Romanov pins faith on controversial Chilean he values at ?8m

slfjambo

Published Date: 11 May 2008

By Ewan Murray

VLADIMIR ROMANOV'S belief in Mauricio Pinilla has been emphasised by a release clause inserted in the Chilean's new contract at Hearts, set at a staggering ?8m.

Pinilla, whose two years in Edinburgh have been notable for controversy and injury rather than eye-catching form on the field, has agreed terms to stay at Hearts on a deal worth a basic ?12,000 a week. Over the potential four years of its duration,

therefore, the contract could cost the Tynecastle outfit ?2.5m, on top of the ?600,000 in salary payments they have already bestowed on a player who has made only eight appearances in maroon, scoring twice. Further payments will be made to the player, formerly owned jointly with Internazionale, on a performance-related basis.

Romanov, however, believes the investment is worthwhile. Terms of Pinilla's deal include a value at which Hearts would release him to another club; that value, US$16m, would on face value appear unjustifiably high. Moreover, the Hearts owner's son Roman has invited Pinilla to his native Lithuania next month for a holiday. "For me this season is over," said Pinilla, who is currently recovering from his latest injury, knee ligament damage. "The doctors don't want to endanger my recovery and I'll return to playing next season in the SPL. Despite this, (Roman] Romanov (the Hearts chairman] has been very loyal to me and has even invited me and my family to stay with him in his house a month before pre-season commences."

Vladimir Romanov's decision to retain Pinilla, a player who played a total of 51 times in five years before moving to Scotland, is all the more controversial because of comments made by Roman at the club's recent annual general meeting. There, Romanov jnr specifically said Hearts would seek to remove at least five high-earners from the payroll as they had not offered value for money.

The Hearts owner's plan, almost certainly, is that Pinilla can enjoy a trouble-free season 2008-9, after which time Romanov can recoup at least a percentage of his money. Given recent history, it is a risky strategy.

Romanov has already validated a ?35,000 bill for Pinilla to receive clinical treatment, believed to be for depression. With that in mind, the player who had an offer from Everton de Vi?a del Mar in his homeland and two from Italy ? including Lazio ? insists he owes a debt to Romanov.

"I'm very happy with the leadership of the club (Hearts]," claimed Pinilla, "All I want is to play again to reward all the affection they have given me. I know that, with this contract, much of my own and my family's future is assured."

Whether or not the mercurial striker has any genuine aspirations of repaying Hearts' faith is considerably less clear.

scots civil war

"For me this season is over," said Pinilla, who is currently recovering from his latest injury, knee ligament damage.

Romanov has already validated a ?35,000 bill for Pinilla to receive clinical treatment, believed to be for depression.

I know that, with this contract, much of my own and my family's future is assured."

.......................why does romanov have blind faith in certain people who blatantly dont deserve it,and yet treats the lifeblood of the club with such contempt ..............he will never get 8m for this guy,even if he has a consistent season next year.

walton1983

By Ewan Murray

VLADIMIR ROMANOV'S belief in Mauricio Pinilla has been emphasised by a release clause inserted in the Chilean's new contract at Hearts, set at a staggering ?8m.

Pinilla, whose two years in Edinburgh have been notable for controversy and injury rather than eye-catching form on the field, has agreed terms to stay at Hearts on a deal worth a basic ?12,000 a week. Over the potential four years of its duration,

therefore, the contract could cost the Tynecastle outfit ?2.5m, on top of the ?600,000 in salary payments they have already bestowed on a player who has made only eight appearances in maroon, scoring twice. Further payments will be made to the player, formerly owned jointly with Internazionale, on a performance-related basis.

Romanov, however, believes the investment is worthwhile. Terms of Pinilla's deal include a value at which Hearts would release him to another club; that value, US$16m, would on face value appear unjustifiably high. Moreover, the Hearts owner's son Roman has invited Pinilla to his native Lithuania next month for a holiday. "For me this season is over," said Pinilla, who is currently recovering from his latest injury, knee ligament damage. "The doctors don't want to endanger my recovery and I'll return to playing next season in the SPL. Despite this, (Roman] Romanov (the Hearts chairman] has been very loyal to me and has even invited me and my family to stay with him in his house a month before pre-season commences."

Vladimir Romanov's decision to retain Pinilla, a player who played a total of 51 times in five years before moving to Scotland, is all the more controversial because of comments made by Roman at the club's recent annual general meeting. There, Romanov jnr specifically said Hearts would seek to remove at least five high-earners from the payroll as they had not offered value for money.

The Hearts owner's plan, almost certainly, is that Pinilla can enjoy a trouble-free season 2008-9, after which time Romanov can recoup at least a percentage of his money. Given recent history, it is a risky strategy.

