We're from the capital, you're from a ****hole

The Merse

Don't like it? Start following indoor bowls.

Outdoor bowls is where it's at!

All cities have good and bad bits. Edinburgh has less bad bits than all cities in Scotland.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gregory House M.D.

Were you chauffeur driven at the time?

Don't be ridiculous. I was carried through on a golden throne throwing old bread at the peasants as I passed.

If you think edinburgh is beautiful you should take a stroll along princess street it's a shitehole. It's horrific. Sadly the council are on a mission to ruin what once was a beautiful city

Gregory House M.D.

If you think edinburgh is beautiful you should take a stroll along princess street it's a shitehole. It's horrific. Sadly the council are on a mission to ruin what once was a beautiful city

Put massive roadworks all over a street and you'd make Venice look shite.

The same dundee thats up for city of culture, getting the first V&A museum outside london, new rail station, over ?500m being spent on watetfront development, new schools being built.

60s multies being replaced .A world leader in medical research and computar games industry .

Going to be a centre for renewable energy .

Dundee will be a different place in ten years time , while edinburgh will have the trams.

All those things stated about Dundee happen in the city centre, waterfront and west end. Areas like Lochee, Fintry, Whitfield, Douglas, Charlston, The Hilltown (where the football grounds are) are all dumps. Nothing is happening to regenerate them. The only other nice bit of Dundee is Broughty Ferry, and they don't want to be associated with the rest of Dundee. Trust me, I live there.

All those things stated about Dundee happen in the city centre, waterfront and west end. Areas like Lochee, Fintry, Whitfield, Douglas, Charlston, The Hilltown (where the football grounds are) are all dumps. Nothing is happening to regenerate them. The only other nice bit of Dundee is Broughty Ferry, and they don't want to be associated with the rest of Dundee. Trust me, I live there.

fintrys allright mate. its areas like beechwood that are rats.

Governor Tarkin

Been through it a few times. It's like somebody dropped a tiny piece of glasgow in Edinburgh by accident.

:D

Fantasist.

Depends which way you look. Have your back to the shops and take in an urban view unmatched in the UK and rarely matched in the world.

Gregory House M.D.

Shouldn't that be waterworks? :whistling:

There are streets as well tart :P:lol:

fintrys allright mate. its areas like beechwood that are rats.

Man murdered right outside the police station, one f the most deprived areas of the city, highest levels of children not attending school across the city. But aye it's a good place to live......

Dundee is getting better which really is beyond debate. The Ferry is OK but quite small despite the number of people who claim they live in the Ferry and it is a bit nasty at the weekend. Prefer Perth but personal taste issue. Prefer Edinburgh overall. Back to the original post as a substantial number of the support possibly don't live in the posh bits of Edinburgh or even in Edinburgh I tend to agree the song is "past it's best" and is really best saved for visits to or from the old firm.

Gregory House M.D.

Any photo's of the housing that replaced these monstrosity's? Can't imagine it's made the place much nicer.

Oxgangs_Crescent_and_Oxgangs_House.JPG

Never felt obliged to take my life in my own hands and actually walk throughout the place you see.

The roads in the place even give off the vibe that the council have deemed it a no go zone.

Bunter is on fire here :lol:

Joleon nails what I was saying earlier about the snobbery, by the way. A lot of picture postcard representations of our great but flawed city, while others get looked down on without acknowledging their good points as well. Glasgow has its holes, no doubt, more of them than Edinburgh, but bits like Kelvingrove, Woodlands and Merchant City are all fantastic. Yes, it is overall nowhere near Edinburgh, but it's a lot more nuanced an argument than many folk are peddling.

at least it is brief. Repeat. End. It is best sung in places like Monaco where it would have an ironic ring to it. Like when st Johnstone fans sang in your Monaco slums.

"In your Monaco slums"

That is brilliant.

As my handle suggests I am in Alva, Clackmannanshire. Which is really very pleasant for the most part. We have clean air and

the hills behind us- it could even be Balerno! We have a few jambos here

But I'm not from here - I'm from Westfield Road. I was in Westfield Road last week, Oh dear.

Jam Tarts 1874

As my handle suggests I am in Alva, Clackmannanshire. Which is really very pleasant for the most part. We have clean air and

the hills behind us- it could even be Balerno! We have a few jambos here

But I'm not from here - I'm from Westfield Road. I was in Westfield Road last week, Oh dear.

I suppose it may become even more pleasant now that "Big Mags" is gone.

Not that I'm from Oxgangs but it think it's only fair that Bunter lets us know the area he's from for comparison.

He's from Tranent.

Although in his defence, he is doing well on this thread and I actually find myself agreeing with him for a change. :wow:

Gregory House M.D.

Not that I'm from Oxgangs but it think it's only fair that Bunter lets us know the area he's from for comparison.

I'm from a shitehole as well. My town however only became this bad when the invasion of Edinburgh types started with the new housing and the council deemed it a good Idea to situate every homeless junkie in east lothian in the same street.

Jam Tarts 1874

The City Centre looks like a shitehole due to the number of ignorant arseholes who drop their litter all over the place and put their bags out at the wrong time etc.

