Voting rights in SPFL

stevie1874

Does anyone know if the voting regarding changing anything in the SPFL was changed , to get rid of the domination the old firm had on anything for the good of the game. Or has this been forgotten about until The Rangers get back in the top league?

Seem to remember something about Aberdeen sticking up for the uglies recently and stopping things changing for the better ..

I might be wrong thou ..

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Seem to remember something about Aberdeen sticking up for the uglies recently and stopping things changing for the better ..

I might be wrong thou ..

I think you are possibly right...

However, our own club does not want to change the voting structure, in case smaller clubs vote to get a share of our gate receipts... astonishing, eh?

I'd imagine its moot what with the new structure... Anyone fancy copying and pasting the new rules in?

Each club looking after their own interests. They should look back pre Murray to see how much better things were back then for the whole of Scottish football. Cowards.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I'd imagine its moot what with the new structure... Anyone fancy copying and pasting the new rules in?

The new structure retained the voting rights of the SPL for the top division, as a sweetener, they agreed a fairer division of the TV and sponsorship money between the top flight clubs, and also between the top flight and lower divisions.

Not sure, but I think the rules were put in place to be reviewed after the same length of time it would take for whatever form the Zombie club take at the time find themselves back in the top division. :rolleyes:

Voting structure doesn't seem to be mentioned in the rules.

And no mention of structure of votes % required to pass motions etc in the articles of assoc of the SPFL, that I can see.

Footballfirst

They are in the SPFL Articles from August

Qualified Resolution means, in relation to those Reserved Matters referred to in Article 62, a resolution of the Company at a General Meeting, of which notice has been duly given in accordance with these Articles, and which requires the support of not less than 90% of the Members owning and operating Clubs entitled for the time being to be the members of Division One; 75% of the Members owning andoperating Clubs entitled for the time being to be the members of Divisions One and Two; and 75% of the Members owning and operating Clubs entitled for the time being to be the members of Divisions One, Two, Three and Four, whether all the Members of the Company actually attend and vote or not, to be passed;

Ordinary Resolution means a resolution of the Company at a General Meeting, which is not a special resolution, Qualified Resolution or Commercial Resolution, of which notice has been duly given in accordance with these Articles, and which requires the support of not less than each of: (i) 75% of the Members owning and operating Clubs entitled for the time being to be the members of Division One; (ii) 75% of the Members owning and operating Clubs entitled for the time being to be the members of Division Two; and (iii) 75% of the Members owning and operating Clubs entitled for the time being to be the members of Divisions Three and Four, whether all the Members of the Company actually attend and vote or not, to be passed;

Commercial Resolution means, in relation to those Reserved Matters referred to in Article 63, a resolution at a General Meeting, of which notice has been duly given in accordance with these Articles, and which requires the support of not less than 66% of the Members owning and operating Clubs entitled for the time being to be the members of Division One, whether all the Members owning and operating Clubs actually attend and vote or not, to be passed and in the vote on such a resolution only Members owning and operating Clubs entitled for the time being to be the members of Division One may participate;

I think you are possibly right...

However, our own club does not want to change the voting structure, in case smaller clubs vote to get a share of our gate receipts... astonishing, eh?

Although I think the sharing of gate receipts is a positive step forward, if you look at the average home crowds and how many them bring to Tynie then I understand why we wouldnt want it.

Each club looking after their own interests. They should look back pre Murray to see how much better things were back then for the whole of Scottish football. Cowards.

Totally agree, people in power just don't seem to want any sort of change for the better of Scottish football , other than a name change for the top league!

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Although I think the sharing of gate receipts is a positive step forward, if you look at the average home crowds and how many them bring to Tynie then I understand why we wouldnt want it.

Yep. However, if it brought a tightening from top to bottom, then it would ultimately be beneficial to the game as a sellable product to both stadia and TV fans.

The inescapable truth, is that our game is unattractive to most people because it is so top heavy with supporters following just two teams.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Not particularly on board with the sharing of gate receipts. Clubs should be encouraged to entice fans to the stadium without being 'punished' for it.

