USA vs Scotland at Hampden

Watt-Zeefuik

MacDonald Jardine

Poor showing from the US -- Scotland were the better team. A whole lot of clumsy touches and bad decisions in the final third by the US.

Marshall looked very shaky -- Jamie Mac definitely should have gotten the call there. Nearly spilled a goal in the 85th.

Actually Marshall looked okay.

American with Scottish ties, have visited Scotland multiple times, and got fed up trying to care about filthy rich EPL teams. (EPL is a huge fad in the US right now, and one I didn't want to get on board with.) Started following SPL, decided I wanted nothing to do with the ugly twins, went to Tynecastle, loved it.

I don't live near any MLS team, just some second and third tier US teams (one of whom I do follow casually), so I might as well follow the Famous.

:smiley2::2thumbsup:

fabienleclerq

American with Scottish ties, have visited Scotland multiple times, and got fed up trying to care about filthy rich EPL teams. (EPL is a huge fad in the US right now, and one I didn't want to get on board with.) Started following SPL, decided I wanted nothing to do with the ugly twins, went to Tynecastle, loved it.

I don't live near any MLS team, just some second and third tier US teams (one of whom I do follow casually), so I might as well follow the Famous.

Good lad!

As for the game, Scotland under strachan again look comfortable in possession and don't panic and punt it. Both full backs looked good, and I can't understand why Hutton doesn't play at villa.

Midfield done well enough but the wide men's service to fletcher was ganting! It'd be great if Darren Fletcher can get fit for the next campaign.

USA were disappointing but then they rested a few boys I think, they had no cutting edge till johansson (sp) came on. Bradley is a classy player who needs a couple of clever runners in front of him which he didn't have tonight.

MacDonald Jardine

Just back from one of the most boring games I've ever been at.

Craig Conway, International footballer. Discuss.

Missed one great chance. .obviously not left footed.

Otherwise from the TV he played okay.

Missed one great chance. .obviously not left footed.

Otherwise from the TV he played okay.

I can't believe he lasted so long. To no even hit the target from there was criminal. Crossing awful as well. GMS should have got longer.

fabienleclerq

I can't believe he lasted so long. To no even hit the target from there was criminal. Crossing awful as well. GMS should have got longer.

Agree, especially about his delivery. Thought his movement was poor also, just didn't happen for him. That said GMS looked like a wee girl build wise compared to the rest.

Good lad!

As for the game, Scotland under strachan again look comfortable in possession and don't panic and punt it. Both full backs looked good, and I can't understand why Hutton doesn't play at villa.

Midfield done well enough but the wide men's service to fletcher was ganting! It'd be great if Darren Fletcher can get fit for the next campaign.

USA were disappointing but then they rested a few boys I think, they had no cutting edge till johansson (sp) came on. Bradley is a classy player who needs a couple of clever runners in front of him which he didn't have tonight.

Yes, Bradley is the brains of the team, but the US were already resting Zusi and Donovan, and then Dempsey went out with an injury. That's basically the heart of the current US attacking midfield. Brek Shea does a decent job of creating, but his feeds into the box were consistently to the wrong man and in the wrong place (with the exception of the one late). Altidore can be great on the final touch, but he needs someone to set him up, and the crosses today were horrible. Wondolowski can get hot when he's in form, but he hasn't been lately. Way, way too much hoofball from the US today, but again I think that's because the midfield were all B-listers.

I thought Scotland were excellent through the midfield, particularly Snodgrass, but made the mistake of playing too many balls into the box through the air, where Howard is going to get those most every time (he was the only US player to actually look good today, IMO). Their best chances came attacking the fullbacks, where Brad Evans looked lost for the US.

And yes, I apologize on behalf of my countrymen for a terribly boring match.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

It's a massively improved result. Hopefully we have finally repaired our fragile confidence, and we go on to actually be a serious opposition team to whoever we play in a real tournament, from now on.

Agree, especially about his delivery. Thought his movement was poor also, just didn't happen for him. That said GMS looked like a wee girl build wise compared to the rest.