Romanov has already validated a ?35,000 bill for Pinilla to receive clinical treatment, believed to be for depression. With that in mind, the player who had an offer from Everton de Vi?a del Mar in his homeland and two from Italy ? including Lazio ? insists he owes a debt to Romanov.

"I'm very happy with the leadership of the club (Hearts]," claimed Pinilla, "All I want is to play again to reward all the affection they have given me. I know that, with this contract, much of my own and my family's future is assured."

Whether or not the mercurial striker has any genuine aspirations of repaying Hearts' faith is considerably less clear.

It's like saying "Let's rob Hearts of as much money as we can"

Shambolic mess

Charlie-Brown
It's like saying "Let's rob Hearts of as much money as we can"

Shambolic mess

Except they have to pay it out of their own pocket unless anyone else will ever assume Hearts debts.....whether the decision to re-sign Pinilla makes any sense only time will tell but your comment was just daft considering Ukio Bankas have been subsidising Hearts overspending for the last 3 years.

Guest JamboRobbo

AS I said at the time, we should've cut our losses on this boy.

He's hardly played in 5 years, and we're giving him 12k a week. I just hope it's Vlad that is paying rather than Hearts.

I expect it's al being lumped on Hearts debt though.

Except they have to pay it out of their own pocket unless anyone else will ever assume Hearts debts.....whether the decision to re-sign Pinilla makes any sense only time will tell but your comment was just daft considering Ukio Bankas have been subsidising Hearts overspending for the last 3 years.

....and do you agree that this is a reckless strategy sanctioned by Vladimir Romanov?

Charlie-Brown
AS I said at the time, we should've cut our losses on this boy.

He's hardly played in 5 years, and we're giving him 12k a week. I just hope it's Vlad that is paying rather than Hearts.

I expect it's al being lumped on Hearts debt though.

In your scenario then JR if VR was paying should we ever get a transfer fee for Pinilla who would get the transfer fee Romanov or Hearts?

Guest JamboRobbo
In your scenario then JR if VR was paying should we ever get a transfer fee for Pinilla who would get the transfer fee Romanov or Hearts?

Hearts of course. As it is our shop window he is in.

If Vlad ain't going to pay it out his own pocket, he shouldn't have been recklessly spending money Hearts didn't have for the past few years.

If he want to recklessly spend HIS money, fine. If he wants to continue to recklessly spend HMFC's money, i'd rather he just ****ed off now before he makes things any worse than he already has.

The Old Tolbooth

Unbelievable!

Just when you think you've seen it all, along comes our illustrious bampot leader an issues a statement like this! Pinnilla is a wage thief, there has been nothing wrong with this guy and if I made the law, I'd have him charged with fraud!

It's extremely worrying that this man is attempting (and failing badly) to run our club!

Guest casper

Kind of blows you theory about binning the high earners and relying on youngsters out the water.

Charlie-Brown
Kind of blows you theory about binning the high earners and relying on youngsters out the water.

Not really as I bet we will see more youngsters and bosman signings in the team than expensively bought in & high earning players....I think Pinilla is an exception and they want to recoup money on him if at all possible.

Guest casper
Not really as I bet we will see more youngsters and bosman signings in the team than expensively bought in & high earning players....I think Pinilla is an exception and they want to recoup money on him if at all possible.

But you said there was no money to pay high earners.

You can't have it both ways.

Either there is money to pay big wages or there isn't.

This story suggests there is.

Charlie-Brown
But you said there was no money to pay high earners.

You can't have it both ways.

Either there is money to pay big wages or there isn't.

This story suggests there is.

No I said it didn't make sense to fund a lot of high earners when the club revenue remains static & the wage bill way above what we can afford without massive increases in losses & debt and those players under perform.....I'm not certain if re-signing Pinilla makes any sense only the future will tell if we can get a transfer fee for him to recoup some money or if he continues to hardly ever play?

Guest JamboRobbo
.I'm not certain if re-signing Pinilla makes any sense only the future will tell if we can get a transfer fee for him to recoup some money or if he continues to hardly ever play?

In other words, you know fine well it's a reckless decision, but you hope we might get lucky and hit the jackpot and justify it. ;)

Spellczech

All this constant fuss about Pinilla, but who are more of a waste of money? an injured Pinilla or 5 players on 20% of his salary who are fit but not good enough or interested enough to play for the first team? One is a risk, the other are liabilities.