What seems a no brainer to me is TV money. Money received from a deal for showing league matches should be split evenly among the teams in that league. Have a hard time seeing why not. Otherwise we get in the cycle (which we're well and truly in now) of big clubs arguing TV fans want to see them, meaning more TV money, meaning more success, meaning more TV fans, guess what, want to see them. Shitty.

Yep. However, if it brought a tightening from top to bottom, then it would ultimately be beneficial to the game as a sellable product to both stadia and TV fans.

The inescapable truth, is that our game is unattractive to most people because it is so top heavy with supporters following just two teams.

I agree! I think sharing gate receipts is the way forward :) I was just saying that I can understand why Hearts wouldnt want it, when you look at how many they actually bring to Tynie.

internationalcoverup

As regards sharing gate receipts maybe a formal version of the "cash back" Hearts have benefited from at certain away games this season could work.

A set amount could be agreed to be paid to the away team for every supporter they bring.

This would give the away side some revenue instead of receiving none as at present.

It may even attract a few more people to away games if they felt they were contributing to their club.

Rangers back in the top flight cuddling their brother's in the East end, All will revert back to normal service with the help of the SFA, All other clubs scrapping for scraps. Some thing's will never change, I do hope I am wrong but I don't think so some how.

What seems a no brainer to me is TV money. Money received from a deal for showing league matches should be split evenly among the teams in that league. Have a hard time seeing why not. Otherwise we get in the cycle (which we're well and truly in now) of big clubs arguing TV fans want to see them, meaning more TV money, meaning more success, meaning more TV fans, guess what, want to see them. Shitty.

Totally agree.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

As regards sharing gate receipts maybe a formal version of the "cash back" Hearts have benefited from at certain away games this season could work.

A set amount could be agreed to be paid to the away team for every supporter they bring.

This would give the away side some revenue instead of receiving none as at present.

It may even attract a few more people to away games if they felt they were contributing to their club.

I think there is something in this. Hopefully it grows arms and legs.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Is it worthwhile to petition for it?

Doubt it... If you were to try it on here, you would be told to stop thinking that you are some kind of Che Guevara, and that you are just some guy pretending to be Stevie Fulton on a football messageboard...

Maybe just take the baton up yourself and have a go, then if you get anywhere, come back on here, and hope that you have enough of a movement to avoid the derision of cynical arse scratching zombies that would attempt to shoot you down.

:thumbsup:

Bit disappointing that all other clubs out with Celtic can't see a chance with Rangers away to change things for Scottish football instead of the same old same old

Oldco and Celtic were already doing this in a roundabout way by charging the 5% to sell tickets to their own fans for away matches. They should have been told to GTF when they started that pish.

There will be no changes - football now is all about making the strong stronger and the weak weaker. The TV companies provided the opportunity, the bigger clubs jumped at it and we're stuck with it.

Wow... I just had to delete a 3 paragraph rant about this on the risk of sounding like a moany *******!! :D

Yeah its annoying but there is nothing that can be done in short.

The problem largely is apathy y'know 'whats the point' etc.

Chad Sexington

Doubt it... If you were to try it on here, you would be told to stop thinking that you are some kind of Che Guevara, and that you are just some guy pretending to be Stevie Fulton on a football messageboard...

Maybe just take the baton up yourself and have a go, then if you get anywhere, come back on here, and hope that you have enough of a movement to avoid the derision of cynical arse scratching zombies that would attempt to shoot you down.

Bitter much? :lol:

Too true . Self interest rules . I already raised the point after some of the clubs donated some of their away takings to us this

season . It makes a lot of sense .

Not sure who colluded with the gruesome twosome [or at moment onesome] to stop the vote becoming democratic . Yes , I know , how can a vote be

undemocratic ?

Some of the stuff on here makes me think these 'level playing field' proposals have no chance

Too true . Self interest rules . I already raised the point after some of the clubs donated some of their away takings to us this

season . It makes a lot of sense .