:cornette: he's hardly in a team to throw his weight around

Bad, bad miss. To not even hit the target was criminal. The one in the second half as well when he was in behind and all he had to do was roll it across goal and he missed everyone. He was gash. Either GMS should've got longer or we should've had Anya on.

Doesn't seem like I missed much by not watching any football tonight.

Didn't the USA horse us 5-0 the last time we played, might have been 5-1 so a goalless draw is an improvement.

Doesn't seem like I missed much by not watching any football tonight.

Didn't the USA horse us 5-0 the last time we played, might have been 5-1 so a goalless draw is an improvement.

5-1 in Jacksonville. US had the full team together, most Scotland players had just finished playing in Europe, and I think there was an injury or two. But nonetheless, despite supporting the US that night, I was embarrassed for Scotland. Half the team looked like they'd been out at the tiki bars until 2 PM.

fabienleclerq

:cornette: he's hardly in a team to throw his weight around

I said that right enough didn't I?I think he could do with some muscle on him otherwise he will get shoved about at that level. Nice smiley though.

I said that right enough didn't I?I think he could do with some muscle on him otherwise he will get shoved about at that level. Nice smiley though.

I think when you're the type of player he is you're rarely going to outmuscle the opposition fullback - he has the skill/speed to beat players regardless. It isn't a priority for him and he seems to be doing ok just now.

fabienleclerq

I think when you're the type of player he is you're rarely going to outmuscle the opposition fullback - he has the skill/speed to beat players regardless. It isn't a priority for him and he seems to be doing ok just now.

I keep harping on back to spurs but Defoe and Lennon were bouncing our defenders about and looked ripped. I'm not suggesting he tries to build up like Goldberg but he still needs to work on his strength.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I keep harping on back to spurs but Defoe and Lennon were bouncing our defenders about and looked ripped. I'm not suggesting he tries to build up like Goldberg but he still needs to work on his strength.

Defoe? If any of our players are physically dominated by Jermaine Defoe, I am reluctant to see them play for us in any big game ever again. He's a physically fit lad and is a very good player, but no defender should feel physically intimidated by him, FFS.

Perhaps. And it's maybe actually what he needs to take it to the next level of being upper Championship/Premier league quality. I just think speed and agility are his priorities rather than bulking up. There's a risk of misjudging the balance and going the other way, eg Andy Driver (who admittedly suffered pace-wise due to injuries too).

Norway next up on Tuesday. That'll be good. Although it would be good to try and keep some semblance of momentum going with another decent result.

Anyway, were there any decent performances from tonight? Decent game or was it turgid crap?

(Think I'll watch the Panzerarmee roll up Wembley Way and deliver some butt hurt to the chin rubbing buffoon instead.)

fabienleclerq

Defoe? If any of our players are physically dominated by Jermaine Defoe, I am reluctant to see them play for us in any big game ever again. He's a physically fit lad and is a very good player, but no defender should feel physically intimidated by him, FFS.

Did u watch the spurs game at Tynie? He was bouncing Zal about all over the shot. I never mentioned Intimidation.

fabienleclerq

Perhaps. And it's maybe actually what he needs to take it to the next level of being upper Championship/Premier league quality. I just think speed and agility are his priorities rather than bulking up. There's a risk of misjudging the balance and going the other way, eg Andy Driver (who admittedly suffered pace-wise due to injuries too).

Totally agree with you, hopefully utd have someone who knows what they're doing in that department because the laddiesgot talent.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Did u watch the spurs game at Tynie? He was bouncing Zal about all over the shot. I never mentioned Intimidation.

I was there. Don't recall him bouncing Zal all over the place though.

Conway done a lot of running, but had no end product tonight. Should add I was there. My issue was the inverted wingers. It's really doing my head in at times. Our left hand side was staffed by two right footers - Whittaker and Conway. Each always cut in as the driving to the byline and cross was not an option. Best chance to me was the Snodgrass cross from left. A few more of them we'd have scored. Mackay-Steven should've been on earlier OR Bannan and Conway should've switched to allow their stronger feet to be in a position to cross - as Snodgrass seems to be being played centrally behind the striker.

