ten songs... 8 hours.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Whittaker's Tache

Shut the shop at half four, been to Asda and Tesco and back in the house, dog walked before six.

The only scrum at Tesco was at the reduced counter.

Dont see what all the fuss is about!

Did my shift today wasnt too bad! Lot of evident christmas only shoppers

Nothing too extreme although had one chap curse me because he didnt get any reward points on his card when he bought cigarettes, told me he wouldnt be back

Was as polite as could be when i replied it was a great shame and have a good life.

Boss found it hilarious standing other end of till watching.

Though yes agree that it seemed as though people were shopping ahead of an apocolypse

I had them all gathering at the booze aisle waiting for 10am. I had some burd come up to me at 9.45 and ask if it was okay to buy booze, even though the aisle was shut off. I said not for another 15mins sorry, but feel free to go in for a look.

Her reply...'but it's Tuesday'

I knew it was going to be a bad day :muggy:

Living down South for a few years, I'd forgotten about Licensing laws at home, uncivilised....

About 25 years ago I worked in a tv & video shop in Stockbridge called Patersons & used to love the chaos of Xmas eve.

Panicking men wold come in & buy tvs & videos in their droves. The commission was good.

One year we took over ?30 grand, & at the end of the evening my job was to take the money up to the bank. Over half of it was in cash (this was when credit cards weren't that common) & it was about 3 years salary to me at the time.

That short walk to the bank that night was the longest I ever knew, as I considered the implications of doing a runner with the cash.

I didn't, but I always wondered how different my life would have been had I taken the money & gone nuts with it.

Carl Fredrickson

About 25 years ago I worked in a tv & video shop in Stockbridge called Patersons & used to love the chaos of Xmas eve.

Panicking men wold come in & buy tvs & videos in their droves. The commission was good.

One year we took over ?30 grand, & at the end of the evening my job was to take the money up to the bank. Over half of it was in cash (this was when credit cards weren't that common) & it was about 3 years salary to me at the time.

That short walk to the bank that night was the longest I ever knew, as I considered the implications of doing a runner with the cash.

I didn't, but I always wondered how different my life would have been had I taken the money & gone nuts with it.

A hard test for a youngster. Was Paterson part of the Paterson- Robertson & Stepek adverts of my youth?

A hard test for a youngster. Was Paterson part of the Paterson- Robertson & Stepek adverts of my youth?

No, he was actually dead!

He died years earlier but the name was kept going by a guy called Carl Dyson who later used his own name to continue the business.

Worked today in the bookies till half 5, was really quiet and really no point in us being open at all! Glad to be home and chilling with a couple drinks!

Bookies firms are greedy s*** these days.

In my time there we used to have three blank days at Xmas

I used to love the winter months as we would get to close at 5.00 pm in the dead of winter.

They will soon be opening on Xmas day if they could get away with it.

Was it not Glens, Hutchisons, Robertson & Stepek? That's a ******* blast from the past

Carl Fredrickson

Was it not Glens, Hutchisons, Robertson & Stepek? That's a ******* blast from the past

Aye it was - I think one of them was on Gorgie Road. My whiskys tonight are interfering with my memory (well thats my excuse) :2thumbsup:

Creepy Lurker

Bookies firms are greedy s*** these days.

Yeah, they've really moved away from their philanthropic roots.

I'm a merchandiser for a card company based in Asda. When I was working today it wasn't too bad. Monday it was manic..,.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Best time was when I worked in a shop during really bad snow and the shop floor got flooded by Christmas Eve.

The place stayed open and wifies were hitting the deck like we were in the midst of the Somme.

Halcyon days.

Had a two in the shop this morning,

Bit graphic mate... no need. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Matthew Le Tissier

I work on the checkouts at Asda. My till broke with a full load of shopping :lol:

Id'ed a guy with his bursd she didnt have id. Didnt sell so got a mouthfull. Just sat thier with a smile knowing he wasnt getting the drink. As he left I wished him a very merry xmas. Said guy then tells me he will wait for me after. 10pm comes ive got bevvy he hasnt :jjyay:

I work on the checkouts at Asda. My till broke with a full load of shopping :lol:

Id'ed a guy with his bursd she didnt have id. Didnt sell so got a mouthfull. Just sat thier with a smile knowing he wasnt getting the drink. As he left I wished him a very merry xmas. Said guy then tells me he will wait for me after. 10pm comes ive got bevvy he hasnt :jjyay:

Excellent :thumbsup:

See ****s like that? I'm glad things like that happen to them. They deserve to be miserable AND sober :rofl:

Years ago ~ 1979 when I was asst manager at John Menzies in almondvale on Christmas eve some pissed local strong armed his way past a member of my staff who was trying to shut the doors.

