Jump to content

Soup


DG_HMFC
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Say What Again

    8

  • redm

    13

  • DG_HMFC

    10

  • NotVincentGuerain

    10

I go for Sunday dinner at my moms so she's able to spend some time with her grandson.

 

 

She makes the most wonderful red pepper and tomato soup. Just a subtle hint of chilli as well to give it a slightest bit of heat.

 

She's also a brilliant bread maker so you get a lovely wedge of homemade loaf smothered in butter.

 

Terrific.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My missus makes Corn, Tomato, Potato and Jalapeno Chowder. It's healthy and spicy and hits the spot every time. Utterly brilliant.

 

It's basically tinned corn, tinned toms, spuds, chopped jalapenos, an orange pepper.

 

Great tip - We freeze the leftovers and next time round we microwave some of those rice bags, pour the soup over the top and make a thick rice broth with it.

 

It's cheap and fast to do,brilliant if you're getting in late and the wee one's are a handful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

I remember when I was young that in winter we always had a pot of soup on the stove waiting to be heated up when required. It would occasionally be added to (leftovers etc.) but every 3-4 days whatever remained, if anything, would be chucked out and a new pot started. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Made the simplest yet most delicious bowl of soup this week. 

 

A packet of Knor Chicken Noodle soup brought to the simmer. I had half a packet of Chicken Fajita seasoning left over from earlier in the week so bunged a good bit of it in with the soup. Simmered for 2 mins and ate the lot.

 

Instant chicken fajita and noodle soup!

 

Tasted amazing :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, VladMagic said:

Made the simplest yet most delicious bowl of soup this week. 

 

A packet of Knor Chicken Noodle soup brought to the simmer. I had half a packet of Chicken Fajita seasoning left over from earlier in the week so bunged a good bit of it in with the soup. Simmered for 2 mins and ate the lot.

 

Instant chicken fajita and noodle soup!

 

Tasted amazing :)

does that mean when I put fresh black pepper on my soup it becomes a new super soup "chicken noodle with savoury black pepper" kinda thing..........never knew I could make soup until now.

Edited by reaths17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/18/2013 at 09:59, joe.gausden said:

Heinz Tomato for me :)

 

Partial to my mothers home made Lentil though. Nice and thick, sticks to the ribs

Would love a cup of hot Heinz tomato soup at the match at half-time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, reaths17 said:

does that mean when I put fresh black pepper on my soup it becomes a new super soup "chicken noodle with savoury black pepper" kinda thing..........never knew I could make soup until now.

 

Sarcasm is the lowest form of whit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...
Weakened Offender
On 23/11/2017 at 10:34, @VladMagic said:

Made the simplest yet most delicious bowl of soup this week. 

 

A packet of Knor Chicken Noodle soup brought to the simmer. I had half a packet of Chicken Fajita seasoning left over from earlier in the week so bunged a good bit of it in with the soup. Simmered for 2 mins and ate the lot.

 

Instant chicken fajita and noodle soup!

 

Tasted amazing :)

 

I often pop in to the Chinese supermarket in Tollcross for their noodle soups. The one on Dalry is decent too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I throw 2 cans chopped tomatoes, 1 diced neep, 4 chopped carrots, 1 large chopped leek, 4 medium potatoes, 1 cup of barley, 1 red lentils, 1 yellow lentils, 2 cubes chicken stock, plenty back pepper, top up with water and leave in slow cooked for hours. Then hand blend it down. Thick, lovely tasty and filling  (a bit like me i tell the Mrs! hahaha)!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Just made a roasted cauliflower, sweetcorn and lentil soup. Amazing, even if I do say so myself. 😁

Sounds nice but extremely farty.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Sounds nice but extremely farty.

 

 

 

 

No issues so far 😬

 

The recipe didn't include the lentils but I just shoved them in. Gave them a good rinse beforehand so maybe that's helped. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

 

 

No issues so far 😬

 

The recipe didn't include the lentils but I just shoved them in. Gave them a good rinse beforehand so maybe that's helped. 😁

Yeah.  Give it a few hours.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, redjambo said:

Baxters Cullen Skink. A bit expensive, but delicious.

 

can-of-baxters-luxury-cullen-skink-soup-

Hmmm.... as tinned Cullen Skink soup goes, Baxters is  probably the best one - but not nearly as good as you can do yourself at home using fresh leeks, potato, onion and smoked haddock.   You just have to take care heating the cream & milk - do it slowly so it doesn't curdle.  Add  a touch of parmesan and seasoning. Job done.

 

A good home-made soup of any kind is one of life's simple pleasures, especially in the Covid winter.  Some good creations mentioned in the posts above.     

 

One of my favourite shop-bought soups is Cully & Sully   Mushroom soup - lovely texture & taste , made even better by adding a generous  amount of dried tarragon.   Stunning. :smile:   

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I often take homemade soup to work in a food flask, can't beat it on a cold day.

For a while I was taking two food flasks, a fry up in one and soup in the other, the fry up had to go as the weight was piling on😞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I often take homemade soup to work in a food flask, can't beat it on a cold day.

For a while I was taking two food flasks, a fry up in one and soup in the other, the fry up had to go as the weight was piling on😞

Fry up in a flask, quality,😄great idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

Red lentil, cauliflower, broccoli, sweetcorn, pepper, onion, chilli...and a tomato.

 

Is it just me that thinks they should be a chef when they do their own soup? 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

 

That sounds delicious, neil. 

 

Do you use a vegetable stock for this? Or perhaps a chicken stock?

 

It is rather good even if I do say so myself.

 

Got a nice big loaf for it too.

 

I'm a veggie though jonno so defo a veg one. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Cairneyhill Jambo

A thread worthy of a bump given the cold weather.

 

It's the tit Monday thread equivalent for winter. 

 

Got the slow cooker on making some chicken broth soup for lunch tomorrow. 

 

Cannae beat homemade soup with a chunk of sourdough Bloomer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

A thread worthy of a bump given the cold weather.

 

It's the tit Monday thread equivalent for winter. 

 

Got the slow cooker on making some chicken broth soup for lunch tomorrow. 

 

Cannae beat homemade soup with a chunk of sourdough Bloomer. 

Cold weather? Pah! Gazpacho for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

Heinz cream of tomato served with ham and cheese toasties cut into soldiers and dipped into the soup as a quick lunch.

 

Marvelous.

Buy yourself some Baxter’s cream of tomato instead. You never go back to Heinz after that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, Tazio said:

Buy yourself some Baxter’s cream of tomato instead. You never go back to Heinz after that. 

Home made tomato soup and you would never go back to tinned soup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Home made tomato soup and you would never go back to tinned soup.

I do make my own tomato soup but don’t have a constant supply ready to go. And also on some occasions you just fancy the familiar flavour of the tinned stuff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, Tazio said:

I do make my own tomato soup but don’t have a constant supply ready to go. And also on some occasions you just fancy the familiar flavour of the tinned stuff. 

I agree about Baxters being better than Heinz.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Tazio said:

Buy yourself some Baxter’s cream of tomato instead. You never go back to Heinz after that. 

the morrisons own brand (not thie cheapest one) is decent and does not have that overly sweet taste i feel heinz has

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tazio said:

I do make my own tomato soup but don’t have a constant supply ready to go. And also on some occasions you just fancy the familiar flavour of the tinned stuff. 

same here, i keep a couple of tins in the cupboard in case i forget to prep lunch for the next day. homemade soup is simple and tasty

Link to comment
Share on other sites

for all those who bought the soup kettles - would you still recommend?

 

any brands better than others?

 

do they make the soup as good as using a big pot on the hob?

 

TIA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...