Charlie-Brown
In other words, you know fine well it's a reckless decision, but you hope we might get lucky and hit the jackpot and justify it. ;)

You are correct in a sense JR - but the choices are a) definitely lose all our money B) possibly regain some of our money

Guest JamboRobbo
You are correct in a sense JR - but the choices are a) definitely lose all our money B) possibly regain some of our money

or c) cut our losses.

By taking option b, we are risking losing more money to try and regain some that we lost before......and the odds appear to suggest we're more likely to lose than win.....so it seems a bit of a stupid gamble IMO.

ford donald

lost for words!shows what a incompetant tool romanov is.if he was running a

company he would have been sacked long time ago..for all you supportrs who have renewed your season tickets your are financing this!:o

Signing any professional footballer is a gamble, reckless or otherwise. After yesterday's fiasco (I should say the whole exhausting season), I can't think of a single other player on our books from whom there would be even the slightest prospect of recovering a significant investment. If Vlad is mad enough to risk more of his own fortune on Pinilla, who I think just might be a superstar (at least in SPL terms), then good luck to him. At least he's a player who is potentially exciting - more than can be said for Elliott, Kes2tits etc etc.

Without a decent manager to run the club, though, I accept that the chances of MP delivering on his potential are minimal. I wonder what odds the bookies would offer against MP scoring 20 or more goals next season in the SPL? With a proven, able manager in place and a fit, motivated Pinigol, that could be a fun bet.

By Ewan Murray

id say this one is a very SUSPECT DEVICE.

Guest JamboRobbo
Signing any professional footballer is a gamble, reckless or otherwise. After yesterday's fiasco (I should say the whole exhausting season), I can't think of a single other player on our books from whom there would be even the slightest prospect of recovering a significant investment. If Vlad is mad enough to risk more of his own fortune on Pinilla, who I think just might be a superstar (at least in SPL terms), then good luck to him. At least he's a player who is potentially exciting - more than can be said for Elliott, Kes2tits etc etc.

Without a decent manager to run the club, though, I accept that the chances of MP delivering on his potential are minimal. I wonder what odds the bookies would offer against MP scoring 20 or more goals next season in the SPL? With a proven, able manager in place and a fit, motivated Pinigol, that could be a fun bet.

If it was his fortune, and wasn't just going on Hearts debt, I'd agree with you.

rossi_1983

Much less of a blunder by Romanov than the signings of Beslija and Makela on 6k per week each, at least this one has the potential to offer a return!

Pinilla must have something if he was interesting clubs in Serie A. I think in the all too brief glimpses we have seen of him prove that.

I think it would be a much more realistic plan if the sell on clause was around ?4m and not the ?8m reported.

Craig Gordon was an exception, not a rule, in terms of the fee that non old firm clubs in Scotland can command for their players.

We'll see next season whether Pinilla really wants to repay us and also further his own career.

Ukio Bankas aren't subsidising Hearts.

They're loaning us money which is being added to our debt.

walton1983

No they have not. Unless you have not noticed Hearts debt has increased to over 36m under Romanov and will probably be around the same for the year ending this July. But for the sale of Gordon it would have been well over 40m. It's you that's daft if you think that Hearts can employ players on 12,000 per week. For the record Ukio Bankas are making more money out of Hearts in interest than any other part of their business. What happened to the agm statement that we were reducing the wage bill.

super_vlad
If it was his fortune, and wasn't just going on Hearts debt, I'd agree with you.

Hearts and romonov are the same ! What ever debts are own by hearts are owe by Romanov as well ! When he reached 80 % percent of the shares he became liabilable for all of the debt ! Look at man u, they are in 800 million in debt and will go out and borrow another 60 million in the summer to fund new players ! If anything the way it is financed at man u is far more dangeorus and the glazers have being allow to get away with it !

Charlie-Brown

Precisely - UKIO cover the difference between expenditure & income that allows Hearts to overspend, previously the Bank of Scotland bore this burden. They are/were providing the money to pay the bills.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Correct.

Honestly, this concept is like hitting a brick wall.

Say it as often as you can because it takes a few time to get through to a lot of people:

Romanov and UBIG have put no money into Hearts - zero, nada, zilch, not one penny.

Even money from transfer sales doesn't appear to have been put back into the club (unless we have to wait for the next set of accounts - that'll be three years in a row now we've heard that excuse :rolleyes:)

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Precisely - UKIO cover the difference between expenditure & income that allows Hearts to overspend, previously the Bank of Scotland bore this burden. They are/were providing the money to pay the bills.

They are not providing any money.

They're letting the club (themselves) spend Hearts' money. They could ask for it all back at any moment.

This is ridiculous.

It's like saying Bank of Scotland subsidise my life - they pay for my house, my holidays, my car, my TV etc. Nice of them, to pay for all of that!

Charlie-Brown
Correct.

