97/98 memories

Gav Aitchison

Gav Aitchison

Seeing the old team out again today brought back loads of good memories from 97/98. So, apart from the cup run, what's everybody's top moments from that season?

I'll start the ball rolling, with the win at Pittodrie in November. Dean Windass was all over the papers before the game, saying the Dons were going to put us in our place, and avenge the drubbing we'd given them at Tynie ten weeks earlier. He put them 1-0 up in the first half, but we ran riot after the break, with McCann, Robbo and Flogel (2) giving us a 4-1 win. It was my first trip to Pittodrie, and is still one of my best Jambo memories.

Buffalo Bill

The 4-1 game at Tynecastle v Aberdeen in August.

We destroyed them for Windass' cheek.

Buffalo Bill

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Best thread in ages.

Where to start?

Jose equaliser against Celtic.

McCann cupping his ear.

The cup final.

The last three minutes in the semi against Falkirk.

Hibs going down.

2-0 in New Year derby and thinking "this could end up 10".

2-1 up at Ibrox in February and thinking "we could actually win this damn thing!"

The fact we played exciting attacking football and any time we went forward, we looked like scoring.

The game that summed everything up for me was at Motherwell in February. 2-0 down and we didn't have Jefferies on the touchline because he was in his bed after injuring his back celebrating Jose's equaliser against Celtic. Despite that, we came back to win 4-2 which showed our ability and the character that the team had.

Fantastic days.

The Old Tolbooth

The 5-3 game against Killie, possibly one of the most entertaining games I have ever seen at Tynie!

Also not so much a memory, but a thought which has bugged me for 10 years now, I was just saying to BB last night the very same thing too, but I felt we chucked the towel in far too early in the league campaign because we drew at home to Well 1-1, and then somehow lost to the worst team in the league, Hibs!!

I think Jeffries then believed that we should focus on the cup final, and between then and the cup final, the old firm leaked points left right and centre, and I felt that if we had kept it going, we might just have nicked the title!

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
The 5-3 game against Killie, possibly one of the most entertaining games I have ever seen at Tynie!

Also not so much a memory, but a thought which has bugged me for 10 years now, I was just saying to BB last night the very same thing too, but I felt we chucked the towel in far too early in the league campaign because we drew at home to Well 1-1, and then somehow lost to the worst team in the league, Hibs!!

I think Jeffries then believed that we should focus on the cup final, and between then and the cup final, the old firm leaked points left right and centre, and I felt that if we had kept it going, we might just have nicked the title!

No doubt that's true.

We only lost it by 7 points and even after the Motherwell and Hibs games we threw away 2 points at home against St Johnstone and lay down 3-0 at home to Rangers.

The fact we played exciting attacking football and any time we went forward, we looked like scoring.

The game that summed everything up for me was at Motherwell in February. 2-0 down and we didn't have Jefferies on the touchline because he was in his bed after injuring his back celebrating Jose's equaliser against Celtic. Despite that, we came back to win 4-2 which showed our ability and the character that the team had.

Fantastic days.

probably one of the best comebacks I have witnessed fae the JTs :)

Gav Aitchison
No doubt that's true.

We only lost it by 7 points and even after the Motherwell and Hibs games we threw away 2 points at home against St Johnstone and lay down 3-0 at home to Rangers.

Agreed. We'd probably still not have won it, but we should at least have gone into the final game with a chance. The real mistake was not buying a quality midfielder to deputise for Cameron and/or Fulton when they were injured. Makel was an okay player, but was never on their level and we struggled to break teams down when Mickey or Baggio were out.

heartgarfunkel

Knowing we had Jim Hamilton up front - 'he kens where the back of the onion bag is' was an oft quoted retort to those who berated his non Adam-esque touches from time-to-time in those halcyon days.

Top notch defence, Mickey Cameron in midfield, Terry out wide. The only thing that mucked up that season for me was the missus getting a half-season ticket;)

Taking the wife for lunch and leisurely drinks to Malmaison on Kjell Olofson Saturday - was raging she didn't want to go to Aberdeen, but had a plan B. Took a slow walk up Leith Walk as the Stig O'TD's were streaming out from the Hawkhill San Giro. Pretended I was a fairweather Lochend Koreshian, enquired, 'what was the result pal?', and affected OTT despair everytime a distressed Hibby told me the result, and of course, the relegation.:) Never even got to Robbie's bar before she hailed a fast black to get out of the area. Magic fun, cut short by an interfering woman.;):107years:

Gav Aitchison

Naysmith's screamers against St Johnstone and Aberdeen were memorable too...

kennygarland1
Best thread in ages.

