How old were you when you first saw Hearts?

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

How old were you when you first saw Hearts?

I took my little girl to her first game today - aged 423 days.

She was great, and even managed a spot of lunch.

product-6753784.jpg

She even clapped when Thomas Flogel came back on.

Now she has beaten me by about seven years, as I was eight when I first saw First Division Hearts back in 1982. What a great afternoon today was. Lots of legends, lots of smiles.

Robbie will be a proud man today. Like me.

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown

I have match programmes from 1974-75 season which means I was probably age 6 although if it was near the end of season i might have been just turned 7.

One very beautiful young lady....

She beat me too - I was 4 and with my daddy. :)

japanjambo

Must have been about 6(god I miss my dad!)when my dad lifted me over the tunstile at the gorgie end...sigh

Lynn:ninja:

boabyarsebiscuit

7. Midweek League Cup Groups game in 1970, think it was Dundee Utd. It was a 0-0 draw.

I was about 13. I used to get forced to watch my dad play cricket on Leith Links when I was younger. Personally I've thought of reporting him for child abuse on two counts.

Firstly, making me watch cricket and secondly taking me to Leith.

I was 9, that was first game, but have it seems always known about Hearts. First game was Third Lanark, I seem to recall it was a midweek game not a big crowd. We sat in the south stand, that was a special treat for that game, from then on it was the terracing, and lessons on how to keep your elbows out when exiting the ground and the crowd were all rushing for the gates. The second lesson was to run real fast to avoid the water? running from the terracing at the gate.

I am not sure of the date but had to be the start of the season 1944/45.

Pleased to hear that BB. My wee boy will probably last longer than that tbh. Although he HAS met all the players, at the grand old age of 129 days old as my bebo will testify! :)

Great to hear that Jude (it IS Jude isn't it?) is now well and truly inducted into the Hearts family.

I want to see pictures of today next time I am in Diggers so make sure they are in your phone!

As for me, I would have been around about the age of four or five (complete guess as the only real witness is dead) It would have been against a lesser side at the time as Hibs/Glasgow two games didn't come 'til much later.

21st August 1982 away to Clyde so I was 6.

We won 7-1 and Willie Pettigrew scored 4 :)

JennyJambo

14th March 1981. Hearts 2 - Rangers 1.

So I'd have been 6. I went with my Dad. Just me and him and we were in the main stand. Dad was a Weegie and a Bluenose. I was taken to support Rangers (having already been to Hunbrox twice :( now that's real child abuse!) but cheered the Hearts goals! I mind telling my Dad I liked them better than Rangers cause their tops were a nicer colour! The rest as they say is history...

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

23 Nov 1985

Hearts 3-0 Motherwell

Good stuff, BB. It's been quite a couple of weeks for you, eh?

Buffalo Bill

23 Nov 1985

Hearts 3-0 Motherwell

Good stuff, BB. It's been quite a couple of weeks for you, eh?

It has been. "Blink and you'll wake up dead".

Great day at Tynecastle. A rarity these days.

Buffalo Bill

Doctor FinnBarr

6 seems to be quite a popular age, I,d guess that I,d be that age and it,d be against Motherwell.

Now is it my memory or would there have been a pipe band or maybe a brass band playing at half time?

:confused:

Gigolo-Aunt

Must have been either 4 or 5. Dundee United at home.

We lost quite heavily I think.

Must have been around 81/82 season.

rudi must stay

Was 7 years old. We beat Ayr United in the quarter final of the Scottish Cup, same year that we went on to win it. I thought supporting Hearts was always going to be like that.. :rolleyes:

davemclaren

8 years old

The last game of the season in 1965. :sad:

As quoted in ye olde profile on London Hearts,

'My dad took me to see Hearts win the league......little did he know it would be the start of a life of disappointments until that day in May 1998'

Buffalo Bill
8 years old

The last game of the season in 1965. :sad:

That really is rotten luck, Dave!

You must have cried yourself a river in May 98?!!

Buffalo Bill

Malcolm Tucker

I was 5 years old in October of 1995.

We beat Raith 4-2.

