Zombie-The Cranberries

Doctor FinnBarr

Doctor FinnBarr

Does anyone have a problem with this song?

Reason I ask is that my 13 year old has been practising this for weeks for the schools Xmas concert, even to the extent of learning herself to play it on the guitar.

At a rehearsal today the headteacher and another teacher that's been absent for a while heard it for the first time and now she's been told she might not be able to sing it because it "could upset people".

She's been told to find another song* in case they decide at a meeting next week that Zombie can't be sung (the concerts on Thursday FFS).

Now, I knew it was a protest song about the troubles in NI but it's only in the last 10 minutes that I found out it was about the deaths of the 2 kids in the Warrington bombing in the 90's and even the Cranberries claim it's a "Song for peace between England and Ireland".

We intend sending a copy of the lyrics with a strongly worded letter to the school asking why! I'd prefer that she pulled out in protest if she's banned from singing it but we'll leave that decision to her.

Your thoughts on this folks.

:veryangry:

*the back up song is 7 Nation Army.

Doctor FinnBarr

Let them pull it. Its a bloody dirge

Can't pull it off at karaoke then Bev?

The real question is whether its right for the school to pull it because they think it might upset folk.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Can't pull it off at karaoke then Bev?

The real question is whether its right for the school to pull it because they think it might upset folk.

It would upset me because it's pish!

Jambof3tornado

I quite like it. I rarely give a shoite about song lyrics that tell stories. If the tune is good that's enough for me.

Absolute murder song, but see no reason why your daughter shouldn't be allowed to sing it.

Seven Nation Army would be far preferable, though probably best not to sing along!

Just tell the school she's not going to play it. Then she could rock up and play the first few chords before going into 7 nation army or just do the song. What's the worst that can happen?

fabienleclerq

Let them pull it. Its a bloody dirge

Baws!

I really like the song, if she is dead set on singing it back her and kick up a fuss.

It was hard to tell as it was a bit of a dark video but was the lassie not quite tidy?

Did she not look like that Sinead O'Connor?

Did she not look like that Sinead O'Connor?

Short hair I think but not a skinhead?

Its such a long time ago tbh - I'm probably way off

:laugh:

Short hair I think but not a skinhead?

Its such a long time ago tbh - I'm probably way off

:laugh:

Think so.

There was a remix of that song about 95. That was my Tenerife song :facepalm:

Alba gu Brath

So what by the ANTI NOWHERE LEAGUE? That would wake a few people up.

:2thumbsup:

On that point and regarding the ban, why not Banned from the Roxy? Could safely say that the manure would hit the fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq7TN_5eXJo

Banned from the Roxy... O.K.

I never much liked playing there anyway.

They said they only wanted well behaved boys,

Do they think guitars and microphones are just ******* toys?

**** 'em, I chosen to make my stand,

Against what I feel is wrong with this land.

They just sit there on their overfed arses,

Feeding off the sweat of less fortunate classes.

Think so.

There was a remix of that song about 95. That was my Tenerife song :facepalm:

I remember that abomination :muggy:

The Cranberries one is a belter though.

Pathetic that she can't sing that - what idiots. who's actually going to be offended?

Apart from purveyors of good music of course.

Doctor FinnBarr

Tell them your back up song is penny arcade.

She's actually very good at that but we've had to stop her singing it on holiday because it encourages any listening huns to think that we too "arra peepul".

dobmisterdobster

It's an anti-terrorist song, how would that upset anyone?

We Are The World is an anti-poverty song. It's still shit.

bigsuperslim1874

Just tell the school it's Zombie or the back up's "So What" sorted.

Didnt MetallicA get flamed by MTV by choosing to play SO WHAT / Last Caress instead of their scheduled song at the EMAs back in the 90's?

As for the OP, hope the school see sense and let the song be played. I didnt know the subject matter TBH and this wouldnt surprise me if the kids had to submit their setlist so someone could investigate their content beforehand online.....

She's actually very good at that but we've had to stop her singing it on holiday because it encourages any listening huns to think that we too "arra peepul".

It's a great song that is now forever tainted.

Didnt MetallicA get flamed by MTV by choosing to play SO WHAT / Last Caress instead of their scheduled song at the EMAs back in the 90's?

As for the OP, hope the school see sense and let the song be played. I didnt know the subject matter TBH and this wouldnt surprise me if the kids had to submit their setlist so someone could investigate their content beforehand online.....

Definitely rock up with this.

Doctor FinnBarr

They have banned her from singing it and the official excuse is............Its an Irish rebel song!

The good news is that she now wants to pull out the concert in protest. Teacher I spoke to who told me it was a rebel song admitted to never having read the lyrics.

They have banned her from singing it and the official excuse is............Its an Irish rebel song!

The good news is that she now wants to pull out the concert in protest. Teacher I spoke to who told me it was a rebel song admitted to never having read the lyrics.

you should ask them if they would ban any performances of Romeo and Juliet?

Who else is going to know its a bloody irish rebel song.... I didn't even know it was an irish rebel song. Is it even an irish rebel song?

Defo a tune though.

FFS what song could be more fitting at this time of year than a song predicting the fate of baby Jesus - to come back as a zombie. :D

Archived