Where to start?

Jose equaliser against Celtic.

McCann cupping his ear.

The cup final.

The last three minutes in the semi against Falkirk.

Hibs going down.

2-0 in New Year derby and thinking "this could end up 10".

2-1 up at Ibrox in February and thinking "we could actually win this damn thing!"

Did'nt the New Year Derby end up 2-2:confused:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Did'nt the New Year Derby end up 2-2:confused:

Yes, it did.

But I thought it would be about 6-0 when we went 2 up in 10 minutes.

kennygarland1
Yes, it did.

But I thought it would be about 6-0 when we went 2 up in 10 minutes.

What i thought,i was gutted that day as we did'nt pick up maximum points,a glorious chance wasted.

Buffalo Bill

Top notch defence

I actually think our defence was what cost us.

Gilles Rousset had a bit of a dodgy season, in my opinion; bar his performance in the cup final - a stark contrast to 95/96.

Ritchie and Weir were very good, but the right back position wasn't strong, and perhaps Pointon's best days were behind him, hence the early introduction of Gary Naysmith.

But all in all, a great team that played some scintillating, free-scoring football.

Buffalo Bill

heartgarfunkel
I actually think our defence was what cost us.

Gilles Rousset had a bit of a dodgy season, in my opinion; bar his performance in the cup final - a stark contrast to 95/96.

Ritchie and Weir were very good, but the right back position wasn't strong, and perhaps Pointon's best days were behind him, hence the early introduction of Gary Naysmith.

But all in all, a great team that played some scintillating, free-scoring football.

Buffalo Bill

Aye, fair point, I'm being selective with the memory of Weir and Ritchie, was it big McPherson/Flogel at right back? I remember Cameron injured at the end of the season and we didn't have the strength to keep the challenge going. I can never be negative regarding that campaign, due to the 16th of May:)

Gav Aitchison

Don't think the defence "cost us" as the key points we dropped were in a succession of 1-1 home draws (Killie, Motherwell, St Johnstone) in the spring. We just struggled to break teams down when they came and played for a draw.

Happy days anyway...

Salvatori's Xmas thunderbolt in front of a massive away support at Dunfermline.

Salvatori's Xmas thunderbolt in front of a massive away support at Dunfermline.

And Jose Quitongo in the same game, beating 2 players down the right wing and enjoying ti so much he took the ball backwards so he could beat one of then again. Then (I think it was the same move) he pinged in a cross which the pars' goalie back handed into the goal.

davemclaren

This is the sort of thread we used to have before the depression hit us. :cool:

Beating Aberdeen in the sunshine on the first ( I think ) day of the season after Windass rubbished us. Little did I know how things would go. :)

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

I think we hammered some team 4-1.(Dunfermline/St J?)

My Hobo mate phoning me and saying: This is serious.

JennyJambo

5-3 game against Killie at Tynie in the November. Was my pal's 21st that weekend. I was buckled!

Also Quitongo's equaliser against the Tic. My Hobo sister went with me to that game as she'd lost a bet. I can see her face to this day as we headed along the back of the Wheatfield to the exits and she was surrounded by Jambo's singing "Zip Ah Dee Do Dah"!

It's hard to leave the cup out if though...Ayr Utd in the QF...my Mum's first time inside Tynie! The SF at Ibrox against Falkirk. McAllister was immense for them that day. I can recall screaming that we had to win because I couldn't make the replay! We scored seconds later!

Dougie Vipond

So many memories from that season....how about when we won 4-1 at Motherwell around about October?

Blitzed them from the kick-off and were 3-0 up after 21 minutes. Big Rousset wsa doing a job in front of the Hearts support.

Also the 4-1 win at Pittodrie. Just stepped up a gear at half-time and accelerated past them.

Remember watching us win the East of Scotland Shield on the Monday at Easter Road, Youth Cup at Tynecastle on the Thursday and then the Scottish Cup on the Saturday.

Now there's a treble!

