Working in retail on xmas eve

iantjambo

I've been working in retail for 20 years now, 16 years at the Waverley and Haymarker branches of WH Smith, now xmas eve in those stores were very busy but fairly stress free. However for the last 4 years I've been working for Asda and this is a completly different kettle of fish as I get to see normally sane people turn into snarling,rabid lunatics.

I'm talking jumping between 2 women who were about to start punching the shit out of each other over a bag of potatos, getting dogs abuse for having no pigs in blankets/turkey/gravy/stuffing etc left (Aye it's my fault you left your xmas dinner till the last minute you ****). But my favorite is without doubt the jakey today who was in with his young son abd who wanted me to mark down some already reduced items to 10p "no sorry mate I can't do that" says I, "aw c'mon mate you can reduce it" says jakey "no I can't, I can get sacked for doing that" "Aw but mate I need to feed my kids and I'm nearly skint, c'mon what are my kids going to eat for the next few days?"

"Well sir how about you put back the 2 litre bottles of smirnoff vodka that you have in your trolley then you'll have more money to feed your kids"

"aw ah canny dae that mate ah need ma voddy at christmas likes"

DICK!!!!

Anyway fellow retail workers you have my sympathy today :)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

worked 5 christmas eves in morrisons, some of them on checkouts. my experience is mob mentality and extreme selfishness takes over.

it is people shopping like the shops are going to shut for weeks and not a day or two.

idiots

Was in Sainsbury this morning, you'd think they are closing for a month the way people are filling their trolleys

I have been out at Tesco and The Gyle yesterday and Sunday and was pleased to find that everyone I interacted with was very polite.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I have been out at Tesco and The Gyle yesterday and Sunday and was pleased to find that everyone I interacted with was very polite.

I was in Asda earlier looking for some reduced-price produce. Tried to persuade this dick of a staff member to do me some offers but he told me to piss off and to stop spending all my money on vodka. They've lost a customer for life.

Private Womble

I was in Asda earlier looking for some reduced-price produce. Tried to persuade this dick of a staff member to do me some offers but he told me to piss off and to stop spending all my money on vodka. They've lost a customer for life.

:lol:

Used to love working Xmas eve. Hated working in retail as customers are arses and management are hopeless but Xmas eve was different. Folk got so stressed and customers and staff running about like maniacs. I used to just chill and enjoy watching the madness unfold. Doing the reductions on fresh food too. Riled a few folk.

:smuggy:

:jjyay:

I was very polite throughout the conversation

:verysmug:

Don't miss it!

Although I am surprised at how many people phone the bank on Christmas Eve. Been pretty busy today.

Used to love working Xmas eve. Hated working in retail as customers are arses and management are hopeless but Xmas eve was different. Folk got so stressed and customers and staff running about like maniacs. I used to just chill and enjoy watching the madness unfold. Doing the reductions on fresh food too. Riled a few folk.

:smuggy:

It gets worse as the day goes on and people are getting more and more desperate, they're in their 5th store and still can't get any turkey gravy so turn on the 1st staff member they see :lol:

My son works in M&S at Fort Kinnaird - looking forward to seeing him tomorrow and getting some of his tales about shoppers in the lead-up to Christmas.

Shanks said no

Wife is a cashier in a shop in Livi Centre

Work just gets more and more stressful as xmas nears

Said to her this morning, "its the last day, nearly there" She reminded me that today is the day the men go shopping and around 3-4 they will arrive in her shop having been in pub and will request presents along the lines of "i've got ?30, give us some perfume for her"

Not often I get brownie points but she has seen all her wrapped presents and said she was lucky. Unsure what the reaction will be when she opens the soup kettle and cook book!

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Had a two in the shop this morning, first one buys a kids bike and has stabilisers put on, giving us all the spiel about "shopping local blah blah blah" only to come back an hour later asking for his money back as he's found a cheaper one in Halfrauds!

2nd one trying to haggle a ?12 repair down to ?5

Got one customer left to pick up a bike (thats paid for) then I'm shooting the crow!

Online shopping is the way forward! People can be complete and utter arseholes!!

The Mrs works in Dobbies and she is near to killing these idiots.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Said to her this morning, "its the last day, nearly there" She reminded me that today is the day the men go shopping and around 3-4 they will arrive in her shop having been in pub and will request presents along the lines of "i've got ?30, give us some perfume for her"

Got a mate that works in a big shop in George Street, she tells me that theyre the ones that get fleeced!

Online shopping is the way forward! People can be complete and utter arseholes!!

I sell on amazon and ebay shops. I confirm these customers are also utter arseholes.

I sell on amazon and ebay shops. I confirm these customers are also utter arseholes.

That doesn't surprise me. People like to moan.

The Great Khali

First year in 6 years away from retail and I don't miss it.

Yesterday I went to asda as I was at the fort. Thought I would nip in and get a crate of lager for Xmas.

Now, I got there at 10am on the dot and witnessed, people racing into the booze aisle as it opened. I'm talking trollies battered into each other, people shouting at others, dragging their screaming bairns through all this madness just to. Chuck in a few crates of tennants!

The aisle opened at 10 and by 10:02 there was a screaming child, a hysterical man and a smashed bottle of wine and two smashed bottles of beer. The poor guy who worked there was trying to tell people to be careful of the drink and glass but they were just running over it! Madness.

Sterling Archer

Convinced I just got trolled by an old couple at Asda.

They thought it was a good idea to print 429 photos on Christmas Eve. I needed 2.

:seething:

First year in 6 years away from retail and I don't miss it.

Yesterday I went to asda as I was at the fort. Thought I would nip in and get a crate of lager for Xmas.