"are these harrd centres or soft centres?" he asked pointing to a "picture for you up on the top shelf" (for those not old enough to know about "pictures for you they were a bit chipboard with a glossy and naff picture glued on to them). I had no qualms about telling the pissed jakey they were hard centres and took ?20 off him for the goods (serves him right:- if he had not stayed in the paraifin lamp till closing time getting tanked up, he wouldn't have had to assault my staff to get in and get served) I sometimes wonder what the house was like on Christmas day as he handed them over . In those days the time to Christmas shopping was about 10:30 a.m. on Christmas eve as there was always a quiet hour when all the bams who were out at 7 a.m had gdone and those on the piss were not ready to go shopping yet

Maybe you were being a jobs worth I'din the customer and acting the big shot

only a thought :afro:

Risk his job over someone not producing ID? How about no.

The conversation Desmondo expects.

Cashier: (politely) Excuse me do you both have ID

Customer: No.

Cashier: HAHA nae bother maaatteee, I'll just put it through for you anyway, dinny even ken why I asked.

Sure but you don't have to revel in it

I dare say the chap was a tad embarrassed and reacted wrongly OK up him

As for risking his job I doubt it

Who's to say the worker is just a sad fanatic getting his cheap jollies just a thought

Sure but you don't have to revel in it

I dare say the chap was a tad embarrassed and reacted wrongly OK up him

As for risking his job I doubt it

Who's to say the worker is just a sad fanatic getting his cheap jollies just a thought

You said he was being a jobsworth ID'ing someone though.

Naw, lapping it up is quite sad though

Your having a nightmare here kid.

He can easily lose his job for not IDing, and police often send people in to test - especially at this time of year.

PaulHartley10

Failure to ID someone can result in losing your job, a ?5,000 fine and/or the store being banned from selling alcohol for a few months.

I was as it goes

Certain to get the some frothing

What I will say some staff in retail are limited and pathetic :antlers:

Failure to ID someone can result in losing your job, a ?5,000 fine and/or the store being banned from selling alcohol for a few months.

I've missed this. All people in a 'party' need to have ID for alcohol to be successfully bought?

So say someone is in the shop with their 17 year old son they are not allowed to buy alcohol?

I've missed this. All people in a 'party' need to have ID for alcohol to be successfully bought?

So say someone is in the shop with their 17 year old son they are not allowed to buy alcohol?

I think it's at the operators discretion but if they had a reasonable suspicion the drink was for the kid then it could be refused. Otherwise that'd be sold.

If a group of 17/18 year old appear it's a reasonable assumption they'd all be drinking the alcohol so refused.

PaulHartley10

Naaa. But some operators will go ahead with it anyway, as depending on where you work you may know regulars and there bairns (and know it's not a test purchase) But still, it doesn't matter if you ID them once, you have to ID them on a daily basis if needs be.

It could easily be a test purchase with 13/14 year old lad that looks older.

If you think they are buying it to share

If you think they are all drinking it you can ask all of them. Happens all the time in my shop, four or five come in one buys all the drink and they all think it's ok.

I was as it goes

Certain to get the some frothing

What I will say some staff in retail are limited and pathetic :antlers:

Ye so you were pal...

I think it's at the operators discretion but if they had a reasonable suspicion the drink was for the kid then it could be refused. Otherwise that'd be sold.

If a group of 17/18 year old appear it's a reasonable assumption they'd all be drinking the alcohol so refused.

This is correct. It's like concert in a knife attack, in a sense.

Matthew Le Tissier

I'll bet Southamptonjambo is having a great time on his 10 hour shift.

:pleasing:

Only just noticed this post :lol: fyi it was an 11 hour and was hell :sob:

Oops I thought I was just replying there you go

Maybe my poor humour was unjustified

But I certainly never started the abuse Is that against the rules or is it OK if you have thousands upon thousands of posts ??

Best bolt why the going is good :uhoh2:

Creepy Lurker

I was just messing its a message board maybe no smart but why take threads that serious Dick

Pal OMS you are ragin

I was just messing its a message board maybe no smart but why take threads that serious Dick

You've gone and hurt my feelings :(

Nucky Thompson

The guy probably just went somewhere else to get it and thought to himself 'at least I don't have a job working in a poxy supermarket till 10pm' :smugger:

Archived