Wardie Primary School - "Racist" Mural

FWJ

Its been up since 1936, it has artistic value and it is causing no harm to anyone.

Someone should tell the mother to f$?" off

Speaking as a parent of course :pleased:

Can see why someone wouldn't want a grossly offensive characature of black people to be on prominent display in a children's primary school to be fair.

This story was in the Evening Hobo yesterday. Just another example of someone going out of their way to be offended. The saddest thing is that folk gave her the time of day.

This story was in the Evening Hobo yesterday. Just another example of someone going out of their way to be offended. The saddest thing is that folk gave her the time of day.

Whilst I agree with you, if the Police get a complaint then they are duty bound to investigate.

The complainant is wasting Police time imo.

Can see why someone wouldn't want a grossly offensive characature of black people to be on prominent display in a children's primary school to be fair.

Or is it just a picture of a girl's soft toy?

I can, however, see your point!

I'll save any interest i could possibly have in this until after the police investigate, which they are obliged to do and rightly so. Until now there is 1 complaint and that's all.

Grossly offensive? You'd think something grossly offensive would attract more than 1 complaint in 77 years. No?

Are white dolls grossly offensive too?

Complete non story.

I see Steven Taylor's Premiership megabucks have afforded him the luxury of a time travelling Delorean. I hope the doll isn't smiling.

Whilst I agree with you, if the Police get a complaint then they are duty bound to investigate.

The complainant is wasting Police time imo.

So if I complained to the police that my local chippy didn't put enough sauce on my chips they would have to investigate?

Or would that be seen as a waste of time? Much in the same way as complaining about an 80 year old mural depicting a childs toy of that era.

Grossly offensive? You'd think something grossly offensive would attract more than 1 complaint in 77 years. No?

Are white dolls grossly offensive too?

Complete non story.

If the white doll was invented in a time when white people were dehumanised/oppressed and the doll was invented to play on these stereotypes then it would be offensive, yes.

Not something that would bother me personally but if someone takes issue with it I can understand why.

So if I complained to the police that my local chippy didn't put enough sauce on my chips they would have to investigate?

Or would that be seen as a waste of time? Much in the same way as complaining about an 80 year old mural depicting a childs toy of that era.

Lack of chippy sauce is not a crime. What an absurd post. :rofl:

No, they wouldn't, because no law has been alleged to have been broken.

This is the PC brigade gone mad. You can't sing baa baa black sheep, the gollywog had to be taken off jam jars and now this. People need to get a grip ffs.

Shouldn't they keep the mural up to help indoctrinate children that not only is cruelty to black people wrong (this is correct) but, as the Council said, multiculturalism and diversity are ends in themselves (this is incorrect)?

In our society there is a general complete inability to discriminate* and a general complete gutlessness in defending anything other than capitalism.

*http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2006/12/eschew_the_taboo.html

If you look a bit closer at the mural, the golly wog is actually making a gang sign.

Get it down.

There's also a monkey in the mural. Isn't that worse?

And a girl wearing a dress. Is that the kind of anti-chauvinism we want?

This is the PC brigade gone mad. You can't sing baa baa black sheep, the gollywog had to be taken off jam jars and now this. People need to get a grip ffs.

I call Daily Mail PC gone mad Bingo.

There's lots of things to get offended about these days such as children suffering due to Typhoons, Hurricanes and needless wars.

To get offended about a mural which has been in exsistence since 1936 is taking pettiness to extremes.

The Police should charge this attention seeker with wasting Police time.

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

What

Can't sing Baa Baa Black Sheep? Really?

Or an urban myth generated by the tabloid press in the 80s?

My wee cousins and nieces sing baa baa rainbow sheep

What

My wee cousins and nieces sing baa baa rainbow sheep

And is that because they aren't allowed to sing Baa Baa Black Sheep?

If the white doll was invented in a time when white people were dehumanised/oppressed and the doll was invented to play on these stereotypes then it would be offensive, yes.

Not something that would bother me personally but if someone takes issue with it I can understand why.

I just think it's hard to call it grossly offensive given the lack of complaints.

If it had been that bad we'd have heard about this a long time ago IMO.

Nobody in the history of the world has been forced to sing 'baa baa rainbow sheep'.

"Forced"

You're probably right there.

However it does happen.

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

Nobody in the history of the world has been forced to sing 'baa baa rainbow sheep'.

No, you're right. None of them have been 'forced' to sing it. But that is the rhyme they are taught

So if I see a picture, which I have seen of slaves picking cotton in the Southern States in the 1800's I am looking at a racist picture. Not really how I see it, just like the mural it is a true depiction of the racist, attitude that prevailed in these days. Not a deliberate action by most, just an example of how arrogant the white race were in these days. The mural should be looked at as an example of how we lived in those days, and how we, and those of African descent have progressed and make such things a part of our history so that younger generations do not fall into the same attitudes as prevailed then.

If they'd painted it now, then aye. Are we going to airbrush out every dodgy part of the past?

I think the term whitewashing is more appropriate.

Isn't Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep offensive to the LGBT community?

It's "baa baa wooly sheep...when the sun is hot...if you can see the wooly sheep, sing along". Not sure if the nursery my brood are at do the original or not. If my history serves me right the Highland clearances used Blackface sheep to replace the people as they were hardier and less inclined to be fecked by the bitter weather conditions roaming the glens, hence where the original song comes from.

This though should stop it stone dead...

"The scene from Alice in Wonderland in Wardie Primary's assembly hall dates back to 1936 and was recently restored with a Heritage Lottery Fund."

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Agree with the moaning bursd, tbf. That picture is outdated and offensive and should be removed. That it's old means nothing. Not everything old needs to be preserved.

Agree with the moaning bursd, tbf. That picture is outdated and offensive and should be removed. That it's old means nothing. Not everything old needs to be preserved.

But why is is offensive? And from there, where to next? Should the book be banned or at least cleansed? Moving forward, discussion on the Crusades, a bloodthirsty campaign against Muslims...dump that too? What about talk on slavery itself? What about the holocaust?

We shouldn't erase history, we should learn from it. That mural could be shown to kids, how black people were seen 100yrs ago, how it is and was wrong and how society has moved on from that, but is not trying to hide from previous indiscretions.

Not everything we now deem offensive needs to be destroyed or purged from history either.

oh ffs it's art with a painting of a toy from the past, it's not as if it a painting of a hanging or folk in chains,nothing more than a case of folk moaning for the sake of moaning, what next folk complaining about the ethnic stuff in the museum

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Thats next door to my shop.

Wouldnt surprise me some of the liberal parenting I see round here.

Craig Gordons Gloves

oh shite, i still have my gollywog that i was given 37 years ago as a 1 year old. I'd better go into the basement and root around the boxes for it and burn it before i get accused of being a klan member.

Dear god - a painting from 1936 which has a toy from that day is offensive? Do people have a list of what they have to get offended by these days?

Twenty ******* seconds with some paint, and problem done.

No reason for precious ****s to complain, no way for racist ****s to greet about PC gone mad.

Job ****ing done.

Lack of chippy sauce is not a crime. What an absurd post. :rofl:

Some soap dodger was complaining it was racist a while back, or was it having brown chippy sauce, I can't remember the F***** up details now.

Archived