Training this week

realistic jambo

realistic jambo

Just wondered if anyone knew the days and time of training this week. Being the school holidays thought I might take the kids up.

Also where do you go at Riccarton?

We_are_the_Hearts

10:30 - 12? Is that it? Surely that's not enough time to train, work on tactics, positioning, set pieces? As well as individual practice?

Jambof3tornado

10:30 - 12? Is that it? Surely that's not enough time to train, work on tactics, positioning, set pieces? As well as individual practice?

They need time for nandos, bookies, tattoo palour, twitter etc etc.

I always used to wonder about the length of time the players trained for and was always an advocate of full days training. However I read an interesting article about how Spanish training methods focused on an intense and purposeful training session that was about 1 hour 30.

In no way am I saying our sessions will be like that just thought I'd drop it in. Will try and find the article.

fabienleclerq

That's what I was thinking! Fair enough 1 1/2 hours training but tactical stuff and looking at the opposition and set pieces etc you'd think it'd be longer.

How does 1.5 hours compare to, say, a top EPL team? I would really hope that players stayed behind to work on conditioning and skills/general fitness. Just saw a documentary on Ronaldo and they were saying that when he was at Manu Utd he stayed behind after training to work on free-kicks, tricks etc.

As Strachan mentioned this week, players need to work harder in order to be successful. Watching the documentary on Ronaldo on itv4 tonight highlighted the point, hard work, focus, spending extra time honing your skills. Not sure there are many young players prepared to invest in getting to the very top.

They need time for nandos, bookies, tattoo palour, twitter etc etc.

:D

Shamefully I was in Nandos at lunch today and McHattie was in having food.

I used to go the Gym at the Almondvale centre in Livvy at lunchtimes and a lot of the Livvy youth team used to come in most days for extra cardio and strength work.

Some of the boys I remember doing this are Snodgrass, Dorrans and Scott Boyd.

It just goes to show that hard work, aligned with not a little talent, can pay dividends.

Our training was the first thing Paulo Sergio changed when he was manager. He was appalled at how little we trained.

Locke has went back to how it was.

I'm sure the top teams like man u etc don;t train longer than 1.5 hours. Apparently the optimal time to train. A lot of the days they will have other things on I assume- gym work, classroom type tactics and stuff? The 1.5 hours is purely on the football pitch.

Gregory House M.D.

Wait, you mean we train on the playing fields for 1.5 hours and because of this that must be the only work they do? :cornette:

Folk thinking they should be working a 40 hour week. :cornette:

Folk jumping to the conclusion that the time people can see them on the training pitch is all the time they spend there a day. :cornette:

Folk using Paulo's reign as an example of how to train despite his ubertrained outfit struggling for any consistency in the league :cornette:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I think they should should practice kicking the Football into the big onion bag.

Good idea this. They could maybe get someone to stand in front of said bag and keep it out too?

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Good idea this. They could maybe get someone to stand in front of said bag and keep it out too?

No, no, no !!!

Parry it straight back at them so they can have another shot.

Jamie-MacDonald-enjoys-a-training-session-at-Riccarton-1791816.jpg

Mourinho bases his sessions on 1 hour 30 as a game only last 1 hour 30. Theyre out on the pitch for 90mins training but then theyre in the gym in the afternoon. I'd imagine that looking at the oppo etc doesnt take place on the training pitch too. Surely folk dont think they should be outside training for hours and hours eh?

I know the youth squad spends time in the afternoon in the gym or doing extra training. This all started by Denis a few years back & inspired the young lads to do it. From what I seen, a lot of the older players did not bother doing extra gym work & many only did the 1.5 hours on the training pitch

Wait, you mean we train on the playing fields for 1.5 hours and because of this that must be the only work they do? :cornette:

Folk jumping to the conclusion that the time people can see them on the training pitch is all the time they spend there a day. :cornette:

Folk using Paulo's reign as an example of how to train despite his ubertrained outfit struggling for any consistency in the league :cornette:

The top athletes and sportsmen/women in the world spend hours each day training and learning. What makes football players so different?

Locke should have them practicing set pieces for 1.5 hours alone, our free kicks, and most of all delivery from corners this season has been shocking.

Think the set pieces have actually been better this season than the last 2-3 some of the seasons past have been woeful

Gregory House M.D.

The top athletes and sportsmen/women in the world spend hours each day training and learning. What makes football players so different?

Name another contact team sport that trains for "hours and hours" a day and playd at the end of nearly every week amd sometimes midweek and provide proof pls.

Thanks in advance.

Name another contact team sport that trains for "hours and hours" a day and playd at the end of nearly every week amd sometimes midweek and provide proof pls.

Thanks in advance.

NBA or NHL. Played almost every day and the top players play almost every minute of every game.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Gregory House M.D.

NBA or NHL.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Proof.

Also Football pitch > hockey thingy > Basketball court.

Running > Skating.

Oh and I'm pretty confident that any footballer worth his salt is fitter than every single NBA and NHL player there is.

Thanks in advance.

Even the NFL too. And nobody is suggesting we have the players physically training for hours and hours every day, but there's a hell of a lot more that they could be doing to improve their game.

I bet none of our players know the tendencies of the players they play against for example. A wee bit analysis and studying would soon sort that out though. How many times have you watched a game in frustration that a player does the same thing all game and nobody seems to be aware Or adapt to it?

Gregory House M.D.

