Terracotta warriors

jimmyjambo

Guest C00l K1d

My mate went to see it when he was travelling. Apparently there's still far more to be excavated but they don't have the technology to fully preserve it properly yet. Apparently when it comes into contact with our oxygen it will rapidly deteriorate... or something along those lines.

Been there recently and it was pretty amazing actually. The old farmer who found them just sits and signs his autograph on books of photos now.

Apparently when it comes into contact with our oxygen it will rapidly deteriorate... or something along those lines.

That's right. They were all painted beautifully, but when they were unearthed the paint just faded away and we've been left with the terracotta colours.

The burial site keeps getting bigger and bigger as they uncover more and more stuff. Best legend is that the Emperor had a giant scale map of the entire nation built actually in his mausoleum , with mountains made of bronze and flowing mercury in the rivers. Thousands of years ahead of their time.

My parents visited earlier this year and got their picture taken with the farmer who discovered them. They were told that a few years back, Bill Clinton went to see the warriors and he met the farmer. Clinton wanted his book autographed but the farmer couldn't write his own name. The Chinese were so embarrassed by this they very quickly schooled the farmer and made him a permanent feature at the site.

Guest C00l K1d

So the statues are a fairly recent discovery then? If the farmer is still alive.. I was under the impression the site had been found for hundreds of years.

Think i'm going to need to do a bit more research on this :laugh:

So the statues are a fairly recent discovery then? If the farmer is still alive.. I was under the impression the site had been found for hundreds of years.

Think i'm going to need to do a bit more research on this :laugh:

I think he found them in the 1970's.

My parents visited earlier this year and got their picture taken with the farmer who discovered them. They were told that a few years back, Bill Clinton went to see the warriors and he met the farmer. Clinton wanted his book autographed but the farmer couldn't write his own name. The Chinese were so embarrassed by this they very quickly schooled the farmer and made him a permanent feature at the site.

That's the story they told me too. The farmer looks bored out of his mind. Or drugged. He just sits there, signing his name. Never smiles. Never talks.

That's the story they told me too. The farmer looks bored out of his mind. Or drugged. He just sits there, signing his name. Never smiles. Never talks.

The picture of him with my parents, he's grinning from ear to ear. Must have caught him on a good day.

Guest C00l K1d

How close can you get to them? Is there walkways above the pits so you can walk right along or are you restricted to some kind of viewing balcony?

Morph, you're too young to have seen the exhibition in Edinburgh when they brought over some of the warrior figures but it was awesome.

Think it was about 1985 and was to celebrate the twinning of Edinburgh and Xi'an.

Edit: It was 1985.

Morph, you're too young to have seen the exhibition in Edinburgh when they brought over some of the warrior figures but it was awesome.

Think it was about 1985 and was to celebrate the twinning of Edinburgh and Xi'an.

Edit: It was 1985.

Remember going to this, sure it was down Market Street

Yup, City Arts Centre I think. Huge queues, it was very popular.

Yes,I think it was, remember there being the large queues

Yes,I think it was, remember there being the large queues

they werre in the british museum about 5 years ago too, impressive but only about 15-20 warriers.

queues were massive too.

they werre in the british museum about 5 years ago too, impressive but only about 15-20 warriers.

queues were massive too.

Was a fantastic exhibition.

Good book for anyone interested.

51KHZojTUZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

The Real Maroonblood

Anybody else watching this, on channel 4 just now, absolutely fascinating

Thanks for the heads up on the programme.

Watched it on catch up TV.

Very interesting.

I never saw the Terracotta Warriors Exhibition in Edinburgh but I have seen the Army of Blue and White seats at Hampden, twice.

It wasn't a single farmer who discovered them. There were several. I visited in 2001, and those who were still alive were dotted in various corners of the complex, each signing autographs and book covers.

Captain Sausage

I remember seeing these in Xi'an when I was 15 or so. One of the first times I really thought...holy shit.

Truly amazing feat of human capability (and cruelty).

The whole city is amazing.

Eighteenseventyfour

Try reading the book by Maurice Cotterell for an alternative interpretation.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Try reading the book by Maurice Cotterell for an alternative interpretation.

