USA vs Scotland at Hampden

Watt-Zeefuik

Pretty much the only pairing where I won't support Scotland.

Mostly, though, I'm hoping this one will be closer than Jacksonville, which was downright embarrassing for US-based Scotland fans. There's plenty of reasons to think this will be more of a dogfight, including Donovan, Dempsey, Zusi, and other regulars sitting it out, the location change, the schedule difference (the last one was at the end of the European schedule but the middle of the MLS schedule, whereas this one is the opposite), and the fact that Scott Brown and others probably won't be nearly as hungover while not vacationing in Florida.

Predictions? I'm thinking 2-1 USA at the moment, but then I would....

Heading to this tomorrow as always.

2-0 Scotland.

Liking the look of Naisy up top on his tod with Anya on one wing and Snodgrass on the other.

First time I've been to Hampden to see anyone but the mighty and glorius Heart of Midlothian. First Scotland international. Tickets were reasonably priced so thought why not?

Hoping for a Scotland win, hopefully a good game as well. A win would be good for signs of progress, especially against a team who thumped us last out.

Going to say - after a spirited game against Belgium, and good showings in Macedonia and Croatia - that we may sneak a 2-1 win.

The Treasurer

A meaningless friendly that no-one really wanted on TV at the same time as WC play-off involving two of the best players in the world. Hmmm I really can't decide which game to watch

Jambof3tornado

A meaningless friendly that no-one really wanted on TV at the same time as WC play-off involving two of the best players in the world. Hmmm I really can't decide which game to watch

Bet the scotland game is better.

Only because I'll be watching portugal v zlatan!!!!

So Make Some Noise..

Can see a confident performance from the boys tonight. As well as Naisy done in the last game I'd prefer to see Fletcher up top.

Will be there tonight, taking my laddie to his first Scotland game, hopefully get a better result than the last tome the two sides met.

What channel is the game on ?

Sky Sports 2. I think it will be a decent game, and hopefully a good confident Scotland performance. 2-1 Scotland.

The Treasurer

Bet the scotland game is better.

Only because I'll be watching portugal v zlatan!!!!

I find doing regular "score checks" on other TV games usually guarantees a goal in the game I'm mainly watching !!

mulleted_jambo

Not really a meaningless friendly. If we can beat USA and Norway(probably not very likely but one of the two would help) it will give us a big boost in the world rankings. It could potentially mean being in a higher pot for the Euro 2016 qualifying which is drawn in February. If we were to win both it could take us up to about 25th in the world which could mean the second pot. I don't think there are really any meaningless friendlies in international football.

Having said that if I wasn't working tonight I would be flicking between the Scotland game and Portugal v Sweden.

Not really a meaningless friendly. If we can beat USA and Norway(probably not very likely but one of the two would help) it will give us a big boost in the world rankings. It could potentially mean being in a higher pot for the Euro 2016 qualifying which is drawn in February. If we were to win both it could take us up to about 25th in the world which could mean the second pot. I don't think there are really any meaningless friendlies in international football.

Having said that if I wasn't working tonight I would be flicking between the Scotland game and Portugal v Sweden.

Pretty sure the pots are already decided based on the Euro qualifiers, games that take place after don't count.

Still hopefully we can turn in another good performance and keep the momentum going, will be good to see Fletcher back up top for us as well.

mulleted_jambo

Pretty sure the pots are already decided based on the Euro qualifiers, games that take place after don't count.

Still hopefully we can turn in another good performance and keep the momentum going, will be good to see Fletcher back up top for us as well.

I was under the impression that it was after this round of games. Which would probably make sense as there are still teams playing conpetative games in the play-off's.

I could be wrong though. I can't find anything that confirms either way.

mulleted_jambo

I was under the impression that it was after this round of games. Which would probably make sense as there are still teams playing conpetative games in the play-off's.

I could be wrong though. I can't find anything that confirms either way.

Okay it looks like I was wrong. The Euro's only takes in to account competitive games and doesn't use the FIFA world rankings to decide the pots. They use a different system.