Honestly, this concept is like hitting a brick wall.

Say it as often as you can because it takes a few time to get through to a lot of people:

Romanov and UBIG have put no money into Hearts - zero, nada, zilch, not one penny.

Even money from transfer sales doesn't appear to have been put back into the club (unless we have to wait for the next set of accounts - that'll be three years in a row now we've heard that excuse :rolleyes:)

That's nonsense EH - UBIG had to BUY shares to own the club, they had to BUY debt of HBOS & SMG, they have to find the money to loan Hearts - A LOT of money that Hearts have spent - Our debt is our IOU to them.

Regards the transfer fees both Skacel & Hartley transfers were accounted for in the accounts for 2005/06 & 2006/07 - the Gordon money will not appear in these accounts as his transfer happened AFTER 31st July which is the end of Hearts accounting year.

Charlie-Brown
They are not providing any money.

They're letting the club (themselves) spend Hearts' money. They could ask for it all back at any moment.

This is ridiculous.

It's like saying Bank of Scotland subsidise my life - they pay for my house, my holidays, my car, my TV etc. Nice of them, to pay for all of that!

If the bank didn't provide the money would you be able to buy these things?

I reckon i've worked out why Romanov's resigning Pinilla. Roman Romanov hasnt lost his virginity yet and Vlad thinks that if he hangs around with Pinilla long enough he's bound to get some tips or maybe even some of Pinilla's conquests ugly mates. Hence the reason Pinilla has been invited over to Roman's house in Lithuania.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
That's nonsense EH - UBIG had to BUY shares to own the club, they had to BUY debt of HBOS & SMG, they have to find the money to loan Hearts - A LOT of money that Hearts have spent - Our debt is our IOU to them.

Regards the transfer fees both Skacel & Hartley transfers were accounted for in the accounts for 2005/06 & 2006/07 - the Gordon money will not appear in these accounts as his transfer happened AFTER 31st July which is the end of Hearts accounting year.

Buying shares is not giving money to Hearts.

You can't say "subside Hearts" on one post and then talk about buying shares two posts later as if that somehow proves the point. It's two completely different things.

Of course they have to find the money to loan Hearts. But, as you say yourself, it's an IOU. We have to give it back to them. It's our debt, therefore it's our money they've spent. They could technically ask for it back tomorrow.

I don't understand your point - you say we have an IOU to them of our entire debt, yet you also say they are subsidising us tonnes of cash. This is a contradiction.

If UBIG hit serious financial trouble tomorrow and needed to call in their debt we would owe them over ?30m which they could legally take from us by almost any means necessary. To me, that means they've been spending the club's money. And given the debt has increased by the same or more than we've spent over the past three years that means they've put nothing in.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
If the bank didn't provide the money would you be able to buy these things?

Is this for real?

Do you think banks are charities or something?

No, but they will want it all back, with interest!

And when I've paid that off I will be out of pocket, not them.

Charlie-Brown
Is this for real?

Do you think banks are charities or something?

No, but they will want it all back, with interest!

And when I've paid that off I will be out of pocket, not them.

How will you be out of pocket? You will have acquired assets you couldn't otherwise afford unless you saved up for them, so the price of allowing you to have these things earlier than you would normally afford is the interest payment on the debt that is a commercial arrangment you can accept or decline, but if you do borrow money it is the bank who are out of pocket until you've paid it back and if you don't pay it back they're out of pocket & the added hassle & cost of debt recovery.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
How will you be out of pocket? You will have acquired assets you couldn't otherwise afford unless you saved up for them, so the price of allowing you to have these things earlier than you would normally afford is the interest payment on the debt that is a commercial arrangment you can accept or decline, but if you do borrow money it is the bank who are out of pocket until you've paid it back and if you don't pay it back they're out of pocket & the added hassle & cost of debt recovery.

What's happening at Hearts is like some guy from HBOS coming into my house, telling me I need a new extension, new TV, new kitchen, new car, new decor, caravan and bike, buying it all and then handing me the bill and telling me I owe them for the lot.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Precisely. And when the bit in bold happens it will be Hearts who are out of pocket.

Charlie-Brown
Buying shares is not giving money to Hearts.

You can't say "subside Hearts" on one post and then talk about buying shares two posts later as if that somehow proves the point. It's two completely different things.

Of course they have to find the money to loan Hearts. But, as you say yourself, it's an IOU. We have to give it back to them. It's our debt, therefore it's our money they've spent. They could technically ask for it back tomorrow.

I don't understand your point - you say we have an IOU to them of our entire debt, yet you also say they are subsidising us tonnes of cash. This is a contradiction.