Not sure who colluded with the gruesome twosome [or at moment onesome] to stop the vote becoming democratic . Yes , I know , how can a vote be

undemocratic ?

Some of the stuff on here makes me think these 'level playing field' proposals have no chance

I suppose us as a club hopefully owned by the fans should have a say on what way we vote in any future discussions. If we're in top league.

Once the fans are running the club there is nothing to stop the club giving half the gate money away to visiting clubs. They can give half the money away and hope the gesture is returned.

I'm sure everyone will be up for it.

Once the fans are running the club there is nothing to stop the club giving half the gate money away to visiting clubs. They can give half the money away and hope the gesture is returned.

I'm sure everyone will be up for it.

There may be a hint of sarcasm here ?

I think a percentage of the away gate would help spread things around a bit . Obviously it should be legislated for . When OF are gone [please

Santa] arguably Hearts [out of admin] could be top of the heap . I would hope we could behave in a non-OF [neither dictatorial , arrogant or any

other of their many sins] manner . Scottish football , and Scotland , would benefit from this scenario but things would be financially even worse than now initially . All the more reason for all of us to work together , yes Hibs too !

I suppose us as a club hopefully owned by the fans should have a say on what way we vote in any future discussions. If we're in top league.

I think a percentage of the away gate would help spread things around a bit . Obviously it should be legislated for . When OF are gone [please

Santa] arguably Hearts [out of admin] could be top of the heap . I would hope we could behave in a non-OF [neither dictatorial , arrogant or any

other of their many sins] manner . Scottish football , and Scotland , would benefit from this scenario but things would be financially even worse than now initially . All the more reason for all of us to work together , yes Hibs too !

I don't think sharing gate receipts is the answer to the problems of Scottish Football.

The solution IMO is to focus on increasing the number of fans attending games, not on how you distribute income from fans that currently attend games.

I think football is Scotland needs to get back to the basics and provide fans with a product they want to pay for week in week out.

A starting point for me would be to increase the number of teams in the league so that we play each team only once at home and once away. The recent SFA fans survey made it clear fans wanted this change... But it has been ignored.

I can't get excited about playing ST Mirren etc 4 times a year in the league and possibility more if you include the cup. I always used to go to all our away games, but not anymore. I still go to some away games... But not as many as before.

Instead I have been going to watch Newcastle and will continue to do this whilst the current system is in place.

Whoops ! No idea what I did there

The Old Firm tried to get a share of the profits for their away fans, other clubs could have followed suit.

Would probably be not a bad idea to receive your away support money, although teams like Kilmarnock would never go for it. I was more thinking about the spread of prize money at end of season which I think the top 2 receive a big percentage of overall pot compared to the rest. Also TV money needs a fairer distribution.

Charlie-Brown

Gate sharing was the norm in football since its inception in the 1860's until 1980 until it was changed to the current model.

You have to examine and conclude that on changing in the last 3 decades there have far more financial failures, far less competition in terms of trophy winners and a general perception which is backed up by worsening European and National team results performances over the period.

Abandoning gate sharing has coincided with a widespread malaise in terms of worsening footballing and financial performance which has even included the liquidation and failure of the biggest spending club during that period also coincidently one of the main proponents for abandoning gate sharing, forming the SPL breakaway also the heavily skewed distribution and voting model we have now.

Any sane person can see that the abandonment of the traditional means of income distribution in football has had almost universal catastrophic consequences.

Voting structure doesn't seem to be mentioned in the rules.

And no mention of structure of votes % required to pass motions etc in the articles of assoc of the SPFL, that I can see.

Yes that will change once Rangers get back into the SPL and they and Celtic will have a guaranteed 51% minimum share of the voting rights so that nobody can ever change anything without their approval just like it has always been.

Mind you having said that even if each SPL club only had one vote most of them would still be arse licking up to the old firm and still not vote for anything they did not like as they have done in the past.

Archived