This has been a day for reminiscing hasn't it?:)

Aye, fair point, I'm being selective with the memory of Weir and Ritchie, was it big McPherson/Flogel at right back? I remember Cameron injured at the end of the season and we didn't have the strength to keep the challenge going. I can never be negative regarding that campaign, due to the 16th of May:)

We missed him badly and his absence cost us dearly in the league. And then it turned out he didn't have a back problem it was all down to some wierd toothache.:eek:

Highlights : Jose v Sellick. I was driving up from Nottingham at the time and nearly crashed the car.

Saw that comeback at M'well. JJ brought Gary Locke on and he was going spare encouraging the others to get forward. McCann was awesome that day.

One of the great Hearts' comebacks.

janie jones

After the parade on the Sunday it felt like an anti climax so headed into Robertsons with a few mates, a place I'd rarely go to.

The place was bouncing, full game on a loop and Adam's goal and the final whilstle were celebrated every time like they had just happenned. Best moment of the afternoon was when the wee man himself strolled in with Gary Locke and Neil Pointon. He duly got up on a table and made a great speech about what winning the cup meant to him. Cue bedlam!

Later on the same night I was one of a few hundred drunken idiots who stoped the traffic outside the Tynie Arms singing "sit down if you've won the cup" A great end to a great season.

As above but some more obscure memories from a great season:

Last minute penalty winner against St Johnstone then coming home thinking we could be on to something.

Robbo's free kick goal at Easter Road, his last for Hearts

The mass singsong at the end of the Dunfermline game on the last day which convinced me deep down that we's win the cup - for us.

Robbo with hand on heart.

Boab Mugabe

I was only 11 when we won the Cup and I remember this man I was sat beside saying to me "Here son, you'll never go through a longer 20 minutes in your life again" as we approached the 70 minute mark.

Truer words I haven't heard since. But my God, the multiple heart attacks were worth it! :cool:

Tynie was a great place to be in those days. The Aberdeen 4-1, Killie 5-3 and the Celtic game with Jose's last-gasp equaliser noted memories!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Fantastic days.

That was a great day. I remember that meant that h**s couldn't officially finish above us and we couldn't be officially relegated. I also recall the pundits spewing on Radio Glasgow and Tam Cowan doing his nut on the Off The Ball.

Another personal favourite was the Ice Bowl at McDiarmid in January when we won 3-2 on a Monday night game on Sky. St Johnstone fans were singing "You're gonna win **** all" to which we retorted "You've never won **** all". Gary Naysmith scored an absolute raker than night.

Buffalo Bill

Locke, McManus, McPherson, Murray and Flogel all played there.

But I think form the entire defence, Rousset was the weakest link in goal.

That sounds a bit harsh because we were a great attacking team, and the irony is that we changed to become a very defensive team to win the cup final.

A tactical masterstroke by JJ; much in the way Smith is using for Rangers now in Europe.

But some greta football that season.

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown

Dave McPherson's testimonial right at the very start of the season, remember thinking we'd found a right good player in Flogel then we didn't see him again until Christmas.

So many.

Falling over my seat at the final and grabbing out. Mangaged to get a grip of my mates good Evisu Jeans (100 lira in Turkey) only for all the buttons to burst of. He wasn't happy.

My daughter wondering along Gorgie Rd with a bottle of Champers.

Some hobo neds trying to square go me in morningside on the way home - another victory for the Jambos..... ;)

4-2 at Motherwell. When Baggio scored we went absolutly mental. I cant remember a better away support ever.

I really, really thought we were going to win the league then.

I was on telly too which made it a bonus and showed me how dft I look when I go mental!

Smoked-Glass
probably one of the best comebacks I have witnessed fae the JTs :)

not better than 2002 phil stamp!

Buffalo Bill

It is my opinion that Jim Hamilton won us the final. If you happen to watch the re-run on Friday, note the outstanding effort of his 16 minute cameo.

1212147.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6035F6B6846D6CFE99930FDCFC4C15FBB

Buffalo Bill

John Findlay

Fantastic days.

The much berated Jim Hamilton scored one of the best headed goals I have ever seen that afternoon. To make the half-time score 2-1 and not 2-0. I think that goal inspired the comeback.

John

Gav Aitchison

I remember us beating Utd 2-1 in September to go top, the day the Gorgie Road end stand opened. I was doing a Duke of Edinburgh expedition near St Andrew's listening on a crackly wee walkman radio when Robbo got the winner.

Archived