It looks like we will be in pot 4. A bit annoying cause it if was the FIFA world rankings we would probably be in 3 possibly 2 if we win tonight.

So Make Some Noise..

I love how people with 'no interest' need to come into a thread of 'no interest' to them and state that they have 'no interest'.

Great, thanks for your input. Perhaps just leave these threads to people who do have an interest to discuss said shared interest.

Looking forward to this one. Have persuaded numerous overconfident Yanks from my football team to take the afternoon off work to watch it. For that reason, it's bound to be 0-0.

fabienleclerq

Pretty much the only pairing where I won't support Scotland.

Mostly, though, I'm hoping this one will be closer than Jacksonville, which was downright embarrassing for US-based Scotland fans. There's plenty of reasons to think this will be more of a dogfight, including Donovan, Dempsey, Zusi, and other regulars sitting it out, the location change, the schedule difference (the last one was at the end of the European schedule but the middle of the MLS schedule, whereas this one is the opposite), and the fact that Scott Brown and others probably won't be nearly as hungover while not vacationing in Florida.

Predictions? I'm thinking 2-1 USA at the moment, but then I would....

Are you an ex-pat or American? If its the former why don't you support Scotland? And if its the latter why do you support the Hearts?!

Also good posting time!

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Scotland team for those interested:

Marshall; Hutton, Greer, Hanley, Whittaker; Brown, Mulgrew; Snodgrass, Bannan, Conway; Fletcher

Alwaysinourshadows

Scotland team for those interested:

Marshall; Hutton, Greer, Hanley, Whittaker; Brown, Mulgrew; Snodgrass, Bannan, Conway; Fletcher

Gordon Greer? Feck sake

Wonder why that wee fud singing the national anthem thinks it's okay to change the words to the song. :seething:

I'm intrigued!

Not watching.....wee fud could be anyone from Micky Weir to Chic Young.....em...who is it?

Dean Winchester

I'm intrigued!

Not watching.....wee fud could be anyone from Micky Weir to Chic Young.....em...who is it?

Someone from X Factor. I think that pretty much says it all.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Wonder why that wee fud singing the national anthem thinks it's okay to change the words to the song. :seething:

Changed the words?! What did he say? (Sing?)

Dean Winchester

Changed the words?! What did he say? (Sing?)

Said light instead of like and "in the past we must remain"

Sure there was something else as well but I can't remember it

Get internationals back to midweek. Sick of the proper football being interrupted for this rubbish.

This. I couldnt give less than a flying **** as to how Scotland do tonight.

Are you an ex-pat or American? If its the former why don't you support Scotland? And if its the latter why do you support the Hearts?!

Also good posting time!

American with Scottish ties, have visited Scotland multiple times, and got fed up trying to care about filthy rich EPL teams. (EPL is a huge fad in the US right now, and one I didn't want to get on board with.) Started following SPL, decided I wanted nothing to do with the ugly twins, went to Tynecastle, loved it.

I don't live near any MLS team, just some second and third tier US teams (one of whom I do follow casually), so I might as well follow the Famous.

Chad Sexington

Finally in front of a TV. Sounds like US fortunate to be level.

Yep. Great save from a Snodgrass free kick by Howard has kept them level.

Bit of a snorefest. USA don't look too bothered and although we're passing about ok not much cutting edge which is disappiinting with Fletcher there. Never thought i'd miss Naismith :( Not impressed with Conway.

And the wee X factor fud totally killed the chance of the fans joining in, why do they do it just get the pipe bands back :)

Alba gu Brath

Decent result against a good team. Some good fitba from Strachan's team.

Look forward to some of our ane young team getting a shot at the next qualifying campaign.

MacDonald Jardine

Another decent result against a better team than us.

Slowly improving each time.

It is an improvement. I hate to say it but Strachan os doing a far better job than Levein did.

Poor showing from the US -- Scotland were the better team. A whole lot of clumsy touches and bad decisions in the final third by the US.

Marshall looked very shaky -- Jamie Mac definitely should have gotten the call there. Nearly spilled a goal in the 85th.

Archived