EDI - Doha, New Qatar Airlines flight announced

Hugh Phamism

Add that to this year's start up to Toronto and the announcement a wee while ago of a service to Chicago next summer - big difference to the wee Turnhouse I remember.

I just shows how much the former owners, BAA, wanted to keep the direct routes out. Meaning more transfers through their hub airports in that London.

Freedom....

:2thumbsup:

Isn't the Dreamliner the one there was safety concerns about or am I making that up entirely? I'm sure I read something about that.

Doha sounds good as a stop off/transfer hub but it won't be a destination for me anytime soon.

Isn't the Dreamliner the one there was safety concerns about or am I making that up entirely? I'm sure I read something about that.

Doha sounds good as a stop off/transfer hub but it won't be a destination for me anytime soon.

Probably more issues than any new airplane ever. We were followed by fire engines to and from the runway when we flew on it a few months ago.

Beautiful airplane to fly in though.

Probably more issues than any new airplane ever. We were followed by fire engines to and from the runway when we flew on it a few months ago.

Crikey. I'm sure that wasn't disconcerting/worrying/terrifying [delete as appropriate] for passengers in the slightest.

Did they also offer you sedation?

Craig Gordons Gloves

That's all good and well etc, but I really need Delta to start an EDI-MSP direct flight rather than having to fly from here to Amsterdam, thereby flying over Edinburgh which is so annoying when you've already been on a plane for 8 hrs.

The new Chicago to Edinburgh route doesn't help since O'hare is just a clusterf*** of an airport and i don't have status on United :)

However - the very fact that wee Edinburgh airport is becoming a direct international airport is good.

That's all good and well etc, but I really need Delta to start an EDI-MSP direct flight rather than having to fly from here to Amsterdam, thereby flying over Edinburgh which is so annoying when you've already been on a plane for 8 hrs.

The new Chicago to Edinburgh route doesn't help since O'hare is just a clusterf*** of an airport and i don't have status on United :)

However - the very fact that wee Edinburgh airport is becoming a direct international airport is good.

If you have good status on Skyteam, try for a status match on United. They tend to give status match on a trial basis, i.e. you need to fly so many miles within a 3 month period to keep the status, but it comes into effect immediately, and will get you the benefits of extra leg room, lounge access, etc.

Last time I was there Doha airport was pretty shite but I think they've done it up since then. Nice new planes and of course they are in maroon and white.

Craig Gordons Gloves

If you have good status on Skyteam, try for a status match on United. They tend to give status match on a trial basis, i.e. you need to fly so many miles within a 3 month period to keep the status, but it comes into effect immediately, and will get you the benefits of extra leg room, lounge access, etc.

Really? I wasn't aware of that. I'm platinum on Delta - any idea how I would go about getting status match or where to look? I have a United Mileage Plus account but on;y about 10,000 miles in it as Minneapolis is a Delta hub. And thanks for letting me know this. JKB truly is wonderful sometimes!

Nothing like that when I was on this month.

Really? I wasn't aware of that. I'm platinum on Delta - any idea how I would go about getting status match or where to look? I have a United Mileage Plus account but on;y about 10,000 miles in it as Minneapolis is a Delta hub. And thanks for letting me know this. JKB truly is wonderful sometimes!

Try this link:

MileagePlus Premier Status Match Challenge - United Airlines

www.united.com/web/en-us/apps/mileageplus/.../registrationDetails.aspx?...

1 Jan 2013 - We are pleased to offer you the opportunity to participate in our Premier? Status Match Challenge promotion, offering top-tier flyers of many ...

I got a Status match recently with Hyatt for having a diamond card with Hilton. First 2 stays were both upgraded to suites with free breakfasts and wifi.

Crikey. I'm sure that wasn't disconcerting/worrying/terrifying [delete as appropriate] for passengers in the slightest.

Did they also offer you sedation?

Didn't bother me personally, I'm a bit of an airplane geek.

It was just after one caught fire on the Tarmac at Heathrow.

Could have been less obvious about it though. An engine either side of the plane at both airports.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Try this link:

MileagePlus Premier Status Match Challenge - United Airlines

www.united.com/web/en-us/apps/mileageplus/.../registrationDetails.aspx?...

1 Jan 2013 - We are pleased to offer you the opportunity to participate in our Premier? Status Match Challenge promotion, offering top-tier flyers of many ...

I got a Status match recently with Hyatt for having a diamond card with Hilton. First 2 stays were both upgraded to suites with free breakfasts and wifi.

Great - thank you!

I got a status match with Hilton due to my Marriott points but i wasn't aware that the airlines did it too.

Both this and the Phillie announcement are excellent news. This will put money straight back in the pockets of Scottish travellers who have had to shell out double tax for long haul flights connecting through London - another example of how UK government and London based big business has been picking our pockets for years. Better Together? GIRUY.

• 7 months later...
All roads lead to Gorgie

Edinburgh to Abu Dhabi with Etihad to start next summer too.

Good news. Maybe Ann Budge should have a word; the Tynecastle Etihad has a ring to it.!!!!

Snake Plissken

I could have stopped off there on my way back to Japan last month but decided to spend an extra couple hundred quid and shave off 10-15 hours journey time by going via Amsterdam. Worth every single penny.

Edinburgh to Abu Dhabi with Etihad to start next summer too.

Great news this, hopefuly more competition will mean cheaper prices, also wont have to go through to Glas for the Emitates flights if these are cheaper, although we are flying to Ho Chi Ming next week with Emirates from Glas as they were about ?800 cheaper for the 2 of us than Quatar were

Great news this, hopefuly more competition will mean cheaper prices, also wont have to go through to Glas for the Emitates flights if these are cheaper, although we are flying to Ho Chi Ming next week with Emirates from Glas as they were about ?800 cheaper for the 2 of us than Quatar were

Daughter and her boyfriend flew to Thailand in June and they were far cheaper than Emirate's, all about timing though.

The Real Maroonblood

Excellent news! Another option to travel to Australia without going through London.

That is good news.

Daughter and her boyfriend flew to Thailand in June and they were far cheaper than Emirate's, all about timing though.

just got to shop around now that there are alternatives, for the 2 of us return flights with emirates was ?1200, Quatar were ?2000 for approx same dates, my mate is flying Quatar to Bangkok as they were cheaper than emirates

The Real Maroonblood

I see Etihad Airways are starting flying from Edinburgh next year which is pretty encouraging.

Good news. Maybe Ann Budge should have a word; the Tynecastle Etihad has a ring to it.!!!!

We are playing Man City next week. Co-incindence?

Archived