A lesson from history or over-optimism?

Highlander

Greetings Kickback,

Until last year I managed a voluntary organisation in Dundee and had a number of Dundee fans working alongside me. As a result, in 2010, I took a keen interest in Dundee's second bout of administration within a ten year period. As a result of the poor handling of the club, they were issued with a 25 point deduction early into 2010/11 season leaving them rock bottom at -11 after an unflattering start.

As with every entrance to administration, there was the initial exodus of the most expensive players and the usual cost-cutting measures but a curious thing occurred; they filled their entire first team with young players who had never seen the light of day and went on a 22 game unbeaten run, finishing 6th in the First Division. Additionally, had they not been deducted the 25 points, they would have finished one point behind Dunfermline, who were promoted to the Scottish Premier League that season.

Now, this was the First Division and I know the circumstances are not entirely parallel, however, I have spent a lot of time in the stands this season mulling over both sets of circumstances and have seen a number of similarities, primarily that of the the young boys who have been drafted in.

We have clawed back 12 points in the first third and, having been to most games this season, I think our boys are beginning to gel more each week. We've had the howlers (St Mirren home / Kilmarnock away) but we've also had glimmers of hope (Hibs home and away / Aberdeen home and away). Bottom line, when our boys show up and put in some effort (and get the occasional break as they did in Aberdeen last week), it yields results. This weekend, for instance, I think we were by far the better team and minus the defensive errors (a la Tapping and Hamill), the County game could have been a win.

We have some extremely difficult games facing us in December but so do Killie and County and I am thoroughly convinced we can see ourselves even by Christmas. I suspect if we can continue to give these boys a chance, get behind them with our voices and, where possible, our finances (as we have), I think they will continue to develop as a unit, build some confidence and potentially, do something that supersedes all our expectations in the New Year.

Is this a lesson from history or over-optimism? Discuss.

Charlie-Brown

We are locked in a struggle for our SPL survival that will most likely last almost the whole season, other bottom 6 club's don't look too clever either but without the handicap of the 15 points penalty or signing embargoes. We are where we are and what will be will be.

Fridays obviously huge for us.....if we can get a positive outcome iv no doubt that everybody connected with the club will get a massive boost and that could be the catalyst to keep us up.

fraz the postie

I much prefer optimistic posts to the pessimistic ones,

We can but plug away and hope for the best.

RE: Craigieboy and Poultry.

Yes, I am the guy that was on the telly. That was four years ago - both of you have a great memory!

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Yes, I am the guy that was on the telly. That was four years ago - both of you have a great memory!

What program were you on, dude?

Shared memories are the best ... :wink:

was this the secret millionaire?

if it was, highlander was one of the charity folk, not the millionaire, before anyone starts panhandling on hearts behalf.

Not really, it was about the last bit of positive publicity we got.

;)

Captain Canada

Until it's not mathematically possible for us to stay up I will believe we can do it. If everyone gives up now we will have very little chance.

Yes, the programme was Secret Millionaire (@ Sir David Attenborough) and yes (@ Craigieboy) I used to manage Dundee Foodbank. I now work for The Trussell Trust, who oversee 43 Foodbanks in Scotland, one of which is the one in Dundee, so I still spend a bit of time on TV.

Are there any fellow Jambos in Dundee? It would be nice to travel to games with other locals!

Terrific OP and a great Jambo.

Well done on your community work and looking for the positives in our predicament.

I am certain that we mean too much to too many people to shut the shop. We will emerge from the post Romanov debacle with our heads held high and we might just be visiting Hampden again this season.

Let's all take a lead from Highlander and think positive.

Yes, the programme was Secret Millionaire (@ Sir David Attenborough) and yes (@ Craigieboy) I used to manage Dundee Foodbank. I now work for The Trussell Trust, who oversee 43 Foodbanks in Scotland, one of which is the one in Dundee, so I still spend a bit of time on TV.

Are there any fellow Jambos in Dundee? It would be nice to travel to games with other locals!

I have the great pleasure of living in Dundee ;)

There are a few of us up here, rather surprisingly :thumbsup:

mulleted_jambo

Great post the kind of positive one I enjoy being a glass half full kind of guy when it comes to the situation we find ourselves in.

I think the Christmas period will be massive for us. Assuming a cva is accepted. I refuse to consider the notion that it won't be :)

We have Hibs, killie and st Mirren in the space of 8 days. I think these 3 games will make or break our season in terms of staying up. We have a tough run leading up to that where any points will be a bonus. Got to be looking for 6 points at least from those 3 games.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Good on you fella. :thumbsup:

There was a guy who started a thread a while back looking to organise Dundee Hearts traveling arrangements. He got lots or replies, but his overuse of the "lol" appeared to upset folk!:lol:

Can't remember if they ever sorted it out. Start a new thread and ask.

Interesting mate.

I do a shift once a week for the Edinburgh West food bank.

Great charity. Keep up the good work.

Hope you get a few fellow Jambos to get to the games with.

Cheers.

There was a guy who started a thread a while back looking to organise Dundee Hearts traveling arrangements. He got lots or replies, but his overuse of the "lol" appeared to upset folk! :lol:

:vrface:

I remember that thread. The idea was good, but it just never happened.

lol

OP...please never say "discuss" ever again. Sounds like a 15yo cyber thug demanding attention.

OP...please never say "discuss" ever again. Sounds like a 15yo cyber thug demanding attention.

Where as the robinson and hamill threads are full of 15yr olds demanding attention.

Rather see discuss than read their embarrassing drivel anytime. :jj:

Good on you fella. :thumbsup:

There was a guy who started a thread a while back looking to organise Dundee Hearts traveling arrangements. He got lots or replies, but his overuse of the "lol" appeared to upset folk! :lol:

no i think the thread died a death unfortuanatly

lol

Mayfield: Five paragraphs and over four hundred words of common sense and you offer us this? :facepalm:

Allyjambo: Thank you for posting this. Good to know there are some local boys worth contacting... though I might give skacel goal a miss... LOL!

Tian447: I travelled to Inverness with graygo a while back and he mentioned you, but said he thought you stayed in Perth. PS. Your PM inbox is full.

Archived