Even the NFL too. And nobody is suggesting we have the players physically training for hours and hours every day, but there's a hell of a lot more that they could be doing to improve their game.

I bet none of our players know the tendencies of the players they play against for example. A wee bit analysis and studying would soon sort that out though. How many times have you watched a game in frustration that a player does the same thing all game and nobody seems to be aware Or adapt to it?

You've just been told we do do exactly those things.

You've just been told we do do exactly those things.

I also read that many of the senior players train and then go home. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but in general I think football has a long way to go and could learn a hell of a lot from other sports.

And I think you need to watch an NBA game if you think football players are fitter than every single NBA player.

TBF paulo had 1 season if he had time to come in and build a team we would be bringing through fitter faster and better players, Look at when we played liverpool or tottenham, its mental the physical build difference between their young players and ours. Agree with the other stuff though, obviously they do gym training work on tactics ect in private

Think the set pieces have actually been better this season than the last 2-3 some of the seasons past have been woeful

Correct me if I'm wrong but have we scored from a set piece at all this season?

TBH we should have had that goal that was wrongfully chalked off however we really should be posing more threat from corners.

Correct me if I'm wrong but have we scored from a set piece at all this season?

TBH we should have had that goal that was wrongfully chalked off however we really should be posing more threat from corners.

Jordan McGhee scored against the sheep.

i am sure brad got one in the cup or pre season.

Proof.

Also Football pitch > hockey thingy > Basketball court.

Running > Skating.

Oh and I'm pretty confident that any footballer worth his salt is fitter than every single NBA and NHL player there is.

One way to prove it.....New Superstars

Aye alright then. Have you ever watched NBA? The players are fitter than fit.

:oohmatron:

We_are_the_Hearts

This thread is typical of why our nation will never reach the height of the 60s and early 80s again. Football has moved on, we haven't.

Gregory House M.D.

This thread is typical of why our nation will never reach the height of the 60s and early 80s again. Football has moved on, we haven't.

:rofl:

Blaming Scottish football for making a howler of yourself. :shark:

We_are_the_Hearts

:rofl:

Blaming Scottish football for making a howler of yourself. :shark:

What are you slavering about ya pleb? They don't work enough on offensive and defensive positioning and tactics. Both our foreign managers highlighted that.

i wish jj was my dad

One way to prove it.....New Superstars

Showing my age but I'd love this. Was it Bryan Jacks who was the world record holder at dips?

I actually think top level footballers now would shape up pretty well as all round athletes in this sort of thing. I think about 10 years ago Bryan Robson won some kind of remake with lots of other ex athletes of similar vintage.

Suspect Device

This isn't new, went to 98 World Cup, big crowd of us, wife's / kids etc.

3-0 down to Morocco and my wife who knows nowt about football turns to me and asks why the other team could run faster and jump higher than the Scotland players!

Gregory House M.D.

What are you slavering about ya pleb? They don't work enough on offensive and defensive positioning and tactics. Both our foreign managers highlighted that.

Which other foreign manager mentioned it? The only other recent one didn't actually have offensive tactics.

You made an arse of yourself by stating your dismay at the players only training for 90 minutes before being told that Jose Mourinho holds the same schedule and that tactics and analysis are done after training as well as practiced during it so you claimed the usual line of Scottish football being lightyears behind everywhere else when in actual fact it's merely money that seperates us.

Also, well done Paulo, his phenomenal improvement in defensive tactics saw us lose two whole goals less than the previous Scottish incumbents defence.

Nevermind, he has a fancy foreign name so must be absolutely bang on about everything in football hence why he's managing at such an impressive level.

Oh, wait. This is awkward...

We_are_the_Hearts

Csaba also mentioned the lack of tactical and positional awareness. I never dmsaid they should train for longer than 90 minutes, I said they should be working longer on positional awareness, tactics, set pieces and individual skills so read the post properly ya nugget

Are we aware if they train longer on other days or are we jumping to conclusions?

Are we aware that they maybe have sessions indoors working at tactics or even sit down sessions going over things....or are we jumping to conclusions?

Football has to be balanced. You can become swamped with too much and sickened. You learn then need time to digest, you don't work, work , work at one thing endlessly.

Gregory House M.D.

Readinv it properly, champ. You're definitely suggesting they should train longer.

That set piece training is a roaring success.

can see the dividends can't you? that hammil lad is bangin'them in.

Guest C00l K1d

Aye alright then. Have you ever watched NBA? The players are fitter than fit.

:oohmatron:

Aye, a very physically demanding sport.

It's constant running for every player for the duration of a game, every player attacks and every player defends and the game never seems to slow down.

When we played basketball at school you were far more puggled playing that than football imo.

aye, fitbaw players are unfit...........ffs, gies a break. If ye didn`t feel tired after playing football you must have been playing in a shite game , with non triers.

How does 1.5 hours compare to, say, a top EPL team? I would really hope that players stayed behind to work on conditioning and skills/general fitness. Just saw a documentary on Ronaldo and they were saying that when he was at Manu Utd he stayed behind after training to work on free-kicks, tricks etc.

I live down south and have some friends working at Clubs who regularly finish in the top-half of the EPL. Their academy players seem to train more than our first team. It may be the case that a lot goes on behind closed doors at SPFL clubs but to me 1.5 hours training (if true) is a little of the light side.

Then again some might argue quality over quantity...

Archived