The Government's decision to reclassify Cannabis

Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

From Class C to Class B without any logical reason is an absolute disgrace. It smacks of a desperate attempt to appease the Daily Mail reading, middle-england classes.

Their claim that "Skunk" is too strong and that it needs to be brought under closer control simply doesn't make sense. Surely if they wanted to be able to control the strength of something, they'd have to legalise it (like Moonshine during the alcohol prohibition). Brown describing it as "more lethal" sums up how disgustingly ignorant and out-of-touch he is; cannabis doesn't kill people. Yes, there is SOME evidence that it can expose pre-existing medical conditions, but alcohol does the exact same.

At a time when binge drinking is basically out of control, the government decides to attack a relatively harmless drug. This will achieve absolutely nothing. Anyone who votes for this shower of ignorant windbags should be utterly ashamed of themselves.

EDIT: Mods could you move this please?

Its a farce... the more they move the classifications about the less people respect them.

The fact the goverment isnt even listening to experts goes to show how much the government are out of touch.

Government - a wee message;

Turn on and tune in before you have to drop out!

Say What Again
Yes, there is SOME evidence that it can expose pre-existing medical conditions, but alcohol does the exact same.

An 'expert' on the radio yesterday claimed that to prevent just 1 case of schizophrenia that could be linked to cannabis use, you would have to prevent 20,000 people smoking it.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

What difference is it going to make to anyone?

You could go out and get a Class A within half an hour so it really will not change a thing.

The government just do this because drugs aren't taxable. :)

This is an attempt by the Government to somehow appease the Daily Mail demographic so they can say to the electorate that will hold the balance "look, we are tough on drugs".

Completely based on politiking and nothing to do with policy or comon sense or anything else.

We know who the real "dopes" are here...

cosanostra
This is an attempt by the Government to somehow appease the Daily Mail demographic so they can say to the electorate that will hold the balance "look, we are tough on drugs".

Completely based on politiking and nothing to do with policy or comon sense or anything else.

We know who the real "dopes" are here...

Yeah, it's an absolute joke.

It has **** all to do with helping or protecting anyone.

Commander Harris

while i agree that drugs policy should be evidence based and therefore cannabis should remain a class C drug (if that is what the evidence suggests) - I think it is important to remember that cannabis is NOT a safe drug and does cause some people significant problems.

It never changed in Scotland in the first place anyway.

I'm pretty sure it did given that drugs policy is a reserved matter for Westminster.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Does any really care? Hardly anyone smokes nowadays anyway - the majority of those that do have been doing it for years.

The government should be looking at ways to make it harder for folk to get their hands on Class A drugs. It takes no longer than 30 mins to do so nowadays. That says it all in my opinion.

Who really cares? Hardly anyone smokes nowadays anyway - the majority of those that do have been doing it for years.

The government should be looking at ways to make it harder for folk to get their hands on Class A drugs. It takes no longer than 30 mins to do so nowadays. That says enough in my opinion.

You sound like a useful person to know for the weekends...;)

Gavsy Van Gaverson
You sound like a useful person to know for the weekends...;)

Ha ha.

Indeed.

;)

upthehill

I think it's one of their best decisions. Funny though that it's fixing a problem of their own making.

Drugs aint cool kids, and neither are Labour politicians.

I'm glad the Conservatives stayed strong & consistent on this. Opposed the first reclassification, and warned it was creating problems.

Were proved right.

And supported the reclassification back to class B.

It's another example of why we will win the next general elections handsomly.

We mean what we say, and do what we say. Unlike Labour who blow about in the breeze

I think it's one of their best decisions. Funny though that it's fixing a problem of their own making.

Drugs aint cool kids, and neither are Labour politicians.

I'm glad the Conservatives stayed strong & consistent on this. Opposed the first reclassification, and warned it was creating problems.

Were proved right.

And supported the reclassification back to class B.

It's another example of why we will win the next general elections handsomly.

We mean what we say, and do what we say. Unlike Labour who blow about in the breeze

Yes, typical Toff Tories.

"I say you Oiks, don't do as we do, do as we say...yah?"

Boris Johnson, Mayor of London has admitted to using cannabis and cocaine. I guess it's ok for him to have dabbled and in a wonderfully paternalistic way to tell us that it is in fact no good and we shouldn't do it. Can't I have my opinion?

David "Dave" Cameron is of course to scared to come out and tell us either way whether or not the speculation that he has banged some Columbian up his beak is true or not.

Hypocrites the lot of them.

cheeseypleasey

when i found out on the telly i start shouting BOOOOOOOOOOO! at the tele,i shall never ever vote labour again in my entire chuff utter twats:evilno:

cosanostra
when i found out on the telly i start shouting BOOOOOOOOOOO! at the tele,i shall never ever vote labour again in my entire chuff utter twats:evilno:

I take it you were stoned at the time? ;)

People are usually at the root of their own problem.... whether it be drugs, drink or crossing roads.