Say What Again

Early 80's versus Morton. We were 5 mins late and had missed a goal.

Thankfully I don't have or know any kids I hate enough to subject them to 'Hearts'. I reckon I might take my son to ballet, croquet, or Tory party conferences.

Buffalo Bill
I reckon I might take my son to ballet, croquet, or Tory party conferences.

If you'd hate him that much, take him to Deep Sea World on a rainy bank holiday Monday.

Buffalo Bill

Say What Again
If you'd hate him that much, take him to Deep Sea World on a rainy bank holiday Monday.

Versus taking him to Falkirk to watch Hearts?

BB, you could be on to something.

Thanks.

alwaysthereinspirit

6. 40 years of more downs than ups. I still wouldn't trade it for anything else in sports fandum. Love being a Jambo.

Footballfirst

Age 8 - 30th November 1963 - Hearts won 3 -0 at Castle Greyskull with Tommy White (2) and Willie Wallace scoring the goals.

My uncle (a hun) took me to the game. I remember being lifted over the turnstyle as was the normal practice at the time.

my dad says 2 but my mother says 3.all i know is 1 of my first memory's in life is my dad looking out of the window and saying that the q at the gate(father and sons gate , i presume as we lived behind the wheatfield then)was getting smaller.i was born on an unfortunate date(01.01.73)so i assume it was about 1976 or77

DemonCleaner

I was in my mothers belly in Paris in 1984 if that counts?

If not it was against falkirk when i was 9 and a 3-1 win for hearts and i saw myself on the highlights. over the moon i was.

Buffalo Bill
Pre-season friendly against Spurs in 1992, I was 7 years old.

:)

I seem to remember Gordon Durie scoring a double that day.

Buffalo Bill

In before my 1st birthday. Haven't a clue who against but it was at home according to the old man. 1963.

As a result, I got my boy in pre-1 as well against Dunfermline unless you count when Missus Flogel was plump. which would be against Murderwell.

3 or 4 maybe.

Ask my dad. :D

I don't know your dad, your mum on the other hand..........:oopsoops:

Only kidding mate! :)

8 in 1963 to see us beat Airdrie 4-0. Tommy White scored the first (what a scoring record he had, by the way) and Willie Wallace got a double. Next game I can remember was the following August, also against Airdrie and we won 8-1. Thought it was always going to be like that.

Like Dave M, I too was at the Kilmarnock game at the end of that season, but if I remember correctly, the real damage had already been done by Dundee - 7-1 at home! They even had the cheek to score ours!

Thanks to Billy Higgins and Clare Wardhaugh for 45 years of it. ;)

John Findlay

Clyde December the 11th 1965. I was 2yrs and 8months old.

John

hearts_crazy

It was in 1975 (v Kilmarnock actually, which was also the last team I saw us play against - the scoreline was 2-0 to US that day mind) which makes me 12 going on 13. I didn't take much interest in football until I moved to Trinity at age 7 where ironically i was surrounded by hobos. My whole family were jambos though so I became one too, but my brother was lured by the dark side and until recently was a season ticket holder at that shethole down the road.

First ever game was Alex Macdonalds testamonial, 1 of 2 games I've been to with my old man. I can't even remember what year it was but I must have been 8-9 years old. I never started properly going to games untill I was 11 and started going with my mates!

My son is 7 and has been a season ticket holder for the last 4 years, I love going to the games with him. I'd like to think when I'm older we will still be going to the games together!:cheers:

Craigieboy

Glad you enjoyed the day with your wee lass Andy.

I also took my wee biy to his 1st game yesterday, weeks before his 4th birthday. Took lots of snaps of him in the old stand. He was delighted to sing the Hearts song on his way out of the stadium. A really nice occasion.

You have to feel for them though. It's all ups & downs for them now!

:rolleyes:

I was about 3 or 4 when I was taken to the old main stand for a friendly. Started going regularly in 1986 at the age of nine.

I don't know your dad, your mum on the other hand..........:oopsoops:

Only kidding mate! :)

He's on here, he'll probably post on this thread at some point.

Archived