We're from the capital, you're from a ****hole

The Merse

:lol: Have a word

Apart from the city centre which is pretty unique, what sets the rest of Edinburgh apart from most cities and towns across Scotland?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, theres more to worry about.....ffs, do people make it a side job to complain about songs and be genuinely bothered about them? Get a life.

Apart from the city centre which is pretty unique, what sets the rest of Edinburgh apart from most cities and towns across Scotland?

Apart from the best part of the city, what sets it apart from the other shit holes in the country? Have you really just asked that? :lol:

Why don't we just compare Dundee to New York, I mean, apart from the city centre and all their iconic landmarks New York's the exact same as Dundee.

I`ve worked all over Scotland in most of the main cities and i`ll come across biased, but Edinburgh is far nicer throughout than literally all of them.

Of course we have minging looking parts but largely Edinburgh is in quite decent nick and places that are deemed rough areas are actually well kept.

Apart from the best part of the city, what sets it apart from the other shit holes in the country? Have you really just asked that? :lol:

Why don't we just compare Dundee to New York, I mean, apart from the city centre and all their iconic landmarks New York's the exact same as Dundee.

Not really because I'm sure the architecture is very different, plus there's neighbourhoods and suburbs in New York more populated and vibrant than the whole of Dundee itself.

We've got a small city centre which is nice but outwith the epicentre, Edinburgh is made up of schemes that could be anywhere in the country.

Glasgow has a really nice modern city centre but apparently that's a sh*tehole. Which, I still think it is but that's besides the point.

I`ve worked all over Scotland in most of the main cities and i`ll come across biased, but Edinburgh is far nicer throughout than literally all of them.

Of course we have minging looking parts but largely Edinburgh is in quite decent nick and places that are deemed rough areas are actually well kept.

The thing that's making Edinburgh look a lot nicer is there's a lot of work going on to housing, particularly within schemes like Muirhouse, Pilton and where I stay, Niddrie.

However, in terms of long term residents, it's still essentially the same a**eholes living round me but in better houses. In recent years, the large boom of immigrants is actually helping calm down the trouble but they're still not very nice places.

Hackney Hearts

Just wait til they witness the wonders of Leith, Lochend, Porty, Niddrie, Craigmillar etc.

People do actual flock to the 'new' Leith. And it may not be Bondi, but most UK cities would kill to have as good a beach as Portobello on their doorstep. These are the things that make Edinburgh unique - so many different types of attraction.

On a serious note, the city centre is brilliant but can you honestly say there are more nice areas in Edinburgh than dumps?
Amazingly, I probably can. And there's not that many cities you can say that about.

a few easily offended people out there these days.

I actually find the song funny, and it's called banter.It is what happens at football. One set of fans sing a song to get at the other fans and they hit back with another.

Gregory House M.D.

People do actual flock to the 'new' Leith. And it may not be Bondi, but most UK cities would kill to have as good a beach as Portobello on their doorstep. These are the things that make Edinburgh unique - so many different types of attraction.

Amazingly, I probably can. And there's not that many cities you can say that about.

Porty and Leith are shiteholes no matter how it is dressed up. Porty in particular is falling to bits.

Leith, Lochend, Porty, Niddrie, Craigmillar, Magdalene, Granton, Pilton, Oxgangs, Gorgie, Westerhailes, Muirhouse, Sighthill, Pennywell, Broomhouse, Dalry, Drylaw, Royston, Gracemount, The Inch, Gilmerton, Greendykes, Dumbiedykes and a few more areas are extremely iffy areas and surround the nice areas to a point where even the nice areas aren't lacking "young teams" and degenerates.

:rofl:

Anybody that thinks Edinburgh is a shitehole isn't very well travelled...

Compared to the rest of the world it's a pretty stunning city. Compared to the rest of the uk... Well there isn't another city in the uk (London apart) that comes close

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Scotland is mostly a beautiful country. Song lost some appeal a while back, was extremely funny in its irony versus Spurs. If it is sung, best as a retaliatory put down to muppets, like Utd fans who sang we were going down with the Dundee. I feel sorry for the witless cretins who sing that to us weekly. Hopefully some opposition can come up with something a little more inspirational before the seasons over

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks this song has had its day?