Classification means nothing any more... until of course when you get caught which means you have even more to worry about and the police have even more paper work.

Classification of Drugs will never work.

Boris... well said sir... at least Cleggs up front.... "I shagged 20 odd birds"

I am no way anti or pro drugs

It is about choice. I choose not to take any drug

My proble is if they declassify hash etc then what is next?

PeterCapital
People are usually at the root of their own problem.... whether it be drugs, drink or crossing roads.

Classification means nothing any more... until of course when you get caught which means you have even more to worry about and the police have even more paper work.

Classification of Drugs will never work.

Boris... well said sir... at least Cleggs up front.... "I shagged 20 odd birds"

But drugs are illegal. They should all carry the same sentence.

cheeseypleasey

i think its harmless if used behind closed doors and not in anyones space/face its so wrong to reclassify utter baws !

what do the police think of this move ?

I am no way anti or pro drugs

It is about choice. I choose not to take any drug

Why should that bother you if you are neither pro or anti drugs?

Whoa guys, chill. The anger in this thread is making me paranoid.

Got any chipsticks?

:P

Tobacco, alcohol, caffeine...

New Year at yours must be a barrel of laughs! ;)

PeterCapital
Tobacco, alcohol, caffeine...

New Year at yours must be a barrel of laughs! ;)

Yes because I dont take drugs I cant have a good time.

Sad really.

upthehill

Boris Johnson, Mayor of London has admitted to using cannabis and cocaine. I guess it's ok for him to have dabbled and in a wonderfully paternalistic way to tell us that it is in fact no good and we shouldn't do it. Can't I have my opinion?

David "Dave" Cameron is of course to scared to come out and tell us either way whether or not the speculation that he has banged some Columbian up his beak is true or not.

Behave yourself Boris, stick to politics. Politicians need to be able to retain their personal privacy. Dave is taking a personal stand that only so much of his past if public property.

Boris didn't mind admitting to a spliff, but that was his choice to apper "cooler" to the electorate.

Cleggover and his 20 birds probably wishes he had not disclosed and taken Daves line!!!

Patrick Bateman

They can tax it and bring in millions of pounds which will help tackle serious crime and social issues. Bring the drugs out of control of the drug dealers and into the hands of the state - allow people to be properly educated about the dangers of drugs and such like.

The government needed to totally overhaul the drugs classification system because it simply does not reflect reality. Gordon Brown simply wants to expose us to his dour, grey lifestyle choices. The Tories are just hypocrites.

Behave yourself Boris, stick to politics. Politicians need to be able to retain their personal privacy. Dave is taking a personal stand that only so much of his past if public property.

Sorry, but not when they are saying one thing but doing the other! Have you lot not learnt anythiing from the hypocritical "Tory Family Values"? period of the mid 1990's?

Marriage, monogomy etc etc blah, blah...oh, where's my mistress/orange/stockings etc etc

_38542365_milligan238.jpg

_38674413_proctor238.jpg

_253432_cecil_parkinson150.jpg

edwina_currie_203_203x152.jpg

major2.jpg

Yes because I dont take drugs I cant have a good time.

Sad really.

No, not at all. Point is that not all drugs are illegal.

Personally, I'm all for mind altering substances be it coffee, tea, pot or whatever. I know what i like and know what I don't.

More importantly I'm pretty sure I know when to say no.

Patrick Bateman

So was homosexuality.

It's the 21st century, its time for people to take a slightly more progressive and intelligent approach; prohibition does not work.

Jambo_LuLu

This re-classification just undermines the whole thing. As a poster above brought up - I'd like to know what the police think about this! Would imagine it will just be a total pain in the erse for an already stretched workforce. Absolute Joke.

This country is getting worse :rolleyes:

Say What Again
Sorry, but not when they are saying one thing but doing the other! Have you lot not learnt anythiing from the hypocritical "Tory Family Values"? period of the mid 1990's?

Marriage, monogomy etc etc blah, blah...oh, where's my mistress/orange/stockings etc etc

_39265983_mellor_270.jpg

Think it's a great decision.

Anyone disagreeing with the reclassification of Cannabis is mental. How can it be a bad thing? If someone'e caught with Cannabis with intent to deal, then it's going to mean a heavier sentence for the jakey knob who's distributing it about the council estates. Also, if someone's caught with it, the punishment will be heavier too. Happy days all round.

If i have no time for these LCC hippy *******'s, if i'm honest.

Therapist
From Class C to Class B.............is an absolute disgrace.

I agree with it. It's not going to stop much, but it at least sends a signal that using it has the potential to seriously mess up your head.

maltese jambo

Gosh, you just love your Tory bashing!...just itching for it!

i think you need reminded that it was your beloved Labour party who has instigated this :) :)

The whole drug thing here drives me out of my mind. We spend a fortune on one hand prosecuting a guy who runs a cafe in the style of those in Amsterdam. Then we create safe injection sites for addicts to shoot up in so they are safe when doing so, meanwhile we are spending million enforcing drug laws.

