Calling historians/collectors - Albert Mackie book

Gav Aitchison

Gav Aitchison

Sorry for such an anorakish question, but...

I've just picked up another copy of Albert Mackie's 1950s book on Hearts but, unlike all other copies I've seen, it's bound in red rather than black. Does anyone know if there were two print-runs and if so, which is the first edition? Or did the publishers simply use two different bindings at the same time?

Cheers

Sorry for such an anorakish question, but...

I've just picked up another copy of Albert Mackie's 1950s book on Hearts but, unlike all other copies I've seen, it's bound in red rather than black. Does anyone know if there were two print-runs and if so, which is the first edition? Or did the publishers simply use two different bindings at the same time?

Cheers

Hi Gav

Good to hear from you.

I too have a few copies of this book, red and black - not sure about the 1st edition thing though, and they're in the attic so not about to find out.

Cheers

J

I tried to pick up a copy of it when I was home, but couldn't find one. Did manange to get Dave Mackay's book and got him to sign it for me.

John...... I'm owe you an email. Duaghter was in a bad car crash after I got back and we're still nursing her, (not by the breast though). :evilno:

Robbos Right Peg

Jings crivvens an anorak question that has not envoked a response from Londonjambo yet. Well done Gav.

Hi Gav

Good to hear from you.

I too have a few copies of this book, red and black - not sure about the 1st edition thing though, and they're in the attic so not about to find out.

Cheers

J

i have the black copy, signed by the full team at the time, my Grandad gave it too me.:)

Mines is red, but as a kid I felt penned HMFC all over it :sad: always planned to get it re-bound.

John Findlay

I have the red copy. I have no idea why two different colours.

John

I have one with no dust cover, black bound, first edition I guess as it has a publication date of 1959.

Hope this helps.

Only three signatures though - but it did cost me 12 shillings! :o

scott herbertson

Gavin

I have four or five copies and they are all black cloth. Are the details on the title page (the inside one which has mackie's name, the title of the book and the publisher) and reverse ("verso" to us book chappies) identical - if not let me know what it says. Also does the red copy have the publishers name on the spine?

I am pretty confident the book did not have a second edition after the intial 1959 one. There are a few explanations I can suggest for the red cloth.

a) After the ntial print run the book proved popular and they had a few hundred copies of the 'sheets' (the bit that isn't the covers) and just bound them in some spare red cloth.

B) sometimes publishers printed up a different version for export (usually in the UK called a 'colonial edition') . Quite often these would not have the same edition statement on the verso of the title page (hence my question above). this was a practce which was most common between the wars so unlikely.

c) Sometimes a batch was kept separate and bound separately for public libraries

d) sometimes a publisher will produce a smaller batch as a 'limited edition' or for subscribers people who put up money pre-publication). This would usually be a better quality binding, or signed or have some other distinguishing feature.

londonjambo
Jings crivvens an anorak question that has not envoked a response from Londonjambo yet. Well done Gav.

Aye well 8.45 is a wee bit early for me, RRP !!!

To be honest, I've not seen the red cover version although I also have about 3-4 copies at home (including the printer's proof copy in light blue paperback ;))

I cant really do much better than refer you to Scott's answer.

GC

Gav Aitchison

Cheers guys. I'll double-check the title-page and reverse, but I didn't notice any differences first time round.

Archived