It's brutal .

i like it, taking pride in our wonderful city, long may it continue to be sung................

Hackney Hearts

Cramond

Morningside

Marchmont

The Grange

Newington

All shiteholes right enough.

More "non city centre' shiteholes off the top of my head:

Stockbridge, Trinity, Inverleith, Duddingston, Craiglockhart, Bruntsfileld, Murrayfield, Colinton, Juniper Green,

Comely Bank, Barnton, Ravelston, Blackhall, Willowbrae, The Braids, Davidsons Mains.....

will-i-am-a-jambo

Jesus wept!

If you think Edinburgh is a shitehole I suggest you go somewhere like India or Egypt to see real shitholes (and before anyone gets upset there are some beautiful places in these countries too!) Actually I'll go as far to say that you will find that every city in the world as good parts and bad parts and I've seen a fair few of them!

As for the songs, I don't know about you but I prefer to go to a Tynecastle where there is noise and atmosphere which makes it one of the best stadiums in Scotland no matter how good or bad the songs are! If you don't like them I'd suggest you find something else to do on a Saturday, go watch Aberdeen and join the sweetie rustlers or buy some ear plugs!

More "non city centre' shiteholes off the top of my head:

Stockbridge, Trinity, Inverleith, Duddingston, Craiglockhart, Bruntsfileld, Murrayfield, Colinton, Juniper Green,

Comely Bank, Barnton, Ravelston, Blackhall, Willowbrae, The Braids, Davidsons Mains.....

?10 says you're an estate agent

There's a rake of weegies infestesting this thread with there glesga is magic chat. They can bolt because the weeg is a complete shithole fact!

"Some bits of Glasgow are nice" not a fecking chance!!!!!!!!

I vote we keep the song!

Hackney Hearts

Porty and Leith are shiteholes no matter how it is dressed up.

Your definition of shitehole is interesting. Maybe we're just spoilt in Edinburgh.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Leith is probably the best part of Edinburgh to go for a drink and something to eat. Also has a lot f character about it and one of the only community vibes left in the city. Very nice area.

:rofl:

Anybody that thinks Edinburgh is a shitehole isn't very well travelled...

Compared to the rest of the world it's a pretty stunning city. Compared to the rest of the uk... Well there isn't another city in the uk (London apart) that comes close

Stayed in a number of places in the UK, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester, London & Southampton.

Have to say Edinburgh will always be home but loved staying in Southampton more so than London, it had a similar vibe to Edinburgh - not sure if it was the student population and the heritage but was a fantastic place to live.

Outwith the UK there is only one city that made me feel at home and that was Florence, incredible place that one day I see myself retiring to.

Still every time I come back to Edinburgh my chest lets out a sigh and I know im home, thats a special feeling that im not sure others feel.

Gregory House M.D.

Leith is probably the best part of Edinburgh to go for a drink and something to eat. Also has a lot f character about it and one of the only community vibes left in the city. Very nice area.

It does indeed have lovely areas to be fair but some of the people that stay in it are absolute bams and some of the areas are horrendous.

It does indeed have lovely areas to be fair but some of the people that stay in it are absolute bams and some of the areas are horrendous.

What areas? The only bad bit now is great junction st.

Gregory House M.D.

Your definition of shitehole is interesting. Maybe we're just spoilt in Edinburgh.

Leith is a shitehole because it is packed full of junkies and neds. It does have redeeming areas and has probably the nicest place in Edinburgh outwith the Old Town.

Porty is a dump because it is absolutely falling to bits. the main street is a hole, the buildings look old and decrepit and definitely not the nice kind of old. It does have some nice wee parts as well though.

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks this song has had its day?

It's brutal .

Pretty much every football song is brutal. Might as well just sing happy songs about ourselves.

Surely being an absolute ***** at the football was what it was about.

Gregory House M.D.

What areas? The only bad bit now is great junction st.

Everywhere I go in Leith, outwith The Shore, I am normally no further than 20 yards from a junkie or an alky. Not clued up on what areas are called in Leith but some of them just look scabby and rough.

Some other areas that I've passed through look nice but there is still quite a problem with drugs in Leith which is holding it back from leaving the shitehole tag behind.