The thing which struck me was that whilst it's fantastic to see Steven Fletcher in a Scotland shirt again, it felt the system didn't suit him. Think if we're looking to play a flexible system then Fletcher may not be best suited to that. Kinda feel at Sunderland he works with other forwards and they create space for him. Didn't seem to get much support tonight. Don't quite know if it's the system not suiting him but others or him being fresh into it. We'll see.

But we definately need to see a left footer on the left. I know it's not in fashion, but we wasted a lot with all that cutting in stuff. Like you, didn't see that edge in Conway to make him an international - kinda the same with Bannan and Greer. Competent but not guys who should be regulars.

Look at players like Ronaldo, Bale and Zlatan. Skill and athleticism.

Aye, we can all do that. Look at players like Messi, Ozil and Reus.

You can't just select 3 players who are 6'+ and compare them to GMS.

Greer done ok but don't see the point in him at this level. Too old to really develop into anything & won't cut it against top opposition.

Conway was dreadful, simply not good enough at this level.

Bannan plays at CM for club, then RW for Scotland.

Snodgrass is a winger for club, CAM for Scotland.

Whittaker is also never a left-bak in his life. Need a natural leftie there IMO

Greer done ok but don't see the point in him at this level. Too old to really develop into anything & won't cut it against top opposition.

We'd have a natural left back if he wasn't wasting away in the lower divisions of the Scottish leagues.

Did McCormack get any game time? He did score 4 goals last week.

Agreed on it all bar Snodgrass. I think he done really well there. However, if Maloney is fit he should be move to the left. I'd also add Bannan should be in the squad but he's done little to merit a start. Anya, Mackay-Steven and Forrest need to be our wide options. Conway was gash.

Left back? Wallace needs to go down south. That or someone like Barry Douglas, Paul Dixon or somebody needs to be brought in.

Did McCormack get any game time? He did score 4 goals last week.

Yes. He did little. Ran a bit. But was no where near as good as Snodgrass in the position behind the striker.

The People's Chimp

I was there. Don't recall him bouncing Zal all over the place though.

Aye it was a cake walk for our defenders that night.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Aye it was a cake walk for our defenders that night.

No, it certainly was not.

However, Defoe was not bouncing Zal all over the place. :lol:

I'm married to a US citizen. We went to the game in Jacksonville last year and I didn't talk to him for a couple of days after so probably the best result for our household that neither side won !

Thought Scotland were lacking up front, and I really wanted to see Anya play but I understand he was kept off tonight as he'll be playing against Norway instead.

Bradley is the best player the Americans have got, IMHO. He reads the game well. Went to Kansas last month to see US v Jamaica and must say the American fans have come a long way and are almost like real football supporters now - tons of empty beer bottles in car park and they sang their hearts out all through the match. Hope they do well in Brazil.

kingantti1874

Agreed on it all bar Snodgrass. I think he done really well there. However, if Maloney is fit he should be move to the left. I'd also add Bannan should be in the squad but he's done little to merit a start. Anya, Mackay-Steven and Forrest need to be our wide options. Conway was gash.

Left back? Wallace needs to go down south. That or someone like Barry Douglas, Paul Dixon or somebody needs to be brought in.

Phil Bardsley will surely be first choice left back or right back

Alba gu Brath

Only saw 2nd half but Mulgrew didn't seem up to much and Greer seemed dodgy at the back.

Good performance overall though. Could go onto great things under Strachan, reletively speaking.

Only saw 2nd half but Mulgrew didn't seem up to much and Greer seemed dodgy at the back.

Good performance overall though. Could go onto great things under Strachan, reletively speaking.

Ge wasn't as good second half but Mulgrew was the best player on the park first half. Really come along enormously as a central midfielder.

Just don't let him babysit.

Archived