Any photo's of the housing that replaced these monstrosity's? Can't imagine it's made the place much nicer.

Never felt obliged to take my life in my own hands and actually walk throughout the place you see.

The roads in the place even give off the vibe that the council have deemed it a no go zone.

I took this picture last week.

bruges-from-air.jpg

Gregory House M.D.

Just done a wee google search and it'd appear the land has been filled with the identical kit houses getting built everywhere. The council area of these new builds is usually the new worst part of the whole town.

New York's a shitehole - some awful housing projects in the Bronx and Queens. Won't be going back until the whole place is like Disney's Main Street USA.

Shaking with rage.

Thought you travelled on a gold throne?

Gregory House M.D.

It wasn't even sung against spurs. It was "We're from the capital, you're from a warzone" against Spurs :P

That`s it wrapped up then.......the small toon mentality people on this thread have decided Edinburgh is a shithole........................glad i`ve been put right...

People from Edinburgh in bigging up their city shocker. Edinburghs a nice city with an amazing city centre. The problem with Edinburgh is it's inhabitants looking down their noses at the rest of the country. Perth, Aberdeen, Stirling and Glasgow are all good cities in their own way and much of Scotlands countryside is stunning.

It's a shame a large amount of people from Edinburgh can't enjoy or appreciate other parts of the country.

And the song's chronic.

bullshit...............edinburgh folk don`t look down their noses at other cities.............. its people from other cities who start their shite about Edinburgh that sting Edinburgh folk into defence.

I`ve had my fill of loudmouth Weegies, Dundonians etc,,,,, over the years giving it the big one about Edinburgh.......... I work on building sites and talk from much experience. Alot of it is jealousy believe me.

People from Edinburgh in bigging up their city shocker. Edinburghs a nice city with an amazing city centre. The problem with Edinburgh is it's inhabitants looking down their noses at the rest of the country. Perth, Aberdeen, Stirling and Glasgow are all good cities in their own way and much of Scotlands countryside is stunning.

It's a shame a large amount of people from Edinburgh can't enjoy or appreciate other parts of the country.

And the song's chronic.

Agree with this analysis however I don't mind the chant/song at a game. On second thoughts maybe these refs and linesmen all stay in shiteholes and give dodgy decisions against us because of it (only joking).

Barring the city centre and the West End, Glasgow is majority shithole.

As is most of the surrounding area.

to be fair it was just after the riots to Tottenham was not looking its best

and Millwall fans dont exactly live in Knightsbridge

Shiteholes they may live in, but they still live in the capital of England AND Britain.

Governor Tarkin

:D

That's an old photo but I take your point. Just because it looks a bit 'rustic', it still compares well to East Berlin in the early '80s.

As cooncil schemes go Oxgangs is one of the best anywhere. Anyone with the balls to 'take their life in their hands' by walking through it will tell you that. Even the local youth militia are fairly cultured, and the Goodies Bistro and Grill is one of the friendliest hostelries around (unless you're a squaddie).

It's all very well saying Glasgow has more shitholes than Edinburgh but it is a bigger city so that argument is flawed straight away. Some parts of Glasgow are absolutely beautiful too.

Both cities have nice areas, both have complete holes but it seems some people won't accept any criticism of Edinburgh at all due to living here. Even parts of the city centre are horrendous. As soon as you get onto north bridge it is full of junkies, Lothian road for me doesn't feel safe, and Leith walk. And that's before we even get to outer areas like muirhouse, wester hailes and niddrie. The superiority complex of people from Edinburgh does my head in. Everywhere has shitholes, this city included.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Seems it's the folk from horrendous wee shanty towns on the outskirts of the capital city that are intent on talking Edinburgh down.

Gregory House M.D.

Seems it's the folk from horrendous wee shanty towns on the outskirts of the capital city that are intent on talking Edinburgh down.

Jealous that the shanty towns have a community spirit other than mass snobbery and over-inflated ego IMO.

Jealous that the shanty towns have a community spirit other than mass snobbery and over-inflated ego IMO.

Tranent, the only place I've seen a junkie take his last swig of methadone in the High Street and put the bottle in the bucket next to me. It was a nice sunny day so I can only put it down to al fresco dining.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Mate, I could buy Tranent with a months rent for my Edinburgh home :smuggy:

bullshit...............edinburgh folk don`t look down their noses at other cities.............. its people from other cities who start their shite about Edinburgh that sting Edinburgh folk into defence.

I`ve had my fill of loudmouth Weegies, Dundonians etc,,,,, over the years giving it the big one about Edinburgh.......... I work on building sites and talk from much experience. Alot of it is jealousy believe me.

I've had my fill of Loudmouth Edinburgh folk giving it the 'anything west of Broxburns a dive' chat. Which just isn't true. :builder2:

I'm amazed folk are able to walk around Edinburgh at all with the amount of junkies and alkies that are apparently kicking about.

Gregory House M.D.

Mate, I could buy Tranent with a months rent for my Edinburgh home :smuggy:

In Leith?

:wiggo:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

JKB seems to be going through a period of adolescent rage at the moment.

Haven't heard the phrase "easily offended bus" for years but it's been used on here about 10 times in the past week.

Archived