Or listen to this.

Sounds like a nutter to me.

I remember seeing these in Xi'an when I was 15 or so. One of the first times I really thought...holy shit.

Truly amazing feat of human capability (and cruelty).

The whole city is amazing.

What's the story there? Did he bury the soldiers too ?

Aye all 8000 of them.

You're not suggesting they are real though are you?

Certainly the guy it was done for, Qin Shi Huangdi was reckoned to be a bit of a shitebag.

He'd batter you then cut your knob off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-19922863

Thanks graygo. I skimmed through the wiki page but it didn't seem clear to me that he had had them buried alive,or simply had the equivalent of his army depicted in clay. I'd have had them executed and then encased in clay ... that'd be a bit more accurate. :D

Sounds mental, as you say.

Qin Shi Huangdi was the first Emperor of China as we know it, it used to be seven kingdoms but a long war saw it become one.

Before this war they did bury hundreds (after poisoning them with arsenic) with the emperor but the population was decimated during the war so they think that's why he had a clay army buried with him.

The first 10 minutes of this video explains it well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UJOcsCHyIQ

Eighteenseventyfour

Or listen to this.

Sounds like a nutter to me.

He's highly respected and was given the freedom of Mexico for his discovery work of the Mayans

He's highly respected and was given the freedom of Mexico for his discovery work of the Mayans

I'm sure he is but I'm not having some of the shite about the sun and women's periods and the sex of the unborn child.

How is you Uncle Maurice?

Source?

Eighteenseventyfour

Source?

I wasn't quite right however;

Maurice Cotterell, a mathematician and scientist formerly at the Cranfield Institute of Technology, was awarded in 1992 the Voluntariado Cultural medal for his contributions to Mexican culture.

Captain Sausage

What's the story there? Did he bury the soldiers too ?

Worth reading about the thousands ( possible millions - someone more historical can correct) who died creating these warrior models.

Worth reading about the thousands ( possible millions - someone more historical can correct) who died creating these warrior models.

I should take some time to delve. graygo put me onto some material too. Life was cheap.

I wasn't quite right however;

Maurice Cotterell, a mathematician and scientist formerly at the Cranfield Institute of Technology, was awarded in 1992 the Voluntariado Cultural medal for his contributions to Mexican culture.

Yes, that's not quite the freedom of Mexico.

I'm not dissing this guy or at least I'm not hell bent on it but can you tell me anything about this medal?

Even tell me anyone else that has been awarded it just so that I can check it's importance, thanks.

Eighteenseventyfour

Yes, that's not quite the freedom of Mexico.

I'm not dissing this guy or at least I'm not hell bent on it but can you tell me anything about this medal?

Even tell me anyone else that has been awarded it just so that I can check it's importance, thanks.

I can't find annything relating to this other than his own proclaiming he received it from the Mexican president. Perhaps he bought a certificate from the Internet! In short I was wrong (I was pretty sure I had read it somewhere) so there you go. As this thread is about the Warriors I'll leave it at this point (tail between legs). However if you are interested in his theories the prophecies of tutankhamun is a fascinating read.

I can't find annything relating to this other than his own proclaiming he received it from the Mexican president. Perhaps he bought a certificate from the Internet! In short I was wrong (I was pretty sure I had read it somewhere) so there you go. As this thread is about the Warriors I'll leave it at this point (tail between legs). However if you are interested in his theories the prophecies of tutankhamun is a fascinating read.

Fair play mate :thumbsup:

I couldn't find anything about it other than on the back of his own book.

My opinion of Maurice Cotterell is slightly above that of David Icke.

Anyway, like you say, back to the warriors........

Eighteenseventyfour

Fair play mate :thumbsup:

I couldn't find anything about it other than on the back of his own book.

:)

That looks a decent chunk of the book, whilst his theories may not appeal to some its just as believable as any of the religious teachings imo.

Enjoy.

And there's the rub.

Eighteenseventyfour

And there's the rub.

Care to expand, I don't get the comment

Care to expand, I don't get the comment

Just that none of the religious teachings are believable as far as I'm concerned.

Eighteenseventyfour

Just that none of the religious teachings are believable as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed

Archived