Everywhere I go in Leith, outwith The Shore, I am normally no further than 20 yards from a junkie or an alky. Not clued up on what areas are called in Leith but some of them just look scabby and rough.

Some other areas that I've passed through look nice but there is still quite a problem with drugs in Leith which is holding it back from leaving the shitehole tag behind.

MSA is spot on

The estates round Leith aren't all nice but no different to any other estate in the city

Porty and Leith are shiteholes no matter how it is dressed up. Porty in particular is falling to bits.

Leith, Lochend, Porty, Niddrie, Craigmillar, Magdalene, Granton, Pilton, Oxgangs, Gorgie, Westerhailes, Muirhouse, Sighthill, Pennywell, Broomhouse, Dalry, Drylaw, Royston, Gracemount, The Inch, Gilmerton, Greendykes, Dumbiedykes and a few more areas are extremely iffy areas and surround the nice areas to a point where even the nice areas aren't lacking "young teams" and degenerates.

Porty is in the best nick it has been for years. Finally there is a growing number of nice pubs and decent places to eat.

You are just utterly clueless tbh. :)

Holyrood Park, Water of Leith walkway, Cammo Park, Hermitage of the Braid, Blackford Hill, Corstorphine hill, ah canny be bothered moving five minutes from my front door types on here.

Disappointed to see people dissing Edinburgh on this thread. Despite the dreadful litter problem and the crumbling roads and pavements, it remains a truly wondrous place. An absolutely magical city.

They are all good historic Scottish cities, it's Glasgow that's the problem IMO

C'mon. ...Leith is a shi*eh*le...... All together now !!

ToadKiller Dog

Dundee is a hovel, should destroy trident there

The same dundee thats up for city of culture, getting the first V&A museum outside london, new rail station, over ?500m being spent on watetfront development, new schools being built.

60s multies being replaced .A world leader in medical research and computar games industry .

Going to be a centre for renewable energy .

Dundee will be a different place in ten years time , while edinburgh will have the trams.

It must be terrible having to mix with human beings? Especially from anything out EH 1?

The same dundee thats up for city of culture, getting the first V&A museum outside london, new rail station, over ?500m being spent on watetfront development, new schools being built.

60s multies being replaced .A world leader in medical research and computar games industry .

Dundee will be a different place in ten years time , while edinburgh will have the trams.

doesnt change the fact its a dump at the moment! iv lived in dundee for 13 years and its an absolute cesspit.

As has been said, currently it's a horrible place. Most Dundonians are arseholes too

Despite the council's best attempts to ruin it, Edinburgh remains a beautiful city. I don't mind Dundee either, it's a bit rough but plenty of parks to escape too. It's definitely better than Aberdeen which, west end aside, is a total dump.

Hackney Hearts

Or a cab driver who's nervous taking fares home to these areas? Lol

If you check my username and location, those would some lovely big fares!

It's a terrible song and always has been IMO.

Also, as much as I love Edinburgh and places like the Old Town are beautiful and full of history, which is IMO what makes it a great city and sets it apart from a lot of others, the snobbery here is hilarious. Go down George IV Bridge on a Saturday night and it is as swimming in pish and vomit and vermin as any other city in Britain. It's also deteriorated in the last decade, for me.

Becoming UK City of culture is a balancing act on one hand you've got to show that you're not a complete backwater on the other hand you've got to be second rate enough to justify a project like bidding for city of culture to raise your profile.

Places like Edinburgh, Oxford, Newcastle, Belfast & Cardiff don't enter it instead Dundee is up against Leicester, Swansea and Hull to replace current incumbent Derry/Londonderry

It's a bit like the Ramsden's cup in that respect

It's a terrible song and always has been IMO.

Also, as much as I love Edinburgh and places like the Old Town are beautiful and full of history, which is IMO what makes it a great city and sets it apart from a lot of others, the snobbery here is hilarious. Go down George IV Bridge on a Saturday night and it is as swimming in pish and vomit and vermin as any other city in Britain. It's also deteriorated in the last decade, for me.

snobbery? Whos being a snob?

People are just pointing out the look of the city and not denying the normal Saturday night stuff doesn`t go on that people get up to.......or day to day if we`re honest.

Some places in Edinburgh can be intimidating at certain times of day but it doesn`t detract from the fact its a nice looking city.

Archived