Door entry systems

Koolkeith

I own a flat that is ex council and have received a letter about getting a door entry system installed. Whilst I'd be happy to get one, they are estimating the cost at ?1,000 to ?1,500 per flat for the work. To me that sounds an awful lot of money and not an amount I'm prepared to pay at the moment. With 6 in a block they're suggesting that it would cost between ?6,000 and ?9,000 to install. Anybody know if this a realistic amount? With all the dodgy goings on at the council over the years I don't really trust them. They need to get the majority to agree to it, so might never happen.

I guess that might include a new door as well. I phoned them to check if the amount was between the flats, but they said it was per household.

:thumbsup:

Cheers. ?200 per household would be magic.

Did the door need to be replaced or do they fit the entry system onto the existing one?

On the same door mate.

I would be wanting a butler for that price, not just a buzzer to get in the door.

:lol:

It does seem an insane amount of cash for a fairly straight forward job.

I live in a flat in the city centre of Dundee that doesn't have one. It really is ridiculous that not all flats have a door entry system, and ?6000 for a door entry system is an utter piss take.

I would even just like a door that locks downstairs, would cost about a tenner for a lock and ?50 to get some keys cut.

I live in a flat in the city centre of Dundee that doesn't have one. It really is ridiculous that not all flats have a door entry system, and ?6000 for a door entry system is an utter piss take.

I would even just like a door that locks downstairs, would cost about a tenner for a lock and ?50 to get some keys cut.

The main problem is getting everyone to agree.

After the arranging of it here, I decided not to organise another single thing for the stair.

Most are great but the vociferous one or two just really dishearten you.

To be fair, I'd try and avoid getting a locking door on the outside door. I've found that the arseholes in my block don't bother locking it so it's as good as useless. Not condoning them charging 9 grand for a door entry system mind you!

I'd be looking for a moat and drawbridge for 1.5 k per flat mate. Shop around a wee bit.

I'm not sure how it's going to work. Kind of sounds like I wont have a choice. Will phone them again tomorrow.

It will only go ahead with a majority (I got the same letter & binned it). The council are not in a position to issue statutory notices, allegedly.

It's not a simple question to answer. It will be dependant on the specification, are cables being run on surface, in existing containment or new containment. Finish and robustness of units. IS it audio only or audio visual.

I would have thought you were entitled to get an alternative quote at least.

Discuss with others in the block and seek another quote and refuse the work, if you do it on mass then it wont be done.

Quick internet search shows someone being quoted for 5 handsets and the audio unit for ?500

Count yourself lucky is wasn't Fife Council. Old ******* downstairs complained about close doors banging so their remedy was to nail a block of wood to keep the front door open and ripped the back door out leaving a massive ******* hole in the wall.

Good news we're going to get roughcasting done and new doors and door entry fitted all for the bargain price of ?5k

I own a flat that is ex council and have received a letter about getting a door entry system installed. Whilst I'd be happy to get one, they are estimating the cost at ?1,000 to ?1,500 per flat for the work. To me that sounds an awful lot of money and not an amount I'm prepared to pay at the moment. With 6 in a block they're suggesting that it would cost between ?6,000 and ?9,000 to install. Anybody know if this a realistic amount? With all the dodgy goings on at the council over the years I don't really trust them. They need to get the majority to agree to it, so might never happen.

Rip off. We had one done in a block of 8 flats a year ago. ?180 per flat.

Statutory notices pretty sure can be issued under emergency situations, where there is a H&S risk if action is not taken.

No danger does a door system meet their requirements.

Hence the "allegedly". I have had an ongoing issue with a leaking roof in my spare room, this is not deemed an emergency. A roof that was not leaking until their contractors worked on it.... contractors that are or never have been on their list of contractors. :veryangry2:

We got one fitted not long ago, I am sure it was under ?200 per flat.

The stair was harder to get in than fort knox, It was brillant, Well until the jack ball and his jake ball mates decided to kick the stair door in one night. New entry system bust.

Some of the stories on this thread are unreal.

Serious question - what happens if you don't have that kind of money? If Falkirk Council presented me with a bill for over a grand at the drop of a hat I wouldn't have it.

Sorry mate didn't realise it was all council. I thought statutory notices were suspended just now due to the scandal about misappropriation of funds etc.

Some of the stories on this thread are unreal.

Serious question - what happens if you don't have that kind of money? If Falkirk Council presented me with a bill for over a grand at the drop of a hat I wouldn't have it.

So you're the reason my wages were short this month :angry:

;)

Hence the "allegedly". I have had an ongoing issue with a leaking roof in my spare room, this is not deemed an emergency. A roof that was not leaking until their contractors worked on it.... contractors that are or never have been on their list of contractors. :veryangry2:

Action?

Archived