Now, I got there at 10am on the dot and witnessed, people racing into the booze aisle as it opened. I'm talking trollies battered into each other, people shouting at others, dragging their screaming bairns through all this madness just to. Chuck in a few crates of tennants!

The aisle opened at 10 and by 10:02 there was a screaming child, a hysterical man and a smashed bottle of wine and two smashed bottles of beer. The poor guy who worked there was trying to tell people to be careful of the drink and glass but they were just running over it! Madness.

Beats NAP :lol:

Toxteth O'Grady

Convinced I just got trolled by an old couple at Asda.

They thought it was a good idea to print 429 photos on Christmas Eve. I needed 2.

:seething:

Gotta love oldies eh

If you do your shopping on Christmas Eve, you deserve all you get.

Worked in M&S a few years ago, and it was absolute carnage. I was taking a delivery cage full of turkeys out and people were crowding around it pawing at it, trying to break into it. It was like zombies going after fresh meat in a horror film. People got pissed off when I shouted at about 15 of them, telling them to all calm down or none of them were getting any. One dick replied with "Dae that and I'll kick your ***** in" - totally normal M&S behaviour right enough :rofl:. Made them line up and dished them out like Christmas presents :thumbsup:

Patronising the customers that day was :pleasing: beyond belief.

Just keep calm, and if people shout at you, politely inform them that they shouldn't have left it until the last second. It's hard not to burst out laughing at some of the reactions or responses you get.

My son works in M&S at Fort Kinnaird - looking forward to seeing him tomorrow and getting some of his tales about shoppers in the lead-up to Christmas.

Hope he refused to sell alcohol and pork. :jjyay:

Worked in M&S a few years ago, and it was absolute carnage. I was taking a delivery cage full of turkeys out and people were crowding around it pawing at it, trying to break into it. It was like zombies going after fresh meat in a horror film. People got pissed off when I shouted at about 15 of them, telling them to all calm down or none of them were getting any. One dick replied with "Dae that and I'll kick your ***** in" - totally normal M&S behaviour right enough :rofl:. Made them line up and dished them out like Christmas presents :thumbsup:

Just keep calm, and if people shout at you, politely inform them that they shouldn't have left it until the last second. It's hard not to burst out laughing at some of the reactions or responses you get.

i would have got him removed from the shop

I remember when I used to work in a supermarket over Christmas.

Vaguely.

Hope it is ****ing torture, gents.

:davebp:

Creepy Lurker

You shouted at them to calm down or they weren't getting any? :lol:

I'd be annoyed too if staff in M&S thought they were my ******* babysitter.

PaulHartley10

I had them all gathering at the booze aisle waiting for 10am. I had some burd come up to me at 9.45 and ask if it was okay to buy booze, even though the aisle was shut off. I said not for another 15mins sorry, but feel free to go in for a look.

Her reply...'but it's Tuesday'

I knew it was going to be a bad day :muggy:

i would have got him removed from the shop

He got the last turkey actually. The look of panic as he thought they were running out was far better than any apology :thumbsup:

You shouted at them to calm down or they weren't getting any? :lol:

I'd be annoyed too if staff in M&S thought they were my ******* babysitter.

That's what working in retail is though - looking after people that are incapable of looking after themselves ;)

If you don't show people who's boss, they will walk right over you. **** that for a laugh...

Tian handing out aid packages like it's Rwanda in 1994, while I am getting pished and sitting on my hoop is highly pleasing B)

I had them all gathering at the booze aisle waiting for 10am. I had some burd come up to me at 9.45 and ask if it was okay to buy booze, even though the aisle was shut off. I said not for another 15mins sorry, but feel free to go in for a look.

Her reply...'but it's Tuesday'

To be fair, it's a better excuse than 'but it's Monday' :thumbsup:

He got the last turkey actually. The look of panic as he thought they were running out was far better than any apology :thumbsup:

i would have still got him thrown out and possibly got a colleague to subtly walk by carrying a couple of turkeys

I did all my christmas shopping this afternoon, piece of skoosh.

And I'm always polite and friendly to the staff when I'm in shops.

Last year I witnessed two grown men having a full on fist fight in ASDA over the last bottle of sherry. Remarkable stuff as their kids cowered behind the trollies.

You should have said it was against your religion to serve turkeys and moved them back to the warehouse.

I did all my christmas shopping this afternoon, piece of skoosh.

And I'm always polite and friendly to the staff when I'm in shops.

Last year I witnessed two grown men having a full on fist fight in ASDA over the last bottle of sherry. Remarkable stuff as their kids cowered behind the trollies.

So did I. If you remain calm and polite it is not a problem.

Scott_HMFC1874

Christmas shopping, even last minute, is piss easy if you're polite and don't get stressed.

Nae sympathy anyone of the selfish last minute mutants who want to blame everything on staff.

Jambof3tornado

Aye mass panic the other day in tesco alloa when I was in shopping. Folk stocking up for WW3. The shop is open 9am boxing day ffs!

I pity anyone that works in retail.

Feed The Goat

Working 6-10 tonight at Tesco, least my shop shuts at 7 so only an hour for all the lunatics to go nuts about prawns

People turn into maniacs this time of year. I braved the gyle as I had ti get desert for the dinner and hadn't the time til today. I sniggered as people lost the rag, had a nice wee chinwag with a lonely old dear over the eclairs and breezed to a surprisingly empty checkout. The far end ones people always forget about. Not stressed despite being rushed off my feet.

Christmas shopping, even last minute, is piss easy if you're polite and don't get stressed.

Nae sympathy anyone of the selfish last minute mutants who want to blame everything on staff.

Agreed, had to get some stuff in Dunfermline then Asda and was done in no time

There were at least 4 occasions in Asda however where I stopped to let and older person or someone with kids through with their trolley as there was only space for one of us, didn't stop the arseholes behind me barging through though

Archived