Why Movember is racist

TheMaganator

A Boy Named Crow

I'm all for raising money for cancer research etc (done my fair share of events for this over the years) but Movember as a means for doing this jumped the shark a while back. I kind of agree with the article that sponsored events need a shock or extreme element and Movember doesn't have this anymore. To call it racist though is pretty ridiculous!

Rasing money for cancer, but hey ho lets take a dig at it anyway.

Journalists can be complete welts sometimes. :facepalm:

I'm all for raising money for cancer research etc (done my fair share of events for this over the years) but Movember as a means for doing this jumped the shark a while back. I kind of agree with the article that sponsored events need a shock or extreme element and Movember doesn't have this anymore. To call it racist though is pretty ridiculous!

How can a charitable effort jump shark? :wtf:

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

the author is prob right in that it doesnt actually raise much awareness of mens health issues but it raises cash for charities so dont see what the problem is

racism though :rofl: jesus wept

These people are not mentally competent. This article represents a tiny branch of a virus that will one day be shouted down - when people stop allowing themselves to be emotionally blackmailed.

A Boy Named Crow

How can a charitable effort jump shark? :wtf:

In the sense that to get people to sponsor you where they wouldn't normally donate to a charity it has to be something out of the ordinary. Movember has just become something everybody does now. I'm all for the money it raises, but I'd be interested to know what the cash raised per person doing it looks like compared to the first year or two it ran. I know a lot of people who just grow a 'tache to "raise awareness" they don't even get any sponsorship at all!

Edit - I am not knocking the idea of raising money, I just think this way of doing it has had its time

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Well done the New Statesman I say. There aren't many publications brave enough to publish an article like this. They'll be reaping the rewards with the amount of traffic they'll get.

I don't agree with the article though.

It's tripe like that that gives us wishy-washy liberal lefties a bad name.....

What an ill-considered, stupid piece. Some good responses below it though, unpicking it and highlighting the fatuousness of the author's arguments.

Creepy Lurker

The article is spot on. Well done to the writer for having the courage to express these views. I too have always found Movember very offensive. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

The article is spot on. Well done to the writer for having the courage to express these views. I too have always found Movember very offensive. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

100_100_768426550_Oh_you_przez_drstein_middle.jpg

And I find Moonwalks offensive since I don't have boobs or Michael Jackson's dancing skills.

Oh...wait, no, no I don't.

Creepy Lurker

100_100_768426550_Oh_you_przez_drstein_middle.jpg

This went well.

And I find Moonwalks offensive since I don't have boobs or Michael Jackson's dancing skills.

Oh...wait, no, no I don't.

Well, I do.

Geoff Kilpatrick

:laugh:

All this means is that Octsober must offend someone too so that is that idea canned! :pleasing:

I don't agree with you regarding "reaching a new low" as I think the New Statesman shits all over most reporting in terms of investigative journalism.

However I don't agree with anything in that article beyond the fact that "movember" is pretty much the most prominent example of slacktivism there is.

This is pretty much what the Daily Mail online does 10 to 20 times a day but it's still disappointing to see. I would argue that articles like this will only lead to people dismissing genuine trans* and gender rights issues that ARE worth discussing.

jamboinglasgow

There is something depressing that newspapers are creating articles to annoy people just so people they will visit their website.

I struggle to see how Movember could be construed as anything other than harmless. Add in to the fact men's health charities benefit greatly from donations throughout the month and I can't see a problem with it at all.

I raised over 700 quid for charity. Look at me.

That's mental, good going mate. I only managed 40-something, but still, better than nothing.

Very well done. It was not efforts like yours I was referring to though.

Creepy Lurker

Suarez fan does Movember. Quelle surprise.

Archived