On one hand we are prosecuting for drug possession and use, and on the other hand we are watching people legally injecting the illegal drugs. To further confuse we attribute something like 90% of crime to those drug users committing the crimes to pay for their drug habit.

Ach I am getting too old this modern world is non understandable.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Out of interest, is anyone clued up about drug testing here?

Patrick Bateman
Think it's a great decision.

Anyone disagreeing with the reclassification of Cannabis is mental. How can it be a bad thing? If someone'e caught with Cannabis with intent to deal, then it's going to mean a heavier sentence for the jakey knob who's distributing it about the council estates. Also, if someone's caught with it, the punishment will be heavier too. Happy days all round.

If i have no time for these LCC hippy *******'s, if i'm honest.

The classification system was brought in to reflect the amount of harm the drug does. Cannabis is not, according to numerous scientific studies, worthy of Class B. Basically, a government should not act against expert advice, it has already cost this country so much in the past.

Aside from New Labour's arrogance, why should someone who sits at home and smokes a joint be arrested? Would you prosecute someone with MS for smoking cannabis?

Really, the laws in this country are a complete joke. Best thing to do would be to fully legalise it, thereby removing the countercultural "coolness" - and gaining millions in tax revenue whilst also leaving room for education.

IMA MAROON

I don't agree with jailing people for getting high. I don't think it is right to lock people away for being stoned. I don't see the crime.

chewbacca

is blow taxed in Holland by the government?

on the police side of things i`d read some english county`s chief cuntstuble, or whatever, saying that the reclassification wouldn`t make any difference to his force, unless you`ve got loads to sell they`ll more than likely still jus give you a talkin to/take it off you and send you on your way.

JamboSean

The government should legalise all drugs and tax it. They'd make a fortune, it would be less wide spread, you'd know what you were getting at all times. None of this mixing it with X chemical non-sense. There would be no need for dealers.

People who want to get smacked off their face can do so at they're own will, as long as they're not harming any one else.

Bring back the Opium dens I say.

You can get perfectly legal alternatives in shops. If you know your stuff and the right mixes it still does the job.

Gosh, you just love your Tory bashing!...just itching for it!

i think you need reminded that it was your beloved Labour party who has instigated this :) :)

Think you've got the wrong guy here MJ.

New Labour has no love from Boris.

In 1987, a large-scale Swedish study confirmed an association between cannabis use and the development of schizophrenia. Ever since, it has become widely accepted by clinicians that there are links between cannabis use and mental illness. Experts have expressed particular concern about the mental-health effects of cannabis use on young people, as adolescence is the developmental stage when drug-using patterns emerge and teenagers may be more vulnerable than adults to the effects of cannabis?.

Half the reason for the increase in suicide amongst our young men.

In 1987, a large-scale Swedish study confirmed an association between cannabis use and the development of schizophrenia. Ever since, it has become widely accepted by clinicians that there are links between cannabis use and mental illness. Experts have expressed particular concern about the mental-health effects of cannabis use on young people, as adolescence is the developmental stage when drug-using patterns emerge and teenagers may be more vulnerable than adults to the effects of cannabis?.

Half the reason for the increase in suicide amongst our young men.

Perhaps a good point, but also alcohol abuse by adolescents will have a physical and mental effect.

Too much too young.

I'm still waiting for the explosion in nut-jobs that should have happened after all the e's ingested 20 years ago!

As with any substance that alters perception, if you are susceptible to mental problems then using these substances with gay abandon will have a detrimental effect.

If an argument for reclassification of cannabis is going to be made on mental health grounds then the same should be done to alcohol, however we all know this is not going to happen. Arguably alcohol has had and does have a more detrimental effect on society than cannabis does.

Thing is, if you had a public house that did not sell alcohol, but sold weed, and a public house across the road that sold alcohol, you could only imagine the diffrence in figures in violent related incidents outside each of them, probably more pregencies as well as abortion from the alcopub too.

I am not a massive drug person, but i do see that alcohol, which i do drink and weed, which i will on the odd occasion are vastly diffrent and i know which one seems more damaging.

Ps. i might not had much of a sex life when i was younger if i had just smoked weed though :D

upthehill
Out of interest, is anyone clued up about drug testing here?

What do you want to know?

It all smacks of rank hypocrisy, these government ministers bleating on about the strength being so much greater these days. Gives them a get-out for the fact they were all doing it when they were younger!

Besides, as I remember, the old sticky black was far more dangerous than modern-day skunk!

Gavsy Van Gaverson
It all smacks of rank hypocrisy, these government ministers bleating on about the strength being so much greater these days. Gives them a get-out for the fact they were all doing it when they were younger!

Besides, as I remember, the old sticky black was far more dangerous than modern-day skunk!

Black was great. I loved the smell of it.

Archived