Little luxuries

GlasgoJambo

What things are you willing to spend a few more pennies on which are worth the extra expense?

A few I can think of are:

Carr's Water Biscuits - no other cracker comes close

Silver Rizlas

Czech/German lager

Maldon Salt

Good white wine

Hannibal Lecter

First Class rail travel. Even though I usually purchase advance tickets can still work out a bit more than standard.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

A nice bit of steak.

Good beer as mentioned above.

Hand cut crisps (Tyrrels preferably)

Shirts - I've bought cheap before and regretted it, pain in the arse to iron and don't fit right.

Hannibal Lecter
A nice bit of steak.

Good beer as mentioned above.

Hand cut crisps (Tyrrels preferably)

Shirts - I've bought cheap before and regretted it, pain in the arse to iron and don't fit right.

I love the Tyrell salt and vinegar crisps.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

A nice bit of steak.

Have swung round to that recently too - only thing is apart from cost I'm not best sure how to identify better bits. Chefs have told me sirloin has the most flavour but I couldn't say if M&S is better than Lidl for example. Any tips?

Have swung round to that recently too - only thing is apart from cost I'm not best sure how to identify better bits. Chefs have told me sirloin has the most flavour but I couldn't say if M&S is better than Lidl for example. Any tips?

this is the nicest steak I have had. nothing compares for flavour. the fillets are immense. I dont like pink meat normally but would eat this practically rare - http://www.westingourmet.co.uk/buy-meat-cuts/buy-steaks-online/

Go to a good butcher. There are still a few out there. I like the whole ceremony of picking out the bit of meat and the chat with the butcher.

Go to a good butcher. There are still a few out there. I like the whole ceremony of picking out the bit of meat and the chat with the butcher.

Anything on the colour?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Life's too short for cheap bevvy, it's quality over quantity every time for this cat!

Sorry no, I'm pretty ignorant and go by the premise that the dearer it is the better it will be.

Some usefull tips above though that I'll be taking note of :thumbsup:

Anything on the colour?

Dark and marbled probably. The thin streaks of fat through it are meant to melt in cooking and give more flavour. They reckon a well hung steak should almost smell like it's gone off. I personally prefer a rump over a sirloin (it's juicier) and have it done medium. Fillet is obviously better but I don't find the extra cost worth it. Flat Iron is a good choice for a change if you come across it. I only ever order a steak in a good restaurant as pubs and average fare type places make a mess of it more often than not.

Still on the subject of steak I had a Kobi steak in Manchester one time and it was without doubt the most awesome piece of meat I've ever tasted. The knife went through it like butter and it just melted in the mouth.

Cost ?50 though :o

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I'm a big fan of your ribeye and a flank/hanger steak if you can get one.

Tomorrow's dinner is steaks from the butcher, skinny fries and home made bernaise all washed down with a great bottle of red

Underwear. I can't be doing with cheap pants. Luckily TK Maxx normally has a decent choice beyond the generic Calvin Klein stuff.

Chocolates, although I do not indulge as much as in the past, when I do I like to buy good quality chocolates.

The Old Tolbooth

Brilliant advice, for the best meats always go to a butcher and never a supermarket!

Toilet rolls for me, I buy expensive loo rolls cos I like my piles to be comfortable and not ravaged by sandpaper!

Good sausages

Venison steaks (or just good beef steaks as above)

Nice wine

Champagne

Good gin

Good cheeses

Good quality cured meats

Olives

I'm not allowed in Valvona and Crolla without a chaperone.

Sometimes, if I'm not working the next day, I buy a 4 pack of Skol lager and have one or two before bed.

Guest C00l K1d

I still stand by Andersons in leith.

Anything that comes out of there tastes amazing if cooked right.

Another good butcher, especially for game is Bowers in Stockbridge, I get loin of venison out of there, always been excellent.

The Old Tolbooth

Common sense surely!

You would think huh? The amount of people I see buying stacks of meat in supermarkets alarms me though, butcher is the way to go.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Malt whisky, continental lager, real ale , coffee , jeans, watches.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Exotic foreign stuff like Ribena, Marmite, Heinz Tomato Soup and Heinz Baked Beans (it was a shock to me when I first moved to the US to find that the last two were not readily available in stores). Luckily one of our local supermarkets has a British section so I'm sorted for all four items.

5-1 memorabilia. Although that's technically an essential rather than a luxury.

Kellogg's cereals not supermarket versions. Loads of other things but mind gone blank

A certain brand of coffee that comes in capsules.

Islay Malts.

Not sure if it counts but freshly laundered, ironed pillowcase.

Proper shaving kit. Wee bic razors and the like are for scaffs.

Any one who wet shaves with cartridge razor blades is a mug

Archived