If UBIG hit serious financial trouble tomorrow and needed to call in their debt we would owe them over ?30m which they could legally take from us by almost any means necessary. To me, that means they've been spending the club's money. And given the debt has increased by the same or more than we've spent over the past three years that means they've put nothing in.

If UKIO didn't provide loans Hearts would not have money to spend other than that they generate themselves which has been approx ?10.5M total in the last 2 financial years which the accounts have been published, prior to that the Bank of Scotland allowed Hearts to spend more than they earned.

Every penny has to be accounted for - there are only 2 ways of getting money into any business that is capital or loans, thus far Ukio have provided loans but Sergei Fedotovas said on the recent free-to-view interview after the AGM that they were looking at the tax & financial implications of converting debt into shares so if this happens would they then have still put no money in?

Charlie-Brown
Precisely. And when the bit in bold happens it will be Hearts who are out of pocket.

What debt have Hearts repaid in the last 10 years?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
If UKIO didn't provide loans Hearts would not have money to spend other than that they generate themselves which has been approx ?10.5M total in the last 2 financial years which the accounts have been published, prior to that the Bank of Scotland allowed Hearts to spend more than they earned.

Every penny has to be accounted for - there are only 2 ways of getting money into any business that is capital or loans, thus far Ukio have provided loans but Sergei Fedotovas said on the recent free-to-view interview after the AGM that they were looking at the tax & financial implications of converting debt into shares so if this happens would they then have still put no money in?

Converting debt into shares would be a good thing, if it ever happens. The list of things the Romanovs have said they'll do and haven't is frighteningly long. I will seriously believe that when I see it. In 2004 they talked of putting lots of capital into Hearts - still waiting.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
What debt have Hearts repaid in the last 10 years?

So, you're saying we don't have to repay this debt?

Guest casper

More likely out of business.

Charlie-Brown
So, you're saying we don't have to repay this debt?

Legally we have to repay it, just as all our assets belong to the Shareholders and we OWE them the capital they have provided should they ever decide to wind up the business, all Capital & Loans have to be repaid (in theory) whether the providers of finance actually ever ASK for their money to be repaid is a different matter.

As far as I know Hearts have not been able to repay or reduce their debts in the last dozen years, so are we actually ever paying any of it back?

Guest casper
Hearts and romonov are the same ! What ever debts are own by hearts are owe by Romanov as well ! When he reached 80 % percent of the shares he became liabilable for all of the debt ! Look at man u, they are in 800 million in debt and will go out and borrow another 60 million in the summer to fund new players ! If anything the way it is financed at man u is far more dangeorus and the glazers have being allow to get away with it !

Hearts and romanov are not the same thing.

If Hearts go out of business tomorrow romanov will not have to pay the debts. I don't think he personally owns a single share.

The company would be wound up with the majority of the debts paid out of the sale of the ground. Nothing would come out of his pocket.

Do you think if Virgin went bust that Richard Branson would have to pay all their debts?

super_vlad
Hearts and romanov are not the same thing.

If Hearts go out of business tomorrow romanov will not have to pay the debts. I don't think he personally owns a single share.

The company would be wound up with the majority of the debts paid out of the sale of the ground. Nothing would come out of his pocket.

Do you think if Virgin went bust that Richard Branson would have to pay all their debts?

I think you will find that the company that owns the hearts shares has only one shareholder. the assets are only worth 18 million so where will the rest come from ? Are you telling me that the rest will be written off ? Why would Bankas let this go on with out gurantees that the loans will be repaid either by hearts or vlad ! Hearts are not a public company, for all end purposes we are currently a sole trader who bears all liability ! If Richard Branson own more than 80 % of Virign then yes he would have to pay off all debts thru the courts !

Bednars money has payed for Pinilla to stay for at least one more season. This is the only reason why he's been kept on. 8 million is far too much for at present but if scores for fun and shows his talent who nows what his value would be.

Guest casper
I think you will find that the company that owns the hearts shares has only one shareholder. the assets are only worth 18 million so where will the rest come from ? Are you telling me that the rest will be written off ? Why would Bankas let this go on with out gurantees that the loans will be repaid either by hearts or vlad ! Hearts are not a public company, for all end purposes we are currently a sole trader who bears all liability ! If Richard Branson own more than 80 % of Virign then yes he would have to pay off all debts thru the courts !

Brooks Mileson is not paying all the Gretna debts.

Gretnas creditors will get a percentage of what is owed after sale of the club or the assets, some estimates as low as 10%. So yes, some will be written off. Same thing would happen if Hearts went bust.

You can be rest assured that romanov would take no personal hit.

Father Tiresias

The man is stark raving mad!!!

Archived